Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am in need of a new fob shell, one is cracked and the other has broken bits... I have looked on Amazon/eBay but the reviews are all over the place so I don't trust them.

Does anyone have good experience with one particular "brand" or another and could give me a link to the one you bought and like?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
I'd recommend OEM. I bought one of the cheap ones from ebay and the face was worn out in a couple months.

Reactions: ThunderOne

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Go OEM. I already went through this and non-OEM sucks.

Alternatively, you can put a CF cover that snaps into place and holds everything together. I've had this for about 6 months and it holds my cracked fob together along with the key. The only drawback (very minor) is if you need to use the key to open the door (battery dies), you'll have to take it apart to slide the key from the fob.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Alternatively, you can put a CF cover that snaps into place and holds everything together. I've had this for about 6 months and it holds my cracked fob together along with the key. The only drawback (very minor) is if you need to use the key to open the door (battery dies), you'll have to take it apart to slide the key from the fob.
I like this a lot, I think I'll go ahead and go this route for now! Some of the other "covers" were a lot bulkier, this one looks great!

·
Registered
2014 6M, Recaros, Slicktop, Stock
65 Posts

·
Registered
'14 Coupe
148 Posts

I have CF on my spare key, the only downside is that my remote range is like 5ft with it on 🤣

·
Registered
858 Posts
Haha my wife ordered me the aluminum one because she thought it was cool... Got the key in after dicking with the little tiny screws and stuff, brought it to the car and it wouldn't recognize it to start... Pissed. Probably just need fresh battery.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a really nice real carbon fiber red key cover on my main key it works great. Just make sure the battery is good. I’m sure the range is reduced slightly but that’s the case for any cover put on. I always put covers on these keys eventually because the rubber on the back gets all messed.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I have CF on my spare key, the only downside is that my remote range is like 5ft with it on
I don't have remote start.... so not aware of the range issue.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bought a 25$ ebay one with the right fcc # and not only did it work it "self recognized" little scary. I can't really complain for key 2 . when I tried to use the door lock procedure the DIC said all the slots were full yet it worked

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,100 Posts
Personally I wouldn’t (didn’t) spend hundreds of bux to buy complete OEM fobs, program them etc, if your fobs simply have cracked cases. Mine were both cracked... well one was completely fallen apart.
I ordered this precise item, I found it simple, perfect replica of original, I’ll assume it will eventually have the same issue.
How many years, you say?
If the OEM you bought is not improved, it will have the same fate.
Nonetheless I’m happy with this simple fix, however long it lasts it will likely outlive my ownership of this one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R22T8...46KR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&tag=tapainc-20#

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
My experience included buying a some "Heart Horse"-brand shells so I could tell which buttons were which. They were beautiful, even IF they didn't necessarily have the crest on the reverse side. I could easily distinguish each button. The downfall was that the buttons were no longer functional.

I found some part numbers and ordered genuine replacements soon thereafter. Now I can clearly tell which button is which, and they work when pressed.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Personally I wouldn’t (didn’t) spend hundreds of bux to buy complete OEM fobs, program them etc, if your fins simply have cracked cases. Mine were both cracked... well one was completely fallen apart.
I ordered this precise item, I found it simple, perfect replica of original, I’ll assume it will eventually have the same issue.
How many years, you say?
If the OEM you bought is not improved, it will have the same fate.
Nonetheless I’m happy with this simple fix, however long it lasts it will likely outlive my ownership of this one.
Beefunny Replacement 4 Button Smart Remote Car Key Shell Case Fob for Cadillac XLR, for Chevrolet Corvette M3N5WY7777A (1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R22T8H2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_MF2GFABP4652M24146KR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,100 Posts

·
Registered
2,934 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

These are legit, not sure about range diminishing yet though. I ordered from this seller since they were a little cheaper and didn't have the fins on the sides. Now I don't have to worry about the case breaking and the key falling out anymore. And it matches the car which has a CF splitter and spoiler!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts