Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added an aeroforce gauge and thought I would show a few pics of the location. I wanted to keep the clock and used the ashtray adapter from WeaponX.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Looks professional.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Looks good, I have one sitting in a box along with the dual dash pod lol that I haven't installed yet, waiting for some cooler weather to get my gauges installed, don't have a AC Garage to work in & it's been too hot to mess with, besides it's golf season right now & that comes first for me while the weather lasts ...

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
That dual dash pod was a great investment.
I recieved mines yesterday. Ole Booooyyyyy....

Jason is Top Notch Quality...

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
That dual dash pod was a great investment.
I recieved mines yesterday. Ole Booooyyyyy....

Jason is Top Notch Quality...

That 3D print looks like garbage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,403 Posts
i just mounted it down there by cutting a slot in the bottom, zero dollars spent, i would say yours looks better but I still have the door so it depends on which you like better

I got to keep the clock , keep the storage door, cost me zero dollars and well under an hour's time start to finish including running the OBDII wire
thanks barry for the tips

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
That's the problem with FDM printers. Layers.

I have a Form2 SLA type printer that produces parts that look like they came out of a mold. But I haven't gotten around to printing any gauge pods. I have an idea for a design I like better than the vent mount, but I need a scanner to image the dashboard to design the pod so it will fit and I have not found a scanner I like (price vs. features)... But here's a part I made with the printer that will give you an idea of how different the results are...

·
Registered
2,712 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
That's the problem with FDM printers. Layers.

I have a Form2 SLA type printer that produces parts that look like they came out of a mold. But I haven't gotten around to printing any gauge pods. I have an idea for a design I like better than the vent mount, but I need a scanner to image the dashboard to design the pod so it will fit and I have not found a scanner I like (price vs. features)... But here's a part I made with the printer that will give you an idea of how different the results are...

Yeah SLA is cool but the build volume is usually small vs FDM and that resin is expensive and messy and also the material properties of the resin isn’t as good/versatile as FDM filament.

You can get good surface on FDM with a little work and post processing.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Oops. Now you've got me wound up... :)

Getting a good surface finish on a FDM print depends on the plastic you're using and how good your FDM printer is. Getting a surface finish as smooth as a SLA print with FDM requires a huge amount of work, not a little. I know of what I speak. I bought my first FDM printer when Makerbot released their Replicator Dual two-nozzle printer, which I'd guess was 10+ years ago. This was one of the first commercial 3D printers you could buy. So I've been 3D printing for a while. I went to SLA (which, yeah, is more expensive) because FDM can't touch it for surface finish.

Currently, I have a Robo3D R2 FDM, a Form1+ and a Form2 SLA printer, a GlowForge laser cutter, and a Taig 4-axis benchtop CNC.

Each one does some things better than the other. Next on my list - water jet.

As for build volume, there are a number of low-end SLAs showing up on the market now and they do have limited build volumes. Targeted primarily at jewelry makers for casting (there are resins designed for clean burnout for casting). They use DLP or LCD and high DPI means they have to have small exposure areas. If your panel is only 1920x1080 and you want 1000ths accuracy, your print size is 1.9"x1.08". The Formlabs printers use a laser with galvanometer steered mirrors. It's slower than DLP/LCD but it achieves a bigger build volume with a higher resolution at a lower cost.

Here's a part (actually, 4x identical parts screwed together in a 2x2 orientation) printed with "Tough" resin on the Form2. I would argue there is no way this surface finish could ever be duplicated with FDM.

And yes, this flew great. Survived the first few crashes, too. But not the last one...

·
Registered
229 Posts

The one I was sent is in great shape. One noticeable rough spot, but in an area that will be hidden inside the dash. Very happy with mine overall. I'll post pictures once I get my aeroforce gauge in.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I want to buy one of the dual pods and then buy another AEM OBD2 WB gauge. That way I can see lambda on both banks when I give it hell.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I added an aeroforce gauge and thought I would show a few pics of the location. I wanted to keep the clock and used the ashtray adapter from WeaponX.

Looks good. How much cutting was involved in the install?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
None, the door is removed and it fits right in the same location

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
I hope he wasn't holding his breath for 6 months waiting for an answer.:unsure:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess that was a slow reply, thought it may help if someone new was looking at the thread, here Is a picture of the removed assembly. It may help explain the install.

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
I installed the same unit, but had to file the opening for the lighter a tad to make it snap in place.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts