Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to adjust the fuel usage display on the DIC that tells you what your instantaneous fuel and average fuel is for estimated range?

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Not quite sure I understand your question.

The DIC has a page for both instant and average fuel usage, and the range does adjust based on how you are driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not quite sure I understand your question.

The DIC has a page for both instant and average fuel usage, and the range does adjust based on how you are driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is a 20% difference of fuel used for MPG than when looking at average MPG of the DIC.

For example, with my mods below, I used 17.1 mpg cruising with an "average" speed of 66mph and cruise set at 81 (difference is because even on interstate you have to slow down for stretches of construction or slower traffic which pulls down the "average" speed). Over the same distance the DIC said my "average" fuel economy was 18.6 mpg.

It only matters because I calibrated gauges and instruments as one of my duties in the Navy.

I'd like know if someone can adjust the car's calculations, probably based on "stock" injector size, to bring the real fuel used in line with display.

I also noted that GPS speed on Waze was lower that speedo display. I use 295 rears vs the stock couple size.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've corrected the fuel mileage calculations in EFILive but never tried with HP Tuners.
Did a quick look & could not find it... not sure I have all the features in my HP tuners though.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've corrected the fuel mileage calculations in EFILive but never tried with HP Tuners.
Did a quick look & could not find it... not sure I have all the features in my HP tuners though.
Even that would be a way, I guess, to correct, for what the car's DIC is telling me.

One point of the trip, on interstate all the way, the Caddy was telling me that I was getting 19mpg average and giving me range based on that instead of the 17.4 I actually got.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Do you reset the average after filling up?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did it on the start of the trip for comparison with new data. That is the final comparisons.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Even accounting for tire size the DIC will be off. I changed my tire size in HPT and it's closer but it regularly tells me that I'm getting 13ish on the DIC but I log every tank and I'm usually at 12 depending on the ethanol content. I'm not sure if there is any compensation in HPT just for the DIC calculation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Blades1_99

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
It depends on how your injector data was handled in the tune. If it was handled by doubling the Stoich and halving the flow rate then you also need to half the Instrument Cluster Outputs, and IVT Terms. The Instrument Cluster Outputs controls the DIC calculations. People over look the Instrument Cluster Outputs.

Reactions: Blades1_99

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It depends on how your injector data was handled in the tune. If it was handled by doubling the Stoich and halving the flow rate then you also need to half the Instrument Cluster Outputs, and IVT Terms. The Instrument Cluster Outputs controls the DIC calculations. People over look the Instrument Cluster Outputs.

View attachment 147624
I have no idea how it was handled but this would put me on the track to getting the DIC reading closer to real life.

Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is there a way to adjust the fuel usage display on the DIC that tells you what your instantaneous fuel and average fuel is for estimated range?
Not sure if the V has it, but the E40 ECU on my 06 GTO has a "Fuel Density" value that is only used for the DIC. After my LSA conversion, cam etc, I had to modify that, and now it reads within 1-2% of my actual calculated mileage

1 - 11 of 11 Posts