Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AC stopped blowing cold the last time I drove the V. My brother and I diagnosed the issue to a bad compressor. The clutch is not engaging and will not engage even when jumped at the relay. Threw gauges on the system and both the high side and low side are reading the same at 150 psi. Will I be okay changing out only the compressor or does condenser need to be swapped too?

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No leak. I wasn’t sure if condenser needs replacement now that I know compressor is bad. My clutch is shot and I can spin the pulley by hand on the compressor. I know on catastrophic compressor failure debris can contaminate other parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
515 Posts
Replace the compressor, the car has a replaceable dryer sock so you don't have to get the dryer itself. Pain to get the compressor out since it is so tight... The compressor belt is a stretch design so it is fun to replace... check out rockauto.com

· Premium Member
17,762 Posts
To be fair, I think my last condenser was $35 shipped. The dryer sock is on the bottom of the condenser IIRC and is also a bear to get out.

Depending on the mileage of the car, it might be worth doing all at once "just in case."

Getting the compressor out is going to be a REAL treat!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,316 Posts
just because the clutch failed doesent mean the compressor did internally. check for debris , if none id send it with a new clutch/compressor.

have you verified power at the compressor while supplying power? the clutch will always freewheel when not powered , thats normal. clutch should only be locked with power applied.

Reactions: SoCalDave and Karch

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Project finished up last week. New compressor installed and AC is cold again. The bad compressor had clean oil in it but the clutch had physical damage and would not engage. For anyone else that takes on this job you will need to remove the pulleys and water pump to access the compressor from above. There is a decent camaro LSA water pump video on youtube that I referenced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.