·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious about this. Probably 3-4 reasons why you have this particular car:
  1. Wagon carrying capacity
  2. 6MT is just fun
  3. 556/551
  4. Sleeper hijinx, helped by the Cadillac emblems!
  5. (blend of all of this)
When you find yourself thinking about a new car, do you think about something quite different like a C7 or do you try to update in the same sorta mold like an AMG wagon? Or is this the car we’re going to be buried in?? 7 years in, I’m pretty entertained still but I have absolutely no answer to what I would buy next. Guess that means my next upgrade is to a 3 car garage while I keep the wagon!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I tried to buy a wagon before I bought my sedan. I have a pretty well rounded set of cars. I try not to duplicate purposes and I've never sold one. If I were to buy something new, it would be to fill in a gap. That would likely be a Rivian R1T.

Tim

·
Premium Member
16,069 Posts
I often ponder what I'd buy instead, but with 900+, a manual and being personalized... I don't know what else I'd like better?

Greg is jealous- dudes flirt with me literally every where I go because the V wagon is so cool.

There are a lot of great cars out there. Some are even better / faster / more refined. But almost all of them are twice the price and not nearly as recognizable.

My Wagon is rowdy, fast, fun and paid off... so no reason to change. Even if someone offered MSRP - I can't think of anything else (I could afford) that would be as much fun!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Reactions: random84

·
Premium Member
16,069 Posts
I would trade straight up for a McLaren 765LT, if anyone out there wants to up their Cool Guy game with a sweet wagon...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Love the RS6 on paper and in photos but it would have to be one world-beating drive to overcome the $110k+ price point, the lack of a manual and that little whiff of hoity toity vibe that comes off an Audi for me. But damn does that car look great.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The word “upgrade” makes this a trick question that implies that the replacement will do something better. Quicker, faster, more spacious, more luxurious, better styling, better handling, improved technology, more engaging, safer, more fun? It would be really hard to check more than a few of those boxes with a single pick. IMHO, that new Audi gets pretty close but the price tag for a well equipped example is startling...and like so many performance cars today, there’s no 3 pedal option. Face it, a 6M V wagon is so unique that there is no “upgrade”...I’ll be keeping mine and just give it to one of my kids when the time is right (when I’m dead!).

As a side story, I wanted something fun for a daily driver while the V wagon sleeps in the garage. I bought a GR Supra which is crazy fast...but cramped and boring. I’ve only put 900 miles on it in nearly 2 years. Then a bought a Mustang GT that was plenty fast but too low, too loud and completely obnoxious. Every shitbox out there wanted to race and my neighbors hated me every time I started it up...complete opposite of “sleeper”. I finally traded that for a new WRX. Swiped my credit card down the middle of the Cobb Tuning catalogue and never looked back. Love it! Nicely equipped with Recaros and Brembo brakes, surprisingly quick, AWD handling and traction for year around fun, and fits pretty well into the sleeper class...and a 6M is the default transmission! Couldn’t be happier...

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
V3

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Tesla Model S plaid.

1) free gas
2) no driving skills needed
3) no wrenching skills needed
4) you can toast s’mores with it when it catches on fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I gonna worry about a new car when I'm dead.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My daily is a 2007 TBSS. I have a purple 2014 Wagon 6sp manual that will be with me a long time since it is becoming too valuable to drive. I also drive my '05 GTO more often so one day it is going to be swapped for a ZL1 with a manual, sunroof and video data recorder, probably with the Calloway 750hp package added

·
Registered
238 Posts
The word “upgrade” makes this a trick question that implies that the replacement will do something better. Quicker, faster, more spacious, more luxurious, better styling, better handling, improved technology, more engaging, safer, more fun? It would be really hard to check more than a few of those boxes with a single pick. IMHO, that new Audi gets pretty close but the price tag for a well equipped example is startling...and like so many performance cars today, there’s no 3 pedal option. Face it, a 6M V wagon is so unique that there is no “upgrade”...I’ll be keeping mine and just give it to one of my kids when the time is right (when I’m dead!).

As a side story, I wanted something fun for a daily driver while the V wagon sleeps in the garage. I bought a GR Supra which is crazy fast...but cramped and boring. I’ve only put 900 miles on it in nearly 2 years. Then a bought a Mustang GT that was plenty fast but too low, too loud and completely obnoxious. Every shitbox out there wanted to race and my neighbors hated me every time I started it up...complete opposite of “sleeper”. I finally traded that for a new WRX. Swiped my credit card down the middle of the Cobb Tuning catalogue and never looked back. Love it! Nicely equipped with Recaros and Brembo brakes, surprisingly quick, AWD handling and traction for year around fun, and fits pretty well into the sleeper class...and a 6M is the default transmission! Couldn’t be happier...
Wrx? Sleeper? Not in these parts, every Subi in their mother wants to race my V & Hemi. I do enjoy a tastefully done STI…but they just scream pricey ricer IMO most times, however far from sleeper. Also what year was your Supra?

·
Registered
245 Posts
My wagon is not a manual but it is a daily driver and has been now for 3 years and 65K miles. I'm currently having the same debate... as my car creeps up in miles (currently at 83K), do I put a cam in it and just keep right on enjoying it through 100K - 120K or take advantage of the current market and try and sell it? But what with? I need the space of a wagon for work equipment and two kids. And while I could go SUV I'd prefer to stay in the wagon world. Currently I'm debating over a 2014+ E63 AMG wagon or possibly a 2016+ Audi RS7. I'd consider a Trackhawk if they weren't still so expensive. The Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo is one hell of a nice ride too but also comes with a hell of a price tag.

But that about sums it up for me. With yours being a manual, if that's something you're trying to retain with your next car, obviously your options are pretty much zero in a car the same size. I'm leaning towards an E63 but I have not yet driven one or those or an RS7. Based on what I've read and owners I've spoken with, and knowing my own preferences, I think the AMG is probably more my style. If nothing else I prefer its aesthetic appeal... or maybe that's lack of its appeal to the majority of the population, lol. Good luck and let us know what you end up with!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My wagon is not a manual but it is a daily driver and has been now for 3 years and 65K miles. I'm currently having the same debate... as my car creeps up in miles (currently at 83K), do I put a cam in it and just keep right on enjoying it through 100K - 120K or take advantage of the current market and try and sell it? But what with? I need the space of a wagon for work equipment and two kids. And while I could go SUV I'd prefer to stay in the wagon world. Currently I'm debating over a 2014+ E63 AMG wagon or possibly a 2016+ Audi RS7. I'd consider a Trackhawk if they weren't still so expensive. The Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo is one hell of a nice ride too but also comes with a hell of a price tag.

But that about sums it up for me. With yours being a manual, if that's something you're trying to retain with your next car, obviously your options are pretty much zero in a car the same size. I'm leaning towards an E63 but I have not yet driven one or those or an RS7. Based on what I've read and owners I've spoken with, and knowing my own preferences, I think the AMG is probably more my style. If nothing else I prefer its aesthetic appeal... or maybe that's lack of its appeal to the majority of the population, lol. Good luck and let us know what you end up with!
I’ve never driven an automatic performance car. i somehow think just about all cars are more enjoyable with a manual. And SUVs serve a different purpose in the world to me. I don’t ever see myself buying one. So, yeah, I am running out of runway with the manual performance wagon being, um, dead now. My best answer seems to be "and" — keep the vagon AND get some other affordable ride to complement it, like maybe WgnLvr’s approach or Lance’s GTO/ZL1. Would have loved a gen 5 Viper as something totally different but dayyyum I missed that market and the price of entry is $125k+ now — yikes! GT350? 1st gen GT4? Depreciated 911S? C7? STI? LS swapped K-Car??

·
Premium Member
16,069 Posts
Speaking of my daily,

Yesterday I drove a different route on my way to work. Apparently someone noticed.

By the time I got home I was getting car show invites.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts