Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to put new tires on, Continental EC sport. Thinking about going with the 295 instead of 285. Have sedan with stock wheel, car is lowered with D3 springs. Typical bolt ones. Have a couple of questions that I couldn’t find answered using search;

- is there that much of a benefit to the extra width?
- will I have rubbing issues?
- will the tire size mess with traction control or speedometer?
- would I use 30 or 35 aspect ratio?

Anybody running the 295?

Thanks

·
Registered
469 Posts
Going to put new tires on, Continental EC sport. Thinking about going with the 295 instead of 285. Have sedan with stock wheel, car is lowered with D3 springs. Typical bolt ones. Have a couple of questions that I couldnâ€t find answered using search;

- is there that much of a benefit to the extra width?
- will I have rubbing issues?
- will the tire size mess with traction control or speedometer?
- would I use 30 or 35 aspect ratio?

Anybody running the 295?

Thanks
I ran a 295/30 for awhile, stock sedan wheels, stock suspension. The 30 aspect ratio will make your speedo run fast. No issues with rubbing. I also ran a 305/35 on the stock wheel before I got my new wheels put on, which will only accommodate a 285 max. Added benefits? I guess in theory the more rubber you have, the bigger the contact patch, the better the traction.... But depending on your power level, it may not make any difference whatsoever.

·
Super Moderator
16,474 Posts
If you run a 295, stick with a 35.

30 aspect ratio is too short even in a 305, it just looks goofy.

You are gaining very little by going to a 295 and GM stretched the 285 to reduce side to side roll.

295/35 is fine, but 305/30 gets sloppy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,474 Posts
Can you explain what you mean by “stretched the 285�? Approx what rwhp would justify a 295?
“Stretched” means the rim width puts the sidewalls less than vertical, it maximizes tread contact patch and reduces sidewall roll over.

GM did this on purpose.

Putting a 295 or 305 starts adding sidewalk bulge and increases sidewalk rollover and lateral handling degrades.

You don’t gain much effective contact patch going from a 285/35 to a 295/35 to make a difference.

Also don’t drop down to a 295/30 or 305/30, it will hurt traction as it effectively gives a lower final gear ratio. Plus the short tires look like ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Larry,

Is there any advantage of putting a 285 size tire on the coupe 10 inch rear wheel over the sedan 9.5 rear wheel...on a sedan? I know most people want to run a bigger rear tire, but wouldn't it be more beneficial to run a "square" set-up with a stretched tire? Except of course if your intention is just to drag race?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts