Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas what would make the #5 Coil pack to keep having issues? This will be the 2nd Coil pack I have installed in a Week?? I know this is totally unusual!
I checked my DSX Flex Fuel harness but its on #3 Cylinder. I switched plug wires around also that did nothing.
Possible to have and injector issue without coding? Spark Plug or tuning issue? Why only this cylinder?
Codes read:
P2313
P0355

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I will go pull it and see what it looks like. Thanks!!
It may look fine, but be breaking down for some unknown reason.
You might be better off just replacing it.
You could always measure the resistance against a known good plug.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I pulled 2 Plugs, they both Ohm'ed out the same. Gap was also correct. So I switched coil packs from 3 to 5 again and now I have no issues??? So guessing I have an issue somewhere in my wiring and its intermittent??

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Just because they "ohm out" on a bench tells you nothing about how they act in use.
An intermittent coil wire I would think would cause a miss fire code, however that could be the problem.
When the coil fails does it trip a code?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes when the coil fails at whatever point it decides to, it codes. So I will drive it, see how long it takes to break down. I personally think at this point it’s a coil pack harness, wire broken or pin bent, and when I unplug and plug it gives it enough to work for a bit until it moves from driving and creates the disconnect.

Yes when the coil fails at whatever point it decides to, it codes. So I will drive it, see how long it takes to break down. I personally think at this point it’s a coil pack harness, wire broken or pin bent, and when I unplug and plug it gives it enough to work for a bit until it moves from driving and creates the disconnect.
I also moved #5 plug to a different cylinder.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
A bad/intermittant input to the coil park will not cause it to burn up.
A bad output will.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Understood. So evidently the coil pack is fine because I switched from 5 to 3, working fine, and I switched the plug to a different cylinder. It’s good right now, that’s what leads me to believe a wire. This all started happening about a week after I got it back from shop.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Could be a plug wire.

The problem I have is that you should have tripped a misfire code before stuff burnt up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts