Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys I’m new here, looking at getting a Cts v for the next car and I’m wondering if you guys think they’ll hold value or even go up in price? What do you guys think? I’m stuck between a GTR and a CTS V. I’m wanting to make money on this next vehicle and I’m sure the GTR will hold value possible go up in value but I’m not sure about the CTS V. What are your guys thoughts? Thank you!

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I’m sure you know, in general, cars are not good investments. If you buy a GT-R or a V3 at a good price, and you don’t put any miles on it, you will still lose some money. Minus a wagon owner I know, very few of us bought our V thinking it would retain value. We buy them to drive them.
Look to the depreciation of all GT-R’s and all generations of CTS-V’s for the trends (my quick googling shows substantial depreciation in most cases).

Perhaps you want to consider 60’s and 70’s muscle cars, certain exotics, or unicorns to “invest” in? For a unicorn example: a manual V2 wagon will hold its value, and are currently appreciating from just two or three years ago. It’s all still a gamble, and it is always a bad idea to put miles on a car you are “investing” in.

I propose you buy what you love, drive it every day, know it will depreciate, and invest in the stock market, real estate, or other proven areas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m sure you know, in general, cars are not good investments. If you buy a GT-R or a V3 at a good price, and you don’t put any miles on it, you will still lose some money. Minus a wagon owner I know, very few of us bought our V thinking it would retain value. We buy them to drive them.
Look to the depreciation of all GT-R’s and all generations of CTS-V’s for the trends (my quick googling shows substantial depreciation in most cases).

Perhaps you want to consider 60’s and 70’s muscle cars, certain exotics, or unicorns to “invest” in? For a unicorn example: a manual V2 wagon will hold its value, and are currently appreciating from just two or three years ago. It’s all still a gamble, and it is always a bad idea to put miles on a car you are “investing” in.

I propose you buy what you love, drive it every day, know it will depreciate, and invest in the stock market, real estate, or other proven areas.

appreciate the feedback, thank you!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree with this. It’s not an exotic or a super car. Just assume it will lose money and maybe it won’t be terrible which is a win in my book.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello guys I’m new here, looking at getting a Cts v for the next car and I’m wondering if you guys think they’ll hold value or even go up in price? What do you guys think? I’m stuck between a GTR and a CTS V. I’m wanting to make money on this next vehicle and I’m sure the GTR will hold value possible go up in value but I’m not sure about the CTS V. What are your guys thoughts? Thank you!
Both cars are unique in terms of design and performance. If Caddilac announced discontinued making Vs I think V3 will hold up the value as most powerful CTS V 640bhp top speed +200 ever made. Then it depends into aftermarket companies supplying spare parts and upgraded the performance on theses cars. GM motors generally easy to upgrade rather than GTR. Yet still you will never make good investment unless you keep the car in garage for 15 years to sold it as classic in future...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
You should have bought a Raptor last year, you could have driven it for a year and got what you paid for if you sold it now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Both cars are unique in terms of design and performance. If Caddilac announced discontinued making Vs I think V3 will hold up the value as most powerful CTS V 640bhp top speed +200 ever made. Then it depends into aftermarket companies supplying spare parts and upgraded the performance on theses cars. GM motors generally easy to upgrade rather than GTR. Yet still you will never make good investment unless you keep the car in garage for 15 years to sold it as classic in future...

I’d say the aftermarket support for a GTR is much better than for a V3.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Appreciating newer model cars, are rare. ZR1's, 911R. Ford GT come to mind.. Currently, used CTS-V (gen3's) have seen a nice price bump, it won't last..
GTR support and motor upgrades are many, Cobb, exhaust, tuirbo's... 1000hp+ with reliability, just add $$$$.. GTR's will smoke just about any other supercar.

·
Registered
152 Posts
But due to the complexity of the GTR's engine and drivetrain in about 20 years you'll probably be able to get a GTR at a relativity low price because to get it up and running where it should be will cost some major bucks. It'll of be a Hoovie's Garage kind of thing, buy the car for a killer price and then need twice the purchase price to make it drivable or semi-reliable, where as the CTS-V should hold it's value with the easily repaired low-tech GM corporate pushrod V8 engine with a factory supplied Eaton supercharger that was also installed on Corvettes and Camaros. The only downfall will be the stupid CUE system. Yes, in 20 years a (proper running) GTR will still beat a CTS-V3, but to keep the CTS-V up and running won't put you in a poorhouse.

·
Registered
84 Posts
GTR s are about the ugliest girl at the prom.
You know what they really are. I’m sorry but that car is not sexy. Does not draw you in. A v3 especially modded the way allot of us have them here is still drop dead sexy imo. Even 4-5 later after being introduced. My opinion of course but I best most people would agree. Car people like us regular Joe’s as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Comparing a GTR to a V3 other than in the context of resale value is a bit silly. Two different cars with different purposes. Also, don't lose sight of the maintenance/repairs costs when factoring in your use. I've seen many folks have the ability to afford the monthly payment but when something significant breaks out of warranty, cars would sit for months until they could afford to get it fixed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Comparing a GTR to a V3 other than in the context of resale value is a bit silly. Two different cars with different purposes. Also, don't lose sight of the maintenance/repairs costs when factoring in your use. I've seen many folks have the ability to afford the monthly payment but when something significant breaks out of warranty, cars would sit for months until they could afford to get it fixed.
Fair enough. They are different cars. One a super sports sedan and one a dedicated sports car. I’m just talking in terms of curb appeal to me at least. I like alot of cars but the gtr was never really one of ‘em. What I said hold true in regards to the v2’s as well. Nicely kept mint v2’s still look awesome IMO.

·
Registered
2018 Cadillac CTS-V; 2002 BMW E39 M5
14 Posts
It's a very rare car that you actually make money on. Part of that is the cost of ownership. Even if the car more-or-less retains its value, that doesn't mean that you'll make money on the car after all your expenses.

And those expenses are numerous. Whether you drive the car or just store it, you have: registration, insurance, storage, maintenance (you'll have to maintain seals, gaskets, etc), interest, taxes, and other fees. If you actually drive the car, you'll have fuel, more maintenance, and the added risk of damage/curb rash/scratches/paint fade, etc.

Right now, older manual transmission, high performance vehicles are appreciating. The CTS-V2 Wagon has immensely benefited from that. However, those vehicles have not always been in vogue. The next fad might be early Japanese cars. Or it could be American sedans (US auto makers have killed off most of their sedans). And we rarely see sustained appreciation for "normal" cars; they start to flatline, then go up for a few years, and then generally stabilize. If you have a pristine example, you might be able to see continued appreciation, but even then it's hard to actually get a return on investment.

As an example, I own an E39 M5, which is now one of those collectors cars seeing incredible appreciation. I bought the car about 10 years ago with 60k miles, and I've put on another 80k miles. I am meticulous about taking care of it, and other than a few minor defects, it looks brand new. I paid $22.5k for it, and I could probably sell it for around $20k. That seems amazing; only $2k of depreciation over 10 years! However, how much did I spend on the car during that time? Since I keep all my service records, I did the math: the car has cost me somewhere around $40k to own, not including the $22.5k I paid for it!!! Hardly a return on investment. If I never drove the car when I bought it, and stored it the whole time, I probably would have "only" spent an additional $20k on it. Which means I would still need to be able to sell the car for around $55k in order to just keep pace with inflation. Much less other investment opportunities.

My advice: buy the car you want to drive, drive it, and enjoy every minute of it! Personally, my life is so much richer for having owned the M5; if you forced me to scrap it tomorrow, I'd still feel like I got my money's worth.

So far, my CTS-V3 is the same way; I love driving it, and my daily commute is better for it (don't tell my M5).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts