Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2014 V2 has a bit of a notchy shift action I'm trying to improve:

2nd gear especially takes an extra firm pull to engage, especially when cold. Improves a bit once warmed up.

It came to me with a short shifter installed, can't tell you which manufacturer or model.

I changed the fluid 600 miles ago with OEM GM for a track day. Seemed a bit better and did fine at the track day, now back to a little cranky and takes a concerted effort to make sure 2nd engages, other gears feel a little notchy but not near as bad as 2nd which feels like a 2 stage action.

Couple questions:

1, Do you think it could be the short shifter? Since it changes a little once warmed up I'd have to guess it's inside the transmission but really don't know. Could adjusting or greasing the shifter at some point help?

2, Who makes the absolute best tranny fluid for this as I'm game to change it again with one of the boutiques like Amsoil or Royal Purple. Suggestions and part numbers to order?

3, on my Cummins NV5600 6 speed, it's recommended on the interwebs to overfill through the shifter and adding an extra quart or 2 in this fashion did help shifting action a bit. Is there a method to overfill the the TR6060 and is it known to help shifting or longevity?

4, or is this a prelude to a rebuild?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
Quite a few smart gentlemen here that can probably answer all of your questions with certainty. I unfortunately am not one of them.

I will say this, it is a known practice to overfill our transmissions as well.

·
Premium Member
17,761 Posts
I like redline A4 for manual trans fluid.

I have a thread somewhere on adjusting the shifter linkage. They do losen up with time, but usually Reverse goes first. There are a few tricks to checking the mounting screws in the shifter box and the shifter box mounting fork.

The shifter itself also could be loose depending on the model - there is usually a tightening bolt at the bottom that holds them together

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I like redline A4 for manual trans fluid.

I have a thread somewhere on adjusting the shifter linkage. They do losen up with time, but usually Reverse goes first. There are a few tricks to checking the mounting screws in the shifter box and the shifter box mounting fork.

The shifter itself also could be loose depending on the model - there is usually a tightening bolt at the bottom that holds them together

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
Agree with Random on linkage adjustment. Need more info about car. Power level, mileage, stock clutch, do you think it was beat on by the last owner? Also there are two types of GM fluid you can get, one is approx $10 a bottle and the other (recommended) is $25 per. I've never used the Redline in mine, but I'll see what the guys at Tick Performance tell me to use once I get mine back from rebuild/mods..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agree with Random on linkage adjustment. Need more info about car. Power level, mileage, stock clutch, do you think it was beat on by the last owner? Also there are two types of GM fluid you can get, one is approx $10 a bottle and the other (recommended) is $25 per. I've never used the Redline in mine, but I'll see what the guys at Tick Performance tell me to use once I get mine back from rebuild/mods..

2014, amazing body and cabin condition. 53,000 miles, no issues but I'm sure it was driven by an enthusiast as it should have been. Significant external mods and about 650 hp plus injectors. Bought from a dealer so no real definite history as I lost the phone to water that had the mod details:

headers, cat delete, pulley, e85, tune adjusts for e%, cold air intake, mighty mouse catch. No mention of deck, cams, internal mods.

I'll have my guy look at the linkage, seems a good place to start from this thread.

Thanks everyone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.