Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '12 CTS-V (6M) and I was just driving it (about 20 miles) and brought it home and parked it.
Now an hour later I can't get it to start. Nothing happens when I turn the start knob. The fob will
lock/unlock, open trunk, so I don't think the fob battery is dead. This is my daily driver and I have not
been experiencing any issues and have no mods to speak of. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What's the display show for volts?
I have no display, nothing. To clarify, other than the functions on the key fob and the door lock, there is nothing. I actually cannot turn the start knob. I did try
jumping it and still nothing. I have never had the start knob lock on me like this. The only display item I can get is setting the parking brake. I can't release
it though. I was also able to eject the CD. I tried the old school method of moving the steering wheel around but the start knob stays locked, and yes, I have the brake and clutch pedals pressed down.

Also, the mirrors, steering column adjust, seats and seat memories all work.

·
Registered
769 Posts
These cars are a little tougher than anything else I have had to jump start. I have yet to get one to jump start without first leaving it hooked up to a running vehicle for at least 15-20min first. Might try putting it on a charger for an hour or two then trying again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These cars are a little tougher than anything else I have had to jump start. I have yet to get one to jump start without first leaving it hooked up to a running vehicle for at least 15-20min first. Might try putting it on a charger for an hour or two then trying again.
I jumped it using my NOCO charger. I have put it back on and left it for now.

I also do not have brake lights!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 2011 that had a bad ignition lock cylinder control actuator which is located on the steering column. it's the thing that locks the steering wheel, turns out an internal contact was bad. The dealer took care of the replacement, had to get towed in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have 2011 that had a bad ignition lock cylinder control actuator which is located on the steering column. it's the thing that locks the steering wheel, turns out an internal contact was bad. The dealer took care of the replacement, had to get towed in.
The nearest dealer is 40 miles away from me. How can I get it towed with the parking brake engaged?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I jumped it using my NOCO charger. I have put it back on and left it for now.

I also do not have brake lights!
If you are using the handheld NOCO charger it will not have enough to help start it.
if the battery in the car is suspect.
as stated leave it charge for 15/20 minutes on a PLUG IN CHARGER.
(ie plugged into a 120 volt line)

I have a handheld charger it it didn't have enough to start my GN.
And yes it was fully charged.

·
Super Moderator
21,522 Posts
Is it a clean titled car, or salvage title?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you are using the handheld NOCO charger it will not have enough to help start it.
if the battery in the car is suspect.
as stated leave it charge for 15/20 minutes on a PLUG IN CHARGER.
(ie plugged into a 120 volt line)

I have a handheld charger it it didn't have enough to start my GN.
And yes it was fully charged.
I was just driving the car fine a few hours ago. No issues starting it at all. I don't think the battery is the issue. What would cause the start knob to not turn? Maybe it broke?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The nearest dealer is 40 miles away from me. How can I get it towed with the parking brake engaged?
You need a tow company that has dollies for the back while they hook to your front, all wheels off the ground.
You state that the starting cylinder will not turn, this is a sign of the lock cylinder switch not making contact.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I want to thank everyone who responded for all of the suggestions. I ended up making an appointment for this morning at the nearest Cadillac dealer (about 30 miles away) and found a decent price on a tow truck. The tow truck came out here and one of the guys asked if I had tried disconnecting the battery. I had not, so I grabbed a 10mm wrench and disconnected the negative terminal from the battery, waited a few minutes, then when I reconnected it, the horn started beeping, but the car started! Holy crap am I relieved!

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
That's good news! Tow truck driver deserves a good tip!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Might want to get the battery checked just in case. I'd also replace the FOB battery. They are cheap.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts