Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original headlights filled with moisture. Passenger side filled with water and headlight burned out. Lens cracked a bit so would be tough to reseal. Because of this we replaced with headlight assemblies from Certafit. It now has an AFL code. Can that code be turned off?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Original headlights filled with moisture. Passenger side filled with water and headlight burned out. Lens cracked a bit so would be tough to reseal. Because of this we replaced with headlight assemblies from Certafit. It now has an AFL code. Can that code be turned off?

I wish but I don't think so. My original passenger AFL headlight tries to move but gets stuck during the power on sweep. It displays the Service AFL every time I turn the key on. I pulled it off twice and tried to fix it but I was unsuccessful.

I have not found a way to disable it yet. I think it is controlled by the BCM and I do not have a tool that can access that.

I would love to hear about it if others have been able to resolve this issue.

Subscribed

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had this problem a while back. Cheapest solution is to find a wrecked headlight and salvage the AFL servo out of it, then take the headlight apart and replace the servo. Less cheap solution is to find a used one and replace the (probably) faded/hazed lens. Not cheap solution is to buy a new one. 😁

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
My lens and housings look good enough for a 12 year old car. Cleaned have them up with abralon pads and polish a few times.

Something on my passenger side is internally broken, bent, binding and won't complete the motorized sweep. The driver's side works perfectly.
When I removed the passenger headlight and pulled the covers off the back, I moved it by hand. It was very difficult to move and in spots won't move without feeling like it is going to break.

I have yet to find any aftermarket complete headlights that have the AFL functionality. They all say "direct replacement" and will fit, but don't have Xenon lights or the AFL feature. They are halogen and rigid mounted, although I have never heard of the Spyder ones. I will look into them.

As everyone knows replacement used ones are $400-600 each and new are even more cost prohibitive.

I have lived with it for a few years and just hit the check mark button on the dash to turn off the message until the next restart.......

EDIT I just checked the Spyder Auto site. They don't list any products for the CTS-V, only the Escalade and SRX.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My lens and housings look good enough for a 12 year old car. Cleaned have them up with abralon pads and polish a few times.

Something on my passenger side is internally broken, bent, binding and won't complete the motorized sweep. The driver's side works perfectly.
When I removed the passenger headlight and pulled the covers off the back, I moved it by hand. It was very difficult to move and in spots won't move without feeling like it is going to break.

I have yet to find any aftermarket complete headlights that have the AFL functionality. They all say "direct replacement" and will fit, but don't have Xenon lights or the AFL feature. They are halogen and rigid mounted, although I have never heard of the Spyder ones. I will look into them.

As everyone knows replacement used ones are $400-600 each and new are even more cost prohibitive.

I have lived with it for a few years and just hit the check mark button on the dash to turn off the message until the next restart.......

EDIT I just checked the Spyder Auto site. They don't list any products for the CTS-V, only the Escalade and SRX.
I got mine from the CTS-V facebook group, but you could also try local junkyards. The only problem with junkyards is that the headlights are usually filled with water, which pretty much ruins the servo. It's possible the AFL servo is the same as on other models, but I wouldn't know how to find that info since it's not a replaceable part and has no part# (that I'm aware of).

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Thanks!
It is interesting that the Spyder Auto site does not list them - at least that I could find.

I don't see confirmation that these have the AFL feature.
I also see that you have to transplant your HID from your originals into them.
So I am guess you would have to open them up to do that. Anyone done that before?

VEHICLE FITMENT
  • 2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V w/ Factory Xenon HID Headlights Only
  • Not Compatible with Models w/ Halogen Headlights
  • OEM Xenon HID components must be transferred to this headlight

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. Really nice guy via email and very helpful. My problem is he is afraid the chrome would come off during repair and cleaning and since I want to stay stock looking that wouldn't really work for me. I could have him paint them and never worry about the chrome again however. I'm still thinking it over. I'm really a chrome girl though. My favorite color is Chrome. lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2012 V Coupe Auto with a view of the Moon
783 Posts
Yes. Really nice guy via email and very helpful. My problem is he is afraid the chrome would come off during repair and cleaning and since I want to stay stock looking that wouldn't really work for me. I could have him paint them and never worry about the chrome again however. I'm still thinking it over. I'm really a chrome girl though. My favorite color is Chrome. lol
Black Raven V looks good! Good luck on the headlights!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Maybe contact Tundra see if they can third-party a deal for someone’s chrome trim that’s in for the black out treatment. Far stretch, but a thought.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He did offer that and also said the same - it may be a while before someone else has decent chrome.

Nxtglow says they can repaint the chrome if it comes off? I'm still trying to figure out how chrome comes off with cleaning?

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
That Camaro....Oh my.

·
Registered
478 Posts
He did offer that and also said the same - it may be a while before someone else has decent chrome.

Nxtglow says they can repaint the chrome if it comes off? I'm still trying to figure out how chrome comes off with cleaning?
when I was customizing headlights years ago we’d use easy off oven cleaner to remove the “chrome” as it was just a thin coating similar to the grilles on many cars and trucks. Not much real chrome being used these days.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts