Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had her for about a year now and she's at 102k miles and stock minus intake and cc. I'm going to take this in steps as not wanting to get a divorce over the cost.
From what I have been reading on here is cooling should be addressed first so I'm going to order the Fabtech HE, a reinforced brick and upgraded pump.
I'll then do an upper pulley followed by headers and green cats. From there it will probably cascade...
I will be doing all of the work myself as well.

Couple of questions for the inmates.
1. Should I have any concerns/limitations with this kind of mileage?
2. Is my plan in line with what should/could be done?

SC and rear end were recently replaced under warranty.

TIA,

Dave

·
Super Moderator
21,719 Posts
Don’t bother with headers unless you plan to go beyond 650 rwhp, not in Cali, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Sticky tires are your friend. Any and all mods are dependent on being able to hook.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Okay so if I don't go with headers is there any other thing I can do to the stock exhaust to get better flow. That flat pipe just under the driver side has got to restrict things a bit.
Are there free-flowing cats to replace the factory ones? Or is there such an offering in this communist kamifornia...😁

Want to also mention this is my daily driver for now.

·
Registered
213 Posts
In CA you'll need your stock / OE cats to pass smog. The gestapo won't allow you to use aftermarket cats. You're going to have to save some stock smog parts for when the times comes and spend a weekend swapping part out before testing.

·
Super Moderator
21,719 Posts
What is your rwhp goal?

I think Kooks green cats might be carb compliant?

If you only do a pulley and intake, your stock cats will live.

The stock exhaust doesn’t hold you back as much as you might think. Get rid of the crimp section for peace of mind if you want.

You could look at alternative smog cert options.

Just saying, if you aren’t racing with a specific goal in mind, you might be better off doing less and staying closer to compliance.

There are creative ways to add power and minimize the hassle prior to the smog test, but the more power you seek, the tougher it is.

I’m considering selling mine, out of state, as I’m just tired of it all, and I don’t drive it enough.

I drive golf balls and throw baseballs now more with my leisure time. As long as my body allows me to do that, I might keep doing it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
What is your rwhp goal?

I think Kooks green cats might be carb compliant?

If you only do a pulley and intake, your stock cats will live.

The stock exhaust doesn’t hold you back as much as you might think. Get rid of the crimp section for peace of mind if you want.

You could look at alternative smog cert options.

Just saying, if you aren’t racing with a specific goal in mind, you might be better off doing less and staying closer to compliance.

There are creative ways to add power and minimize the hassle prior to the smog test, but the more power you seek, the tougher it is.

I’m considering selling mine, out of state, as I’m just tired of it all, and I don’t drive it enough.

I drive golf balls and throw baseballs now more with my leisure time. As long as my body allows me to do that, I might keep doing it.

Thanks for your feedback Karch, much appreciated and helps me rethink this thing a little bit.
At 63 years old I'm not the racer I used to be and with all the carb compliant laws in this fuked up state I surely don't wanted to deal with swapping parts for smog or alternatives every couple of years.
Most I will be doing at this point would maybe a few occasional passes on the strip at Irwindale Speedway during one of our family nights there.
I have the intake and going to do the cooling mods next. From there I'll probably do a 2.55 upper and see where it lands.
Would I need to up size my injectors with a simple mod like this and if not would I need a tune?

Thanks again for everyone's feedback.

Dave

·
Registered
66 Posts
Unless you are racing it leave it alone. Lots of money can make it go and generate lots of free radical testosterone. But it likely comes at the cost of reliability. I didn't race and still had plenty left for my girlfriends.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unless you are racing it leave it alone. Lots of money can make it go and generate lots of free radical testosterone. But it likely comes at the cost of reliability. I didn't race and still had plenty left for my girlfriends.
But yet you modified yours at 50k and still running strong at 200+k?
I don't track nor race my car other than some occasional pulls but would like to take it to a mild something that will last a bit...

·
Registered
66 Posts
But yet you modified yours at 50k and still running strong at 200+k?
I don't track nor race my car other than some occasional pulls but would like to take it to a mild something that will last a bit...
No mods. I spent too much money in the 90's modifying an SHO. Talk about stealth, most thought it was an everyday Taurus. Everything that could be done was done. I could not get a clutch to stay with it. Finally had one made. It just went on and on. It takes money to go fast. And it did. Yamaha had a platform on that Ford block which screamed for mods. Naturally aspirated it kicked out 346 hp and about 310 on torque after mods, yet was an awesome street car. I left some cam behind. I was worried about drivability. I only stepped up to the street cam. The transmission had some tall gears. Put it on the track and was absolutely amazed, as was the professional driver giving me instruction. FWD is not noted for its ability to corner. Finally sold it to that same instructor with 332,000 miles on it. He took it racing because it ate up the 3 and 5 series BMW's. Weak spots that could not be overcome were brakes and transmission. Both were insufficient at the 220 hp factory level, with no aftermarket support on either.

Then I bought an 03 baby V8 Lincoln, and succumbed to my age. A friend called and asked if I had seen the Cadillac V. I was not familiar with it, but when I read about it I bought an 05. Put 175,000 miles on that one.

Then had to have a 10. Neither were modified. Both ran fast enough to kill me. Went 170 mph in the 10 before I ran out of room. Sold the 10 for a 18 Z07. No mods. I am through with mods. I just drive 'em now. I am much happier. I can appreciate them for their awesome engineering and devote my time to other projects.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.