Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Thanks for taking a look. I dont post much on here but I always seem to learn a ton of good info from the discussions.
I have a 2011 CTS-V that had a lifter get wiped out. (see pic). A friend, and great mechanic, has pulled the engine and advised a full rebuild. This will includes a full tear down and cleaning at the machine shop, piston rings, all bearings, new oil cooler, etc. Anything that could have been effected by metal in the oil. We are also doing a mild cam, roller rockers and a reinforced supercharger intercooler brick. It already has a 2.55 pulley and a tune from wait4me on this forum. It also has creative steel motor mounts and front bushings
As they are rebuilding, what other parts would you all suggest since the engine is in little pieces? As a heads up, it is a street car daily driver. I don't want to make it a finicky race car, just a good solid, low profile fast car. I have a 19 ZL1 that I road race so I don't ever plan on turning the Cadillac into a race car. Look forward to any advice you all have.
Dress shirt Sleeve Collar Beige Wedding ceremony supply

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,470 Posts
Forum Rules: Pics of the wife and ZL1 first.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,470 Posts
Second post: wait4me was an idiot, get a real tuner. I'd suggest Pat Guevara if you need remote tuning options.

Don't skimp on lifters (Johnson 2110s are great), go bigger on your cam, and get your blower ported for a 9.5 / 2.5 pulley ratio. Depending on your local, a set of coated Kooks headers would top that off superbly. You'll need to match injectors for your build - but I don't know what you already have.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
While your engine is out and you're installing a cam, replace your lower pulley and balancer. Even if you don't put a large lower pulley on you set yourself up for future changes. It's basically free labor when done at same time as replacing the cam. With an ATI balancer you can change pulley quickly and easily with a few bolts and a new belt.

Reactions: jcs003

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While your engine is out and you're installing a cam, replace your lower pulley and balancer. Even if you don't put a large lower pulley on you set yourself up for future changes. It's basically free labor when done at same time as replacing the cam. With an ATI balancer you can change pulley quickly and easily with a few bolts and a new belt.
Db, what one should I go with? I have a 2.55 pully already. I don't want to overdrive it. Does that mean I need to change the upper?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Db, what one should I go with? I have a 2.55 pully already. I don't want to overdrive it. Does that mean I need to change the upper?
You have already ‘overdriven’ it.
As Karch said you are already overdriving your supercharger with that upper pulley. Stock upper is 2.95. The max blower rpm (and boost pressure) is a combination of both the upper and lower pulleys. You're at about 18% higher blower ratio and up to 12 psi from 8.6 psi. The smallest lower crank pulley for an ATI balancer (8.6") is a minor additional increase (stock is 8.1"), but will make any future changes a matter of a few bolts and a new belt. That will put you at about 25% higher blower ratio over stock and a max boost of around 14 psi. It's really a minor change for future flexibility.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great info!! So with a mild cam, and the other small upgrades, would you do the lower? Will 25% overdrive on the blower still allow it to live for a good while assuming a good tune? Probably an intercooler would be in order?

Great info!! So with a mild cam, and the other small upgrades, would you do the lower? Will 25% overdrive on the blower still allow it to live for a good while assuming a good tune? Probably an intercooler would be in order?
The other question with the lower, am I going down a rabbit hole? Will I then need bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, headers, etc etc. It is a street car and I want to keep it a street car.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The other question with the lower, am I going down a rabbit hole? Will I then need bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, headers, etc etc. It is a street car and I want to keep it a street car.
You need to take a step back and start researching your build. A mild cam is nice, but you're kidding yourself if you're putting in a cam and already have a 2.55 upper and don't plan on bigger injectors. It sounds like you need an advisor who knows the LSA. My V is not just a street car, but is my daily driver. 2.45 upper, 8.6 lower and lt1z stage 2 cam plus supporting mods. No issues with fuel pumps, but I did add an aux pump when I added flex fuel capability. Your current mod of a 2.55 upper is close to the most you can do without needing to change your exhaust. Cats can melt and clog if you generate too much heat. You don't need headers, but either test pipes or hollowing out your cats would be a safety measure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts