Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After trying to find some images of a V2 of a Automatic Trans Fluid change with zero luck, I decided to take some pictures while I was under the car today. While I have tons of experience doing engine builds and turning wrenches on other platforms, I have zero experience with this platform....if you see anything inccorect with the information below, please correct. From start to finish was 30min. If I had to use jack stands and a jack I would allocate 90 minutes.

****Do Not follow my steps, Read below to see my errors, will fix****

Steps:

1. Jack Car ( I used a lift)
2. Remove drain bolt and allow fluid to drain (see picture)

3. Remove the fill plug on the top of the trans oil pan (You can see below where the orange line goes into the fill port)

4. I used a transfer pump and pumped the remaining oil out of the bottom of the pan, I did not want to drop pan.

5. If you followed step 4 you will have to use more trans fluid than 6-7 quarts. Install the drain plug bolt back until snug.
6. Pump in new fluid until it seeps from the fill port (This took me 8-9 Quarts)
7. Start Car and place emergency brake on (Let transmission temperature come up to over 150)
8. Proceed to fill the fill port with more fluid until it seeps again from fill port (This took me 1 Quart)
9. Install Fill Plug and your finished!

*Warning* I don't know what those two big silver pipes running on either side of the trans oil pan that lead out to the rear of the cars bumper but they get very hot even after letting the car Idle for 5 min :(.

Hope this helps and shows people that this is super easy to do and minimal tools are necessary.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
mmm, when you said pump new fluid until it seeps from the fill port. Are you talking about he fill port on the side of the trans, or the drain plug?

The car is suppose to be in gear when you fill the trans, also at temperature.

·
Super Moderator
8,632 Posts
mmm, when you said pump new fluid until it seeps from the fill port. Are you talking about he fill port on the side of the trans, or the drain plug?

The car is suppose to be in gear when you fill the trans, also at temperature.
After filling it up with the car off up to 7 quarts, I turn the car on, let it heat up to temp then remove the drain plug. I then continue to fill the transmission with fluid from the fill port until it starts to drip out of the drain hole.

OP, I would suggest checking that the fill plug can be removed prior to ever removing the drain plug, especially if somebody is doing it outside of a shop.

Reactions: MYV and t.j.t

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
So I sorta of did it the way X96535 did, but I also did it the first time totally wrong.

Embarrassed to admit, but thats why I asked the op

First time I filled it to the fill plug, on the side of the transmission, until fluid came out and then did what he did, started the car and kept filling until fluid came out of the side hole again...

Drove the car for half a day and realized the breather on the trans was dumping fluid out. So I went back and re read the procedure on how to and at that point I was so over full all I had to do was put it on the lift and just got it to temp, shifted it thru gear and opened the drain plug. I think there were 2.5 extra quarts in the trans. I put one back in because lots of guys overfill but I definitely had wayyyy to much fluid in the transmission lol.

Reactions: MYV

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
After filling it up with the car off up to 7 quarts, I turn the car on, let it heat up to temp then remove the drain plug. I then continue to fill the transmission with fluid from the fill port until it starts to drip out of the drain hole.

OP, I would suggest checking that the fill plug can be removed prior to ever removing the drain plug, especially if somebody is doing it outside of a shop.
What drain plug/drain hole are your referencing? It can't be the one on the bottom, way to much fluid will come out. Is there one I did not see?

Sounds like i did the same thing t.j.t did. I have a total of 9.5 quarts in right now. She hasn't dumped anything yet though.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
it will. The "drain/fill" plug is the plug on the bottom. Its what you are calling the drain plug. They fill these transmissions with a machine that pumps fluid thru the transmission. (I am a very novice mechanic and fell for this as well, I didn't understand how they called that the fill hole on the bottom either.)

So now that you are over filled, you can get the transmission to temp (I think its 45C-55C), put the e brake on and I would suggest have someone hold the brakes while they shift thru the gears with the car on then you can pull the drain plug and let the extra fluid out. MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE PLUG BACK IN BEFORE THEY TURN THE CAR OFF or more fluid will dump out.

generally guys put 1 more liter in after they did the fill procedure to over fill and help with better shifts.

here is a better explination

"The bolt on the drain pan is actually the FULL plug. With the trans up to temp, preferably on a lift, cycle through all gears, pump fluid into fill plug until it flows out the FULL plug. Stop pouring or pumping new fluid and let it drain out the FULL plug until it stops. Put the FULL plug back in and you are done. Some (me included) add an extra 1/2 to 1 qt for road racing days. Be sure to burn the shit out of the back of your hand when it hits the header as you are trying to fill With the FULL bolt out there is still a few inches of fluid in the pan.

If the engine is not running and you pull the FULL plug, you will dump lots of fluid, They want it checked with the tranny pump running and the trans full, not sitting in the pan."

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm happy I posted this now. I get the car up on the lift so fast its at operating temperature already. I will remove the drain plug with the car in gear and emergency brake on. Remove the drain plug, let it drain while car is at temp, until it seeps from drain port. Then I can install drain bolt back in and pump 1 quart and call it a day.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
sounds like that should do it. Shift thru each gear, I think you let it sit in the gear for 5-10 seconds 1-3 (probably wont let you go to 4th) then pull the plug. put plug back in, you can turn it off and then put the extra quart in.

I know its complicated but yet so simple. I looked at it this way, you really just flushed more fresh fluid thru the trans, so no harm done. I did this last spring and didn't have any issues or leaks once I got the right amount of fluid in it. shifts hard at the track and ive been a few times.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks T.J.T, How do you give likes on this forum????

Well I was simultaneously installing my new tires on the rear at the same time...so that is my excuse for messing up ;) . Those Z rated tires are a PITA BTW to get on the wheel.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Thanks T.J.T, How do you give likes on this forum????

Well I was simultaneously installing my new tires on the rear at the same time...so that is my excuse for messing up ;) . Those Z rated tires are a PITA BTW to get on the wheel.
Z rated tires? Those arent the right tires for the CTS-V!!!!

Just pullin your leg. haha.

No problem, the only reason I know anything about this transmission fill it thru my own mistakes lol!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I did he one qt. over fill and added a dip stick for easier check and refill next change.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,645 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have that dipstick and its brutal to get it back into the trans, now saying that mine is routed to the left more where the fill tube is for the HX loop, maybe being more behind the engine will help with the dipstick to go into the trans, ill try moving mine this week.
It's a pain in the ass where I have it too.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I performed this procedure today and I must say it wasn't bad. I had the same pump from Harbor Frieght and when I inserted the orange tube it created a seal around the hole. I pumped it 3 times and disconnected the pump and the vacuum drained all fluid from the pan. I then just reversed the procedure. I put in 7 quarts and transferred old fluid into bottles and it was exactly 7 quarts removed. Great tip thanks

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Good write up another project for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
“pump fluid into fill plug until it flows out the FULL plug. Stop pouring or pumping new fluid and let it drain out the FULL plug until it stops. ”
Is there supposed to be a lot of fluid draining out in this step? It poured out a lot right now when I did it with the engine running

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good write up, but I don't understand the extra fluid (overfilling). I've always heard and read that an over serviced trans is in more danger of damage than an under serviced one. Can any one explain this?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Good write up, but I don't understand the extra fluid (overfilling). I've always heard and read that an over serviced trans is in more danger of damage than an under serviced one. Can any one explain this?
Over filling the trans by 1/2-1.5qts won't cause damage, the trans also has a vent incase it is really over filled... The more fluid you can get in there the better, esp when it's all pushed to the back/front(under extreme acceleration and deceleration) so it has much less of a chance to pickup air and cause flaring.
Always start by over filling slowly(1/2qt) and see how the car responds then add another 1/4-1/2qt. Usually 1qt is enough, some do require a bit more then others

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Over filling the trans by 1/2-1.5qts won't cause damage, the trans also has a vent incase it is really over filled... The more fluid you can get in there the better, esp when it's all pushed to the back/front(under extreme acceleration and deceleration) so it has much less of a chance to pickup air and cause flaring.
Always start by over filling slowly(1/2qt) and see how the car responds then add another 1/4-1/2qt. Usually 1qt is enough, some do require a bit more then others

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
What do you mean by see how the car responds? Will it act differently than when it does with the normal amount of fluid or do you mean when driving it hard? Do these transmissions have a tendency to flare when driven hard with the quantity serviced per the service manual?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts