Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
381 - 390 of 390 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #381 ·
Long story on the diff. I couldn't bring myself to tear apart a perfectly fine diff. So I cleaned it up and painted it and it goes back in tomorrow. Instead, I bought a used diff to keep as a backup. It turned out to have a really destroyed carrier bearing and bent pinion flange. So the seller is sending me another. Now I could rebuild the one with the carrier bearing problem and have 2 spares. Not sure what I'll do until the second diff shows up and I pop it open.

Tonight I made my lower control arm bolts. Seems like a lot of people grind the stock bolts down. A button head cap screw would be perfect, but nobody makes one in M14x2.0. As best as I can tell, Carlyle grinds a chamfer on a flat head cap screw that they include on their kits. I more or less turned a M14x2.0x80mm flat head screw into a button head. I turned the tapered head closest to the threads into a shoulder that fits the control arm hole (~15mm) tighter than normal.
Engineering Gas Machine tool Machine Metal
Gas Wood Engineering Screw Metal

Automotive tire Finger Coil Hood Screw
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Crankset Bicycle part

Machinist trick, I hit with a little gun bluing liquid to turn them back black.
Automotive tire Household hardware Gas Cylinder Fastener

I put a wire brush on my angle grinder and removed the remnants of Northern VA winters off my subframe and painted it. I sand blasted a few of the smaller parts.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Rim

Hood Automotive lighting Grille Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Mean Mike you have some serious skills brother.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 ·
Reinstalled the subframe, diff, axles and driveshaft.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design Hood

The carlyle brakes all assembled with the new base model backing plates.
Dead bolt Door Corded phone Wood Lock
Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system Circle

The beginnings of the modification to the control arms. I'm going to check them on the car before I weld in a plate to tie it back together.
Automotive tire Rim Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior
Automotive design Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Metal

Bicycle part Automotive exterior Auto part Bicycle drivetrain part Font
Automotive exterior Rim Auto part Bicycle part Automotive wheel system

Reactions: V_Wagon

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 · (Edited)
Plenty of clearance.

Table Automotive tire Gas Bicycle part Machine tool

Wheel Automotive tire Automotive design Tread Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Automotive design Alloy wheel Bicycle part

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

to tie the cut ends back together.

Automotive tire Tire Wood Font Gas

Wood Handwriting Tints and shades Font Natural material

Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Liquid Product Fluid Drink Violet

Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Automotive design

Window Wood Gas Flooring Fin

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #387 ·
I haven't been taking many pictures. Just trying to get it all put back together. The suspension is back under it. I still have the bleed the brakes, install the new front struts and a few other little things.

Tire Photograph Wheel Automotive tire White

I have to figure out a clean way to pull the parking brake cable away from the wheel.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #389 ·
I got my brakes bled and other small items on my list done. It’s been pouring rain here all day so I couldn’t drive it home on the drag radials. Instead I put my stock wheels back on. the brakes look smaller, but not awful.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

The drive home was fun. Everything was fine until I was halfway home then something happened and the car started missing. I made it home and datalogged a bit to try and troubleshoot the problem. Either power to my even coils and injectors is dropping out, or my flex sensor is bad and possibly shorting power. When it broke up, alcohol percent dropped to zero. The flex sensor is fed from injector/coil power.

I checked continuity from the fuse through the main harness, the injector/coil harness, and the flex sensor harness. I wiggled them all around and didn’t find any issues. I’m going to power the flex sensor from the canister vent solenoid to separate it from the coil harness and see what happens. It’s always something when you’ve torn 75% of your car apart.

Reactions: Lt1z and V_Wagon
381 - 390 of 390 Posts