Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally found a car after looking for about a month. It's an 09 thunder grey sedan with 58k miles, auto, black recaro interior and bone stock. I bought it yesterday in VA right outside of Washington D.C. and drove it home. I was looking at newer cars with lower mileage, but this one came in under my <60k mile requirement at a great price so I jumped on it. It's had two previous owners and the first one always had it serviced at the dealer. The second owner put 6k miles on it and I think wanted to get out from under his loan. The first owner must have parallel parked a lot and used the wheels as curb feelers. He also drove behind a dump truck most of those 50k miles. I have some paint stuff to take care of and I'm undecided about what to do to fix the curb rash on the wheels.

Here is my plan:

Round 1 -
airaid with green filter
Weld big and little's with drag radials
c&r heat exchanger
varimax pump

Round 2-
LT1Z 2.5 cam
2.5/8.6
ID850's
ARH 1 7/8" catted headers

My goal is a dead reliable car that I can take the family on trips in, but still have fun at the track. I sold an 8 second car because it was no longer fun. I just want to go make laps and go fast with minimal stuff for once. I want it to appear as stock as possible and retain the quiet comfortable ride it has now within reason.

Here is what will really happen:
Ignore all plans.
Go for 8's

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Good looking ride! Go for 8's FTW!!

·
Premium Member
14,883 Posts
Step 1: Skip the pulley, balancer and porting.

Step 2: Buy turbos, fuel system and tune

Step 3: Save yourself 3 years of trying to avoid the inevitable.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't guarantee I won't try to push it further than my plan, but I can say with great certainty (no promises though) that I won't put turbos on this car. I've grown to hate them with my past two cars.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Step 1: Skip the pulley, balancer and porting.

Step 2: Buy turbos, fuel system and tune

Step 3: Save yourself 3 years of trying to avoid the inevitable.
THIS!!!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I can't guarantee I won't try to push it further than my plan, but I can say with great certainty (no promises though) that I won't put turbos on this car. I've grown to hate them with my past two cars.
Please explain! You're crushing my dreams!!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Part of it is me getting older and not wanting a rickety modified to the hilt car. I might consider a factory turbo car, but not a car with a turbo added. You can't add a turbo and all the plumbing to a car without compromise. Heat, cracked headers, turbo lag (vs. a roots blower) etc.

If you want one, go for it and don't let me talk you out of it. I'm not chasing goals or other people anymore and have no need for more than the stock blower can provide. I bought a cadilac over a zl1 for a reason.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Part of it is me getting older and not wanting a rickety modified to the hilt car. I might consider a factory turbo car, but not a car with a turbo added. You can't add a turbo and all the plumbing to a car without compromise. Heat, cracked headers, turbo lag (vs. a roots blower) etc.

If you want one, go for it and don't let me talk you out of it. I'm not chasing goals or other people anymore and have no need for more than the stock blower can provide. I bought a cadilac over a zl1 for a reason.
Understood. Basically you don't want to deal with collateral damage from aftermarket turbo setups. Makes sense.

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts
perfect.....

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Parts. These are all part of the 2nd round of parts. This is my way of forcing myself to stick to a plan. Most of this I bought before I even had a car because of labor day sales or deals popping up. Some of it just came in.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ordered Polished S71 wheels, heat exchanger, varimax pump and the DW fuel pumps from Mont Motorsports this week. But the rear wheels will have to be built. I'll pick up tires once the rears get closer to being here. I did read that stock lug nuts work with welds, but require a thin socket. I dug through my old box of lug nuts and dug these old McGuard M14x1.5 nuts and socket out. Remnants of an old tahoe I had. Sometimes that old junk pays off to hang on to.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Parts keep piling up. I'm going to take it to the local 1/8 mile track tomorrow night to see what I can squeeze out of it bone stock.

Thanks Tyler at Mont Motorsports for all these parts. I bought the throttlebody elsewhere and have to do a little grinding.

I usually fab a lot of my own parts, but frankly I'm tired of it. So I sold the air intake parts I saved from my GN and just bought an airaid and green filter. It will keep the stock under hood look much better than a 4" aluminum tube.

I also tallied up the parts to build a 2.5" 304 stainless X-pipe with a couple resonators, v-bands and a couple fake cats and it was $700 in just material. Again, I don't really feel like fabbing, so I bought a set of used ARH 1 7/8" headers and a catted x-pipe. This deviates from my plans above, but I want to spend time at the track not at my welding bench. I normally don't like headers, but I've only had cheap Mac headers on my previous mustangs. Hopefully headers that cost 5 times as much will be nicer quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So I sold my previous GN because it wasn't fun anymore. I made about 8 passes in it in 6 years of owning/ building it. It was fast, but a lot of work. My goal in buying the Caddy was to have fun.

So I hit up the local 1/8th mile track tonight to see what it would do stone stock and get my sea legs back. I haven't made a pass there in 14 years and haven't made a pass period in 3. I made 5 or 6 passes and went a best of [email protected] with a 1.92 60'. DA was between 3000' and 2800'. I also won the quick 8 class. Some with luck, but in the final I went an 8.11 on an 8.10 dial and the other guy went red.

I had fun, which was the only goal.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
That's awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I broke the seal. Rear wheels and tires and airaid installed. I'm going to hook up HP tuners tomorrow and see what easy changes I can make that might benefit me at the track.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bettered my time some tonight. Obviously the tires helped, but what helped the most was turning the fans on with HP tuners scanner between rounds and getting it cooler. Without fans I got lucky to get down to 220. With, I got it down to 195 for the best pass below.

1 - 20 of 306 Posts