Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Sedan
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO, I'm finally done collecting parts and am going go start putting everything together.

I bought the car from Illinois and got home Nov 1, 2019. Drove it less than 500 miles and got the low oil pressure message on the display. Cut open the filter and it was full of flakes. I let it sit for awhile while other stuff was going on in life. I finally pulled the engine out on March 11 this year to see what it actually was. It was a very chewed up camshaft and lifters, and 3 trashed main bearings.

I satrted finally shopping around, and a B15 LSX was about $8800 at home, and a stock longblock was the same price. I called a few shortblock builders and 427 Darts were not MUCH more. I figured I could sell much of what was on the car already and cover a bunch of the cost of a Huron kit, since I kept reading even a max 1.9 wasn't going to work on the shortblock I wanted.

I finally started putting parts ON it today.

Circle D 3200 triple converter. I threw a new seal in there while I had it off.

I had to stop to move stuff around in the shop for other stuff. I cut the plastic wrap off the short block, mounted the engine stand deal on the back, and forklifted it to the back entry room in the house so I can start putting it together.

I waited to start posting, because I wanted everything here. The only thing I don't have is the exhaust hot parts and compressor housings, which are at Swaintech. I called today, and they said they will be done at the middle or end of next week. I'll need to order new fuel lines and fitting from front to back, but that's not really anything that should pose a problem.

I doubt I get done before @JAustin though. 😆😆

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Ready to see it come together!!

·
Premium Member
2014 CTS-V Sedan A6
1,293 Posts
Well, technically mine is together. I just keep upgrading things. Also, I will never be "done" because there will always be something to fix or make better on this car. I want to maintain the body and components to keep it nice, not just make it fast.

What are your plans with the car? What turbos, intake, compression ratio, heads, waste gates, fuel injectors, pumps, ect are you all going with?

·
Premium Member
2009 Sedan
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have Comp oil-less water cooled 68/71s w/1.06 exhaust housings. I got a Fast 102LSXR and 103 NW tbrottle body. Compression ratio with the pistons and thin Cometic head gaskets should be 9.75:1. I have a couple GenV Hypergates and a Raceport BOV. ID1700s/cam/lifters from @Lt1z. Engine mounts and 295/285/285 triple setup from @adam112 . Heads will be the fake Mast heads from Extreme CFM, and a set of Crower 1.8 shaft rockers.

Should be a fun, rearend breaking setup. 😆😆

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
I have Comp oil-less water cooled 68/71s w/1.06 exhaust housings. I got a Fast 102LSXR and 103 NW tbrottle body. Compression ratio with the pistons and thin Cometic head gaskets should be 9.75:1. I have a couple GenV Hypergates and a Raceport BOV. ID1700s/cam/lifters from @Lt1z. Engine mounts and 295/285/285 triple setup from @adam112 . Heads will be the fake Mast heads from Extreme CFM, and a set of Crower 1.8 shaft rockers.

Should be a fun, rearend breaking setup. 😆😆
I know what the heads flow from Extreme CFM, if they use the
2.165" Intake Valve.

Are those what you purchased?

Regarding boost; what will be the Absolute Pressure Ratio you will be using?

Can you release the camshaft valve events, or do I simply have to
guess again..lol

How about just the gross intake valve lift using the 1.8 RR.

Crower makes very nice shaft rockers and their top of the line lifters are great. . . .

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2009 Sedan
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those are the heads, Bruce. Not sure what it's going to end up running. Jon said they used some 68/71s on thier Camaro with an LME 390 and made 1322 wheel horae power, so I hope I can come close to that with the 427 pushing them.

I got Johnson 2126LSR lifters from Matt. I emailed him to see if he cares if I post specs. I've seen people decline to, but thought that was on the "usual" CTS-V cams.

I was debating spray adhesive for the head gaskets, but Cometic has on the package to put in dry.

·
Premium Member
2009 Sedan
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are those the same castings as the Frankenstein M311's? They look very similar. I guess they are all Mast knock-offs, eh?
Yeah, that's what I found out when I couldn't get them sent to me. I ordered the Mast medium bore specific shaft setup, and then was scrambling to figure out an option.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cool. Thanks for confirming. Based on the cost, I think I might wind up with a set of those castings from some shop. Similar money to stock porting once you sell the stock heads, I think, with hopefully more growth potential. Looking forward to seeing how all of these TT builds turn out! It's good reading. :)

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
Those are the heads, Bruce. Not sure what it's going to end up running. Jon said they used some 68/71s on thier Camaro with an LME 390 and made 1322 wheel horae power, so I hope I can come close to that with the 427 pushing them.

I got Johnson 2126LSR lifters from Matt. I emailed him to see if he cares if I post specs. I've seen people decline to, but thought that was on the "usual" CTS-V cams.

I was debating spray adhesive for the head gaskets, but Cometic has on the package to put in dry.
The Johnson lifters are very good lifters for these applications where we don’t run real high value valve lifts and/or open valve spring pressure’s.

When using turbos we don’t entirely remove the issue of the size of the runner, like we must do with the roots blower. So it really reduces down to time area analysis of the camshaft, and then we move on to include some additional math regarding calculated density ratios that would apply as a multiplication factor.

You should be able to achieve what you’re looking for, at or around a three bar absolute pressure ratio in my opinion.

At around three bar absolute pressure ratio, your engine will inhale approximately three times as much air, less whatever the turbo system you have designed will give up regarding heat and/or frictional losses within the intake tract.

However, with the static compression ratio you’re running, I would take the boost up slowly and very cautiously, unless you’ve done some softening to the head in critical areas… JMHO.

So now… Are you ready to start breaking some parts… Lol

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
Cool. Thanks for confirming. Based on the cost, I think I might wind up with a set of those castings from some shop. Similar money to stock porting once you sell the stock heads, I think, with hopefully more growth potential. Looking forward to seeing how all of these TT builds turn out! It's good reading. :)
Consider this…
While it might be the same cylinder head, everyone does no port them the same way.

When ported the right way, versus the wrong way, there can be as much as a 90 rear wheel horsepower difference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Consider this…
While it might be the same cylinder head, everyone does no port them the same way.

When ported the right way, versus the wrong way, there can be as much as a 90 rear wheel horsepower difference.
Wow. That much? Do you think there is a 90rwhp difference btw an Xtreme port job and a FED port job on these castings? These are really the only 2 I'd consider for this particular chunk of aluminum. I'd think both of these shops would be in the same ballpark. Maybe I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
Wow. That much? Do you think there is a 90rwhp difference btw an Xtreme port job and a FED port job on these castings? These are really the only 2 I'd consider for this particular chunk of aluminum. I'd think both of these shops would be in the same ballpark. Maybe I'm wrong.
I will only state the following; I got behind Tony at CFM Extreme for a reason....

But because he’s so busy, you need to get your order in at least 8 to 10 weeks before you need the cylinder heads.

·
Premium Member
2014 CTS-V Sedan A6
1,293 Posts
Man, I don’t think you’re going to have enough fuel. you’ll need over 650lph and that’s keeping boost well under 3 bar.

You’re pushing 865lph at what psi?
What will that 865lph be at wot psi?
I’m assuming you’re looking at 75psi?

·
Premium Member
2009 Sedan
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Adam said the 285s are 525lph, so 3 would be 1575lph. I can't remember what the primary 295 was in lph though.

·
Premium Member
2009 Sedan
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Should be good to assume 240 GALLON per hour @75, which SHOULD be enough psi over base. Converts to 908lph?

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,180 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Already have a TT build on 1500cc inj (iirc) running triple 285s. Made 1340 on a dynojet and 160mph in the quarter, all on e100. He has been working on his new TH400 setup so we don’t have the et we are after yet. The car runs Motec with closed loop fueling full time and the pumps have kept up well with 58psi base. That’s a 378 on slightly smaller turbos I believe.

Somebody has to push the ceiling with me :)
We shall see what Dan can get done here and what base pressure is required. Looking forward to it!

1 - 20 of 106 Posts