Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, its not a CTS-V but it does have almost the same powerplant and drive train. If thats ok ill keep this thread going as I have some questions as well as we get closer to turning the key and first dyno.

Anyone care to predict output at the wheels?

L-76 block and heads from a G8, installed piston squirters.
Stock bore with re-hone (4.005)
Zero decked (torque plate honed as well)
Manley forged 4" stroke rotator kit (H-beam long rods, 2618 alloy pistons, 11:1, ARP2k, AP Stainless/ductile file fit rings)
MLS head gaskets 0.040 quench
ARP studded mains and heads
Stock head castings but Stainless intake, Inconel exhaust, titanium retainers, BTR spring kit, OEM rockers with bronze trunions.
BTR PDS Stage 4 blower cam.
Box stock LSA, ZL-1 lid, with Griptech pulley.
Havent bought a throttle body yet, recomendations?
Caddy ECM with GM E-85 sensor.
RPM T-56 Magnum
Monster Triple disk
3:73 Posi 12 bolt
Stickie Mickeys

Pump gas tune will be mild due to 11:1 but I plan to drive on E as much as possible and will likely be putting 8 Meth nozzels in the lid (I dont like running meth through the LSA)

Id like to hear everyones experience based estimates on wheel HP. Ive got some approximations from my dyno guy... =)

I need to get the car on scales but the factory curb weight on this setup originally was around 3600 pounds. We reduced a big chunk with the aluminum block but added a lot backl with the blower and water weight (TWSS)...

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
Stock heads are gonna kill you, and they really don’t do very good on a 4” bore and stroke. Numbers are tough to guess, dynos vary (greatly). 11:1 isn’t going to work very well on pump gas with any pulley on it. I’d recommend 9.5-10:1 on E85. Not a genius, but I’ll say 650-700. Torque should be pretty good.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
It’s a NorCal tank. Actually considering getting rid of it. I never track the car, and Rando’s testing, if that shits reliable, showed that it isn’t really necessary on the street.

I parted out the V, kept what I wanted for the chevelle swap.

Reactions: RobF300

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
So you didn’t actually ask the questions in this thread. But I do see the questions in your other thread, maybe they should be merged...

I used a track attack heat exchanger with a varimax pump, V parts (Minimal cutting). HX is from Weapon X, can’t remember on pump, google it. Also, I just used the e85 kit from my V, bought from Dsteck.

What else?

·
Registered
655 Posts
I've never seen anyone wrap their HX tank with insulation like Dynomat or another 1/4" thick pad with sticky backing and aluminum facing. I think it will double the time that the ice stays in it and keep the engine bay heat off the tank aiding in lower iat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stock heads are gonna kill you, and they really don’t do very good on a 4” bore and stroke. Numbers are tough to guess, dynos vary (greatly). 11:1 isn’t going to work very well on pump gas with any pulley on it. I’d recommend 9.5-10:1 on E85. Not a genius, but I’ll say 650-700. Torque should be pretty good.

View attachment 146141
I decided to leave the stock heads because this isnt a race car, its going to be 99% driver with occasional race here and there (I just wanted to be able to embarrass these annoying Hellcat and Demon guys with their, "store boughts". I went 11:1 so I didnt have to spin the blower past its efficiency zone where they just create heat. The intention is to run on E-85 100% of the time and "pump gas tune" is only what we are basing the E-85 curve on. Its only a, "worse case scenario" if I cant find E-85. We have a Rebel Race fuel, "gas station" here in Vegas that has super high quality (even leaded) fuel at the PUMP!

Its hard to tell from the pic, are you running manual brakes or Hydro-boost? Thats my next decision to make as I dont think this setup is going to make good enough vacuum for traditional boosters, although my dyno guy thinks ill be fine. Wilwood recommended 13" MINIMUM rotors for manual setups on the A bodies. I like their 14" or 15" rotor kit but I dont know if I want to be restricted to 18 or 19" rims. Ive looked at a CTS-V Brembo conversion too which would make finding pads much easier no?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pics of said Chevelle? Hey Pepn, who made that ice tank?
I have pics on my Android phone, but when I try to attach/upload to this forum, it makes me skim through my entire pic library one by one! Anyone know how to make an Android phone, "search" function work when uploading pics?

·
Super Moderator
20,842 Posts
I decided to leave the stock heads because this isnt a race car, its going to be 99% driver with occasional race here and there (I just wanted to be able to embarrass these annoying Hellcat and Demon guys with their, "store boughts". I went 11:1 so I didnt have to spin the blower past its efficiency zone where they just create heat. The intention is to run on E-85 100% of the time and "pump gas tune" is only what we are basing the E-85 curve on. Its only a, "worse case scenario" if I cant find E-85. We have a Rebel Race fuel, "gas station" here in Vegas that has super high quality (even leaded) fuel at the PUMP!

Its hard to tell from the pic, are you running manual brakes or Hydro-boost? Thats my next decision to make as I dont think this setup is going to make good enough vacuum for traditional boosters, although my dyno guy thinks ill be fine. Wilwood recommended 13" MINIMUM rotors for manual setups on the A bodies. I like their 14" or 15" rotor kit but I dont know if I want to be restricted to 18 or 19" rims. Ive looked at a CTS-V Brembo conversion too which would make finding pads much easier no?

16” Brembos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
Manual brakes and 13” rotors. Work perfectly fine for me. My cam would have made plenty of vacuum for power brakes though.

Your going to make the blower produce more heat by trying to force the air through stock heads, and then feed a 400” motor. 11:1 is steep. What pulley size are you going to use?

Also, I hope your suspension is gonna be dialed in with a good tire! Keeping up with a hellcat with an old muscle car and t56, is going to be a challenge.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I have pics on my Android phone, but when I try to attach/upload to this forum, it makes me skim through my entire pic library one by one! Anyone know how to make an Android phone, "search" function work when uploading pics?
I have multiple files set up for my Android, like on for the car, boat, exes, refurbishing the Dodge dually, etc.... What is good is you can edits to a pic and it doesn't make changes to the original when it is saved.

The files make it easier to find.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

View attachment 146141
You should probably sell me this.

·
Premium Member
12,771 Posts
It’s a NorCal tank. Actually considering getting rid of it. I never track the car, and Rando’s testing, if that shits reliable, showed that it isn’t really necessary on the street.

I parted out the V, kept what I wanted for the chevelle swap.
I think I agree with this, where is this test. let me go look for it

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
You should probably sell me this.
Trust me, you couldn’t afford it! Haha Yes, I know your baller status, but it’s the first car I ever owned.

I’ll build you one! ;)

Reactions: flntv

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts

Since the OP isn’t posting any, mine is the Coupe.

Reactions: flntv

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Manual brakes and 13” rotors. Work perfectly fine for me. My cam would have made plenty of vacuum for power brakes though.

Your going to make the blower produce more heat by trying to force the air through stock heads, and then feed a 400” motor. 11:1 is steep. What pulley size are you going to use?

Also, I hope your suspension is gonna be dialed in with a good tire! Keeping up with a hellcat with an old muscle car and t56, is going to be a challenge.
I dont know about that, my Corvette is only 400 at the wheels and does REALLY well against them now (12 second car). When the 175hp kit goes on they are TOAST... Those cars are way over 4000 pounds so anywhere but a well prepped track they suck ass. In fact I raced one on the freeway from an 80mph roll, pulled well at first by about 2 or 3 cars then that brick lost steam around 120 and wasnt even pulling! =) Now I know my Chevelle isnt 3200 pounds but its only a few hundred more and is nearly twice the horse power. Still going to be several hundred pounds lighter than the hell kittys.

Suspension is stock besides springs and trailing arms right now, but I intend to run the car, "as is" first before any changes are made. Im very scientific about what I do and I like to see results at each stage. I prolly have over 100 dyno pulls just on my street bike alone. Every gear change, tune change, exhaust, intake, etc. etc. The Vettes going back to the dyno over a spark plug change. lol

The plan is if this powerplant isnt enough, I have an L-86 at the machine shop right now thats itching for a big single. I was planning on putting it in my other C4 Vette buuuuutttttt.......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
View attachment 146149 View attachment 146150

Since the OP isn’t posting any, mine is the Coupe.
Still trying to figure out this Android. I have a nearly full 512gb SD card. It makes finding individual pics very time consuming. I THINK I have it now tho. BEAUTIFUL car! LOVE the stance and color, but I couldnt go black after owning 2 black trucks and a Polo Green Vette in Vegas, its TORTURE!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts