Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so if I or someone was to increase to a 102mm throttle body without porting their supercharter or heads, would there be any gains? I was wondering if anyone had an answer or opinion. I have a ton of mods, even a stage two cam, but havent ported anything. So wasn't sure if it made sense going to a 102mm unless I ported!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Okay so if I or someone was to increase to a 102mm throttle body without porting their supercharter or heads, would there be any gains? I was wondering if anyone had an answer or opinion. I have a ton of mods, even a stage two cam, but havent ported anything. So wasn't sure if it made sense going to a 102mm unless I ported!
In the N/A world the answer would be yes since you already have a cam, but head work would yield more with that cam PLUS the TB. You may see some good numbers out of the LS7 TB, 102 may be a bit big, but some more experienced folks should chime in soon.

·
Super Moderator
21,515 Posts
If it isn’t ported it isn’t going to fit.

If you don’t have ported heads and blower, you perhaps don’t have a ton of mods.

Minimal gains just adding a 102 over a 90 without all the other ported tidbits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
It's doable, just pick up a 90 -> 102mm TB adapter.

I had to pick up a NW103 TB to run a DDP intake. Picked up that adapter & it does the job. A ported blower is my end goal so atleast I'm ready to go whenever that times comes.

Definitely not "ideal" without a ported blower but it can be done. Can't help you with gains but my old setup was a mamo ported 90mm/new era 4" intake & I have zero regrets with the new setup.

Reactions: Copacetic112

·
Registered
127 Posts
depends what the smallest point is, if inlet is 90mm and u fit a 102mm then u still have a 90mm volume of flow, may be minimal gains because of less blocked area from the throttle blade/bar but thats it u wont get the true volume worth, even if u remove TB completely its still 90mm of flow unless its ported bigger to suit then u get the real gains

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate all the responses!
So maybe down the road the final mods I'll get will be port the heads, blower and upgrade to a 102mm... With all the mods I have, that would really be all I'd have to do!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I run a katech 103 on an unported blower because I got sick of 90mm tb's dying on me. You won't see any noticeable gains and you'll have to run a spacer so the blade will clear.

·
Premium Member
16,088 Posts
Just porting the supercharger with a 90 would be well worth it.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
62 Posts
We agree, only minimal gains at WOT. You will get a better response at partial throttle. Make sure the duct coming from the airbox doesn't neck down upstream of the TB, then make sure your porting job will clear as much as possible downstream of the TB. For optimum results use the TB size that best matches those measurements ahead and behind the TB.

We have a wide selection of throttle body sizes, including a 103mm for the LTX engines, 102mm for LSX coming soon. We also have all kinds of Adapter Kits (Standard and Custom) to accommodate any TB and transition to any manifold or supercharger.

Please check us out before you buy. Pretty sure you'll find our products and services superior and also an excellent value.

Thanks,

·
Registered
9 Posts
I asked this question elsewhere and was told most people picked up around 50 hp by adding the 102mm and adjusting the tune. The bad part was the response on the bottom end got slightly more sluggish. I bolted my 102 on without issue. There is a 1/4" adapter between the snout and the throttle body. No problems at all.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I asked this question elsewhere and was told most people picked up around 50 hp by adding the 102mm and adjusting the tune. The bad part was the response on the bottom end got slightly more sluggish. I bolted my 102 on without issue. There is a 1/4" adapter between the snout and the throttle body. No problems at all.
I would imagine that is very dependent on the level of modifications when upgrading. No way a stock pullied car is going to gain 50hp going to a 102. Someone with a ported blower, heads, headers, at least moderately aggressive pulley ratio will see more increase.

Basically, until a 87 or 90mm throttle body is the primary choke point for air getting to the engine, I dont see a huge gain potential. It is only going to flow as much as everything after it is capable of moving.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I made 713rwhp with a ported stock throttle body. Someone here with a coupe went 9.6x in the 1/4 with a ported stock throttle body. 2009 Gray V sedan
I believe it! I am at 748whp and 708tq on a Mamo 90mm but only a ported snout for the 90mm. I plan to have the blower gone through and ported for one last hoorah before the car goes up for sale. The current market is too hard to pass up!

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I believe it! I am at 748whp and 708tq on a Mamo 90mm but only a ported snout for the 90mm. I plan to have the blower gone through and ported for one last hoorah before the car goes up for sale. The current market is too hard to pass up!
You're a whore. LOL

I'm around the same HP on 40% E blend using the 90, and should pick up more when I inherit @Hartline TB and CAI.

Reactions: Omgctsv

·
Registered
769 Posts
You're a whore. LOL

I'm around the same HP on 40% E blend using the 90, and should pick up more when I inherit @Hartline TB and CAI.
Hahaha, things just change sometimes. We finally got moved into the new house last fall, kids and stuff, all cuts into time to work on the car. At this point Id rather work on building something that is more of a classic and less reliant on GM producing a door lock solenoid 10 yrs from now so I can continue to get into the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, the OP stated he had many mods, so I assumed we were not talking about a bone stock set-up. He asked if he would see any gains. He probably will with all those mods even with an unported super.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts