Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Famoso Raceway yesterday in Bakersfield to test out the wagon... was shooting for a sub 10.00 1/4 ET, but fell slightly short. A little lighter, a little cooler, a little lower DA, a little crisper shifting, cooler IAT's bla bla bla. Maybe next time I'll propel her into the 9's :cool:

Drove 130 miles to the track, had a few solid runs, got my launch down, and drove 130 miles back home without needing to be towed home (lots of cars broke at the line- the track was prepped quite well).

New personal best 1/4 mile ET 10.07 seconds, 1/8 mile ET 6.497 seconds, trap speed 138.87mph, 60' 1.438 seconds.

60' times are now consistently between 1.43 and 1.47 seconds, and I even lifted the front wheels off the ground twice. Pretty cool feeling (never happened before).

Kinda bummed it didn't hit 9.99, but there's always next time. A trunk ice tank and larger injectors may be in the plans, along with more seat time with logging to fine tune the trans shift points and trans tune between shifts.

Check out some pics below.

Thanks,

Allen

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,088 Posts
That’s awesome. Congrats.

I would have loved to have gone but was traveling the past week so no-go with the wife.

What was the DA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Went to Famoso Raceway yesterday in Bakersfield to test out the wagon... was shooting for a sub 10.00 1/4 ET, but fell slightly short. A little lighter, a little cooler, a little lower DA, a little crisper shifting, cooler IAT's bla bla bla. Maybe next time I'll propel her into the 9's :cool:

Drove 130 miles to the track, had a few solid runs, got my launch down, and drove 130 miles back home without needing to be towed home (lots of cars broke at the line- the track was prepped quite well).

New personal best 1/4 mile ET 10.07 seconds, 1/8 mile ET 6.497 seconds, trap speed 138.87mph, 60' 1.438 seconds.

60' times are now consistently between 1.43 and 1.47 seconds, and I even lifted the front wheels off the ground twice. Pretty cool feeling (never happened before).

Kinda bummed it didn't hit 9.99, but there's always next time. A trunk ice tank and larger injectors may be in the plans, along with more seat time with logging to fine tune the trans shift points and trans tune between shifts.

Check out some pics below.

Thanks,

Allen
Badass.. pulling the fronts should be worth a couple drinks and a celebration. !! Congrats.

Reactions: Rubber Duck

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That’s awesome. Congrats.

I would have loved to have gone but was traveling the past week so no-go with the wife.

What was the DA?

300ft at 10am
1000ft at 1pm
1400ft at 4pm

Some negative DA might have helped shave a few thousandths off :)

·
Super Moderator
21,088 Posts
No doubt. Sucks we rarely get negative DA even in new middle of ‘winter’.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Winter is coming.
Seriously, though, good numbers from your Vagon. I'll have to check out your build.
What other cars impressed you?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
those were very similar to my numbers at the same track i had a few seasons back . first pass i did was a [email protected] , never could find traction after that.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Congrats, Al!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Awesome job lifting the nose off the ground. What s your wheel and tire combo?

I have a spare set of coupe rears which I mated with a pair of MT ET Streets (305/35/19) and I can't hook to save my life. I've played with tire pressure, I smoked them till everyone around me starts chocking. Despite everything I've tried I just can't get them to hook reliably. I have on several occasions broken them loose at take off to the point that the car started to get sideways and I had to let off before I went into the other lane.

I'm looking for some smaller diameter wheels for more sidewall to pair up with some good DR's or possibly slicks. I'd prefer the DR's so I can drive to and from the track plus I can only fit one wheel in my coupe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That’s awesome man and I’m taking mine to Ls Fest to race out in Vegas in May. I just got a wagon yesterday and I stay in the valley near Glendale. I’m really interested in your build. If you don’t mind, what’s done to it?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Badass.. pulling the fronts should be worth a couple drinks and a celebration. !! Congrats.
Indeed had a celebration for a couple nights. Imagine if I hit 9's? Geez, what a party that coulda been!

Winter is coming.
Seriously, though, good numbers from your Vagon. I'll have to check out your build.
What other cars impressed you?
Thanks! Joel from Bakersfield has a CTSV Sedan (SLWCDDY)- He was doing 9.6's and 9.7's and even cut a 1.3 60' time... very very impressive and consistent. Super cool dude. The typical Hellcats and Demons in the 9's (they'd shatter the rear ends though- also very typical), along with some fast TT Coyotes that were into the 8's. Cars are getting faster and faster, but the real beauty is when you drive there and drive home :cool:

those were very similar to my numbers at the same track i had a few seasons back . first pass I did was a [email protected] , never could find traction after that.
Agreed. I've experienced this from Famoso as well- the DA and overall track prep is best during the 1st hour (closest to 10:00am as possible).

Congrats, Al!
Thanks brotha! Hoping to make it out during their Test n Tune event between Feb 22nd and 24th (Fri Sat Sun). Wanna make it out?

What is your launch technique?
I used to stomp it off of idle, but that netted me a 60' of 1.510 at best. I now gas / brake it and get the engine up to about 2100RPM and try to stomp on it out of the hole. Best 60' was a 1.43, average a 1.47 now. Kind of limited with the stock torque converter, but I'm sure I could average a 1.43 60' with some more seat time.

Awesome job lifting the nose off the ground. What s your wheel and tire combo?

I have a spare set of coupe rears which I mated with a pair of MT ET Streets (305/35/19) and I can't hook to save my life. I've played with tire pressure, I smoked them till everyone around me starts chocking. Despite everything I've tried I just can't get them to hook reliably. I have on several occasions broken them loose at take off to the point that the car started to get sideways and I had to let off before I went into the other lane.

I'm looking for some smaller diameter wheels for more sidewall to pair up with some good DR's or possibly slicks. I'd prefer the DR's so I can drive to and from the track plus I can only fit one wheel in my coupe.
M&H Racemaster Skinnies 4.5/28-18 (front) @ 40psi
MT ET Street R 305-45-17 (rear) @ 18psi

I have original springs installed now (not lowered), and also disconnected the front sway bar end links (not sure if it helped, since I also changed my gas/brake method at the same time).

19's don't have much sidewall, and these cars make a lot of instant, low end torque. How about trying a set of 17's? They work well for me, and seem to work well with many guys on the forum. The larger sidewall helps a bunch.

That’s awesome man and I’m taking mine to Ls Fest to race out in Vegas in May. I just got a wagon yesterday and I stay in the valley near Glendale. I’m really interested in your build. If you don’t mind, what’s done to it?
Thanks. I live in Tarzana and work in Glendale. Stock blower (ported), flex fuel, ported heads, etc. Shoot me a PM, we could chat about it some more.

Any tips or tricks that may improve my ET / trap speeds? How about taking off my exhaust (post-headers) and possibly save 60lb or so? Smaller , lighter battery? I'm like a panhandler desperate for a sub 10.00 second ET :)

·
Super Moderator
21,088 Posts
Tarzana? I’m there a lot, lol.

Joel and I met a couple of times to get his heads ported. He’s thinking of porting his blower runners to squeeze some more. His car runs really strong.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Tarzana? I’m there a lot, lol.

Joel and I met a couple of times to get his heads ported. He’s thinking of porting his blower runners to squeeze some more. His car runs really strong.

mmmm that places makes me think of "the Benley" at the carving board. (filet mignon sandwich) though i dont miss working out there as much.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Any tips or tricks that may improve my ET / trap speeds? How about taking off my exhaust (post-headers) and possibly save 60lb or so? Smaller , lighter battery? I'm like a panhandler desperate for a sub 10.00 second ET :)
150 shot?

If you're gonna drop weight to get your hero pass 9.99, why not pull the passenger seat and/or rear seat before you drop the exhaust or spend a shitton on a lithium battery?

Or, you could buy the 2-piece rear rotors to remove a ton of unsprung, rotating weight which might get you there (I have a thread with details and part numbers).

·
Premium Member
7,119 Posts
I'd pull the seats out before I dropped the exhaust and sound like a dump truck but thats just me.

I'd get a little more aggressive on the trans tune for the track (hit up Rick Crawford :D). You can literally gain a tenth or more with the trans tune and another tenth by dropping 100+# from taking out the interior. Good DA, some adjustments in the tune, ice it down heavily, wire a switch so it doesn't circulate your ice water until after the burnout, taking out the seats and you are there and may even hit a .8X if the weather is right.

FYI I used to run the same exact ET and MPH but my DA was always well over 2k ft due to the tracks only running in the summer close enough to me. Sold my car and it went to MIR and trapped 3mph higher but the ET was worse due to a new driver at the time. The ET's have been kept under wraps as the guy races a lot and doesn't like to broadcast.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts