Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Trying to give back a little to this great forum. I was underwhelmed with the stock Bose and have typically had decent results with mods like this in other cars with a similar factory set up.

I changed out the 2 outside dash speakers for 3.5 Hertz’ that costs about $80 a pair. While it improved there was still something to be desired on the high end. I then added a set of Hertz tweeters for another $80 which came with 5 ½’s for the door but they did not sound better than the woofers in there but the tweeters completed the sound I was looking for the highs.

If I could do it all over again I would see what only adding tweeters did and if it was enough for the highs. Given you can get a decent set of tweeters with built in crossovers for $50 it woud be worth trying

I have 2 JL Audio 12w3’s going in this week when the box and amp arrive which should finish out the low end nicely.

I usually try to avoid ripping everything out because it obviously adds a lot of cost and try to find the cheaper upgrades that improve on what is there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can you provide more details on the tweeters you installed. Any Pics ?

Are the tweeters mounted into an existing location or did you mount them into the A pillar ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure. See pics below.
I went with Kicker silk dome tweeters. They sounds decent but still limited by the Bose amp.

I just ordered a set of Audiofrog G60s Components so I am going to replace the door woofers and change out the tweeters. I am also going to put the dash speakers back to stock and see what it sounds like.
My thinking is that I could have just done the component set from the beginning so I want to see if that would actually sound decent.

If it’s still not where I want it to be (and I don’t expect it will be) I am going to add an Audiocontrol d-4.800 and run the components active and not run the dash speakers at all. The AudioControl had a built in DSP and amp so I can sum the speakers. It should make the subs sound better as well. At least this route I’ll have a high end set of components to run off of the dsp. The kickers were reasonably priced and available so I figured I would give it a shot.
I am also going to Dynamat the door panels when installing the component woofers. As everyone says the road noise on this car is pretty bad so I’m interested to see how much the sound deadening does with that. I also bought some closed cell foam.

Also with the subs the rear deck cover rattles really bad. I am going. To take that back off and Dynamat and foam it as well and try to foam and thing that may be hitting it.
The original tweeters I had were from a Hertz DSK 130.3 component set. The ones I have now are the Kicker KST2004.

I compared the 2 when I installed the Kickers and they were about the same. I bought the Hertz off of EBay so they could have been fake and they are the lower end Hertz.

The Audiofrogs are from Crutchfield and are made for replacements in factory systems so it will be interesting to see what the comparison looks (sounds) like.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Can you share how to remove the speakers, the dash speakers, the door speakers and the subwoofer? Looking for an easy set of directions. Also, can a separate amp be easily added to the stock radio, or does it require tapping into the stock amp using a line-in converter?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi fisheron. I’ll see if I can find the instructions that I used. It’s all pretty straight forward with a few things to call out.

As far as the amp, I added an amp for the sub and tapped into the wires going to the sub woofer after the factory amp and disconnected the factory sub. From researching for an amp for the interior speakers you have to add an amp after the factory amp as the factory amp controls the settings and the volume. I was looking at adding something like the AudioControl D-4.800 which has a built in DSP.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the 3.5 Hertz I did not have to cut the bracket on the drivers side. I tried 3 or 4 other speakers and they did not fit so it’s definitely a tight fit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I changed out all of the speakers and went back to factory and added the Audiofrog G60S components. I wanted to see if just the tweeters made the main difference and sure enough they did. The Audiofrog tweeters are noticeably better than the Kickers. I am very impressed with the quality. I have only installed 1 door speaker which is the 6.5 that replaced the 8 inch woofer in the door. There is not a tremendous amount of improvement there but I think that’s where a dsp and amp will really shine. Running the Audiofrog components active would probably make a big difference.

So basically upgrading the front speakers to the Hertz 3.5 is an improvement but just adding a tweeter to the factory speakers made the biggest improvement. I’d say with the components and the sub it’s about 80% of where I want it to be and probably enough for most people.

·
Registered
65 Posts
has anyone considered the volvo dynaudio tweeters to pair with the 8'' 182 woofers. been searching the dynaudio website and think that the tweeters can play to down to 2000hz and the 182's can play up to 2000.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts