Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

JRi Coilover Pics and Info

7K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  adam112 
#1 ·
Finally getting around to posting some images of the JRi coilovers on my V. Formerly offered through D3, JRi has since partnered with Ultimate Performance Speed Shop on the re-release of this product for our platform (coming soon).

I had the coilovers all out last weekend to put new seals in two of them and have them all charged with Nitrogen...I evidently hit something hard enough for two of them to lose their charge pressure and begin to leak. Road race customer service rep Marty Flannery at JRi took great care of me and sent me the seals and oil overnight for free. I had to reseal a front and rear unit so I have pics of each disassembled.

Performance wise, these are stiff, if you have no patience for an unforgiving suspension, they are not for you. That said they are incredibly well made (in USA), all components are serviceable, they are two way adjustable, backed by a great company based on all of my interactions, and they are a blast to push on the road.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
About fucking time! Lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#3 ·
These would be on my list if I were ever able to turn this car into a complete track monster, but I still want to see what mine can do with the Ground Control conversion. Does the front shock shaft move freely through the spring hat or is the hat sitting on a lip?

#4 ·
There is a snap ring on the shaft that the cap is below, there is a washer with a machined lip to sit over the snap ring from the top that also contacts the cap. This all goes up through the mount on the car and nut secures the shaft. Hope that makes sense lol.

#5 ·
Yeah, makes sense and it's what I was thinking...what sits on top of the spring hat? Have any pics of them installed?

#9 ·
Sorry I don't...facepalm. I'll add some here eventually! They install just like stock; up front with the reduced spring diameter there is a nice amount of clearance to the upper control arm bolts (I have CS bushings with grease zerks and all) they bolt up to lower control arm, jack up through the upper mount and install the upper nut. The rears mount in stock shock location and the rear springs are obviously no longer needed, Rear install is super easy too. With my ride height settings I have no issues taking them in and out with suspension in full droop and zero spring tension in the coilovers.

At least yo have plenty of time to leave it apart with a FOOT of SNOW up there.. lol
Lol yes it is a little nuts for us (you know as a previous Greensboro-ian)! She was back on the road Saturday but parked for the next few days for sure!

What’s the price o these
I have heard they will be offered through Ultimate Performance for ~$4300

What’s the spring rate? They could valve them for a softer street ride too I’m sure.
The front springs have '1200' (could have been a '7', not a '2' but Im going with '2') stamped on the top most coil, rears have no marking. I'm sure I could get that information though. For High speed rebound there are 12 settings, for low speed there are 25...I have tried several settings so far. But in general, I would say these have the appropriate valve range for what they are designed for->the track (not sure if JRi would custom valve or not). I DD the car and have grown to know the ride and the roads I drive daily, so I don't mind the experience. I just wanted a healthy disclaimer that they change the ride dramatically from stock (I have only ridden in a stock V, never driven). These coupled with swaybars really wake the heavy girl up in the turns. Coming from an e46 M3 on KWs, the JRi suspension has not disappointed! The V can cut it up just as crisp as the M, shes just way heavier and way more powerful.

#8 ·
At least yo have plenty of time to leave it apart with a FOOT of SNOW up there.. lol

#11 ·
Interested in what the recommended spring rate is with your tire set up. If it is in fact 1200 pounds, wow that is a ton of spring. Parts look really well built. I would be concerned that they already started leaking so soon. Good news is is appears that the customer service is spot on.

#12 · (Edited)
Alright, Finally getting back to this, albeit shorter than my original response...

In regards to them leaking after being gone through 10k miles ago, yes I was pissed. That’s why I was thrilled JRi took good care of me and sent me free seals and oil. I have to acknowledge that in those miles traveled, I have:
-Hit at least one major pavement ripple on a freeway trip at 70 mph that had to have been 1.5-2” tall on the left front (traffic was too tight to see it coming and I was on unfamiliar road)
-Lost torque on lower control arm, left side, rear bolt. The arm was doing what it wanted to for approx.. 50 miles before I knew what was going on! That’s a lot of dynamic loading on the coilover its not used to seeing.

Ok, so 1200 lbs is a shit ton of spring, I am very glad to know that!! Why would I take for granted that it was properly sprung when D3 likely picked them??

How do I go about getting a proper spring rate?? Looks like I can get a set of front springs for like $150 of the same brand online. If you know how to pick rates, or can point me towards a resource, thank you!! I understand the system dynamics, but not necessarily how to choose for my application. Sounds like this could be the reason my front end is so damn unforgiving.

Cheers for knowledge sharing! I appreciate it very much.

Edit**Glancing at Hyperco's spring rate offerings, I don't think mine are 1200 lb/ins...that seems to be out of the range, I have reached out to JRi for spring rate info and will report back**

#13 ·
Any chance we could get some installed pictures? :)

#14 ·

You’ll have to wait on rear installed :)

#15 ·
Naw, the rear is easy, thanks. I was just curious how the front is compared to what I rigged up.

#16 ·
Pics of what you rigged up?

#17 ·
Reactions: adam112
#18 ·
Touche...haha

I have read through that but forgot it was yours, I will revisit it. Thanks!

#19 ·
My main issue is not enough shock travel before hitting the bump stops. It looks like the JRIs have either a long shock rod or a shorter shock body. If I keep mine at its current height, it's probably "ok", but making it work like OEM is going to take some effort.

Reactions: V_Wagon
#21 ·
I didn't keep digging on that. JRi indicated that D3 handled the springs. Perhaps they could elaborate. The new company (listed higher up I believe) will be spec'ing their own spring rates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.