Is anyone waiting on a backordered diff right now?
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By Ernesto797
  • 1 Post By RobF300
  • 1 Post By Cadattac
  • 1 Post By Guyver08
  • 3 Post By Cadattac
  • 1 Post By bmylez
  • 1 Post By Ryandagreat1
  • 1 Post By random84
  • 2 Post By 1slogoat
  • 1 Post By bucky502
  • 1 Post By 1slogoat
  • 1 Post By V Wagon

Thread: Is anyone waiting on a backordered diff right now?

Is anyone waiting on a backordered diff right now?

I just got the call from my dealer that the rear end will be covered under warranty but it is on national backorder with no exact ETA available. Is anyone else currently in the same boat waiting for a replacement? Is there a way to get it expedited by contacting Cadillac?
    2014 V Sedan, Automatic
    2004 Pontiac GTO, 460/423
    1970 Chevrolet C10 Protouring build 6.0 liter S480 Turbo, No limit frame

I have a 2012 Coupe out of warranty and ordered mine and received it in 7 weeks. The dealer told me they were no longer available so I just kept driving my car and figured I’d deal with it when it breaks. After reading all I could in this forum I went back to the dealer and told Dennis “please try harder” and sure enough he called me a few days after we ordered and said “you’re right, I think we’ll get one”. Then about 4 weeks in he called and read this to me “ There is raw stock in a processing center for part #20931063. There is no anticipated ship date to a shipping facility. Will provide more info when available” and that meant I was getting it sooner than later. 3 weeks later it arrived. Yes I have pictures but I don’t think I’m aloud to post pictures yet. BTW no core charge either so I got to keep my old one.
    So this story gets even more interesting. You know how people have tried different oils and different viscosity’s? Well I decided I’ll try redline since that’s all I use on my 93 RX-7. I bought 75w-140 and sure enough no difference but because you could grab my axles and move them pretty easily I had a horrible oil leak. Well then I decided when it was time to top off my oil I’d try Redline’s “Friction Modifier” it comes in a 4 oz bottle, and 3 or 4 days later I realized the humming/noise was 95% gone. I even had my Service Manager/Close friend hop in the car that morning and he was amazed that an additive could make such a difference.
    I’ve had the diff in for about a week and everything is sounding great and no leaks. I did dump the oil that was in it when I installed it and used the Redline 75w-140 with 1 bottle of friction modifier/break in additive. The dealer I bought from is MEDINA A͏U͏TO MALL in Medina, OH and Dennis in Cadillac parts was my savior. Tell him Ernie sent ya. Oh and once I can post pics I will and I’ll update you on what I find inside the old diff. Good luck everyone!!!
    MYV likes this.

My 13 vagon already had the diff replaced under warranty but it just recently started the whining. So, now out of warranty, I searched high and low for a replacement. I found one at a Chevy dealer in NorCal and it's currently at the shop that's going to do the replacement. I located and had one delivered in less than 4 days. If you search hard enough, you can find one. As of a week ago, 5 dealers in Texas (Sewell was one of them) had them. I'm just waiting on my diff cooler from weapon x (thx JB) to arrive before I install the new one. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 CTS-V Wagon, BDT, 6MT, ebony recaros, Ultraview
    Kooks headers with offroad x-pipe, 2.55" upper pulley, FIC1000's, DSteck Flex Fuel, Airaid intake, tune (600whp; 615tq), CS short throw shifter

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

I think Sewell might always be the best bet as far as finding one in stock at a dealer goes. They are frequently on back order though. Frequently replaced thing that they didn't make serviceable and isn't used in any other car. Kind of a pain in the ass situation for us.

they are produced in batches and not enough of them so you always seem to get a little lucky or have to wait a long ass time

it seems to be worse now that the cars are out of production
    MYV likes this.

2014 Phantom Grey sedan lots of mods

Quote Originally Posted by Guyver08 View Post
    My 13 vagon already had the diff replaced under warranty but it just recently started the whining. So, now out of warranty, I searched high and low for a replacement. I found one at a Chevy dealer in NorCal and it's currently at the shop that's going to do the replacement. I located and had one delivered in less than 4 days. If you search hard enough, you can find one. As of a week ago, 5 dealers in Texas (Sewell was one of them) had them. I'm just waiting on my diff cooler from weapon x (thx JB) to arrive before I install the new one. Good luck

I'm in Chatsworth--decided to go to Symes in Cadillac, and they were nice about everything, just couldn't tell me when exactly it'll arrive. I also just ordered the weapon x diff cooler, in preparation after the new one is installed. Are you planning to mount the pump up front or somewhere near the diff?
    2014 V Sedan, Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by 1slogoat View Post
    I'm in Chatsworth--decided to go to Symes in Cadillac, and they were nice about everything, just couldn't tell me when exactly it'll arrive. I also just ordered the weapon x diff cooler, in preparation after the new one is installed. Are you planning to mount the pump up front or somewhere near the diff?
    I live in Northridge. I used to go the Symes as well when I had warranty. You should deal with Diana and Charles. They good peeps. I think I'm going to mount the diff pump above the rear axle somewhere. My car is so low, I can't have it hanging and spare tire well is filled with air suspension stuff. Curious, did you go to supercar Sunday yesterday?

Kooks headers with offroad x-pipe, 2.55" upper pulley, FIC1000's, DSteck Flex Fuel, Airaid intake, tune (600whp; 615tq), CS short throw shifter

I live in Northridge. I used to go the Symes as well when I had warranty. You should deal with Diana and Charles. They good peeps. I think I'm going to mount the diff pump above the rear axle somewhere. My car is so low, I can't have it hanging and spare tire well is filled with air suspension stuff. Curious, did you go to supercar Sunday yesterday?

No I did not but I plan to start going soon. My car is red with satin graphite wheels.
    2014 V Sedan, Automatic

Just a reminder to everyone who doesn't want to wait for a diff or is willing to wait for a diff but doesn't want the hassle of it failing again: Creative Steel makes a Ford 8.8 swap. Yes, it costs a lot more than OEM, but then it is infinitely rebuildable (cheaply), and won't whine. They are also going to make a stock drive shaft adapter at some point, which will bring the price down more.

https://creative-steel.com/shop/09-1...erential-swap/
    2009 WDT 6MT CTS-V - BC Forged RZ10 20x9.5 +45, SW headers + stock mufflers, Airaid, Moroso OCC, DMS ZL1 lid, C&R HX, Varimax pump with full 3/4" lines, Ground Control coil overs - 14kgf/mm front, 16kgf/mm rear, CS shifter, CS rear toe arms, CS front UCA/LCA bushings, CS motor mounts, Whiteline rear subframe bushings, Voodoochikin/Kerbid driveshaft carrier

Perfect clearances on lowered sedan...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    MYV likes this.
    2011 Sedan A6 - Raven Black - Recaros- Bought it stock and quickly got addicted. and it keeps going...
    STAGE 1 - Griptec 2.38", 850 injectors, Airaid intake, Moroso catch can, Track attack HX, Varimax pump,
    - Manifolds, B&B down pipes, no cats, 22" resonators, stock mufflers (QTP cut-outs connected to Homelink)...open most the time...just too fun!
    - RPM Motorsports tune (Raleigh/Garner) - 575 whp/ 598 Tq (Dry 50 degree day)
    STAGE 2 - Mamo LS7 TB, DIY Ported snout/blower, ZL1 lid, Flex fuel sys with Aux pump & filter, ID1050's, Green filter - 650 whp/630 Tq (60 degree day)
    Forgestar 20" CF10's 9" front /11" rear with 305 Pilot Sport AS4's (flush) - Eibach coupe sport springs
    * WeaponX/ JB's -Sway bars and Diff Cooler * 18x9.5" TSW Nurburgrings and Nitto NT-01 for track days and C5 Vette 18" Replicas w/305/35/18 MT Street SS Drag Radials
    Best time of 10.75 @126 1.53 60ft and 6.91 in the 1/8th

Yeah but I'm a bit lower

MYV likes this.

You'll be fine man. It sits above the exhaust and suspension. You'd have to destroy the whole car before it hit the pump or cooler!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Guyver08, MYV and Blades1_99 like this.
    2011 Sedan A6 - Raven Black - Recaros- Bought it stock and quickly got addicted. and it keeps going...
    STAGE 1 - Griptec 2.38", 850 injectors, Airaid intake, Moroso catch can, Track attack HX, Varimax pump,
    - Manifolds, B&B down pipes, no cats, 22" resonators, stock mufflers (QTP cut-outs connected to Homelink)...open most the time...just too fun!
    - RPM Motorsports tune (Raleigh/Garner) - 575 whp/ 598 Tq (Dry 50 degree day)
    STAGE 2 - Mamo LS7 TB, DIY Ported snout/blower, ZL1 lid, Flex fuel sys with Aux pump & filter, ID1050's, Green filter - 650 whp/630 Tq (60 degree day)
    Forgestar 20" CF10's 9" front /11" rear with 305 Pilot Sport AS4's (flush) - Eibach coupe sport springs
    * WeaponX/ JB's -Sway bars and Diff Cooler * 18x9.5" TSW Nurburgrings and Nitto NT-01 for track days and C5 Vette 18" Replicas w/305/35/18 MT Street SS Drag Radials
    Best time of 10.75 @126 1.53 60ft and 6.91 in the 1/8th

Quote Originally Posted by 1slogoat View Post
    No I did not but I plan to start going soon. My car is red with satin graphite wheels.
    Did you get your diff yet, or is it still on backorder?

Quote Originally Posted by bmylez View Post
    Just a reminder to everyone who doesn't want to wait for a diff or is willing to wait for a diff but doesn't want the hassle of it failing again: Creative Steel makes a Ford 8.8 swap. Yes, it costs a lot more than OEM, but then it is infinitely rebuildable (cheaply), and won't whine. They are also going to make a stock drive shaft adapter at some point, which will bring the price down more.

https://creative-steel.com/shop/09-1...erential-swap/
    Are they going to get the adapter done before the rear poly bushings?

I was also looking at the GForce unit that uses a ford 9". I'm still researching, but the GForce looks to be better well build vs the CS 8.8 section.

Thoughts on the differences between the two, beyond cost alone?

Quote Originally Posted by random84 View Post
    Are they going to get the adapter done before the rear poly bushings?

I was also looking at the GForce unit that uses a ford 9". I'm still researching, but the GForce looks to be better well build vs the CS 8.8 section.

Thoughts on the differences between the two, beyond cost alone?
    All I will say is, the V1 community didn't like the GForce diff very much because it doesn't fit the subframe without mods and just seemed like a hassle overall, whereas the 8.8 is tried and true with RJ's V1 running low 9s, and it hasn't broken. Axles maybe, but I think the diff has been fine. Then again, there is no axle on the market that hasn't broken from 1000whp that I know of. I'm also just a big Creative Steel fan in general due to their customer service and grassroots style.
    bi-polar_with_cars likes this.
    2009 WDT 6MT CTS-V - BC Forged RZ10 20x9.5 +45, SW headers + stock mufflers, Airaid, Moroso OCC, DMS ZL1 lid, C&R HX, Varimax pump with full 3/4" lines, Ground Control coil overs - 14kgf/mm front, 16kgf/mm rear, CS shifter, CS rear toe arms, CS front UCA/LCA bushings, CS motor mounts, Whiteline rear subframe bushings, Voodoochikin/Kerbid driveshaft carrier

I ordered mine back in April. They told me that at my dealer (crest in frisco, TX) there were 5 customers waiting for them I was number 2 on the list. I get a call saying mine has made it to the distribution center finally in late July. Only to follow up a week later to find out my order had been cancelled. I’m 100% confident they bumped me so they could give the part to someone that was under warranty and driving around in one of their loaners. I went to the dealership and spoke to the GM. 10 days later I had my new differential and they sold it to me at cost price of $1620. I would recommend anyone waiting on one of these escalate it to the GM of the dealership if you want to get your part.
    random84 likes this.

4+ months isnt too bad I guess.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PPV
    Just bought a 2013 Coupe and brought it back to the dealer because the passenger side differential half shaft seal was leaking. Still within the 60 day 3,000 mile warranty. Not sure what they are going to do (replace seal or entire diff), so time will tell if I’m going to be waiting for a diff too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by PPV View Post
    Just bought a 2013 Coupe and brought it back to the dealer because the passenger side differential half shaft seal was leaking. Still within the 60 day 3,000 mile warranty. Not sure what they are going to do (replace seal or entire diff), so time will tell if I’m going to be waiting for a diff too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mine was doing the same thing.

More likely the seal is not bad - the carrier bushings are and there will be a ton of vertical slop in the axle shafts before they grenade.

If they say jts just a seal, ask to see the work before they put it together. If the axle flange in the diff is obviously loose when moving it up and down, that would not be an appropriate fix.

I discovered the same on mine. Although FWIW I drove the car for months and nothing bad has happened (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by random84 View Post
    Did you get your diff yet, or is it still on backorder?
    Just got the call today that it showed up last week. Going on Thursday to drop the car off. I have a weapon x diff cooler that I'll be installing once I get the car back.
    random84 and MYV like this.
    2014 V Sedan, Automatic

My rear was ordered about 2 weeks ago, just called today part is in.
    random84 likes this.

They must have made another batch!

I had mine installed about 2 weeks ago--it's amazing how quiet the car is now without the howling. Put about 400 miles on it so far, going to change the fluid again soon and likely install the diff cooler I bought from WeaponX sometime in the next month or two. Diana at Symes took good care of the car and the installation looks to have been done cleanly.
    V Wagon likes this.
    2014 V Sedan, Automatic

That is basically how I treated my latest diff. Took it easy and gave it a break in for 500 miles and then put the cooler on with fresh fluid. So far so good. A few track days since but not a ton of miles. Seems like most of the miles I put on the car are driving to and from track days and auto x's.

How long is the powertrain warranty for and what negates it?
    "Pearl" is a 2011, V Coupe, A6, Recaros, Skyview.

Mods: Airaid - Red filter, Side Swipe, Mamo LS7 Ported TB, ZL1 lid, Fasterproms underhood tank, BMR Catch Can, ....

Quote Originally Posted by Blades1_99 View Post
    How long is the powertrain warranty for and what negates it?
    Diff is powertrain and I believe the powertrain warranty was 5yrs/100k but I can't say that with certainty and I believe it changed at some point during the V2 production to increase time but decrease miles. The powertrain warranty change may have been after V2 production stopped though. I know Cadillac changed their warranty, I'm just not positive when.

Looking at your signature you appear to have a 2011 and that is for sure out of normal warranty unless you bought it CPO or had a service contract of some sort. My car is also a 2011 and I snuck the diff in a few months before the end of my warranty. The warranty ran out in the middle of winter and I had it done before I stopped driving the car in the fall that year. That was a few years ago now.

If you ever have a doubt on what warranty you have left though you can call a dealer with your VIN and they can tell you when your warranties expire(d) including any CPO or extended warranties issued through GM. A 2011 would for sure be under blower warranty on the time side of it but has possibly miled out of it.

As far as what voids the warranty on the diff, if you have a friendly dealer you might get a way with some things but technically GM could say any mod that might increase power would void the warranty without much ability to argue against that. They might even get you if you had aftermarket wheels on it unless you prove them to be the same offset and weight.
    Blades1_99 likes this.

Sponsored Links