Started Correcting Paint
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Started Correcting Paint

Started Correcting Paint

I decided to take a break from the bathroom remodel to start the paint correction on my 12' Black Raven coupe (I should have just stayed in the bathroom TBH). I worked with what I had, no special DA was used, just an older 5" orbital polisher. I bought some extra pads and some Meguiars Compound along with their Polish.

After giving her a quick two bucket wash I clayed the side that I was going to start with (I knew this would be a multiple day ordeal). This car has one of the worst finishes I have ever seen on a black car; I'm starting to think it was washed with ice cubes in the past. These are the swirl marks that are found all over the car:
    Started Correcting Paint-3.jpg
    Started Correcting Paint-4.jpg

In 3 hours I was able to get a decent quality finish from the hood and passenger front quarter panel. Each still has minor swirling that I plan to work out some more.
    Started Correcting Paint-1.jpg
    Started Correcting Paint-2.jpg

At the end of this project I plan to give her one last polish, clean, then apply a ceramic coating. I am still debating as to which one to use, it is a tossup between CQuartz and opticoat. Suggestions are welcome!
    Blades1_99 and subaru335i like this.

Keep track of the total hours you'll have in it by the time you finish. That will explain why pro's charge what they do.
    Rumdig and random84 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Unavowed View Post
    Keep track of the total hours you'll have in it by the time you finish. That will explain why pro's charge what they do.
    That is exactly my thought as I was 3 hours deep into the hood alone.
    Blades1_99 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

Over the weekend I upgraded to a variable speed 6" DA. Within 10 minutes of buffing with compound I was able to duplicate the quality that I could obtain with the previously used buffer after an hour of use. I managed to get another 4 hours into the car; two front quarter panels and the two doors. I'll post up some comparison pics when I have time.

My cousin has generously offered his time to knock out the remaining panels this weekend as well as do a full body final polish followed by CQuartz UK 3.0

Total time Invested so far: 7 hours
    Blades1_99 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdig View Post
    Over the weekend I upgraded to a variable speed 6" DA. Within 10 minutes of buffing with compound I was able to duplicate the quality that I could obtain with the previously used buffer after an hour of use. I managed to get another 4 hours into the car; two front quarter panels and the two doors. I'll post up some comparison pics when I have time.

My cousin has generously offered his time to knock out the remaining panels this weekend as well as do a full body final polish followed by CQuartz UK 3.0

Total time Invested so far: 7 hours
    And this is why the Rupes > Porter Cable.
    Rumdig likes this.

Super Moderator
    Just used Feynlab ceramic lite. Very impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    Kooks LT w/cats stock muffs
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

Quote Originally Posted by blubyu View Post
    And this is why the Rupes > Porter Cable.
    you assume he used a rupes lol
    Rumdig likes this.

2014 Phantom Grey sedan lots of mods

Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post
    Just used Feynlab ceramic lite. Very impressive.

Would you recommend it vs the CQuartz 3.0 with half the longevity? I am not familiar with any ceramic coatings yet.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF300 View Post
    you assume he used a rupes lol
    My comment flew right over your head LOL... Not many go from a cheapo Autozone orbital to a Rupes but the difference in a Harbor Freight, PC or older Griots to Rupes is nearly the same as el cheapo orbital to DA entry level.

Super Moderator
    Would you recommend it vs the CQuartz 3.0 with half the longevity? I am not familiar with any ceramic coatings yet.
    Its rated as a 1 year but reviews say it lasts much longer, it is super easy to install and looks better than gyeon mohs (a higher end DIY coating)

Rumdig likes this.
    679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

My comment flew right over your head LOL... Not many go from a cheapo Autozone orbital to a Rupes but the difference in a Harbor Freight, PC or older Griots to Rupes is nearly the same as el cheapo orbital to DA entry level.
    6" is 6"

I did my car over the summer and laughing the whole time thinking about how a 6" machine might have saved me maybe 15% of labor

6" is 6"

I did my car over the summer and laughing the whole time thinking about how a 6" machine might have saved me maybe 15% of labor
    Not sure if serious on this pad diameter metric being used...Thats like saying a 1/2" drive impact is a 1/2" drive impact due to the size of its chuck lol.

no im being serious I used my smaller DA and was laughing to myself that a bigger machine would have saved me very little time

I would absolutely go the Rupes route IF my needs dictated such. In the short term, this is the only car i will be buffing/polishing, my truck does not show scratches and my junker work car is plasti-dipped. If i had the need to maintain the finish of multiple cars then i definitely would have gone that route.

Thanks for the direction @Larry Arizona, i will look into it.
    RobF300 likes this.

no im being serious I used my smaller DA and was laughing to myself that a bigger machine would have saved me very little time
    The throw and power is what saves time, not the pad size.

A Rupes with a 6" pad will work 30-40% quicker than a PC with a 6" pad, I'm talking DA polishers here and not rotary's and I own both and have used both. Time is money to me and my time whether its on my personal cars or someone elses car is worth a lot more to me than what it seems others value theirs. Keep laughing though, it keeps you healthy and more people definitely need that in their life. Going to see Tom Segura in a couple weeks and I'm stoked!

I would absolutely go the Rupes route IF my needs dictated such. In the short term, this is the only car i will be buffing/polishing, my truck does not show scratches and my junker work car is plasti-dipped. If i had the need to maintain the finish of multiple cars then i definitely would have gone that route.

Thanks for the direction @Larry Arizona, i will look into it.
    Crystal Serum Lite is another great consumer coating that is very easy to work with. Another detailing buddy of mine swears by 22PLE as well.
    Rumdig likes this.

The throw and power is what saves time, not the pad size.

A Rupes with a 6" pad will work 30-40% quicker than a PC with a 6" pad, I'm talking DA polishers here and not rotary's and I own both and have used both. Time is money to me and my time whether its on my personal cars or someone elses car is worth a lot more to me than what it seems others value theirs. Keep laughing though, it keeps you healthy and more people definitely need that in their life. Going to see Tom Segura in a couple weeks and I'm stoked!
    ive used both as well, in my previous life I had a detail shop. Back when PC were first being used and clay was the newest thing but those who already knew were just using pneumatic DA sanders with pads attached to them. I still carry those skills into my everyday job and not a few days go by I dont have to polish something.

the point is I would never bully someone to buy an expensive machine or any tool for that matter they may only use once or twice just so they can save 20 minutes cleaning their car. Ive always said get an inexpensive machine, get a feel for it and when you outgrow that look into something better.
    Polisher, wrench, nail gun, sanders, spray guns- it all applies some people just dont need pro grade stuff.
    You have indicated you polish other people's cars so for you its worth saving a little time but before that polisher came out Im sure you were still doing great work with less.

ive used both as well, in my previous life I had a detail shop. Back when PC were first being used and clay was the newest thing but those who already knew were just using pneumatic DA sanders with pads attached to them. I still carry those skills into my everyday job and not a few days go by I dont have to polish something.

the point is I would never bully someone to buy an expensive machine or any tool for that matter they may only use once or twice just so they can save 20 minutes cleaning their car. Ive always said get an inexpensive machine, get a feel for it and when you outgrow that look into something better.
    Polisher, wrench, nail gun, sanders, spray guns- it all applies some people just dont need pro grade stuff.
    You have indicated you polish other people's cars so for you its worth saving a little time but before that polisher came out Im sure you were still doing great work with less.
    My bad, didn't realize I was bullying anyone lol. I agree with you on all points but I couldn't go back myself now that I've had the nicer product.

My bad, didn't realize I was bullying anyone lol. I agree with you on all points but I couldn't go back myself now that I've had the nicer product.
    Their is way too much bullying going on around here

It would be similar to buying a CTS V as your high school car then attempting to drive a Camry afterwards?

The following pics are the results from the previously used buffer, ~30 minutes in a 3x3 area. Notice that a lot of the deep swirl still remains.

Started Correcting Paint-scratch1.jpg
    Started Correcting Paint-scratch2.jpg

there was another thread where someone had asked about a machine my comments were an extension/inside joke of that thread. sorry if the term bullied bothers you
    if I have to start watching every single thing that I type for fear of upsetting someone I will be sure to start using way worse words so we can really get some heads to explode

there was another thread where someone had asked about a machine my comments were an extension/inside joke of that thread. sorry if the term bullied bothers you
    if I have to start watching every single thing that I type for fear of upsetting someone I will be sure to start using way worse words so we can really get some heads to explode
    What a bully....I am hurt!
    RobF300 likes this.

Super Moderator
    Exactly what compounds are you using, sounds like it’s more pad and compound than machine.

Whatever you are using is not working. It should not take 30 minutes per 3x3.

Rumdig likes this.
    679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post
    Exactly what compounds are you using, sounds like it’s more pad and compound than machine.

Whatever you are using is not working. It should not take 30 minutes per 3x3.

The newly picked up buffer provides the same result with just a few passes, maybe a few minutes of working that same 3x3 area. I am currently using the Meguiars ultimate compound

The newly picked up buffer provides the same result with just a few passes, maybe a few minutes of working that same 3x3 area. I am currently using the Meguiars ultimate compound
    M105 > that stuff
    Rumdig likes this.

M105 > that stuff

M105 > that stuff
    Did not even know this was available. Thanks a bunch, now if I can find some locally that would be even better

Did not even know this was available. Thanks a bunch, now if I can find some locally that would be even better
    Autozone carries it.

Autozone carries it.
    Done. Thanks again.

I looked into the various compounds that Meguiars offers and it seems as though the M105 should be the go to in this scenario. I attempted a few quick passes on one small 2x2 section of door panel last night and the Ultimate Compound (UC) still left quite a few of the deeper scratches. Although the UC does allow the ability to be worked more with an easier clean-up, less finish haze, and less dust, I am going to need just a tad more cut to get the final finish that I desire. Otherwise, this project will just take me too long to complete.

As far as the M101 compound, that seemed to be way too abrasive for my current needs and skill level.
    Last edited by Rumdig; 10-17-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links