Started Correcting Paint - Page 2
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Started Correcting Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdig View Post
    I looked into the various compounds that Meguiars offers and it seems as though the M105 should be the go to in this scenario. I attempted a few quick passes on one small 2x2 section of door panel last night and the Ultimate Compound (UC) still left quite a few of the deeper scratches. Although the UC does allow to the ability to be worked more with an easier clean-up, less finish haze, and less dust, I am going to need just a tad more cut to get the final finish that I desire. Otherwise, this project will just take me too long to complete.

As far as the M101 compound, that seemed to be way too abrasive for my current needs and skill level.
    M100 is fantastic as well and better if the damage is deeper and more pronounced. If you want it nearly flawless finish with M205 before adding your coating or sealant.
    Rumdig likes this.

I use M105 on an Lake Country Orange CCS pad and then go to M205 on a White CCS followed by a Glaze called Malco Plum Crazy with Black CCS and then Meguiars Black Wax on a Red CCS.
    Rumdig and KrzyFast like this.
    2013 OBM A6 CTS-V Coupe
    Mods: 8.6 Lower, ID850's, NGK TR7IX's, Spectre Performance CAI, SRI Ported Throttle Body, 160* T-Stat, Hard Line Delete W/ 3/4" Lines, Billy Boat Exhaust, Stoptech Drilled & Slotted Rotors, EBC Redstuff, Cut Stock Springs, 6K HID Fogs, Full ATS-V Emblem Conversion, Full LED Conversion
    Mod Pile: Smooth Flow MPS W/ 2.4 or 2.5 pulley, Solid Isolator, FB 101 Front Mount HX, Pierberg CWA50
    2006 Black Raven STS-V (Traded In)
    Fully Modded: [email protected]/[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by blubyu View Post
    M100 is fantastic as well and better if the damage is deeper and more pronounced. If you want it nearly flawless finish with M205 before adding your coating or sealant.
    Being a rookie I better stick with something less abrasive until I figure out the cars', and my own, limitations. Thanks for all of your input! I will also be on the lookout for the M205 as a finishing agent.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

Over the weekend I had a few hours of free time to get back to this project. I picked up a bottle of the Meguiars M105 (they sure are proud of that stuff $) and decided to just use the Meguiars Polish compound I already had to remove any glazing left from the 105. Through the course of 4 hours I was able to make another pass over the hood and the entire passenger side.

Total time Invested: 11 hours

Lessons learned/thoughts:
    - From what I found this product did have a very short work time. To be fair, I was mainly working on the sunny side of the car in ~65 degree weather. The metal was quite warm to the touch, this definitely had an impact on the workability of the product. On occasion I spritzed the pad while working; this not only helped cool the pad but also increased the abrasive abilities of the compound once it has started to flash as well as brought more compound out of the pad. I had to spritz very sparingly and/or maintain a certain amount of compound, it was very apparent when too much compound was applied using this method.
    - The dust created from using the M105 was considerably higher than when I used the Ultimate Compound. This did bother me at times but I learned to manage it through proper use of the compound itself. Once the compound began to flash you had two options; either apply a spritz and continue to work that compound or call it good and remove it. Application amount and surface temperature both affected the amount of dusting that was created, nothing that a micro-fiber towel couldn't handle.
    - I found that the Ultimate Polish did an excellent job of removing any hazing left over from the M105 cut. This hazing was quite apparent on a few panels and was not something that I had experienced when using the Ultimate Compound.

If I'm lucky I will wrap up the correction this weekend and apply the ceramic coating.

Started Correcting Paint-car.jpg
    SimplyDreamin likes this.

next time move the car so you are working in the shade side
    SimplyDreamin and Rumdig like this.

2014 Phantom Grey sedan lots of mods

And if that's not possible, hold off on it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF300 View Post
    next time move the car so you are working in the shade side
    I know. It was partial shade when I started.

I finally finished correcting the paint the weekend. Having more experience with the DA as well as the compounds i was able to obtain a quality finish. There are still areas where a few deep scratches remain and I'm fine with that given the high probability of burning through the clear coat.

I still wonder how this car was cared for by the previous owner, it must have seen a lot of snow and road chemicals. Almost all of the badges look like the one attached and the base coat is exposed just above. Is there a good remedy for something like this once i remove the badge?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Started Correcting Paint-20191110_175845.jpg Started Correcting Paint-20191109_174403.jpg
    SimplyDreamin, PGA2B and KrzyFast like this.

reflection shot looks good!
    Rumdig and SimplyDreamin like this.
    2013 OBM A6 CTS-V Coupe
    Mods: 8.6 Lower, ID850's, NGK TR7IX's, Spectre Performance CAI, SRI Ported Throttle Body, 160* T-Stat, Hard Line Delete W/ 3/4" Lines, Billy Boat Exhaust, Stoptech Drilled & Slotted Rotors, EBC Redstuff, Cut Stock Springs, 6K HID Fogs, Full ATS-V Emblem Conversion, Full LED Conversion
    Mod Pile: Smooth Flow MPS W/ 2.4 or 2.5 pulley, Solid Isolator, FB 101 Front Mount HX, Pierberg CWA50

If you are going to keep it that way I would invest in Porter Cable XP 7424 or something similar. I don't do it enough to warrant investing in a Rupes. So for what I do the P/C works fine. I also just topped mine with Meguiars Ceramic Wax . SO we'll see how that does.
    Last edited by PGA2B; 11-10-2019 at 08:27 PM.
    SimplyDreamin and Rumdig like this.
    2013 OBM A6 CTS-V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post
    If you are going to keep it that way I would invest in Porter Cable...
    I didn't follow what you meant here. You bad mouthing my no name DA?

I have thought about how to remedy the lack of clear coat above the two door badges. I think the easiest approach, since I need new badges anyways, is to just install the new badge slightly higher to cover that area. This should offer some tiny bit of protection and cover that nasty spot up.

Oh... Sorry I didn't realize you had a DA thought you were still using an older 5" orbital polisher. Totally missed you got a DA in post #4.

You'll have to excuse me as I never learned to pay attention as my wife can verify...
    Last edited by PGA2B; 11-11-2019 at 07:45 AM.
    Rumdig likes this.
    2013 OBM A6 CTS-V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post
    Oh... Sorry I didn't realize you had a DA thought you were still using an older 5" orbital polisher. Totally missed you got a DA in post #4.

You'll have to excuse me as I never learned to pay attention as my wife can verify...
    She hasn't beat you enough, it is clearly her fault!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links