Header/exhaust suggestions
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Header/exhaust suggestions

Read several threads on headers and updating stock exhaust. But I thought I'd get some feedback. my V is a 2013 sedan. Mamo LS7 TB, Ported Jokerz 102mm snout, 2.45 pulley, BB high flow cats, green belt, Airraid, Cal Hartline tune. It's my daily driver so need to keep the interior drone and fumes to a minimum to keep the wife happy Leaning towards ARH or Kooks with high flow cats through stock mufflers. Not sure if I should go with a full system or just the headers and cats and tie into the rest of the exhaust system.

Also, how much of a pain is it to remove the stock manifolds and install headers. I have a 4 post lift and solve the mystery of getting the O2 sensors disconnected.... LOL

Any constructive help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by g8r-V; 11-02-2019 at 05:59 AM.
    2013 V sedan, Mamo LS7 TB, Ported Jokerz 102mm snout, 2.45 grip tech hub & pulley, BB high flow cats, green belt, Airraid green filter, Cal Hartline tune.

I can only comment on what I have read through a couple hundred different posts regarding headers...stick with the factory mufflers. Some have experienced a nice balance with the Borla's, Corsa seems too loud with a more noticeable drone (especially Corsa sport). Everyone else here will chime in on what has worked for them.

As for the replacement itself, with a lift it shouldn't be too bad. You just have to make sure to maintain the steering shafts' alignment (lock your steering wheel and mark the shaft before disassembly). Removal of the coil packs, dipstick tube, and spark plugs is needed.
    MYV likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdig View Post
    I can only comment on what I have read through a couple hundred different posts regarding headers...stick with the factory mufflers. Some have experienced a nice balance with the Borla's, Corsa seems too loud with a more noticeable drone (especially Corsa sport). Everyone else here will chime in on what has worked for them.

As for the replacement itself, with a lift it shouldn't be too bad. You just have to make sure to maintain the steering shafts' alignment (lock your steering wheel and mark the shaft before disassembly). Removal of the coil packs, dipstick tube, and spark plugs is needed.
    Thanks for the reply. Leaning towards Kooks with catted x-pipe into stock exhaust.
    SimplyDreamin and Rumdig like this.
    2013 V sedan, Mamo LS7 TB, Ported Jokerz 102mm snout, 2.45 grip tech hub & pulley, BB high flow cats, green belt, Airraid green filter, Cal Hartline tune.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

Can't go wrong with Kooks to stock mufflers.
    2013 TG Sedan

ID1050x's, 2.4 griptech/8.66 lower, GP 2.5 cam, AEM drop in pumps, custom added Walbro 450 pump, DSX flex fuel sensor, DMS Auxiliary Fuel Filter, Track Attack HX, CWA50 pump, ZL1 Lid. 90mm TB, Kooks catless headers, Airaid with green filter, Moroso catch can, AFR500v2 wideband, tuned by Pat G/Me.

2011 BDT Sedan
    ID850's, 2.4 upper, Track Attack HX, Varimax pump, ZL1 Lid, Texas Speed headers, Airaid with green filter, Moroso catch can, LPE tank, PLX wideband, tuned by Pat G.

In Dec I'm having my 2" into 3" TSP (ceramic coated) with Hi Flow cat (I don't need gas smell at functions) into stock mufflers so it is quiet when I pull into upscale Hotels like the Don Cesar or Ritz Carlton. LT1Z and others say it will be "quiet" until high two thousands RPMS.
    Unavowed likes this.
    "Pearl" is a 2011, V Coupe, A6, Recaros, Skyview.

Mods: Airaid - Red filter, Side Swipe, Mamo LS7 Ported TB, ZL1 lid, Fasterproms underhood tank, BMR Catch Can, ....

Quote Originally Posted by Blades1_99 View Post
    In Dec I'm having my 2" into 3" TSP (ceramic coated) with Hi Flow cat (I don't need gas smell at functions) into stock mufflers so it is quiet when I pull into upscale Hotels like the Don Cesar or Ritz Carlton. LT1Z and others say it will be "quiet" until high two thousands RPMS.
    Or you go cat less and add a cam lol then it gets a little louder at idel. Then fix the smell with E!
    2013 TG Sedan

ID1050x's, 2.4 griptech/8.66 lower, GP 2.5 cam, AEM drop in pumps, custom added Walbro 450 pump, DSX flex fuel sensor, DMS Auxiliary Fuel Filter, Track Attack HX, CWA50 pump, ZL1 Lid. 90mm TB, Kooks catless headers, Airaid with green filter, Moroso catch can, AFR500v2 wideband, tuned by Pat G/Me.

2011 BDT Sedan
    ID850's, 2.4 upper, Track Attack HX, Varimax pump, ZL1 Lid, Texas Speed headers, Airaid with green filter, Moroso catch can, LPE tank, PLX wideband, tuned by Pat G.

FTW.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Header/exhaust suggestions-15867745899_2e89f7b798_b.jpg   Header/exhaust suggestions-eeb62ff9a09318eec8814fa586262415.jpg  
    Rumdig, random84, MYV and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ASteggall View Post
    Or you go cat less and add a cam lol then it gets a little louder at idel. Then fix the smell with E!
    Will have Matt's 2 cam. Not doing E. Don't want to mess with aux pumps and all that.

Mods: Airaid - Red filter, Side Swipe, Mamo LS7 Ported TB, ZL1 lid, Fasterproms underhood tank, BMR Catch Can, ....

Will have Matt's 2 cam. Not doing E. Don't want to mess with aux pumps and all that.

Headers with stainless works mufflers is also full retard. I like it though. I don't daily the car so I like the loudness.

The aux pump isn't a hard install. Probably the best bang for the buck mod I've done.
    MYV likes this.
    2012 CTS-V
    DDTech Tuned
    2.55/9.84 • BTR3 Torque Cam • ID1050X's
    New Era 4.5" • DSX Aux Kit & Flex Fuel • TSP 2" headers
    -12AN ZL1 Lid • Vadder Dual HX • Stewart EMP • PNR Trunk Tank

Quote Originally Posted by EFoxwell View Post
    Headers with stainless works mufflers is also full retard. I like it though. I don't daily the car so I like the loudness.

The aux pump isn't a hard install. Probably the best bang for the buck mod I've done.
    I don't want to cut the tank.

You can do E with bigger injectors and just run a 50% blend. You can also run a third in tank pump, but that is more involved then the aux pump so you're probably not going down that road.
    Blades1_99 and MYV like this.
    2013 TG Sedan

2011 BDT Sedan

You can do E with bigger injectors and just run a 50% blend. You can also run a third in tank pump, but that is more involved then the aux pump so you're probably not going down that road.
    I had a chance, with a guy on FB who was selling a used DSX fuel sensor really good price, to do that and then staying 30-50% blend without doing anything to the tank. But he ghosted away...unlike buying parts from forum participants.

Vendor
    90% of the V2s we build in house run an ARH long system to stock mufflers.
    Karch and MYV like this.

If you wanna go nuts the stock V2 mufflers are actually 2.75 internal pipe. If you cut the inlet off close you can weld on a 3 inch to 2.75 reducer and eliminate all 2.5 inch pipe. I have LT to Kooks green cats, 4 resonators and stock mufflers and it's really nice and makes plenty of both power and noise.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    random84 and MYV like this.
    CTS-V: Celebrating 3 generations of N.F.G.

Because groceries deserve LS power, too!

Well I decided on Kooks and their catted x-pipe. Started looking around for prices and found this place was a lot lower than others. This is for headers and a catted x-pipe. Are they legit??? https://thmotorsports.com/10595839-k...EaAk-4EALw_wcB
    Last edited by g8r-V; 11-05-2019 at 06:13 AM.
    Blades1_99 likes this.

So you're telling me they significantly cheaper than everyone else - and you're worried it's too good to be true?

Hmmm....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I would strongly encourage you to stay away from THMotorsports.

Super Moderator
    That’s actually not that cheap. It’s a good deal but not the best I have seen.

I recall Lindsay Cadillac sold me catted kooks for $1350 shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    Kooks LT w/cats stock muffs
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post

This is long tube headers and a catted x-pipe

Kooks typically sells just the headers for around $1300, and another grand or so for the X pipe - so they're usually $2200+ street price for the typical set.

If you got an x pipe with that deal I'd wager someone made a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by TriTexan View Post
    If you wanna go nuts the stock V2 mufflers are actually 2.75 internal pipe. If you cut the inlet off close you can weld on a 3 inch to 2.75 reducer and eliminate all 2.5 inch pipe. I have LT to Kooks green cats, 4 resonators and stock mufflers and it's really nice and makes plenty of both power and noise.

You're going to miss that sound, I can tell!
    TriTexan likes this.

Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by TriTexan View Post

With that diameter reduction so far back from the engine it makes little to no difference in power.

Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by random84 View Post
    Kooks typically sells just the headers for around $1300, and another grand or so for the X pipe - so they're usually $2200+ street price for the typical set.

If you got an x pipe with that deal I'd wager someone made a mistake.

If you are getting Kooks headers and a catted Y pipe for $1300 someone either losing money on them if new, selling used or when the package shows up it will just be a set of headers with no X pipe.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lt1z View Post
    If you are getting Kooks headers and a catted Y pipe for $1300 someone either losing money on them if new, selling used or when the package shows up it will just be a set of headers with no X pipe.
    If I recall Lindsay Cadillac just wanted them out of their inventory. So likely a one time clearance. They were NIB and installed on my car.

679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    Kooks LT w/cats stock muffs
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

Vendor
    If I recall Lindsay Cadillac just wanted them out of their inventory. So likely a one time clearance. They were NIB and installed on my car.

Sometimes a business will be motivated to take a loss if they aren't a performance vendor

Thmotorsports is the next MarylandSpeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Unavowed View Post
    Thmotorsports is the next MarylandSpeed.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ they're professionals at the crawfish game.
    They're follow up with customer issues sucks.

Zero cares . . . Can't see it from my house attitude
    Mine - 04 Crew Cab Silverado 2500 | 6.0L | 4L80e | 4wd | L92 heads/intake | 1-7/8 LTs
    Wife's - 2011 GMC Yukon XL 5.3 | 6 speed
    Toy - 73 K5 Blazer Full Convertible | 350 | TH350 | 203 | 6" lift | 35s - soon to be LSA 6.2 LSA blower swap

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like spending a couple hundred more from a more reputable vendor is worth the piece of mind if you have a problem with the item.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt1z View Post
    With that diameter reduction so far back from the engine it makes little to no difference in power.
    Yes, sorry-that is absolutely correct. I know it's been a long time ago but main goal was the deeper sound. I had a full 3 inch with MagnaFlows with 3 inch internal pipes. They sounded deep and amazing but droned like hell. I wanted to keep the deeper, richer sound...so when I went back to stock mufflers I tried not to have a neck down. That will def alter the tone.

CTS-V: Celebrating 3 generations of N.F.G.

Because groceries deserve LS power, too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links