Header/exhaust suggestions - Page 2
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Header/exhaust suggestions

I personally chose Kooks because they were one if not the first company to offer headers for the V2's and I knew fitment wouldn't be an issue.

Installation was time consuming doing it all in my garage with the car on jack stands. You need to removal all the coil packs, then spark plugs and the dipstick tube. Some people say to remove the Airaid to gain access to the spark plug and header bolts but with the right tools it's not necessary. Listen to Rumdog and mark the steering shaft really well and realign it all exactly the same. This is a very key step.

Here is where I struggled. Removing the old manifolds bolts connected to the heads wasn't that bad but the 2 bolts that connect the exhaust to the manifolds gave me a hard time. The driver side bolts took some serious muscle to break loose but the passenger side were seized. Out of frustration I fired up the compressor and brought out the impact gun. Bad idea, it too couldn't break the bolt loose but sure did snap the head off one of the bolts.

The other part I struggled with was disconnecting the O2 harness that is attached to the back of the engine. I literally had to climb on top of the engine and work off of feel because you can't see back there.

Since you're working new hardware putting the Kooks headers on was much easier than removing the old manifolds. The fitment was as perfect as is their quality. My first setup was kooks headers to kooks catless x-pipe to stock mufflers. It had a nice rumble but wasn't too loud and it didn't drone. When I floored it you could clearly hear the S/C whine. I'm one of the rare few that likes loud so i added Corsa Sports. Now my car is f'ing loud. When I floor it all I hear is the motor roaring and the exhaust rumble. I can't hear the S/C anymore. If E-85 is an option then go catless to the stock mufflers. E smells good and the noise levels are very acceptable.
    Rumdig likes this.
    2012 Black CTS-V Coupe A6 (Aka: The Black Behemoth)
    Stage 1 Mods:
    Airaid CAI w\Sideswipe
    Kook 2" headers, Kooks 3" off road x-pipe, Corsa Sport mufflers
    C&R HX, BMR Reservoir, ZL1 Lid, Varimax pump, 160 T-stat
    493 HP & TQ w/93 Octane on Mustang MD250 Dyno

Stage 2 Mods:
    Fore Fuel Pump setup w/ID 1300 Injectors and Flex Fuel Sensor
    2.38 Pulley w/Green belt & Green Air Filter
    NGK TR7IX plugs and Mighty Mouse catch can
    554 HP/570 TQ on 93 Octane - 616 HP/633 TQ w/E85 on Mustang MD250 Dyno

Stage 3 Mods:
    Boost Mode Racing fully ported stock blower with bolt delete and 102mm snout
    Nick Williams 102 TB and Dynospeed 4.5" CAI
    630 HP/680 TQ on E85

Quote Originally Posted by Force_Recon View Post
    I personally chose Kooks because they were one if not the first company to offer headers for the V2's and I knew fitment wouldn't be an issue.

Installation was time consuming doing it all in my garage with the car on jack stands. You need to removal all the coil packs, then spark plugs and the dipstick tube. Some people say to remove the Airaid to gain access to the spark plug and header bolts but with the right tools it's not necessary. Listen to Rumdog and mark the steering shaft really well and realign it all exactly the same. This is a very key step.

Here is where I struggled. Removing the old manifolds bolts connected to the heads wasn't that bad but the 2 bolts that connect the exhaust to the manifolds gave me a hard time. The driver side bolts took some serious muscle to break loose but the passenger side were seized. Out of frustration I fired up the compressor and brought out the impact gun. Bad idea, it too couldn't break the bolt loose but sure did snap the head off one of the bolts.

The other part I struggled with was disconnecting the O2 harness that is attached to the back of the engine. I literally had to climb on top of the engine and work off of feel because you can't see back there.

Since you're working new hardware putting the Kooks headers on was much easier than removing the old manifolds. The fitment was as perfect as is their quality. My first setup was kooks headers to kooks catless x-pipe to stock mufflers. It had a nice rumble but wasn't too loud and it didn't drone. When I floored it you could clearly hear the S/C whine. I'm one of the rare few that likes loud so i added Corsa Sports. Now my car is f'ing loud. When I floor it all I hear is the motor roaring and the exhaust rumble. I can't hear the S/C anymore. If E-85 is an option then go catless to the stock mufflers. E smells good and the noise levels are very acceptable.
    too bad you didnt get the full kooks, i think you would have loved it

2014 Phantom Grey sedan lots of mods

jrV
    I had the Borla S catback on stock headers and it sounded awesome but it was only 2.5" and I didn't want to hack it up to mount to the Kooks LT's.

Now I have Kooks LT's to Kooks green-cats to full 3" Billy Boat exhaust. Don't even need the cats since I run e85 but during initial planning and ordering e85 wasn't even a consideration. Personally I never liked how the stock mufflers sounded so raspy - that's why I went with the BB exhaust.

I loved it for about 2 weeks. Now I hate myself along with my neighbors due to how loud it is. I plan on getting some resonators to tone it down. I always loved the tone @TriTexan has on his V - thought it sounded perfect but he had a lot of work put into that exhaust. I think I just need a pair or two of 3" inlet/outlet resonators to get where I like it and my neighbors and the rest of the world won't think I'm so much of a douche.
    SimplyDreamin likes this.
    - 2011 TGC Sedan | A6 | Recaro's | Ultraview | Suede

- Mods : AIRAID | Mamo Ported TB | DSX Flex Fuel Kit/Filter/Aux Fuel Pump Kit | ZL1 Lid | Fluidyne T-Rex HX | Varimax HX pump | Kook's Headers w/green cats | B&B axleback | 2.4" upper | ID1300's | Lt1z stg 2.5 cam | Pat G Tuned
    - WTB/To-Do: Ported TFS Heads | Ported blower/snout/102mmTB | Weld RT-S S71's and DR's

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jrV View Post
    I had the Borla S catback on stock headers and it sounded awesome but it was only 2.5" and I didn't want to hack it up to mount to the Kooks LT's.

Now I have Kooks LT's to Kooks green-cats to full 3" Billy Boat exhaust. Don't even need the cats since I run e85 but during initial planning and ordering e85 wasn't even a consideration. Personally I never liked how the stock mufflers sounded so raspy - that's why I went with the BB exhaust.

I loved it for about 2 weeks. Now I hate myself along with my neighbors due to how loud it is. I plan on getting some resonators to tone it down. I always loved the tone @TriTexan has on his V - thought it sounded perfect but he had a lot of work put into that exhaust. I think I just need a pair or two of 3" inlet/outlet resonators to get where I like it and my neighbors and the rest of the world won't think I'm so much of a douche.
    Yeah - the extra resonators help a lot. I've got four, two large and two midsize on each side. 3 inch core and 4 inch outer diameter.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    CTS-V: Celebrating 3 generations of N.F.G.

Because groceries deserve LS power, too!

Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by g8r-V View Post
    Well I decided on Kooks and their catted x-pipe. Started looking around for prices and found this place was a lot lower than others. This is for headers and a catted x-pipe. Are they legit??? https://thmotorsports.com/10595839-k...EaAk-4EALw_wcB
    THmotorsports is on Kook's no-sell list that they just sent out to all dealers (along with Maryland Speed)...

I'll join in with the chorus, Kooks + stock catback is the most popular route at our shop too. Nice tone/rumble but not obnoxious or aggressive. I'd go with 1 7/8" unless it's a really high power build.

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
    www.pcmofnc.com
    Performance Parts & Installs - Dyno Tuning - Mail Order/Email Tuning
    704-307-4227

I have ARH with high flow cats to BORLAS SPORTS and have zero drone on my sedan, from what I hear there is some drone on the coupes.. driving you can barely tell a difference between stock. But it's a beast when you open it up

Ok lots of good info. My kooks are on the way. Be here Monday. Thinking about coating them before I install them. Looking forward to them. What does everyone use for gaskets? The ones furnished ok?? Copper RTV or aluminum rtv?
    Rumdig likes this.
    2013 V sedan, Mamo LS7 TB, Ported Jokerz 102mm snout, 2.45 grip tech hub & pulley, BB high flow cats, green belt, Airraid green filter, Cal Hartline tune.

If you could wait a few weeks, people like the Swain coating. I had my headers ceramic coated.
    "Pearl" is a 2011, V Coupe, A6, Recaros, Skyview.

Mods: Airaid - Red filter, Side Swipe, Mamo LS7 Ported TB, ZL1 lid, Fasterproms underhood tank, BMR Catch Can, ....

Ok lots of good info. My kooks are on the way. Be here Monday. Thinking about coating them before I install them. Looking forward to them. What does everyone use for gaskets? The ones furnished ok?? Copper RTV or aluminum rtv?
    Swaintech is the best, but takes the longest. I think I am in the 4th week waiting on mine. The other ceramic coatings are helpful but also cheaper and easy.

Copper RTV is the high temp stuff you'd most likely want.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Blades1_99 View Post
    If you could wait a few weeks, people like the Swain coating. I had my headers ceramic coated.
    Headers only not x-pipe ???
    2013 V sedan, Mamo LS7 TB, Ported Jokerz 102mm snout, 2.45 grip tech hub & pulley, BB high flow cats, green belt, Airraid green filter, Cal Hartline tune.

speed engineering. I have a set on for months with no issues. flanges were flat, welds were satisfactory and price is right. ceramic coating is a must as stated above.

Headers only not x-pipe ???
    Yes. Just the headers.
    "Pearl" is a 2011, V Coupe, A6, Recaros, Skyview.

Mods: Airaid - Red filter, Side Swipe, Mamo LS7 Ported TB, ZL1 lid, Fasterproms underhood tank, BMR Catch Can, ....

My Kooks were delivered yesterday. Nice setup. Dropped off the headers to get ceramic coated on my way into work. Went with a titanium color instead of black. I figured everyone does black. Should be done Friday for a weekend install. Can't wait.
    Blades1_99 and SimplyDreamin like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links