Removing Plasti Dip from complex surfaces?
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.

Removing Plasti Dip from complex surfaces?

I've been looking at V's for sale and am finding a bunch that have all of the bright trim blacked out with plastidip.

Since I prefer the brightwork, is there an easy way to remove the coating from complex parts like the window trim and grille?

So far everything I've found on removing the stuff involves picking and peeling.

While that might be ok for things like wheels it would be a nightmare on the small parts and definitely not something I'm interested in doing.

Thanks, Ken

Pick and peel for trim. Just use a tooth pick to get it started so it doesn't damage the chrome surface. Once you actually try it you'll realize how much it's NOT a nightmare.. As for the grille.. Uninstall it and spray it down with a gentle solvent (WD-40 works I hear) to melt/soften the dip, and use a gentle brush to clean it off.. It's not rocket science..
    2012 BDT COUPE M6, 490/470, AIRAID, SW CAT BACK, Mamo TB, Core Shifter, Vitesse TC, V2V, Cut Eibachs, SunTek PPF, More to come.........

Thanks for the info. I will look into the solvents that soften it.

Ken

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

they have a solvent that removes it, but wd40, and a few others eat it normally enough you can use a pressure washer and it comes right off.
    Forged short block - Wcch heads -Jokers Chaos ported blower - gp tuning 2.5 cam and goodies - ARH Headers - 2.45/9.17 - DSX Aux fuel system - DSM filter - MM CC - PatG tuned.
    Best 1/4 mile 1.55 60f [email protected] Has more in it

Dat ass
    I used Goof-Off with much success
    2011 CTS-V Coupe: 659whp/598wtq on E60 - Tuned by WeaponX! M6, silver hardtop, gloss black roof, titanium Recaros, Airaid, gloss black MRR228 20x9/20x11s, red calipers, WeaponX carbon splitter/side blades/fog light buckets, rear inserts, D3 rear diffuser & Bladewing, Core Shifter, WeaponX Track Attack and Low Mount HX, Eibachs, QTP wireless cutouts, 2.55 pulley, ID850s, ported snout, Mamo TB, NGK TR7IX, ZL1 lid (milled and powdercoated), Pinnacle Coolant Tank, DSteck E85 sensor, SideSwipe LSXTV article on my V
    1999 Firehawk Trans Am #156 of 719: M6, red/tan t-top, cam only
    2017 Focus RS2: (Daily)Stealth Grey, HRE FF04s, TunePlus, ECS Intercooler, AccessPort
    2010 CTS Sport Wagon Premium AWD: A6, maroon/tan - wife's ride
    2014 Fiesta ST: project car for my daughter
    2015 Fiesta ST: my project car

Quote Originally Posted by URPREY View Post
    I used Goof-Off with much success
    ^^^ this.
    Current* 2011 A6 Coupe, Ported TFS Heads, 10.5 Lower, LT1Z Stg 2.5 Cam, Johnson lifters, ID 850 Injectors, Ported Supercharger, Kooks coated headers, Alky Control, Airaid CAI, Katech HX, Norcal HX Expansion Tank, Meziere HX Pump, NGK TR7ix Plugs, Moroso Catch Can, Lid Spacer, PLX Wideband.

Sold * 2010 A6, 2.55 upper, ported snout, ARH longtubes/x-pipe, Fluidyne HX, Airaid CAI. Eibachs , 571hp/566tq

Citrus based cleaner of DYC's Dip Dissolver and a pressure washer will do the grill. All other parts, if applied properly will require 10-15 sec of peeling at an edge and the pull.

electric pressure washer will knock it off easily -- so may one of those wands at self service wash. as others have noted, you can soften with wd40 first

I recently went through the hassle of removing plastidip from my wheels and upper and lower grills.

Wheels are pretty easy, depending on how thick it was applied. Areas that got a light coating like the inner barrels were a pain to remove. I went the WD-40 and power washer route for these. It still left some residue on that I had to get off with a rag and Goo Gone. The lug nut areas were a pain as well to get it off.

The grill was a different story. I chose NOT to use WD-40 here. My reasoning is, the WD-40 turns the Plastidip into some type of goop, and it is sticky and if you power wash off, this goop will get into your radiator/heat exhanger and reduce their effectiveness. I went the tedious route of picking it off the grill with a toothpick and tweezers. Took me about 4 hours. I shouldve been smart and paid some kids down the street $10 to do it for me lol.
    SOLD 2011 CTS-V Wagon, 2011 CTS-V Sedan

Uggh!

Since I'm lazy in what little free time I have it sounds like I will avoid the cars with plastidip on them unless the perfect one comes along and is a screaming deal.

...rub it out?! (Sorry, pun intended)

You can have the front clip removed and take the grill out in about 20-30 min, then WD-40 and pressure wash.
    M6 Wagon waiting game...

Sold-2011 WD Wagon A6

Wd40 let soak for a bit wash off

I searched the forum and youtube and this is the most relevant result. I have dip-regret.

I sterilized and alcohol-wiped my rims before spraying 'em so thick that I'm 100% sure they'll peel-off like removing a rubber glove. My grilles, I did lightly / sparingly though.

So has any progress been made by anyone on un-dipping V grilles since 2017?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtl_V2 View Post
    I searched the forum and youtube and this is the most relevant result. I have dip-regret.

I sterilized and alcohol-wiped my rims before spraying 'em so thick that I'm 100% sure they'll peel-off like removing a rubber glove. My grilles, I did lightly / sparingly though.

So has any progress been made by anyone on un-dipping V grilles since 2017?

i would say if you arent wanting to go back to chrome just put more dip over them

and i just realized this is from 6 months ago lol

2014 Phantom Grey sedan lots of mods

Sponsored Links