New PB 9.74x
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Like Tree47Likes
  • 16 Post By t.j.t
  • 6 Post By Karch
  • 9 Post By MeanMike
  • 2 Post By random84
  • 3 Post By MeanMike
  • 4 Post By JAustin
  • 2 Post By random84
  • 1 Post By Unavowed
  • 1 Post By RobF300
  • 2 Post By EFoxwell
  • 1 Post By t.j.t

Thread: New PB 9.74x

New PB 9.74x

Well its been a fun year, a lot of learning and somehow ended up making some decently quick times.

My car is fully built bottom end, WCCH heads, jokers hand ported blower with 102, 2.35/9.1 and now a 200 shot of nitrous.

I went to the track in the spring and ran a 10.29 and then armed the nitrous with 100 jet and ran a 10.17. It is my first time ever using nitrous and it didnt seem right. I played with it all summer, and the car felt faster but the times were never really improving. No knock, but I was quite rich for a while .7-.75 lambda area. We leaned it out and I went to some 1/8th mile events and decided to up the jet to 200. They were competitive so I had some races I wanted to win. Well that turned out to be a bad idea as the car wouldn't shift out of first. I could do roll racing with the 200 jets, but on the track it would hit the rev limiter at 7200rpms, fuel cut off, and then do all sorts of hateful things to the motor.

2 weekends I fought with it, tried to reach out to PatG and I always had a feeling he didnt really have much interest in helping me with the nitrous. I never had a falling out with him, it was just very difficult to communicate with him.

So I reached out to Derek Dunbar at DDtech. Boy am I happy I did. I explained the issues I was having, he asked to see the current tune, and said most of my shift tables were still stock... (again this isnt a one tuner vs another) so it peaked my interest. I said I had another rental coming out and wasnt sure if he could get me dialed in in short notice. I had another 1/8th event on sunday and the following week a 1/4 miles rental. He said no problem, log runs and he would send me revisions.

I was very very very impressed with his services, this was a heads up event and he managed to send me tune revisions between rounds, we were on blower only as I wanted him to go over the entire tune, and the trans shifting out of the gate was... ill be honest... a little scary how "hard" it shifted. He kept assuring me "thats how they are suppose to shift" I had about 2 test hits, 3 rounds in and then I lost a race (red light), so I hung around to try a nitrous pass. The nitrous controller was setup how I was running it and I still clipped the 1st gear limiter, and smacked the second gear... I was spraying through the shifts and doing all sorts of things wrong derek explained to change.

So anyways, I go to the rental a week later, knowing the blower tune feels was faster with the shifts and the hopes to run nitrous and make a semi clean run. I did 3 blower passes and ran a 10.34, .07 off my blower only pass ever, and its 4400 da compared to 2500 on my blower only record.

So we decide to turn the nitrous on. At this point he asks what plugs, again I have the wrong plugs in it (br7), but we decide to go for it. First pass with nitrous the car sails, 9.83 @143. At this point im extremely happy, he asks me to pull a plug so we can review it and send him pictures. Things look good, we add 1 degree more timing and bring the nitrous on a little earlier. 9.74 @ 143.5 mph.

At this point im shocked the track isnt yelling at me, so I decide thats more then enough because I have a 300km drive home in the car. I set out to do what I wanted, the DA wasnt great so no reason to keep going at it, the track didnt speak to me once... I am shocked. and more so the tune and customer support was second to none.

I know the car isnt the fastest on a 200 shot, I am okay with that, it was 4800lb with me in it, 3600DA on my last pass after a rain storm, and 1 revision for the nitrous, with the wrong plugs, and derek said my 275x are crappy tires hahaha I stil managed a 1.49 60f, first time ever in that car so really there wasnt one aspect of that run I wasnt happy about.

Some huge help from this forum over the years

weapon X
    Mont motor sports
    WCCH (karch)
    Jokerz
    Gp tuning
    DSX

and anyone who sold items on the buy and sell. lol!

Car is still on stock transmission, ds and axles.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New PB 9.74x-20190904_231736.jpg  
    Last edited by t.j.t; 09-09-2019 at 12:04 AM.
    Forged short block - Wcch heads -Jokers Chaos ported blower - gp tuning 2.5 cam and goodies - ARH Headers - 2.45/9.17 - DSX Aux fuel system - DSM filter - MM CC - PatG tuned.
    Best 1/4 mile 1.55 60f [email protected] Has more in it

Nice, congratulations ...
    2009 TGC Sedan / A6 / Bolt On's / Tuned Throttle, Tran's & for E85/ 635 RWHP 645 RWTQ On 93 Octane 700+ RWHP 700+ RWTQ On E85 / Photo Album ... A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Nice!
    '12 WD non-wagon

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

That's awesome, I like it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Great to see you achieve your goal of getting the car nicely into the 9's!

Without a doubt, a lot of time, effort, money and learning have gone into this. Well done!!
    I'd imagine having e-85 available recently in your area has also been helpful....

I may have to look into Mr. Dunbar's services in the future. I'm also on a PG tune....

Administrator
    Congrats and well earned.

That’s high 8’s if you factor in the exchange rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Blown376, nbw123, 37fiat and 3 others like this.

Like I said in FB messenger. You are doing well to break into the 9's for your conditions. After spending the weekend at LS fest, I got a better appreciation of the reality of what most CTSV's run. If you pay attention to facebook, every SBE car run's 9's all the time. The truth is the ones that run fast are light and they only do it in fantastic DA weather. I had the fastest average for an LSA blown CTSV in true street with what would be considered a "slow" 10.34 average. There was one V that went faster and it had twin turbo's and went home hurt from my understanding.

When the cars with owners that talk a big game on the internet run at the same track and conditions you run in, they are much less impressive than they appear online. JW and his "star cars" were both major flops on the track. Take all their comments with a big block of Himalayan sea salt.
    EFoxwell, m13s, JAustin and 6 others like this.
    09 TG Sedan A6, 2.55/9.17, ARH 1 7/8, LT1Z 2.5, GMPP CNC LS3, Jokerz chaos 102, NW102, Trunk tank/ EMP, C&R HX, Airaid, DSX pump and flex sensor, ID1050x’s. 1.42, [email protected]

Justin's trail of blown motors didnt lead to the finish line today?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by random84 View Post
    Justin's trail of blown motors didnt lead to the finish line today?

Finish line of a dragstrip? Not really. More like a Mortal Kombat “Finish”.
    JAustin, subaru335i and Teh V like this.
    09 TG Sedan A6, 2.55/9.17, ARH 1 7/8, LT1Z 2.5, GMPP CNC LS3, Jokerz chaos 102, NW102, Trunk tank/ EMP, C&R HX, Airaid, DSX pump and flex sensor, ID1050x’s. 1.42, [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMike View Post
    Like I said in FB messenger. You are doing well to break into the 9's for your conditions. After spending the weekend at LS fest, I got a better appreciation of the reality of what most CTSV's run. If you pay attention to facebook, every SBE car run's 9's all the time. The truth is the ones that run fast are light and they only do it in fantastic DA weather. I had the fastest average for an LSA blown CTSV in true street with what would be considered a "slow" 10.34 average. There was one V that went faster and it had twin turbo's and went home hurt from my understanding.

When the cars with owners that talk a big game on the internet run at the same track and conditions you run in, they are much less impressive than they appear online. JW and his "star cars" were both major flops on the track. Take all their comments with a big block of Himalayan sea salt.
    You mean that grinding off the ribs inside the stock supercharger lid isn't all I need to run 9s?

And stock bottom ends don't hold up to the "4DHP club"??? But Justin sold so much merch! What am I supposed to do with my stickers, hoodies, hats, and t shirts now?
    https://4dhpclub.com/
    2012 CTS-V Sedan 6MT - Triple black - 2.5" upper pulley, Magnaflow exhaust, Airaid Intake, Fluidyne HX

2014 Porsche 911 PDK - Dark Blue Metallic over 2 tone black/tan leather

2001 Honda S2000 - Grand Prix White over Red - 9000 rpm yo!

Vendor
    Congrats to the OP

Congrats man!

I swapped to Derek Dunbar after some crappy results from a bigger local shop and it's been night and day.
    2012 CTS-V
    DDTech Tuned
    2.55/9.84 • BTR3 Torque Cam • ID1050X's
    New Era 4.5" • DSX Aux Kit & Flex Fuel • TSP 2" headers
    -12AN ZL1 Lid • Vadder Dual HX • Stewart EMP • PNR Trunk Tank

Congrats! You give me motivation to lean my shit out. I average .75L and have been wanting to get that average more towards .78l. I have to remind myself, this isn't the stock short block anymore and she can take the heat, lol.

Again, congrats!

On a side note: I commented on a FB post on a guy wanting to TT his stock short block. I said to take it easy on the boost if he wanted to get time out of his engine....Justin said he made 1200HP on his stock short block, but failed to mention it exploded.
    2014 Sedan - Dart SHP 427 - Manley Pro I-Beam Rods - Callies CCW Crank - Diamond Pistons - 10.1:1 CR - FED LSA CNC heads - YT 1:7 RR - 11/32 7.320 PRs - 2.18/1.60 Stainless Valves, 284cc Intake Runner, 93cc Exhaust Runner - TMS Custom Cam, 233/249, .630/.600, 120+4 LSA - E-85 - DSX Aux - ID1300 - WX HX - EMP - 5G Trunk Tank - 1" Lines - Reinforced CTS-V Brick - 2.5/9.5 SC Pulleys - Johnson 2110 Lifters - Ported Snout - 102MM TB - 4.5" Dynospeed Intake, W/Green Filter - Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can - SW 2” Headers - Borla mufflers - Tuned by Pat G.

Always that caveat of making big power: how long will it last?

Quote Originally Posted by JAustin View Post
    Congrats! You give me motivation to lean my shit out. I average .75L and have been wanting to get that average more towards .78l. I have to remind myself, this isn't the stock short block anymore and she can take the heat, lol.

Again, congrats!

On a side note: I commented on a FB post on a guy wanting to TT his stock short block. I said to take it easy on the boost if he wanted to get time out of his engine....Justin said he made 1200HP on his stock short block, but failed to mention it exploded.
    Pretty sure Justin racked up plenty of street miles and something like 150+ passes prior to the failure. Also believe he blamed the failure on something he overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by JAustin View Post
    JAustin likes this.

Congrats to the OP.

Stupid question - who is JW?

we are coming up on glory run season, mineshaft air and ragged tunes with a "if it dies it dies" mentality
    stripping everything out of the car, running small rear brake conversions, not true hop in family were going to dennys for breakfast cars

makes things interesting though
    random84 likes this.

2014 Phantom Grey sedan lots of mods

Quote Originally Posted by random84 View Post
    Always that caveat of making big power: how long will it last?

I tried telling the wife better to upgrade now and recoup some money from my stock block. But hey, I'm getting my LSX block one way or another.

subaru335i and random84 like this.
    2012 CTS-V
    DDTech Tuned
    2.55/9.84 • BTR3 Torque Cam • ID1050X's
    New Era 4.5" • DSX Aux Kit & Flex Fuel • TSP 2" headers
    -12AN ZL1 Lid • Vadder Dual HX • Stewart EMP • PNR Trunk Tank

Quote Originally Posted by cav454 View Post
    Pretty sure Justin racked up plenty of street miles and something like 150+ passes prior to the failure. Also believe he blamed the failure on something he overlooked.
    He blamed it on running WOT in 5th gear during a beefy grudge race. The video is on IG streetcarvideo page.

Congrats to the OP. Im sure thats a huge monkey off your back now! cheers to only getting faster!
    2009 CTSV Sedan CRT
    Yup, im about that Sedan Life now
    2.4/8.6, Pat G stg 3 cam, Greg Good ported heads, Ported blower/snout, 102mm TB,SW Full Exhaust, ID 1300s, ZL1 lid, Squash fuel system w/ Flex, AirAid w/ Green filter, and some cooling mods.

2012 CTSV Coupe A6 RIP thanks to Hurricane Harvey
    SW full exhaust, 2.5/9.5, LT1Z 2.5, Greg Good Ported Heads, Ported Blower/Snout, ID1300s, Squash Fuel System, Flex Fuel, AI interchiller, ZL1 lid, Airaid CAI, Ported LS7 TB

Quote Originally Posted by RobF300 View Post
    we are coming up on glory run season, mineshaft air and ragged tunes with a "if it dies it dies" mentality.
    That's the mentality BEFORE it pops. Once it lets go, the blame game begins.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF300 View Post
    we are coming up on glory run season, mineshaft air and ragged tunes with a "if it dies it dies" mentality
    stripping everything out of the car, running small rear brake conversions, not true hop in family were going to dennys for breakfast cars

makes things interesting though
    I went to a shoot out last weekend and won, and ended up running a 9.86 full interior, half a tank of gas, 20" front tires and the same tune. Was later in the day so the cool air helped, but I think I could beat that 9.7 with street car trim if the air around here was better. Sadly its cooling down this week and a chance of snow thursday and friday .... fack
    zeel likes this.
    Forged short block - Wcch heads -Jokers Chaos ported blower - gp tuning 2.5 cam and goodies - ARH Headers - 2.45/9.17 - DSX Aux fuel system - DSM filter - MM CC - PatG tuned.
    Best 1/4 mile 1.55 60f [email protected] Has more in it

Sponsored Links