Autonomous driving: Yes or No + New CARiD Article
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nsaness

Thread: Autonomous driving: Yes or No + New CARiD Article

  1. #1
    Supporting Vendor
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    18

    Autonomous driving: Yes or No + New CARiD Article

    We surveyed 1,034 individuals to find out what do they know about the autonomous vehicles and how they feel about this idea. Read the full article to find out the results!

    Autonomous Driving Survey Results - CARiD.com Infographic



    Autonomous driving is one of the hottest topics all over the world these days, as today it went into “definitely possible” phase. With such a high level of innovation we see today now it is undeniable that the next big thing we'll see will be self-driving cars around. Experts state that these vehicles will be smarter, safer and more capable — they are aimed to enhance safety and make driving more comfortable, decrease congestion, reduce emissions, provide more efficient parking and lower transportation costs for everyone.

    When this rapidly advancing technology will get to its final point, the 5th level of autonomous driving, this process won't require human attention at all — there will be no need for pedals, brakes, or a steering wheel, as the autonomous vehicle system controls all critical tasks, monitoring of the environment and identification of any driving conditions. This technology hasn't been developed and tested yet, but sooner or later this moment will come. As an e-retailer of automotive products we're also involved in it and couldn't stay away from this question.

    Now we'd like to hear your opinion — share your thoughts in the comments below.
    Last edited by carid; 04-27-2018 at 06:49 AM.

    CADILLAC CTS http://www.carid.com/cadillac-cts-accessories/

    Call Toll Free: 800.505.3274 | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

  2. #2
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Boca Raton Florida
    Posts
    283
    The key is going to be cars that communicate with each other. That's going to take a long time until all non communicating cars are off the roads. There are also many, many people that enjoy driving. Perhaps there will be special roadways for fully autonomous cars in some lanes and cars with drivers in others. Once we have level 5, fully autonomous cars, what will happen to car ownership? Would anyone need to own a car or just tap the app on your watch and have a car called to your location, set with your radio, temp, seating positions and take you to your destination.

  3. #3
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,698
    No.

    I would probably admit though that even though its a scary though, the self driving cars would probably get into less accidents. I could see this catching on for mass transit, maybe shipping trucks. Farming equipment is almost there already.

    In either case, no way people give up the desire to drive, or the love of cars. Once they start driving themselves, who cares what they look like, and who cares if they all look the same. Control over healthcare, control on transportation, control of the internet and all communication system. Fuck no. Who wants to live in that 1984, socialist, police state world?
    Currently slumming it in an a 2012 Panamera Turbo S and waiting for the CT6-V??

    2014 Audi RS7 (sold)
    2011 CTS-V Coupe -WeaponX carbon fiber trim. (sold)
    Originally Posted by WD2009CTSV
    1/2 tenth on the big end and a little more weight in the pocket. And that's like a sore dick, you just can't beat it!

  4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,714
    Quote Originally Posted by RaVeNous View Post
    No.

    I would probably admit though that even though its a scary though, the self driving cars would probably get into less accidents. I could see this catching on for mass transit, maybe shipping trucks. Farming equipment is almost there already.

    In either case, no way people give up the desire to drive, or the love of cars. Once they start driving themselves, who cares what they look like, and who cares if they all look the same. Control over healthcare, control on transportation, control of the internet and all communication system. Fuck no. Who wants to live in that 1984, socialist, police state world?
    We will only be able to slow the government from doing that. The new/next generations of people that are born are going to think about it differently "who wants to actually drive their own car?" Government and the people in it for the next several generations might possibly trend to more regulation, additionally with self driving cars. To achieve level 5 or whatever it is, there needs to be a serious movement in the infrastructure for it. Yeah, a lot of people like ourselves really like driving, but I don't see a clear black/white split that would allow both to coexist in harmony come some odd amount of years from now.
    2013 OBM M6

  6. #5
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Adult Film Set
    Posts
    17,194
    Its pretty clear the current generation of younger people have far less desire to drive themselves. Its not the source of freedom and autonomy it used to be.

    Self driving car WILL happen. Mostly because of the economics. On this forum most of us are blessed enough to be able to drive really nice cars and we can afford the fuel costs and insurance costs that come with them.

    But for many people, car ownership is a source of financial drain, of headache, and inconvenience. Once the safety of autonomous cars exceeds that of human drivers, insurance will cost a lot more if you want to take the wheel. And fleets of robotaxis will alleviate the fear of breakdowns and fear of maintenance costs that come with ownership.

    Its not the world WE can relate to. But for millions, a low fixed monthly cost base plus a per-use or per-mile charge would be huge.

    There will always be a place for premium options of one sort or another. But the idea that every household WANTS to own a car for the joy and freedom it brings I think is off base. But its not because I dont recognize that many of us - myself included - don't enjoy driving. I think it will be purely a question of economics.

    For those that think the technology is years away - I can understand that perspective. AI *will* change that dramatically however.

    I don't see connections between cars as necessary. We don't need or have it today - and no, waiving someone thru an intersection doesn't count.

    I also don't see why we would have to have ALL cars be autonomous. Almost every company today is chasing coecistence with human-driven cars. And if you can make a computer-driven car feel like just another human on the road why would it matter? Let's face it - most of us drive around oblivious anyway...if tomorrow every driver were replaced with a blow-up doll, few would actually notice!

    So brace for impact - like it or not its coming. I *do* think we might see a nice rise in dedicated racing tracks tho!
    CTS-V: Celebrating 3 generations of N.F.G.


    Because groceries deserve LS power, too!

  7. #6
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    northern NJ
    Posts
    323
    No. Wrong forum.
    Caddy5 likes this.

  8. #7
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Adult Film Set
    Posts
    17,194
    Quote Originally Posted by nsaness View Post
    Wrong forum.
    This is pretty much the most true statement that will happen in this thread.
    CTS-V: Celebrating 3 generations of N.F.G.


    Because groceries deserve LS power, too!

  9. #8
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,698
    Quote Originally Posted by TriTexan View Post
    Its pretty clear the current generation of younger people have far less desire to drive themselves. Its not the source of freedom and autonomy it used to be.

    Self driving car WILL happen. Mostly because of the economics. On this forum most of us are blessed enough to be able to drive really nice cars and we can afford the fuel costs and insurance costs that come with them.

    But for many people, car ownership is a source of financial drain, of headache, and inconvenience. Once the safety of autonomous cars exceeds that of human drivers, insurance will cost a lot more if you want to take the wheel. And fleets of robotaxis will alleviate the fear of breakdowns and fear of maintenance costs that come with ownership.

    Its not the world WE can relate to. But for millions, a low fixed monthly cost base plus a per-use or per-mile charge would be huge.

    There will always be a place for premium options of one sort or another. But the idea that every household WANTS to own a car for the joy and freedom it brings I think is off base. But its not because I dont recognize that many of us - myself included - don't enjoy driving. I think it will be purely a question of economics.

    For those that think the technology is years away - I can understand that perspective. AI *will* change that dramatically however.

    I don't see connections between cars as necessary. We don't need or have it today - and no, waiving someone thru an intersection doesn't count.

    I also don't see why we would have to have ALL cars be autonomous. Almost every company today is chasing coecistence with human-driven cars. And if you can make a computer-driven car feel like just another human on the road why would it matter? Let's face it - most of us drive around oblivious anyway...if tomorrow every driver were replaced with a blow-up doll, few would actually notice!

    So brace for impact - like it or not its coming. I *do* think we might see a nice rise in dedicated racing tracks tho!

    I think safety standards already exceed that of a human driver. No texting, drinking and being stupid. Its just scary when the robot car has an accident and all the snowflakes go rabid. Its just like everything else. That doesn't make me any more ok with it!

    Absolutely the next generations of people are more open to it. Just like they are more open to socialism, communism, no guns, police states, computer chips in your arms, and cameras everywhere, all for the children. I'm glad I'll be long dead by then.

    Its an interesting conversation to think about the possibility of self-driving cars, and vintage self-driving cars on the road together. I guess my first thought would be, that by the time people have fully embraced AI driving us to work, aren't the holdouts going to be looked at as putting all the other self-driving cars at risk? Imagine the extra insurance, taxes, fees for using gas (assuming all cars are basically electric at some point) and social ridicule that would be put on the monsters who still want their muscle car. This is how the next generation thinks - if you're not with "us" you're scum. ...."resistance is futile".... Ick, I just puked in my mouth.
    Currently slumming it in an a 2012 Panamera Turbo S and waiting for the CT6-V??

    2014 Audi RS7 (sold)
    2011 CTS-V Coupe -WeaponX carbon fiber trim. (sold)
    Originally Posted by WD2009CTSV
    1/2 tenth on the big end and a little more weight in the pocket. And that's like a sore dick, you just can't beat it!


 

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Back to top