Wandering or Unstable feeling during WOT at high speeds.
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Wandering or Unstable feeling during WOT at high speeds.

Was recently speaking with two members here on the forums about the car not feeling safe upon wot at high speeds. My car almost feels as its floating and wandering to the left. Didnít feel as secure as I hoped a 100k CTSV would feel. Yes I have added about 250whp to the vehicle and understand that. I googled this and the ZL1ís seem to be having an issue also and no one knows exactly what is causing this just a lot of maybes. Ideas at to what is can be range from:

-Alignment
    -Suspension bushings
    -Tires
    -Road
    -Tramlining
    -Elsd

Nothing is consistent except the complaint. Iíve spoken to V2 owners and they donít feel what our platform feels so it has to be something with the platform the V3/ZL1 was built on.

Highly doubt these cars should feel like this. Iím curious to hear what you guys think or have felt.

I am on 100% stock suspension, never touched, alignment performed, front tires brand new, has done it with different rear tires. Car has 13k I doubt the bushings are bad. Itís done it on different roads. Iím looking into the elsd. And the whole idea of tramlining on a vehicle of this caliber get me angry to no end especially with the tires that a corvette has and they donít complain about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MYV likes this.

What is the mileage difference between the front and rear tires? Same type of tire? What kind?

I ordered some Toyo R888R's a while ago, had to order fronts from a different place than rears due to availability. Fronts came in first and I swapped them out before driving from Houston to Austin. That was a terrifying trip. Rears were the original Super Sports, had 10k miles, fronts were new. Every time I went WOT at freeway speeds, the car felt squirrely as hell. It was like the rears were getting loose while the fronts were grabbing hard, which may have been the case. Put the rears on as soon as they came in and the problem went away. Car is stock. Not saying it's the same issue as what you're having, just relaying my experience. Good luck.
    Lt4Mike likes this.

I have the same issue on my stock 2017 with factory tires that measure 7/32. Even if I'm at around 50% throttle and I go to pass someone it feels like the car starts to float and fight me. All the lane departure stuff is disabled.
    Last edited by itguy; 08-09-2019 at 02:25 PM.
    Lt4Mike and flntv like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

Corvettes for sure tram. Physics is physics.
    Lt4Mike and jcs003 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRU CTS-V View Post
    What is the mileage difference between the front and rear tires? Same type of tire? What kind?

I ordered some Toyo R888R's a while ago, had to order fronts from a different place than rears due to availability. Fronts came in first and I swapped them out before driving from Houston to Austin. That was a terrifying trip. Rears were the original Super Sports, had 10k miles, fronts were new. Every time I went WOT at freeway speeds, the car felt squirrely as hell. It was like the rears were getting loose while the fronts were grabbing hard, which may have been the case. Put the rears on as soon as they came in and the problem went away. Car is stock. Not saying it's the same issue as what you're having, just relaying my experience. Good luck.
    Stock Michelin Super Sports. Fronts are brand new only a couple of months. Rears are 2.5 years old with 13k. Iíll be swapping out the rears in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by itguy View Post
    I have the same issue on my stock 2017 with factory tires that measure 7/32. Even if I'm at around 50% throttle and I go to pass someone it feels like the car starts to float and fight me. All the lane departure stuff is disabled.
    Thatís sucks. Shouldnít be this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Unavowed View Post
    Corvettes for sure tram. Physics is physics.
    I drove my uncles 19 ZR1 and it was the most stable car Iíve ever felt at 150mph. Rock solid and no wandering at all. Manual and I only had one hand on the wheel. My V requires both hands. I wanted to throw my V in the trash, but then I remembered I canít afford a ZR1

boosctsv and MYV like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt4Mike View Post
    I drove my uncles 19 ZR1 and it was the most stable car I’ve ever felt at 150mph. Rock solid and no wandering at all. Manual and I only had one hand on the wheel. My V requires both hands. I wanted to throw my V in the trash, but then I remembered I can’t afford a ZR1

My 2001 C5 trammed bad, even with the Baer bump steer kit on it. Wide tires up front do what they do.
    Lt4Mike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Unavowed View Post
    My 2001 C5 trammed bad, even with the Baer bump steer kit on it. Wide tires up front do what they do.
    That sucks. I heard from a member here that skinnies make it better but itís still bad.

My car has 7k miles and has felt horrible from day 1 with the wandering issue. Stock tires from factory are like brand new. Car has been to 3 or 4 shops getting alignment and every time they say its spot on.

If I switch to my drag wheels it does get a little better but not enough to make you feel safe. Car is super scary at the track. Like struggling to keep in lane. I'm doing coil overs now to try and see if that changes anything and then a true 17" or 18" skinny instead of the Weld 20's up front.

I've had other people make an attempt down the track and they let out half track and come back and say they will never drive it again.
    Lt4Mike and MYV like this.

Fuck, this isn’t what I like to hear! Aren’t you running 140+ in the quarter flnt? That would be scary! I wonder if that Procharged V has the same problem, he’s running in the 8’s I think...
    Lt4Mike likes this.
    2010 WD A6 Best ET: [email protected], 1.61 60', 2800' DA

Stage 1
    4.5" G-force intake w/ green filter, LS7 Mamo TB, Formato ported snout/blower, 850cc injectors, 2.4 pulley, DSteck flex fuel, Accell ceramic wires, Br7ef, Kooks headers and x-pipe w/ 3" Magnaflow resonators, Irish ZL1 lid, TA HX, Norcal box, LPE pump, SMC catch cans, 17"welds w/ 295's, 18" welds w/185's, gorilla lugs, Hp tuners Pro, AFR500 wideband

Been up to 160 and solid as a rock. I also have it aligned every 6 months.

These things require a four wheel alignment and it is ALWAYS off, if you drive anywhere with ANY type of shitty roads it is likely your cause. They don't hold an alignment well and can get knocked off easy.

It would be the first thing I would check.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt4Mike View Post
    Was recently speaking with two members here on the forums about the car not feeling safe upon wot at high speeds. My car almost feels as its floating and wandering to the left. Didn’t feel as secure as I hoped a 100k CTSV would feel. Yes I have added about 250whp to the vehicle and understand that. I googled this and the ZL1’s seem to be having an issue also and no one knows exactly what is causing this just a lot of maybes. Ideas at to what is can be range from:

-Alignment
    -Suspension bushings
    -Tires
    -Road
    -Tramlining
    -Elsd

Nothing is consistent except the complaint. I’ve spoken to V2 owners and they don’t feel what our platform feels so it has to be something with the platform the V3/ZL1 was built on.

Highly doubt these cars should feel like this. I’m curious to hear what you guys think or have felt.

I am on 100% stock suspension, never touched, alignment performed, front tires brand new, has done it with different rear tires. Car has 13k I doubt the bushings are bad. It’s done it on different roads. I’m looking into the elsd. And the whole idea of tramlining on a vehicle of this caliber get me angry to no end especially with the tires that a corvette has and they don’t complain about this.

Also, what mods have you done to gain 250?
    Lt4Mike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by V-erocious View Post
    Also, what mods have you done to gain 250?
    226whp but I rounded up .

Intake, Longtubes, Exhaust, 10Ē Lower, Camshaft, e85, Meth, Low side Fuel Kit, New style blower lid and Vengeance Racing Tune. Thinknk thatís everything. Dynod 550/550 stock and after 776/796.

MYV likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by V-erocious View Post
    Been up to 160 and solid as a rock. I also have it aligned every 6 months.

These things require a four wheel alignment and it is ALWAYS off, if you drive anywhere with ANY type of shitty roads it is likely your cause. They don't hold an alignment well and can get knocked off easy.

It would be the first thing I would check.
    Also alignment was performed at a very reputable alignment shop in Miami, Fl and not much of a difference. I should feel secure and I donít

I have noticed the same issue when I've run my car at the track. The car seems to drift around making you very focused with both hands on the steering wheel. Car is all stock except when I have run 17" Welds with Mickey ET streets. Car traps between 119 and 121 depending mainly on weather. It almost gets to the point where you think you might lose it. Rear tire swap does not change the issue. Glad to see someone else has brought this up.

This doesn't seem like a problem that you could go to the dealer for under warranty but maybe I am wrong...
    Lt4Mike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zxfan View Post
    I have noticed the same issue when I've run my car at the track. The car seems to drift around making you very focused with both hands on the steering wheel. Car is all stock except when I have run 17" Welds with Mickey ET streets. Car traps between 119 and 121 depending mainly on weather. It almost gets to the point where you think you might lose it. Rear tire swap does not change the issue. Glad to see someone else has brought this up.

This doesn't seem like a problem that you could go to the dealer for under warranty but maybe I am wrong...
    Being a GM technician, Iíd have to say going to the dealer would be a no go. Due to the fact that I canít get on the highway and go 120 mph to duplicate the concern. Some way we need to get to the bottom of this or Iíll just sell the car. I want to enjoy my car not be scared to race it.

flntv likes this.

I'm about 554hp over stock but I personally haven't driven it yet. But when car was 750hp it was scary running 10.25.

When car was stock I could feel it "floating" over 100. Even though they are modded they shouldn't feel like that.

Quote Originally Posted by pepn3385 View Post
    Fuck, this isn’t what I like to hear! Aren’t you running 140+ in the quarter flnt? That would be scary! I wonder if that Procharged V has the same problem, he’s running in the 8’s I think...
    It was real close to that in the 1/4.

You guys have not driven many shit boxes or fourth gen f bodies at high speed, and it shows. My c7z was a fucking hand full at 150 plus mph, but we have shit roads around here. The Cadillac is fairly smooth on a hard pull, but still keep both hands on the steering wheel.
    RedRocket likes this.

I’m on a road trip in Colorado and I had several triple digit full throttle passes today that I thought were going to send me off the mountain. It almost felt like the rear end was getting pushed around by the ruts in the pavement a couple times and then a couple times it felt like the rear cradle was twisting like the old Gen5 Camaro’s would under full throttle. Everytime the car came back in line without issue but still made my ass pucker a bit.
    Lt4Mike, flntv and MYV like this.
    2018 V3 Black, carbon slick top
    2015 Z06 A8 3LZ convertible
    Sold - '11 V sedan black raven, auto, stock
    Sold -'12 V Coupe Black Raven 6Auto 613/580 on 91
    2.55 upper, LS3 TB
    LPE GT9 cam
    LPE stage 2 ported heads
    Kooks headers to stock mufflers
    ADM HX
    660/600 on 100octane

Had / have same issue. Michelin PS4S in 305 in the rear made this somewhat better. Stock tires can't handle this car.
    Lt4Mike likes this.
    2019 CT6-V - On Order
    2017 CTS-V
    2016 P90D

Quote Originally Posted by rjmartin1983 View Post
    You guys have not driven many shit boxes or fourth gen f bodies at high speed, and it shows. My c7z was a fucking hand full at 150 plus mph, but we have shit roads around here. The Cadillac is fairly smooth on a hard pull, but still keep both hands on the steering wheel.
    You cant compare a shitbox or F bodies to these cars. These are close to 100k cars and way more technology now.
    Lt4Mike likes this.

I have my thoughts that it may have something to do with the bushings for the rear end mounts and possibly a solid bushing would help. Or possible the ELsd trying to transfer torque form one wheel to the other causing the push from side to side.
    Lt4Mike and flntv like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonabite View Post
    I have my thoughts that it may have something to do with the bushings for the rear end mounts and possibly a solid bushing would help. Or possible the ELsd trying to transfer torque form one wheel to the other causing the push from side to side.
    I'd try bushing but I'm doing too many things at once to narrow it down exactly. I'll try that next
    Lt4Mike likes this.

The Pontiac G8 GT had an issue where the entire rear suspension cradle would shift and move due to its bushings. Around harder turns you would feel the rear end two step or move by itself and then catch. But I've gone 155+ in that car a couple times and I don't remember it feeling unstable at that speed except it looked like the hood was going to fly off. But I also think my larger, staggered non-OE tires were on the car.

Guys would replace the rear cradle bushings with poly I believe to cure the two step problem. I think one company even made a brace to tie that cradle to the rest of the frame to stop it from shifting around.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Lt4Mike likes this.
    2012 MB CLS550 4M and Trolling V's for a Long Time
    1987 Grand National - Should see mid-10s this Fall

I have the same issue (car pulls hard to the left at WOT) in my 2016. I am wondering if it is the shocks as it seems as if the suspension unloads under hard throttle. My V2 did this when the shocks were worn which is why I am thinking it could be the shocks.

My 2016 also has new Michelin PS4 tires on it with no abnormal misalignment wear.

Does anyone know if there is a way to diagnose defective shocks other than looking to see if they are leaking oil?
    Lt4Mike likes this.

Every time I get close to convincing myself to get into a Gen 3, something like this pops up. This sucks.
    Lt4Mike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsvken View Post
    I have the same issue (car pulls hard to the left at WOT) in my 2016. I am wondering if it is the shocks as it seems as if the suspension unloads under hard throttle. My V2 did this when the shocks were worn which is why I am thinking it could be the shocks.

My 2016 also has new Michelin PS4 tires on it with no abnormal misalignment wear.

Does anyone know if there is a way to diagnose defective shocks other than looking to see if they are leaking oil?
    My car does the exact same. Iím guessing if you feel the car is bouncy or if you remove them from the vehicle and manually push on them.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTXV View Post
    Every time I get close to convincing myself to get into a Gen 3, something like this pops up. This sucks.
    Yeah def sucks. I love the car but this has to be fixed.

MYV likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links