(re)Build/Upgrade (with eye towards twins)
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: (re)Build/Upgrade (with eye towards twins)

(re)Build/Upgrade (with eye towards twins)

Greetings all, thank you for reading my (re)build thread. I feel this build needs a bit of context and backstory, so let me roll back to August 8, 2017. For my upcoming birthday, I decided to give myself a nice gift; heads/cam (Frankenstein Dynamics/BTR-stage3), new clutch (Monster), short throw shifter (Creative Steel), upgraded heat exchanger (Weapon-X), new hood (also Weapon-X), and paint correction/reblack out all the chrome. I had previously tested out the plasti dip method, and loved the look, but ultimately that was a temporary test to see if I liked the look...so time to make it permanent. I digress...I get all of that work performed (save and except the hood, which did not arrive until November), and pick the car up from the shop October 4, 2017. Ended up making right around 650rwhp, and I can't recall the torque at this point, but it was in the 590 range. Sounded amazing, was fantastic to drive. For 6 days. On October 11, my car was stolen, and recovered the next day, completely stripped...engine/transmission, exhaust, hood, front end w/headlights, fenders, side skirts, and the Recaro front seats.

Given that I had one of the few CTS-Vs in Black Diamond, and manual, and Recaros, without a sunroof...and given that I couldn't find that exact replacement; and given that I bought the car new with 4 miles on it...I decided to retain the car, and rebuild it. So my ultimate plan, is to have a twin turbo setup, so I went the extra mile and had the guys at Don Hardy Racing build an LSA, setup for a twin turbo application; and while they were at it...I went ahead and had them powdercoat/paint the entire thing black. Looks freaking amazing.

Anyhow, my poor car sat in the back lot of the local Cadillac shop from October 31st (yes, it took THAT long to get my car back from the insurance company); and I must say I am eternally grateful for those guys allowing me to keep the car back there while the guy who is building my car made room in his shop. Fast-forward to May 22, 2018, I finally get my car moved from the Cadillac shop to the hot rod shop where it will leave as a driving car. Fast-forward again to June 30, I purchase a donor CTS-V, which I am told has 95% of the remaining parts we need to complete my build. To this point, I have purchased a turnkey engine; an OEM TR6060; full exhaust system (Kooks 2" headers/Magnaflow), which I have fully blacked out w/VHT paint; a rebuilt clutch (will upgrade to Monster stage 2 when I put the twins on); new throttle pedal assembly (previous was stolen along with the engine); another Creative Steel short throw shifter; and an OEM shift knob and boot (again, originals were stolen). I sent off my headlights to Joe at Big Tundra for the demon eye treatment, and so far they're looking amazing. I have additionally acquired MY original Recaro seats back. Yes, that is correct, the exact seats that were stolen out of my car, I HAD TO BUY BACK. Maybe I'll start another thread with how ridiculous it is to have your car stolen, and have the police not be able to help...I know they're understaffed and overworked, so I am trying not to be frustrated. Again, I digress...

Fast-forward again to July 30, my car is finally in the shop being actively worked on; with the body panels being hung and all put together, and adding parts to the list of what I need to purchase, as we learn that not all of the parts from the donor can be used, as first thought. Needless to say, it's been an expensive week, and next week looks as though it will be more of the same...but it may just be another month or 6 weeks before I have my car back. Just in time for my birthday, so it all comes full circle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (re)Build/Upgrade (with eye towards twins)-20180802_132845.jpg   (re)Build/Upgrade (with eye towards twins)-20171015_015009.jpg   (re)Build/Upgrade (with eye towards twins)-20171019_120331.jpg   (re)Build/Upgrade (with eye towards twins)-attach46748_20180320_190541.jpg   (re)Build/Upgrade (with eye towards twins)-attach50589_20180409_170500.jpg  

(re)Build/Upgrade (with eye towards twins)-20180727_121208.jpg   (re)Build/Upgrade (with eye towards twins)-20180727_121948.jpg   (re)Build/Upgrade (with eye towards twins)-20180727_123705.jpg   (re)Build/Upgrade (with eye towards twins)-attach93091_20180731_173354.jpg   (re)Build/Upgrade (with eye towards twins)-20180419_123758.jpg  

Last edited by imthatguy09; 08-07-2018 at 12:34 PM. Reason: add pictures
    random84, TY2185, NicsCTSV and 1 others like this.

Too long. Didnt read.

Just fucking with you man. That's such a wild story and I still dont know how you " bought your own fucking seats" back without going Scorched Earth on some motherfuckers.

Looking forward to the reunion. You, Sir... are a patient man!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That engine looks bad ass in black.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by random84 View Post
    Too long. Didnt read.

Just fucking with you man. That's such a wild story and I still dont know how you " bought your own fucking seats" back without going Scorched Earth on some motherfuckers.

Looking forward to the reunion. You, Sir... are a patient man!

Man, it has certainly been a crazy, wild ride...and honestly my patience with everything is starting to wear really thin. Every time I turn to enter a long, empty, wide open on ramp...I just say to myself "FUCK! I want to drive my damn car!" Haha. As soon as the car is ready to go, I'm taking it on a road trip from here to Myrtle Beach, with a slight detour through Deals Gap. I just keep thinking to myself...at the end of the day, I'm going to have my car back, but with 0 miles on the drivetrain. It's going to sound badass, and sure...it'll be a little slower than when it was stolen; but not for long.

If you really knew me....you'd know that I am not the most patient of people; but miraculously this last year, my capacity for patience has increased exponentially. Otherwise...I'd probably be in jail or worse. Haha.
    random84 and NicsCTSV like this.
    “Zombie V” - 2012 V2 M6, Black Diamond TriCoat, Recaros & NO sunroof (rebuild complete; NA now, boost coming soon)

Quote Originally Posted by cav454 View Post
    That engine looks bad ass in black.
    No doubt, the guys at DHR build a helluva motor. Just have to replace that damn P/S reservoir w/the stock to keep the blacked out theme going. Will probably either wrap the strut tower brace w/CF or shoot it black as well. I'm in the process of working up a 'Zombie V' logo to use, so I may incorporate that into the tower brace in red. Eventually, I will have head covers built w/the same logo in them. All that aside....I can't wait to hear the damn thing!
    “Zombie V” - 2012 V2 M6, Black Diamond TriCoat, Recaros & NO sunroof (rebuild complete; NA now, boost coming soon)

Don’t know about Usa. But here in Australia they sell black metal reservoirs for the power steering. Would look at home on your bay.

Quote Originally Posted by cav454 View Post
    Don’t know about Usa. But here in Australia they sell black metal reservoirs for the power steering. Would look at home on your bay.
    My OEM is black.

My OEM is black.

Yeah, that's why I just got an OEM replacement.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My OEM is black.

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy09 View Post
    Yeah, that's why I just got an OEM replacement.

Yeah that will work.
    imthatguy09 likes this.

Question for all M6 V owners and/or 2012 model year V owners. One of the wire bundles that was clipped, we cannot figure out its purpose. In a group of 3 bundles, one going to the wiper motor, the other going to the engine, there was a 3rd bundle that got clipped off; and so far, the other 2 automatic CTS-Vs we've looked at do not have the 3rd bundle in the group. Both of those other Vs were A6, which leads me to believe that it may be an M6 specific option; or potentially a 2012 specific wire routing design, as it seems that many things on these cars are model year or even VIN specific. Anyhow, see below, and let me know if you have any ideas (driver side, above the steering column):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (re)Build/Upgrade (with eye towards twins)-unknown-bundle.jpg  

That looks like the "brake fluid sensor" connector for the brake master cylinder to tell you if fluid is low. I left mine unhooked on accident and never had a CEL.

It clips in to the bottom of the brake master cylinder and is easy to not seat correctly if you have fat fingers like me!

That looks like the "brake fluid sensor" connector for the brake master cylinder to tell you if fluid is low. I left mine unhooked on accident and never had a CEL.

It clips in to the bottom of the brake master cylinder and is easy to not seat correctly if you have fat fingers like me!
    Lol! I'll pass the word along. Hopefully that's it. Although, the motor will be going in soon, and getting wired; so if nothing else, we'll figure it out at that time. Can't wait to post pics of that gorgeous motor actually in the engine bay.
    random84 likes this.

Update:

Headlights are finished. See below for before/after. I cannot overstate how good the guys are over at Big Tundra, especially Joe Horton. I found him through this forum, and saw many examples he put together; and I am glad I chose him to do the work. Given my 'Zombie V' theme, the demon eye effect plus plasma rings should scream Zombie. Additional lighting effects aside, just look at the difference of the interior. I went paint match black diamond for all of the chrome and side marker, with smoked DRLs; and red painted LED pipes (with upgraded LED). Can't wait to post pictures of them on the car. I'm sure if you mention you saw my post when you contact Joe for any work, he'll make sure to give you a good deal, and get the job done quickly and to the highest standard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (re)Build/Upgrade (with eye towards twins)-before-after.jpg  

From a fellow DFW local, I look forward to seeing the ZomVie on the road when its done.
    BoostedLS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbs3408 View Post
    From a fellow DFW local, I look forward to seeing the ZomVie on the road when its done.
    Well, if you see me, you'll know it!

random84 likes this.

Nice!! Mine has a big "Dadillac" sticker on the back window.

Nice!! Mine has a big "Dadillac" sticker on the back window.
    Hahaha that's awesome! I'll keep an eye out while I'm around town. Oh, make sure you don't leave your car out of the garage at night. It's not safe around here for our cars!

No joke! I would occasionally leave it in the driveway but after hearing about all the thefts I make sure it goes in the garage every night.

I wonder if the theives may have worked at the shop that did the work since it was so close to the date of theft? Also they must have had a whole lot of mechanic experience to strip everything out within 1 night.

How was the car stolen btw trailor??
    *Totaled * 2009 Thunder gray 6MT with Borla Catback, Electric cutouts, Airaid CAI with cold air mod, 2.5 pulley, 1000cc FIC injectors, BR7ef NGK plugs, flex fuel kit, reinforced SC brick, 1.8 gallon expansion tank, Varimax IC pump, thermal reduction plates, Moroso catch can, 628 rwhp on e60

Quote Originally Posted by andy13186 View Post
    I wonder if the theives may have worked at the shop that did the work since it was so close to the date of theft? Also they must have had a whole lot of mechanic experience to strip everything out within 1 night.

How was the car stolen btw trailor??
    That's what everybody thought initially, but there wasn't anything connecting that shop to my current address at that time; only the old address. Also, judging from the scene of the crime, it looked like they used a truck with a tow bar.

No joke! I would occasionally leave it in the driveway but after hearing about all the thefts I make sure it goes in the garage every night.
    Definitely. I wouldn't take any chances. Also not a bad idea to implement some active GPS tracking. That's my plan.

Headlights are in!

Wow, thats one heck of a story. Sorry to hear about all that. I'm curious to know more about how that situation went down with purchasing those seats back. Either way, glad to hear its all coming back together for you. Those headlights look great refinished like that and so does the engine. What made you want to stick with the 4 bolt style LSA over a 6 bolt LSX if you're going twin turbo?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMarketRacing View Post
    Wow, thats one heck of a story. Sorry to hear about all that. I'm curious to know more about how that situation went down with purchasing those seats back. Either way, glad to hear its all coming back together for you. Those headlights look great refinished like that and so does the engine. What made you want to stick with the 4 bolt style LSA over a 6 bolt LSX if you're going twin turbo?
    Yes, it has been a very long and interesting road, to say the least. Long story short, I saw a pair of CTS-V Recaro seats on the local Facebook marketplace; and attached to the driver's seat headrest was the little cleaning cloth that came with the car when I bought it new. As I never took it off, I felt the chances were pretty high that those were my seats...so I met the guy to buy them (for $600 nonetheless) and when he turned the driver's seat around...I saw the kick protector I'd put on that seat whenever I turned my son around in his carseat...so obviously they were mine. Guess that wasn't too short after all. Haha.

As for the LSA block selection...my engine builder felt like the LSA was a more economical selection, based on my power goals and driving style; mainly because of the piston oilers. I don't know much more about why, that's all I was told. I've been told that as built, that motor will handle a lot more than I ever plan on throwing at it.

How much did those headlights cost to get done if you don't mind putting on out on the forums.

Headlights are in!

Yes, it has been a very long and interesting road, to say the least. Long story short, I saw a pair of CTS-V Recaro seats on the local Facebook marketplace; and attached to the driver's seat headrest was the little cleaning cloth that came with the car when I bought it new. As I never took it off, I felt the chances were pretty high that those were my seats...so I met the guy to buy them (for $600 nonetheless) and when he turned the driver's seat around...I saw the kick protector I'd put on that seat whenever I turned my son around in his carseat...so obviously they were mine. Guess that wasn't too short after all. Haha.

As for the LSA block selection...my engine builder felt like the LSA was a more economical selection, based on my power goals and driving style; mainly because of the piston oilers. I don't know much more about why, that's all I was told. I've been told that as built, that motor will handle a lot more than I ever plan on throwing at it.

The LSA block "rule of thumb" is 7-800 or so at the wheels. Guys have certainly done more but the cylinder sleeves are very thin and start distorting and moving around at that level. Reinforced mains is the most important thing at higher power levels (ie not spinning the shit out of it).

Quote Originally Posted by RKT SHP View Post
    How much did those headlights cost to get done if you don't mind putting on out on the forums.
    I don't mind, I thought it was extremely reasonable. The labor ended up being $425, which included all the disassembly, painting, reassembly, etc. I paid $250 for parts, being the plasma halos, the paint, upgraded LEDs for the pipes, and demon eye projectors. In my case, my lenses were shot (donor car had seen a rough life) so I had to buy aftermarket headlights to harvest the lenses, which was another $250. Then insured shipping both ways was about $225. Your situation may be different than mine, depending on shipping, and what you want to do. Joe was extremely quick, did a hell of a job, and kept me informed, educated and updated throughout. Money well spent, these things are gorgeous. Pictures do not capture how amazing they look.

The LSA block "rule of thumb" is 7-800 or so at the wheels. Guys have certainly done more but the cylinder sleeves are very thin and start distorting and moving around at that level. Reinforced mains is the most important thing at higher power levels (ie not spinning the shit out of it).

Indeed, and given my desire to drive the majority of the time at 800-850whp, with the occasional boost up to 950-1000...I think that motor will last me as long as I need it to. Plus, I just don't drive crazy very often, and never drag it, so it didn't make sense for me to build something capable of 2000+hp. I just like the occasional second through third highway pulls, and running through the gears. I chose the twins route because I love the sound of turbos spooling up. Everybody can judge all they want, I'm fine with it. Lol.

random84 likes this.

I'm looking forward to twins down the road - I'd just like to see a few detailed builds come to fruition first. I'm totally dumb to the concept and dont want to get ass-deep into it without understanding the process first.

I was hoping to see more from all the Huron Speed builds but they all seem to be "look! Boxes of parts! " one day and then, a few months later someone posts an idle video and promises to come back with a dyno result later.

I'm looking forward to twins down the road - I'd just like to see a few detailed builds come to fruition first. I'm totally dumb to the concept and dont want to get ass-deep into it without understanding the process first.

I was hoping to see more from all the Huron Speed builds but they all seem to be "look! Boxes of parts! " one day and then, a few months later someone posts an idle video and promises to come back with a dyno result later.

I can completely understand that. My plan is actually to let a guy I know design and build the system specific to my car. A good friend of mine works with/is close friends with the owner of Dedicated Motorsports (a local Texas performance shop), and I've seen his work, and he seems to have a really good understanding of how to best build the system with optimal efficiency in mind...having turbos built to spec, etc. That's who I want building my turbo setup. Not really looking for an "off the rack" system...not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm sure those kits work great.

random84 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links