Pump Gas
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Like Tree17Likes
  • 3 Post By larry arizona
  • 1 Post By Blades1_99
  • 2 Post By larry arizona
  • 3 Post By ASteggall
  • 1 Post By SimplyDreamin
  • 4 Post By RocketSled
  • 1 Post By larry arizona
  • 1 Post By Karch
  • 1 Post By turbo2

Thread: Pump Gas

Pump Gas

Just wondering what you guys use and what is the best and worst out there to get. I just had a tune and my tuner asked me what type of gas I was using and where I got it from. The reason is he said he usually gets 1 more degree of timing out of my set up and he just couldn't because of the fuel. He said 1 degree of timing can be around 30 whp. The last time I got gas was half of a tank of Mobil. I usually use BP. He said Shell was one of the best to use. So I figured I'd ask all of you what you use as well as to see which are the best and worst to get.

Are you using 93 Octane ??? I try to get Sunoco 93 if possible, some Sunoco Stations have 94 but are rare, I had a 94 Pump just a couple miles from me but they closed some years ago & haven't found another one locally ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 09-05-2019 at 04:02 AM.
    2009 TGC Sedan / A6 / Bolt On's / Tuned / 640 RWHP 650 RWTQ On 93 Octane / Photo Album ... A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Super Moderator
    1 degree is not 30whp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MYV, SimplyDreamin and Karch like this.
    679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    Kooks LT w/cats stock muffs
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

Any top tier 93 octane. I use Mobil.
    - 2.38 Pulley - Solid Isolator - 100 mm - Ported Snout/TB
    - Fluidyne T-Rex HX - ZR1 Pump - 160 Stat - ID850's - NGK TR6 - Airaid
    - KPE Exhaust - Moroso Catch Can - Brembo 2-piece - GM Black Chrome Grills
    - Install/Tune by Tune Time Performance Lakewood NJ Club Member Since 10/2013

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    Are you using 93 Octane ??? I try to get Sunoco 93 if possible, some Sunoco Stations have 94 but are rare, I had a 94 Pump just a couple miles from me but they closed some years ago & haven't found another one locally ...
    Yes, I try to only use that. Also If I remember him saying the other gas he said to try to use was Sunoco.

There are a couple of Sunoco's around here with Race Gas. I was thinking about trying that out but I primarily use Shell.
    Stealth8 likes this.
    "Pearl" is a 2011, V Coupe, A6, Recaros, Skyview.

Mods: Airaid - Red filter, Side Swipe, Mamo LS7 Ported TB, ZL1 lid, Fasterproms underhood tank, BMR Catch Can, ....

jrV
    e85
    - 2011 TGC Sedan | A6 | Recaro's | Ultraview | Suede

- Mods : AIRAID | Mamo Ported TB | DSX Flex Fuel Kit/Filter/Aux Fuel Pump Kit | ZL1 Lid | Fluidyne T-Rex HX | Varimax HX pump | Kook's Headers w/green cats | B&B axleback | 2.4" upper | ID1300's | Lt1z stg 2.5 cam | Pat G Tuned
    - WTB/To-Do: Ported TFS Heads | Ported blower/snout/102mmTB | Weld RT-S S71's and DR's

Super Moderator
    With 30whp per degree of timing, E85 should net you around 240whp........lol

random84 and MYV like this.
    679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post
    1 degree is not 30whp.

This seems to be true. Depending on mods and variables seems like 1 degree makes avg around 15 whp and up. Here are a couple quotes from a couple of different people. (On my own car I've seen 1* make 15hp and I've seen 3* make 30hp....can vary quite a bit so there's no definitive answer). (I run 18* timing and 17psi with 91 octane pump gas zero issues and tuner has 100% confidence in it, cylinder head temps are a better measurement then iat2's at which to pull timing.....but with that being said I picked up 30 rwhp on a 16 to 18* jump on a mustang dyno

I have always had good luck with Chevron or Shell 93 when I do run pump, but hey E85 is pump also .
    MYV, Stealth8 and RedTXV like this.
    2013 TG Sedan

ID1050x's, 2.4 griptech/8.66 lower, GP 2.5 cam, AEM drop in pumps, custom added Walbro 450 pump, DSX flex fuel sensor, DMS Auxiliary Fuel Filter, Track Attack HX, CWA50 pump, ZL1 Lid. 90mm TB, Kooks catless headers, Airaid with green filter, Moroso catch can, AFR500v2 wideband, tuned by Pat G/Me.

2011 BDT Sedan
    ID850's, 2.4 upper, Track Attack HX, Varimax pump, ZL1 Lid, Texas Speed headers, Airaid with green filter, Moroso catch can, LPE tank, PLX wideband, tuned by Pat G.

Quote Originally Posted by ASteggall View Post
    I have always had good luck with Chevron or Shell 93 when I do run pump, but hey E85 is pump also .
    Right on ASteggall. Like I said he said Shell and Sonoco are top 2 he recommended. I'd stay away from Mobil after what happened with me before my tune.

Costco, Shell (to use Fred Meyer points), or FM if urgent.
    Stealth8 likes this.

Costco 91
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SHE'S FOR SALE: 2009 CTS-V, Airaid w/ Green, 102mm TB, milled ZL1 lid w/ ported fittings and reinforced brick, Vadder "black" Destroyer HX, Varimax pump, ID850's, 2" SW Headers, WCCH 2.5 heads, GP Tuning's "2.5" cam, Johnson 2110's, C5R chain, Straub Trunions, WCCH Ported SC w/ a 2.45, ATI pulley w/ a lingenfelter 8.6 lower, Fully forged motor with forged Callies rods and Wiseco pistons. 5K fogs, Powder coated wheels, Slotted R1 rotors, black Gorilla lugs, MT ET Street SS's, and a PAC Nav Unlock.

MYV
    Speedway here

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
    MY RESUME

2.4 Pulley, ID 1000's, LS7tb, Air-Raid
    Ethanol Addiction, B&B Test Pipes, B&B Cat-back W/2nd cats, QTP Cutouts
    Varimax Pump, Dyno-Speed Racing Hx, KB Bap
    Hx Reservoir, Vitesse Throttle Controller
    Transmission Tune

Dyno-Speed Racing & DBR Performance

The only gas you should use is Shell 93 Octane, which they named "V Power" because it's specifically formulated for our cars...
    RedTXV, random84, clark and 1 others like this.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ft24 View Post
    If he is going to jump timing to the ragged edge in your car, and you get a bad tank of gas, kiss your engine goodbye.
    If it’s a credible tuner, they will leave knock sensors at or near factory sensitivity to maintain KR protections, but the OP should know to tell his tuner that he wants to retain FULL knock related safeguards.

I fear many unknowable newbs would tell tuner...... “Give me all the horsepowers”!!!!!

Lol

There are a few tuners with massive egos that have come through this forum who put tunes on full kill and blew many a LSA engines.

nbw123 likes this.
    679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

"If it’s a credible tuner, they will leave knock sensors at or near factory sensitivity to maintain KR protections, but the OP should know to tell his tuner that he wants to retain FULL knock related safeguards."

Thanks for the above comment Larry Arizona.

I have been trying to learn about tuning and upgrades on this forum. I bought HP Tuners and am learning what channels to monitor.

Too bad there isn't a "Dumbass Moves Not To Make" thread in this forum. It needs to be right next to the "Perfect Mods" thread.

Administrator
    There are plenty of those threads. Usually the OP has left with his tail between his legs.

Here’s one:

With the A6, never let the trans shift from 6th to 3rd under full power, but itself, especially if modded.

nbw123 likes this.

I live in Phoenix. The ONLY place I can get 93 Octane is at the inside the racetrack (Sunoco). The local stations fuel comes by refinery's pipelines from TX & CA. Does anyone know if there is a gas station in metro Phoenix that has 93?

Wow-- learned something new. My other car has ~35 degrees of total timing and makes ~520 hp. That's right at about 15 hp per degree.

I like these timing alternative facts.

We’ve only got 92 here in Hawaii
    Blades1_99 likes this.
    2010 6M sedan. Ported tb, airraid intake, magnaflow exhaust, catch can. 535rwhp

Sponsored Links