In conjunction w/ an Aux kit: OEM pumps, AEM or DW300s to replace old pumps?
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Like Tree36Likes
  • 2 Post By random84
  • 1 Post By Unavowed
  • 2 Post By adam112
  • 2 Post By random84
  • 1 Post By adam112
  • 1 Post By adam112
  • 4 Post By Got Bearings?
  • 2 Post By kliped
  • 2 Post By random84
  • 2 Post By g9s8r
  • 1 Post By g9s8r
  • 3 Post By adam112
  • 1 Post By I V
  • 1 Post By adam112
  • 1 Post By adam112
  • 2 Post By Florida-Vee
  • 2 Post By Karch
  • 3 Post By adam112
  • 1 Post By I V
  • 2 Post By random84

Thread: In conjunction w/ an Aux kit: OEM pumps, AEM or DW300s to replace old pumps?

In conjunction w/ an Aux kit: OEM pumps, AEM or DW300s to replace old pumps?

I've got 80+k miles on my factory pumps and a Dsteck kit in the parts bin for my motor build, which should cover my additional needs with ethanol on the new build.

Any reason to buy the AEM or DW300's versus sticking with tried and true OEM replacement fuel pumps?

I also run stock V pumps and have the AEM's sitting on a shelf waiting to go in. I supplement with meth, but would like more pump (and injector) for future boost increases. Hoping to avoid the Fore expense and fuel scavenging issues. Curious what the peanut gallery thinks.
    MYV likes this.

I'm not sure I can even get OEM pumps without buying the whole assembly- so it might be a coin flip as I hear issues with both aftermarket options?

@lt1z

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

Not sure if you can source the Bosch OEMs seperately.

I have two sets at home

46k miles
    60k miles

AEMs from every piece of info I see (empirical) cant match the DWs for flow.

You know my opinion. Since you asked me the other day. XOXO

Quit circle jerking this.

DWs worth the money, the bad rap they got was for CELs initially. Mine have been the tits.
    g9s8r and MYV like this.
    Build Thread for the Madallac

Open and Shut - A Tranny Story (TR6060 Teardown and Rebuild)

JRi Coilovers

’09 Sedan Black on Black Recaros 6MT
    Forged HED LSA 10:1 GP 2.5 Ported LSA Heads/TVS1900 Johnson 2110s 2.70/9.55 Pulleys D3 Intake Lid Spacer SW 2”/Catless/Magnaflow Resonators/Corsa Spt DIY Flex Setup ID1300Xs DW300Cs + Walbro 297 Map Ref Aux
    Low Mount D3 HX and Pump -10 Setrab Oil Cooler Diff Cooler Lowered on JRIs Subframe Reinforcement Front and Rear D3 Sway Bars Core Shifter Mantic Twin Disc Clutch Swapped/Widened Sedan Wheels

Great. I'm not really worried about the cost, nor the actual output (since both the fuel hat and Dsteck kit will cover my target goals). It's more about long-term durability and not having to do it twice!

Can we tune out the CEL via HP Tuners now?

Quote Originally Posted by random84 View Post
    Great. I'm not really worried about the cost, nor the actual output (since both the fuel hat and Dsteck kit will cover my target goals). It's more about long-term durability and not having to do it twice!

Can we tune out the CEL via HP Tuners now?
    Can be tuned out yes. I never got it.

I also setup a 40 amp rated feed to the FPCM

Factory is 30amp and a little close with the drop ins full bore.
    MYV likes this.

JRi Coilovers

Forged HED LSA 10:1 GP 2.5 Ported LSA Heads/TVS1900 Johnson 2110s 2.70/9.55 Pulleys D3 Intake Lid Spacer SW 2”/Catless/Magnaflow Resonators/Corsa Spt DIY Flex Setup ID1300Xs DW300Cs + Walbro 297 Map Ref Aux
    Low Mount D3 HX and Pump -10 Setrab Oil Cooler Diff Cooler Lowered on JRIs Subframe Reinforcement Front and Rear D3 Sway Bars Core Shifter Mantic Twin Disc Clutch Swapped/Widened Sedan Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by adam112 View Post
    Can be tuned out yes. I never got it.

I also setup a 40 amp rated feed to the FPCM

Factory is 30amp and a little close with the drop ins full bore.
    Can I just have you do this when you visit?

Can I just have you do this when you visit?
    Sure, We'll need a beefy relay of your choosing, and some wire. And I'll have to go look at which wire is the relay trigger that has to be tapped from rear fuse block, lost my notes on that.
    Got Bearings? likes this.

JRi Coilovers

Sure, We'll need a beefy relay of your choosing, and some wire. And I'll have to go look at which wire is the relay trigger that has to be tapped from rear fuse block, lost my notes on that.
    A "How To" post with details and recommendations on relays would be awesome.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    MYV, Shockwaveaz, random84 and 1 others like this.
    2009 Black Raven CTS-V
    6M, Recaros, mostly stock...

1995 Impala SS - SOLD
    383, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by mackleit01 View Post
    When Bearings states WTF, I'm not clicking on the link.
    SoCal CTS-V Owners: Join our local Facebook group

My vote is for dw, they have been great pumps and their customer service is awesome, plus they are supposed to release an upgraded fpr valve here soon.
    MYV and adam112 like this.

I ordered the dw300c kit from 'Murica.

Already shipped so hopefully comes soon. He didn't respond to me on FB though.

I'm loving these forums. Just gotta search a little and I can usually find something to help me. I'm about to take the plunge into cutting a hole for the pump access and trying to think ahead on fuel pumps thinking, I might as well just swap pumps and hat since I am there. What do I come across? ....this thread. NICE. Here I am about to order some DW300Cs and hopefully getting their FPR thanks to this thread.
    Search DONE.
    Now just gotta befriend Adam for some info on a hat and maybe a ...ahem...cover.
    MYV and I V like this.
    Trying to live that champagne life on a beer budget

I V
    so if im reading correct, dw300 dropins and tune out via hptuners, dual pumps @ 26-28amps for 30amp stock, 40 amp just in case?

i was going to swap hat so figuring would benefit from swapping out my 80k mile stock pumps as well

Quote Originally Posted by I V View Post
    so if im reading correct, dw300 dropins and tune out via hptuners, dual pumps @ 26-28amps for 30amp stock, 40 amp just in case?

i was going to swap hat so figuring would benefit from swapping out my 80k mile stock pumps as well
    hopefully you are helping those that help support us. Just sharing... ALM Performance I just ordered my hat from him this weekend.
    Last edited by g9s8r; 10-28-2019 at 10:32 PM.
    random84 likes this.
    Trying to live that champagne life on a beer budget

Administrator
    Are those pumps actually proven to perform?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Karch View Post
    Are those pumps actually proven to perform?

Which ones big K?

DWs IMO yes...I have yet to see consistently 'equal' reviews of the AEMs. (I know ASteggall has them and they work fine for him)

Depends on your idea of 'perform'

They will support 700whp on e, bapless, with 1300s at 2k ft in the southeast.

Most jump big with a stage 2 or further and the aux makes sense. Stack them together and youre pushing 7X PSI rail pressure on any 1.9 setup.

I added them for head room when I went flex with just the 9.55 lower, and then have experience with and without aux walbro on latest build.

They have been reliable for me and I don't regret them one bit...15k miles worth of E through them.
    MYV, Unavowed and random84 like this.

JRi Coilovers

I V
    Quote Originally Posted by g9s8r View Post
    hopefully you are helping those that help support us. Just sharing... ALM Performance I just ordered my hat from him this weekend.
    haha of course, i was following production from before they went on sale and purchased from his first batch i believe

though i do need a replacement hydramat as my dog chewed the one that came with kit
    g9s8r likes this.

haha of course, i was following production from before they went on sale and purchased from his first batch i believe

though i do need a replacement hydramat as my dog chewed the one that came with kit
    Sounds like you need a new dog...
    I V likes this.

JRi Coilovers

I V
    Sounds like you need a new dog...
    haha exactly my thoughts when i found it

any tune changes needed after installing these? pulse width? i imagine you all have the DW FPR if running over 65psi?

haha exactly my thoughts when i found it

any tune changes needed after installing these? pulse width? i imagine you all have the DW FPR if running over 65psi?
    Nope on DW...factory FPR valve can only flow so much...with my pumps Im running over it.

Anytime your fuel pressure changes its a good idea to make sure tune is in line.

That said, it shouldnt change since you are running PWM system and will be commanding same pressures. Aux is what makes things interesting.

The DWs alone could only maintain 60 psi rail at the shift, on 1300s that gives me the ability to be ok, but not much head room.
    MYV likes this.

JRi Coilovers

I'm not sure I can even get OEM pumps without buying the whole assembly- so it might be a coin flip as I hear issues with both aftermarket options?

@lt1z

I have some new pumps, were only tried on a friends build (not a V). you need? Cant believe you are tapping your tank, when you could use Adams system..
    I V and MYV like this.
    Current Mods,,, Fully rebuilt stock bottom end w/upgraded TotalSeal rings, Precision 10355 oil pump, LSA WCCH Stage 2.5 heads with all supporting hardware, Lt1z 2.5 cam (love it!), johnson lifters, trunion upgrade, TM 90mm TB, ID1050x, 2.4/8.66 pulleys w/100mm idler, 2" TSP headers 3" xpipe to stock mufflers, ZL1 lid, all 3/4 & -12an lines, Underhood tank, Varimax pump, Fluidyne HX, McLeod RXT full ceramic twin disc w/steel flywheel, Creative Steel shifter and control arm bushings. 93 octane ONLY car.
    Have not made it to the track yet. Will update once I have times/numbers to post. Dyno update- 685/655 on 93, hot Fla day 90*, DA 2190.

Quote Originally Posted by Florida-Vee View Post
    I have some new pumps, were only tried on a friends build (not a V). you need? Cant believe you are tapping your tank, when you could use Adams system..
    He was kinda the reason why Level II exists..its already installed on his car brah.

JRi Coilovers

He was kinda the reason why Level II exists..its already installed on his car brah.
    Hah yea.. late to the party. was fixin to delete the post but boss called about work stuff... oops..
    Current Mods,,, Fully rebuilt stock bottom end w/upgraded TotalSeal rings, Precision 10355 oil pump, LSA WCCH Stage 2.5 heads with all supporting hardware, Lt1z 2.5 cam (love it!), johnson lifters, trunion upgrade, TM 90mm TB, ID1050x, 2.4/8.66 pulleys w/100mm idler, 2" TSP headers 3" xpipe to stock mufflers, ZL1 lid, all 3/4 & -12an lines, Underhood tank, Varimax pump, Fluidyne HX, McLeod RXT full ceramic twin disc w/steel flywheel, Creative Steel shifter and control arm bushings. 93 octane ONLY car.
    Have not made it to the track yet. Will update once I have times/numbers to post. Dyno update- 685/655 on 93, hot Fla day 90*, DA 2190.

Administrator
    Thank you for the comments.

I asked because when the DW and AEM pumps came out, there were some issues, namely the pumps didn’t seem to outperform the factory units consistently.

I had a hard time recommending people to upgrade to these pumps.

I still hesitate to install these over another option, namely an ox pump, or the aforementioned aftermarket units.

Keep in mind, -3000 dyno testing at the same horsepower level as positive 3000 DA dyno testing has a very large delta in fuel demand.

I personally believe people underestimate or perhaps don’t understand this, as we cite numbers but not conditions, let alone dyno type, transmissions, wheel and tire weights, and everything else that affects the power numbers and fuel demands, let alone lambda, fuel composition (some even forget to mention methanol injection).

I V and MYV like this.

Karch what would you recommend for intank pumps to go along with an aux setup??

CEL gave DWs a bad name...AEMs then muddied the waters with (IMO) worse performance experiences...

Drop ins wont support a cam and upper/lower on e with great DA, granted.

This entire thread is dedicated to adding them to an aux kit, FWIW.

I do agree that the thought process that these can provide as much as the aux is inaccurate, and should therefore be explained in detail to any possible buyer.

Bottom line, these get you head room and replace aging bosch pumps with moderate mods (an upper or lower), theyve been reliable for me and I dont regret them one bit. They only do so much though.
    I V, MYV and random84 like this.

JRi Coilovers

I V
    CEL gave DWs a bad name...AEMs then muddied the waters with (IMO) worse performance experiences...

Drop ins wont support a cam and upper/lower on e with great DA, granted.

This entire thread is dedicated to adding them to an aux kit, FWIW.

I do agree that the thought process that these can provide as much as the aux is inaccurate, and should therefore be explained in detail to any possible buyer.

Bottom line, these get you head room and replace aging bosch pumps with moderate mods (an upper or lower), theyve been reliable for me and I dont regret them one bit. They only do so much though.
    agreed, only reason im thinking about it is i have to replace the assy hat (which has access for aux kit in future vs tapping tank) so while im there why not put fresh pumps in to replace 80k mile OEMs while receiving small bump in performance
    MYV likes this.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by shane h View Post
    Karch what would you recommend for intank pumps to go along with an aux setup??
    I am not sure. If you are 800 or less on E, stock pumps plus the aux kit should work fine.

I just don’t know, for sure, but my comments above were from my collection of comments posted in the last few years.

Also a concern is can you get stock pumps anywhere? If your OEM pumps are still "young" I'd keep them, but 60k miles or more and I'd replace for peace of mind... which means "with what?"

Plus the infamous leaky elbow on the plastic OEM hat... makes sense to update both as these cars are generally going to be higher mileage now.

Ergo the fuel hat and DW's.

Sponsored Links