Headlight lense replace+blackout+LED bar upgrade
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By I V
  • 1 Post By I V
  • 1 Post By Skhirst2005
  • 1 Post By I V
  • 1 Post By Cityboy414
  • 1 Post By 1slogoat

Thread: Headlight lense replace+blackout+LED bar upgrade

I V

MOVE ME :) Headlight lense replace+blackout+LED bar upgrade

Ended up buying some aftermarket base model CTS headlights, pulling the lenses off and swapping onto my headlights, while it was open, also went ahead and sprayed chrome bezel and orange side marker black and lightly tinted the reflector shield for turn and DRL lights along with upgrading the LED for bar

sorry, wrong thread, move me when possible to 09+
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Headlight lense replace+blackout+LED bar upgrade-img_2071.jpg   Headlight lense replace+blackout+LED bar upgrade-img_2073.jpg   Headlight lense replace+blackout+LED bar upgrade-img_2085.jpg   Headlight lense replace+blackout+LED bar upgrade-img_2089.jpg   Headlight lense replace+blackout+LED bar upgrade-img_2080.jpg  

Headlight lense replace+blackout+LED bar upgrade-img_2091.jpg  
    Last edited by I V; 09-30-2019 at 10:11 AM.

So it looks like the swap looks like it worked.

Good for you.
    "Pearl" is a 2011, V Coupe, A6, Recaros, Skyview.

Mods: Airaid - Red filter, Side Swipe, Mamo LS7 Ported TB, ZL1 lid, Fasterproms underhood tank, BMR Catch Can, ....

Very nice job! Looks great!
    - 2.38 Pulley - Solid Isolator - 100 mm - Ported Snout/TB
    - Fluidyne T-Rex HX - ZR1 Pump - 160 Stat - ID850's - NGK TR6 - Airaid
    - Corsa Touring full exhaust - Moroso Catch Can Brembo 2-piece - GM Black Chrome Grills
    - Install/Tune by Tune Time Performance Lakewood NJ Club Member Since 10/2013

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

What did you use to get the "old" sealant off of the new lens?
    2011 Thunder Gray/Black Wagon, AT, Ultraview Roof, Suede Wheel/Shifter, Norcal LED Int lights, 3M Clear Bra, 15% Tint, BWD 20x9/20x10 Z28 Polished Rims, Airaid-Green Filter, GForce Ported Snout/ Blower, ZL1 Cover, Norcal HX Box, Fluidyne HX, Jabsco Pump,metal lines removed, FIC850's, TR6 plugs, S2T Paddles, LED Fogs, CF Side Skirts and Spoiler, ZL1 addons Rock Guards Front and Rear, Dark Knight Light Mod w/Halos, Side Swipe, Pocket Protector Heat Shield, DCT D-Shaped Padded Steering Wheel with Blue Center Strip Vendor Props to Stainless Works BWD, Presence Distribution, Grocery Gettin V Blue Calipers, DCT Motor Sports, Norcal SS, WeaponXMotorsports, and DBR

1991 GMC Syclone/ 1992 GMC Typhoon/ 1984 50th AE 300zx

SOLD : 2006 CTS-V Stealth Gray, Beige, Rear Spoiler, Chrome Wheels, UCC Shifter, Roof, V2 Suede Shifter, Blue Stitch Boot, V Embroidered Headrest, Zoomers Exhaust, KARS III, 1000hp Hendrix Axles, Clear Fogs: SOLD

I V
    Quote Originally Posted by wgt3 View Post
    patience mainly, definitely a PITA scraping away, that was worst part
    Got Bearings? likes this.

They look nice! Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    M6 Wagon waiting game...

Sold-2011 WD Wagon A6

Quote Originally Posted by wgt3 View Post
    I have done a dozen sets or so, like the OP said, mostly just time and patience. I have only had a couple sets that were really bad though, most have peeled out fairly easy.

Cityboy414 likes this.
    M6 Wagon waiting game...

Sold-2011 WD Wagon A6

I V
    Quote Originally Posted by Skhirst2005 View Post
    They look nice! Well done.

thank you! its nice because your front end pic is what i would look at for reference on how i wanted it to come out
    Blades1_99 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by I V View Post
    thank you! its nice because your front end pic is what i would look at for reference on how i wanted it to come out
    Haha. Glad I could offer some inspiration.

M6 Wagon waiting game...

Sold-2011 WD Wagon A6

Looks great! Going to tackle this over the winter too. I like how bright the bars are. Can you explain in more detail the LED upgrade for the bar? I've read about a couple different ways and leds used.
    Any details, parts, and procedure would be cool.
    Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    2011 Sedan A6 - Raven Black - Recaros- Bought it stock and quickly got addicted. and it keeps going...
    STAGE 1 - Griptec 2.38", 850 injectors, Airaid intake, Moroso catch can, Track attack HX, Varimax pump,
    - Manifolds, B&B down pipes, no cats, 22" resonators, stock mufflers (QTP cut-outs connected to Homelink)...open most the time...just too fun!
    - RPM Motorsports tune (Raleigh/Garner) - 575 whp/ 598 Tq (Dry 50 degree day)
    STAGE 2 - Mamo LS7 TB, DIY Ported snout/blower, ZL1 lid, Flex fuel sys with Aux pump & filter, ID1050's, Green filter - 650 whp/630 Tq (60 degree day)
    Forgestar 20" CF10's 9" front /11" rear with 305 Pilot Sport AS4's (flush) - Eibach coupe sport springs
    * WeaponX/ JB's -Sway bars and Diff Cooler * 18x9.5" TSW Nurburgrings and Nitto NT-01 for track days and C5 Vette 18" Replicas w/305/35/18 MT Street SS Drag Radials
    Best time of 10.75 @126 1.53 60ft and 6.91 in the 1/8th

I V
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadattac View Post
    Looks great! Going to tackle this over the winter too. I like how bright the bars are. Can you explain in more detail the LED upgrade for the bar? I've read about a couple different ways and leds used.
    Any details, parts, and procedure would be cool.
    Thanks!

I purchased the LED bar upgrade from a facebook group member selling LEDs (interior/license plate/LED bar/DRL), i already had everything else so just got the LED bar upgrade, basically just snip out old LED module and solder in new one, youll see how to get it out once you have the headlight opened up

Second this ^^^ I have also used the led’s for the light bars from that same guy on fb.

M6 Wagon waiting game...

Sold-2011 WD Wagon A6

Quote Originally Posted by I V View Post
    Ended up buying some aftermarket base model CTS headlights, pulling the lenses off and swapping onto my headlights, while it was open, also went ahead and sprayed chrome bezel and orange side marker black and lightly tinted the reflector shield for turn and DRL lights along with upgrading the LED for bar

sorry, wrong thread, move me when possible to 09+
    What do you mean by “lightly tinted” how did you “tint”?
    2009 CTSV - 2.55 upper pulley, Airade CAI, 850 injectors, track attack HX, SS brake lines, R1 rotors, hawk yellow pads, kooks headers, high flow cats, corsa exhaust. 575 WHP, 7.4 @ 99 1/8th

I V
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    What do you mean by “lightly tinted” how did you “tint”?
    lightsmoke tint vinyl on the rear flat portion of lenses

What aftermarket base cts headlights did i you use? I assume they worked out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2009 CTSV - 2.55 upper pulley, Airade CAI, 850 injectors, track attack HX, SS brake lines, R1 rotors, hawk yellow pads, kooks headers, high flow cats, corsa exhaust. 575 WHP, 7.4 @ 99 1/8th

I’d buy a set... just saying wink wink
    db-guru likes this.
    2011 TG Sedan - Recaro's, Ultraview, A6

Wcch heads, lt1z cam with retainers/springs, 2 inch arh long tubes no cats, Headers and y pipe, Electric Cutouts, 4.5in DynoSpeed intake, NW 102mm TB, ID1000 injectors, Formatto ported 1.9, Norcal HX box, Ligenfelter Hx Pump, Weapon X Track Attack
    ZL1 Lid, 9.1/2.45 pulley , Circle D built trans with converter 6L90E

Could you guys give me a name to search on facebook?
    I'd like to attempt taking mine apart in the next few months

i hope they hold up, ive gone through 4 sets of aftermarket headlights on my pickup, the clear always seems to peel off and fail

2014 Phantom Grey sedan lots of mods

Quote Originally Posted by BokkaMedia View Post
    Could you guys give me a name to search on facebook?
    I'd like to attempt taking mine apart in the next few months
    A name to search for on FB?

M6 Wagon waiting game...

Sold-2011 WD Wagon A6

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    What aftermarket base cts headlights did i you use? I assume they worked out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I have done a set and used the eagle eyes aftermarket light. Worked out really well. As to long term, time will tell on the durability.

Last edited by Skhirst2005; 10-16-2019 at 07:30 AM.
    M6 Wagon waiting game...

Sold-2011 WD Wagon A6

I V
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF300 View Post
    i hope they hold up, ive gone through 4 sets of aftermarket headlights on my pickup, the clear always seems to peel off and fail
    i like to keep the headlight lenses sealed to avoid that with either a ceramic or wax, the only reason the stocks got bad was because of previous owner, they also had spider cracks inside lense which werent repairable via sanding reclearing

I just did this modification as well (minus painting the inside of the housing), and within 2 weeks, I had yellowing forming on the top edge of the headlight at the seam where it meets the fender (where the black weatherstrip sits). It's not from the butyl discoloring the clear lens, but appears to be the glue from the weatherstrip to the headlight. I'm hoping I can clean it off, but if not, I would likely have to do this modification again and pull the lens off.

The lights I bought were off Amazon and were $280 something for the pair. If I can't clean off the yellowing film on the inside edge, I'll likely just save up and go OEM.
    I V likes this.
    2014 V Sedan, Automatic
    2004 Pontiac GTO, 460/423
    1970 Chevrolet C10 Protouring build 6.0 liter S480 Turbo, No limit frame

Can you share the guys info from facebook to find him? Looking to buy the bulbs. Also, what black paint do you guys use exactly? Thx

2011 Sedan A6 - Raven Black - Recaros- Bought it stock and quickly got addicted. and it keeps going...
    STAGE 1 - Griptec 2.38", 850 injectors, Airaid intake, Moroso catch can, Track attack HX, Varimax pump,
    - Manifolds, B&B down pipes, no cats, 22" resonators, stock mufflers (QTP cut-outs connected to Homelink)...open most the time...just too fun!
    - RPM Motorsports tune (Raleigh/Garner) - 575 whp/ 598 Tq (Dry 50 degree day)
    STAGE 2 - Mamo LS7 TB, DIY Ported snout/blower, ZL1 lid, Flex fuel sys with Aux pump & filter, ID1050's, Green filter - 650 whp/630 Tq (60 degree day)
    Forgestar 20" CF10's 9" front /11" rear with 305 Pilot Sport AS4's (flush) - Eibach coupe sport springs
    * WeaponX/ JB's -Sway bars and Diff Cooler * 18x9.5" TSW Nurburgrings and Nitto NT-01 for track days and C5 Vette 18" Replicas w/305/35/18 MT Street SS Drag Radials
    Best time of 10.75 @126 1.53 60ft and 6.91 in the 1/8th

Quote Originally Posted by Cadattac View Post
    Can you share the guys info from facebook to find him? Looking to buy the bulbs. Also, what black paint do you guys use exactly? Thx

This is the guy I bought lights from.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009443606798

And I just use the reg black plastidip.

M6 Wagon waiting game...

Sold-2011 WD Wagon A6

Sponsored Links