%$#@&*^%$#@ Mer- Fer - I am so damn mad..........
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: %$#@&*^%$#@ Mer- Fer - I am so damn mad..........

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

%$#@&*^%$#@ Mer- Fer - I am so damn mad..........

Earlier in the week I pulled my ZL1 lid off to inspect the brick and develop a game plan to improve my SC cooling. I reinforced the brick and took a closer look at my setup's hose routing with the ZL1 lid, NORCALSS ice box, stock pump and Track Attack HX. Started to put together a plan to eliminate the stock hard lines and go 1" lines on everything along with a better pump. I have a good idea what I want to do now after a couple days of searching / reading / consulting with vendors on this forum. Since I currently don't have any show stopper issues, I decided that I am going to wait on these upgrades while I bank some $ and source some parts. My current available funds are dedicated to a Spring Break getaway with my kid in a couple weeks and possibly going to the TBSS National meet in Bowling Green KY.

Tonight I decided to put my car back togther for now and hold out for a few weeks on any upgrades. Cleaned up the surfaces and gaskets on the manifold and lid. As I was reattaching the Nitrous Outlet solenoids to the spray bars I hear a clink sound. Looked around hoping it was a socket or wrench shifting on the cowl. Hell no.....one of the tiny aluminum brackets off the purge solenoid was gone. Grabbed my flashlight and sure as hell it dropped into the #7 cylinder and since the valve was open it dropped into the block. The head has to come out to retrieve it. A simple lid re-assemble just turned into a giant PITA.

After a flurry of four letter words and kicking the neighbor's dog (just kidding) I went to the fridge and grabbed a beer to cool off. After about 10 minutes I decided to just get after it. I am too damn cheap to pay someone to do this for me. So I pulled the SC off and called it a day while I cool off and regroup on if I want to upgrade anything else while I have it pulled apart. Luckily I have a full LS gasket kit on hand, so I could just put it all back together and call it good. I know I won't be able to sleep good tonight with the daylight savings time change and this new PITA task at hand. Maybe I will just call off work tomorrow and knock it out. IDK - I am just pissed right now. If I would have been a little more careful none of this would have happened and by now I would be driving it again with just the brick reinforced.
    Last edited by theheder; 03-12-2017 at 06:50 PM.
    2010 CTS-V
    2007 TBSS
    2008 Streetglide
    2011 Civic

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T. S. Eliot

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

Last edited by theheder; 03-13-2017 at 09:55 AM.
    2010 CTS-V
    2007 TBSS
    2008 Streetglide
    2011 Civic

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T. S. Eliot

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    This may not work at all for you, but I once pulled a small bolt off the top of the piston by using one of those magnetic telescoping things. If one of those wont fit you might even be able to use some type of ferrous wire/metal and hold a magnet to the wire. Use the wire to fish into the cylinder. That'll essentially extend the reach of the magnetic field.
    Caddy5 and jettaTDI like this.
    2009 CTS-V - 2.4 upper, FIC1000, Airaid, Headers, Track Attack, PatG Tuned
    2013 Mustang GT - 430/400 11.90@116.7 SOLD
    1992 Mustang LX - 4.8/4L80e LSx Turbo project
    1966 Buick Riviera - 425ci Nailhead

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Sounds like a huge opportunity for some porting! Or head swap. Or whatever else you can imagine since you're up to your arms in it already.

Sorry to hear it but glad you noticed something dropped in there before firing it up...couldda been WAY worse.
    jettaTDI likes this.
    2014 OBM/Titanium CTS-V Wagon "The Blue Whale"
    Auto, All Options, Interior 100% stock.
    Custom touches here and there...needs driver mod badly!
    7xx to 8xx rwhp

2015 Audi SQ5 Prestige Glacier White Metallic + Gloss Piano Black trim "Snow White"
    Black leather interior, 8 Spd ZF Auto, all options
    Pulley and tune
    21" RS6 wheels /Super Sport 285's all around / Lowered on KW's

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BDFabrizio View Post
    This may not work at all for you, but I once pulled a small bolt off the top of the piston by using one of those magnetic telescoping things. If one of those wont fit you might even be able to use some type of ferrous wire/metal and hold a magnet to the wire. Use the wire to fish into the cylinder. That'll essentially extend the reach of the magnetic field.
    Yeah unfortunately it's aluminum = non magnetic.
    2010 CTS-V
    2007 TBSS
    2008 Streetglide
    2011 Civic

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Can you get it with one of these?

I have one and it has saved my ass several times.
    2013 OBM CTS-V Coupe
    Mods: Billy Boat Exhaust, Stoptech Drilled & Slotted Rotors, EBC Redstuff, Cut Stock Springs, 6K HID Fogs, Full ATS-V Emblem Conversion, Full LED Conversion
    2006 Black Raven STS-V (Traded In)
    Fully Modded: 459RWHP@5888rpm/451lbft@4696rpm

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Maybe if I hand turn the crank bolt to open the valve just right to get better access.

Keep the ideas coming!
    2010 CTS-V
    2007 TBSS
    2008 Streetglide
    2011 Civic

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Since the SC is off, bring the piston to TDC (or as close as possible while intake valve is still open), remove spark plug and use compressed air from the intake side and try blowing it out the spark plug hole? Or reverse, blow air from the spark plug side?
    Hidden Content
    6M, Recaros, mostly stock...

Hidden Content - SOLD
    383, 6M

Hidden Content Originally Posted by mackleit01 Hidden Content
    When Bearings states WTF, I'm not clicking on the link.
    SoCal CTS-V Owners: Join our local Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Try making a tacky ball of Tuck tape and see if the piece sticks to it through the spark plug opening.

Also, throw out that sweet shit in your beer fridge......but go ahead and drink the Angry Orchard since it seems apropos right now.

Good luck guy!
    2009 CTS V Black Raven Sedan, M6, Recaro's, Ultraview
    Stage 0.6 Airaid CAI, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, Kooks catted xpipe, stock mufflers, Mamofied LS7, NGK TR6, SM Dual CC, 160F stat, Dynojet tuned by Dave @dasilvamotorsport, SAE 526hp/508tq/91oct

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Bearings? View Post
    Since the SC is off, bring the piston to TDC (or as close as possible while intake valve is still open), remove spark plug and use compressed air from the intake side and try blowing it out the spark plug hole? Or reverse, blow air from the spark plug side?
    Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately it's too big to fit through the spark plug hole.
    2010 CTS-V
    2007 TBSS
    2008 Streetglide
    2011 Civic

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown376 View Post
    Also, throw out that sweet shit in your beer fridge......but go ahead and drink the Angry Orchard since it seems apropos right now.
    Good luck guy!
    Those were brought over by a female designated driver that came over for the UNC vs Duke basketball game. She is welcome back anytime!

Maybe I can get her to come lean over and look into that cylinder for a lil while!
    Last edited by theheder; 03-13-2017 at 10:05 AM.
    2010 CTS-V
    2007 TBSS
    2008 Streetglide
    2011 Civic

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Been kicking around just pulling the motor and going forged stroker. I have about half the parts on hand already. I would need to picked a forged crank and bearings that I can get from my engine builder if / when I call to see what his availability is.

I went through this 2 years ago on my TBSS (forged 403ci H/C/I) and know what it costs for parts, but I am going to save a good bit on labor and time line by doing the R&R myself.
    2010 CTS-V
    2007 TBSS
    2008 Streetglide
    2011 Civic

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Time to port the blower, heads and drop in some Johnson 2110's. Go ahead and see it off now and they will be ready once you get back from your trip. Saving money is for the birds haha.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    so the part will not fit through the spark plug hole but will through the valve when fully open? If that's the case getting it back out is going to be prettymuch impossible without pulling the head IMHO.

one idea - could you use a spring compressor to open the valve up more than TDC to give you more room to fish it out with a claw or tape ball?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    God damn, I would be UPSET. This is exactly why I stuffed everything full of paper towel when I had my lid off and was installing flex fuel sensor and filter.

If I in any way had the means to do head porting, cam, lifters and a lower while I was down there I would. The supercharger is simple enough to swap that I'd put if off for later unless down time is a major factor.

Sorry for your troubles, but I'm interested in how you proceed.

Sent from my XR6M10 using Tapatalk
    2012 BDT Sedan - Recaro's, Ultraview, A6 >Hidden Content <
    Stg 1 (as-purchased): Airaid, EE catchcan, 2.4" Metco, TR7IX, ported snout, Mamo LS7 TB, ID850's, ARH 1 7/8", Vadder Destroyer HX & CWA50 pump, ZL1 lid- 560rwhp/530rwtq SAE
    Stg 1.5: DMS (Flex)Fuel Trio, reinforced brick and Black Moon Aero- TBD

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

I already have most of those upgrades done (ported TB, ported snout, ported heads, upper, lower, cam, trunion upgrade and a list of other stuff). I just wanted to do the SC cooling mods I have been investigating.
    I wish that I would have done the paper towel trick in the ports and I would have been on the road and hour or so later.

FML. I guess this way I keep my tools dirty, knuckles busted, fingernails black and wallet empty.
    Last edited by theheder; 03-13-2017 at 10:05 AM.
    2010 CTS-V
    2007 TBSS
    2008 Streetglide
    2011 Civic

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    as a last ditch effort, you can take your intake valve spring off for that cylinder and lower the valve as much as possible. then bring that piston up as much as possible. you want to get it to the point where the piston will hold that valve up and you have just enough to pull it back up. then either blow air or try sticking a grabbing tool in there to retrieve your bracket.
    be careful while doing this though, you might have to play with it a little, just be careful that the compression/valve spring tension of the other cylinders doesnt accidentally turn the engine over further that you want. in fact you might want to set your piston height first, than lower the valve.
    Last edited by kliped; 03-13-2017 at 12:54 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I have tried all kinds of tricks to get it out. The bottom line is the driver side head is coming off. I can see it sitting in there on the piston - sorry for the crappy pic.

I want to wait until I get some ARP bolts in hand before I tackle it. Pull the head, take the foreign object debris out, slap a new gasket on and reassemble. I am going to hold off on building a forged stroker until after this race season. That gives me some time to see what the current setup will do as a baseline and also some time to learn how to launch it well.
    Last edited by theheder; 03-14-2017 at 06:20 PM.
    2010 CTS-V
    2007 TBSS
    2008 Streetglide
    2011 Civic

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I did make some good progress on the SC cooling mods.

I pulled off the Track Attack HX and the stock lines / hoses. I will cut off the 3/4" fittings on the HX and weld on some 1" rolled tubing.

Also pulled off the NORCALSS ice box 3/4" to 5/8" fittings. I have found the replacement 1" fittings that I hope to modify and use on it.

Picking up some hose this week and will cut to length to replace the stock hard lines and re-route away from the headers. Should be a decent / affordable upgrade until I can get a better pump with 1" inlet / outlets. Been looking at the EMP but not sold on it yet. Any suggestions are welcome. These mods are probably hard to follow on the forum with my crappy pics, but I have it all squared away in my head. Stay tuned.
    2010 CTS-V
    2007 TBSS
    2008 Streetglide
    2011 Civic

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Maybe I should start a build thread

or find a new hobby.

Since I have the nose pulled off I will start on laying out the APR splitter install too.

2010 CTS-V
    2007 TBSS
    2008 Streetglide
    2011 Civic

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    What about one of those micro vacuum kits? It may be small enough to put the hose in there and get ahold of it.

https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Vacuum-...H1REZVDBCPHSTD

Or use a good strong vacuum like a shop vac on the intake runner of the head and take the spark plug out that may suck it out.
    Last edited by crash02; 03-16-2017 at 10:24 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Flexible magnetic pick up tool, very thin and 30" long.

Google search flexible magnetic pick of tool for more options.

V8 Tools 3826 Mighty Worm Magnetic Pickup Tool
    Currently slumming it in a Jeep SRT and watching Gen 3 V prices for my next car!

2011 CTS-V Coupe -WeaponX carbon fiber trim. (sold)

Originally Posted by WD2009CTSV
    1/2 tenth on the big end and a little more weight in the pocket. And that's like a sore dick, you just can't beat it!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by RaVeNous View Post
    Flexible magnetic pick up tool, very thin and 30" long.

Google search flexible magnetic pick of tool for more options.

V8 Tools 3826 Mighty Worm Magnetic Pickup Tool
    The piece is aluminum
    Hidden Content
    6M, Recaros, mostly stock...

Hidden Content - SOLD
    383, 6M

Hidden Content Originally Posted by mackleit01 Hidden Content
    When Bearings states WTF, I'm not clicking on the link.
    SoCal CTS-V Owners: Join our local Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by crash02 View Post
    What about one of those micro vacuum kits? It may be small enough to put the hose in there and get ahold of it.

https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Vacuum-...H1REZVDBCPHSTD

Or use a good strong vacuum like a shop vac on the intake runner of the head and take the spark plug out that may suck it out.
    I have tried everything that I can think of.

I have the hand turned the crank to open the valve as much as I can to help get at it.

I did the shop vac trick with the air hose nozzle blowing in the spark plug hole - no dice.

Not enough room to get a grabber tool around the valve and pick it up.

It is a flat and thin piece of aluminum laying on the piston. Honestly after looking at it for hours I don't really know how the hell it slid through the valve. FML.

The weather is going to warm up and I have time on Saturday to get after it and knock it out. I am sick of f-ing around with it.

2010 CTS-V
    2007 TBSS
    2008 Streetglide
    2011 Civic

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Sorry man, my worst fear...

Watched a buddy drop a small washer after removing the intake in his gto. It did a Happy Gilmore bounce off 2 things before finding itself in the cylinder.....
    2013 TGC V Sedan M6
    Crane Cam, BTR DVS, BTR moly PRs, ATI damper, 8.66", 2.55", LPE Iso, Kooks long tubes, Kooks cat X-pipe, Corsa Perf. Axle-back, FIC 72/lb, MSD BAP, MSD plugs, NGK plugs, 160* T-stat, Centerforce DYAD twin-disc, Airaid intake, Mich Pilot SS tires. Cooling and E85 coming soon!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by theheder View Post
    I have tried everything that I can think of.

I have the hand turned the crank to open the valve as much as I can to help get at it.

I did the shop vac trick with the air hose nozzle blowing in the spark plug hole - no dice.

Not enough room to get a grabber tool around the valve and pick it up.

It is a flat and thin piece of aluminum laying on the piston. Honestly after looking at it for hours I don't really know how the hell it slid through the valve. FML.

The weather is going to warm up and I have time on Saturday to get after it and knock it out. I am sick of f-ing around with it.

why not try popping the valve spring off and open the valve even more, you really have nothing to lose at this point lol
    also, i would stick a screwdriver in there and see if you can get that bracket to come loose from its position on the piston, then try air in the spark plug hole again
    Last edited by kliped; 03-16-2017 at 05:51 PM.
    crash02 likes this.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Thanks for the empathy and suggestions.

Tonight I continued to work on the SC cooling mods while I get ready to R&R the head this weekend.

Modified the Track attack HX to have 1" inlet and outlets. I plan to flush it, clean up the fins and paint it black.

Worked on the ZL1 lid manifold and got 1" tubing welded on and reamed it out to get a little more flow without sacrificing the strength.

I have a aftermarket pump on the way from a vendor on this forum. The combination of these mods should be a big overall flow improvement over what I had.

Stay tuned.
    Last edited by theheder; 03-16-2017 at 07:28 PM.
    2010 CTS-V
    2007 TBSS
    2008 Streetglide
    2011 Civic

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Maybe I should start a build thread

or find a new hobby.

Since I have the nose pulled off I will start on laying out the APR splitter install too.

To get your mind off the problem for a second lol what size rear tire are you running? Really like the way that sits in the back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by B_hillegas21 View Post
    To get your mind off the problem for a second lol what size rear tire are you running? Really like the way that sits in the back
    295 45 17 MT ET - the ones that they recently quit making
    2010 CTS-V
    2007 TBSS
    2008 Streetglide
    2011 Civic

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    295 45 17 MT ET - the ones that they recently quit making
    Of course lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links