Testing JMS PowerMax. Settings help.
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

Testing JMS PowerMax. Settings help.

Is there a way to test the JMS fuel pump voltage booster or atleast measure voltage? The instructions say I could use a pressure tester to simulate positive pressure but is there away to do it without and just using a multimeter? Are my setting on the front suppose to be 100% Output voltage on the knob? Voltage range 18v or 22v?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Testing JMS PowerMax. Settings help.-powermax.jpg

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I've never done this stuff before and have no experience with it, but I did find an instruction picture and maybe it can help you.

Can't you just hook your multimeter up to read the potential difference between the black ground wire and white positive voltage wire that come out of the back of the unit?

2012 Cadillac CTS-V - Sedan - Crystal Red Tintcoat

Transmission: Automatic - stock
    Induction: Airaid with Green Filter
    Electronics: DashLogic
    Weight: 4280 pounds with 7/16 tank of gas, no one inside

Previous: 2013 Mustang GT - Automatic - 410 RWHP

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by helloWorld View Post
    I've never done this stuff before and have no experience with it, but I did find an instruction picture and maybe it can help you.

Can't you just hook your multimeter up to read the potential difference between the black ground wire and white positive voltage wire that come out of the back of the unit?

I did not include that I have the boost referenced setup, with the boost port built directly into the unit, comes on at whatever PSI I have set on the unit, so I have a vacuum line ran from the engine bay to the trunk. It is not controlled by the harness like the one pictured above.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Had some spare time at work, so I found a formula from the stackexchange forums that will calculate the percentage a number is between two defined numbers.

For an example, let us say that you want to have a 16 V boost from this powermax. What percentage is that though? The formula is: [(x-a) / (b-a)] * 100 where X is the voltage boost that you want, A is the lower limit (14.5 Volts), and B is the upper limit (18 Volts, assuming you leave dipswitch 2 off.) So, we have [(16 - 14.5) / (18 - 14.5)] * 100, which comes out to roughly 42.857 %.

So, you can move the knob to a little bit underneath the 50 percent mark and work from there. Or, if you want to be more precise, we know that there are six distinct marks between 0 and 100 on this knob. That means each mark must be 16.67 or (50/3) to be more precise. So, you can take the percentage we got from the formula and divide it by (50/3), which comes up to 2.571. So, the knob actually needs to be around 2.5 marks up from zero.

Hopefully I am right, or I look like a giant doofus right now

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by thereason View Post
    I did not include that I have the boost referenced setup, with the boost port built directly into the unit, comes on at whatever PSI I have set on the unit, so I have a vacuum line ran from the engine bay to the trunk. It is not controlled by the harness like the one pictured above.
    Oh, that is way beyond my league! Hopefully someone who has done this can help you out.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I finally see what your issue is

I guess the powermax will not even start boosting the voltage unless the transducer recognizes some kind of positive pressure. I am sure there are plenty of ways to generate that pressure. Maybe you can blow up a smaller balloon and then wrap the balloon opening around the port and press on the balloon until the powermax does something? Maybe you can get an air compressor with a nozzle attachment and just set the air compressor to a very low PSI output?

I am confused about not being able to measure the voltage output though. Something has to be connected between the fuel pump and the powermax. Once you are able to generate some pressure, surely you can read the voltage between ground and whatever wire is going to the fuel pump. I am sure the math from post #4 can be used to establish a good starting point, assuming you know what level of output boost you want anyways.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I installed this exact BAP myself with the Hobbs switch. you can test it by jumping the positive and negative on the Hobbs switch. Just touch the 2 together and complete the circuit. This is the same as when you're at 5psi boost.

You'll need a hand obviously because someone will need to be at the BAP testing the output voltage with a voltmeter simultaneously.
    2009 6MT - 708hp E63CORN-634hp/637tq 93 octane - stock cam-- 2.5/91 - ported blower/snout/90mm LS7 Mamo TB - Track Attack HX - Norcal Ice box - FIC 1000 - JMS BAP- Dsteck FF - MM catch can - ZL1 lid - AirAid Green Filter - pocket protector/side swipe-Kooks 1 7/8 Headers - 22in resonators - SW catback

Sponsored Links