Bad Alternator? Bad Actuator? (video w/ sound)
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

Bad Alternator? Bad Actuator? (video w/ sound)

Picked up my car from the body shop (they did some touch up work) and my V was making a humming noise. Battery voltage on the dash read 15.5V. Then when I shut the engine down, I hear this noise. I think the sound is coming from the right side of the engine. It sounds like some actuator is trying to move but getting stuck...or kind of like the sound an airplane make when they are locking the landing gear in place. Since the battery voltage is reading high, I was thinking it could be the alternator, but then that sounds after shutdown doesn't make much sense to me.

Please help!

http://vid282.photobucket.com/albums...3/File_000.mp4
    2010 CTS-V Sedan, M6, Thunder Gray, Recaro, no Sunroof, de-chromed, lower, ported TB, CAI, Magnaflow

Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?

Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Still trying to figure this out... I moved the car yesterday and it seemed to be fine, but I'm still trying to figure out what happened here.
    2010 CTS-V Sedan, M6, Thunder Gray, Recaro, no Sunroof, de-chromed, lower, ported TB, CAI, Magnaflow

Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?

Hidden Content

Vendor
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Any chance it's your intercooler pump?

I say this only because it can have a delay after shutdown, but it does sound a bit loud for that.

CNC ported blowers, heads from WCCH, new Eaton rotor packs for your LSA blower, Mamo ported throttle bodies and more:
    Sales@dynamicflowconcepts.net
    Dynamicflowconcepts.net
    http://dynamicflowconcepts.net/t/superchargers

2010 Thunder Gray sedan, A6, ebony recaros, LPE 650 (well, sort of), AR headers with (blown out) cats, 22" Magnaflow resonators, 9.1/2.5" pulleys, ID1000's, ZL1 Lid, CNC ported blower, WCCH heads, Mamo Motorsports custom cam, 102mm TPIS TB, DSteck Flex Fuel module, ZR1 HX pump, custom HX tube set, Fluidyne 3X HX,4.5" intake tube, FlyingV installation

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

"V"roooooom
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    ***If the alternator is working well, your multi-meter should read somewhere in the vicinity of 14 volts (typically 13.8-14.2). If it is reading excessively higher than 14 volts (greater than 15 volts) it is possible that the voltage regulator on your alternator is faulty or going bad. If it is reading lower than 13-14 volts, there are a number of possibilities as to the reason. First, it is possible that your engine idle speed is too low for the alternator to put out sufficient voltage/power. Try revving up the engine to 2000 RPM or higher and take a reading. If the voltage is still too low, check to be sure all the connectors on your alternator are tight and that the alternator belt is not slipping and is spinning on the pulley correctly. If it is still not putting out sufficient power, then the alternator’s voltage regulator could be bad or the alternator itself may need replaced. - From the Internet ***
    As for me, I had to change out my alternator because it was not working properly. My voltage was in the 11 range. It made a noise through the power steering that would sound like engine feedback through the speakers. (the alternator is located at the front lower driver side)
    Hidden Content
    2011 CTS V, RECAROS, ULTRAVIEW, EIBACH SPRINGS, CROSS DRILLED AND SLOTTED ROTORS, CF AIRAID, PORTED LS7 TB, PORTED SNOUT, MUFFLER DELETE, (2.5 PULLEY AND 850 INJECTORS - NOT INSTALLED)

Sponsored Links