Loss of all Power on the Highway - Bad News
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

I wanted to share my series of unfortunate events with the forum, since I was in kind of unfamiliar territory while it was happening.
    Setting the Scene:
    I had a stage 1, 2.5 upper pulley, wxm hx, a tune, and exhaust cutouts. One day in a rush I left the house and merged on to the highway pretty quick and on the ramp the torque died and the limp mode turned on. I pulled over and powered off for 5 min. I realized I had an issue in the following days when I couldn't even pass on the highway. I also had a mysterious oil puddle on my garage floor.
    The Good:
    Took it into the dealer who "didn't notice" my chip tune and decided to start troubleshooting. All initial diagnostics did not reveal anything and they asked to take the engine apart. at this point I said "I'm not trying to go down this path too far without a max price quote" which was VERY IMPORTANT later on. he said "$4,500" and we began.
    The Bad:
    Long story short I went back into the shop and they showed me my sad pitiful engine with metal particles EVERYWHERE in the engine (cylinders, supercharger lid) and scoring in the cylinders which was giving epic blow-by into the crankcase destroying the seal to the transmission (source of the mystery oil). They lifted the exhaust pipes and chunks of the catalytic converter fell to the floor. They told me that the valve overlap allowed the bits of the catalytic converter to be sucked back into the engine causing my issues. They handed me a "warranty" slip that said damaged catalytic convertors installed in 2016 or before (aka every CC ever) have a possibility to destroy an entire engine that would require full replacement"
    The Ugly:
    While my engine was technically under warranty, they said they required "Owner Participation" due to my modifications. I was never able to find any documentation to verify that this existed. They pointed to my cutouts, which I regrettably mounted right under the doors in place of the resonators which "messed with the O2 sensors" according to my tuner. They gave me a quote over the phone of $10k and I brought up our earlier arrangement of $4.5k which they readily accepted. I received a brand new engine, minus the attachments.
    The Agony:
    So a new engine and $4.5k lighter and I should count myself lucky, though I can't help but feel I was "stiffed" by the dealer to "make the problem go away for a sum of money". The receipt they showed me was that the whole service would have cost close to $25k. God it hurt though.
    But Whyy?
    • I should say that when I bought the car used (stock), It used roughly 3 quarts of oil between oil changes. I had two oil studies conducted both of which separate dealers presented a scrap of paper stating "excessive oil consumption above 3000RPMs is normal"
    • When I Installed the upgrades, there were no particles to speak of in the supercharger/lid
    • I drove across the country with the new hardware and no tune, with multiple engine limp modes. Could have been running rich that disintegrated the cats
    • Placement of the cutouts are closer to the engine, perhaps debris/water entered and destroyed the cats

I am now running "stock" (transmission tune, cai, ported tb, cutouts closed, but still in place) with a bucket of spare parts.

Hopefully you won't have to go through what I did, but if you have any thoughts to pit my mind at ease please add!
    Last edited by kunfetty; 12-16-2016 at 08:18 PM.
    WeaponX Stage 1 W/New Era CAI, Ported TB
    Remote Electric Cutouts
    Dr. Phil Tune @ 536hp/544ft-lbs
    True Daily Driver
    Lansing MI - Birthplace of the V

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I drove across the country with the new hardware and no tune, with multiple engine limp modes.
    Yikes. You just got GM to pay $20k for something that was in no way their fault. Anyone wonder why the price of the V3's ended up about $30k higher than the V2's? Warranty costs was no doubt one of the factors. I for one don't appreciate having to pay higher vehicle and warranty costs because somebody was grossly negligent and destroyed a perfectly good engine.

You feel "Stiffed" by the dealer? Are you kidding? I know what my dealer's service manager AND our zone rep would have said when they saw your modifications and heard you drove it across the country like that. It would have started with a laugh. If that dealership is audited, GM can deny that entire job and then the dealership has to eat that $20k. In GM's eyes, they committed warranty fraud. The modifications destroyed the engine, not defective products, workmanship or assembly which are the only things the factory warranty is supposed to cover.

Like I said, Yikes.
    Last edited by gmtech16450yz; 12-16-2016 at 11:21 PM.
    Check out my V8 Sky build video. It's pretty cool!...

https://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q

https://www.youtube.com/user/gmtech16450yz

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    ...I didn't think this level of stupid still existed.

You have proven me wrong yet again.
    2012 CTS-V Coupe 6MT - 4.5"/102 combo, fully ported blower, TEA Stg2 LSA heads, LT1Z Stg 2.5 cam, SW 2" Catless, 2.5/9.1 pullies, -10 ZL1 lid, ID850's, TA+low mount, Varimax, Norcal, etc. Tuned by Mike @ New Era. Labor by New Era Performance. 720 hp & 659tq

APRIL 2017: DSX Aux Pump, DSX Flex Sensor, ID1000's & Corsa Touring. Installed @ Weapon X Motorsports. Tuned by Jeremy@WXM - 708whp on pump - 758 on E58

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    All I can say is wow.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

I read "Chip tune" and about spit out my coffee. I swear you had your car tuned locally.

Followed by "drove car with mods across country without tune"??

You are very lucky to get it fixed for $4500.

There must be more to this story

Pushing a car with a melted cat would be my first guess as to failure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry arizona; 12-17-2016 at 07:31 AM.
    679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    Kooks LT w/cats stock muffs
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I should say that when I bought the car used (stock), It used roughly 3 quarts of oil between oil changes. I had two oil studies conducted both of which separate dealers presented a scrap of paper stating "excessive oil consumption above 3000RPMs is normal"
    It's water under the bridge now; but how many miles between oil changes and how many miles were on the motor?

Sponsored Links