Another Misfire thread and Im clueless.
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vet+BB=V

Thread: Another Misfire thread and Im clueless.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

So here is the story. I bought this car with the misfire and the thought that it would be a simple fix. Shame on me..... Basically it manifests at idle. it is light, and driving through traffic if I didn't see it happening on the Aeroforce gauge I wouldn't even think twice about it till the ses light turns on. I can watch it on Hp Tuners and cylinder 4 will count up, sometimes up to 20+ then clear up and run smooth then misfire a couple times then back up. Cylinder 6/8 will also count up on occasion but nothing like 4. The faults that have stored are P0300, P0304 and P1175. While in Hp Tuners I can bump the idle up to 760 and the misfire clears up to only happening once or twice. I don't notice anything under load and the car pulls like a freight train. However, I am still new to the car so I am not exactly sure what it should feel like. I do notice that just off idle it feels kind of choppy. Not a very smooth transition from 0 throttle input to acceleration. My TBSS(modded) and Escalade(stock) are both totally smooth transitions.

2009 CTS-V

Current Mods-

Metco 2.4 upper pulley
    B&B test pipes, custom mid section, back to stock mufflers
    Airaid intake
    Id850 injectors
    BMR Ice Box
    Track attack heat exchanger
    Varimax IC pump
    ZL1 lid (reinforced brick)
    Tuned by SpeedFactory in Tacoma

Current diagnostic path up to this point. Each event done and car started and verified misfire was still on cylinder 4.

Pulled both pre-cat o2s and cleaned
    Cleaned MAF and throttle body
    Swap spark plugs 4 and 7
    Swap coil wire 4 and 5
    Swap coil 3 and 4
    Pulled injectors, pressured rail to 55psi and watched for leaks. No leaks from the injectors after sitting overnight with drip cloth under them. Running pressure is 36psi. When loaded up psi will rise to 50-55.
    Fuel pressure gauge installed and pressurized rail. Pressure does fall to almost 0 overnight.
    Swap injector 4 and 1
    Removed coil harness and found loose pin to coil 4. Replaced both bank 1 and bank 2 coil/injector harness
    Removed all 8 plugs, NGK-new when purchased car Tr7ix gapped to .033
    Cold Compression test. All 8 cylinders pumped evenly and up to 148-152 by the 4th pump. Cold Compression test. All 8 cylinders pumped evenly and up to 148-152 by the 4th pump. Leak down on bank 2 cold shows 2-8%, 4-0%, 6-10% and 8-12%
    Removed bank 2 valve cover to inspect valve springs. No cracks evident, broken springs, loose or misaligned rockers. Removed rockers and trunion movement is smooth, tip is nice and polished with no galling on either end. Push rods are straight. Removed springs and didn't see anything abnormal. I can rotate the valves and they move up and down smooth.
    Pulled supercharger to inspect seals. It had been replaced just prior to me buying it (at a dealer). All seals look good. There was oil on the intake gaskets but no pinched seals. I have a Weapon X dual catch can on my work bench ready to go in for the oil in the charger.

The car currently has the supercharger off and bank two valve cover off, plugs out. I am not sure what to do next.

Help, and thanks!

Jason

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Damn. I feel for you.

Looks like you've done your homework. Subscribed.
    M6: 10.70 @ 136mph

"I've ridden in a lot of what I thought were fast cars, but yours was the first one to ever give me butterflies."

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Forgot to add it's at 79,000 miles. I've also run a tank of injector cleaner through it plus 3 tanks of regular fuel after that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Shit, good luck man. I cry.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    So stock cam and lower balancer?
    16 ATS V black raven, carbon, recaros, man pedal

12 coupe with man pedal. 683hp/689tq on 93 - sold

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prochargedz View Post
    Shit, good luck man. I cry.
    my 4 cylinder was missing badly. I was in a jam. Replaced the coil pack and the plug came off really easy. I think it was loose. Dunno. Now I did plugs, I know the shit was loose. I'm can't even pull them off. It misses once in a blue moon like one of twice but runs smooth. Maybe throw some dielectric grease on the plugs n wire?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Stock lower and cam.
    MYV likes this.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Don't think it would be a coil, plug or wire, injector. I moved each one to separate cylinders and fault stayed at cylinder 4.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vet+BB=V View Post
    Don't think it would be a coil, plug or wire, injector. I moved each one to separate cylinders and fault stayed at cylinder 4.
    You know that happened to me and it ended up being both fouled plugs from a rich tune and some bad wires.
    M6: 10.70 @ 136mph

"I've ridden in a lot of what I thought were fast cars, but yours was the first one to ever give me butterflies."

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Tonights update.... I took the plunge and pulled bank 2 head off......and nothing. FML The head looks clean, valves, lifters and the cam. Except I did notice the ramp on the intake valve to cylinder 4 has a pretty mean tiger stripe on it. A kind of dull center streak. Not sure this would cause a misfire though. A few other cylinders have some mild streaking on the ramp up the lobe but number 4 seems to be the worst.

Now that I am this deep I may as well build it up. I'd like to add a mild cam, really want it to remain a comfortable daily driver though. The end goal would be to be at 600-650 rwhp. In adding the cam I will add kooks 1-7/8 long tubes with cats. Would it be worthwhile to have the heads ported and polished, or just cleaned up with the cam. I am on a budget, especially have just paid for the car a month ago. The money spent here was suppose to go into rebuilding the worn suspension and shitty stereo.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

Don't know if it's just me or not, but on the picture of the roller on the left side it looks like it has a piece missing... Very small

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    The rollers/cam are in fact scored. But so far haven't found a physical chunk missing. Going to finish pulling cam this weekend and inspect closer. It's all getting replaced at this point. Sent out my blower for porting today. Can't wait to see what Jokerz work looks like. Been great to work with this far.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I'm guessing you have a lifter that is collapsing at idle but pumps up fine one the oil pressure comes up with increased rpm.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    After all was torn down and inspected I found nothing. Finally finished the build over Christmas and stared it up. Still misfired exactly like it did before. However, there were no hard part failures. Took the car in for a the tune and after about an hour of playing with the car the misfire was gone. Ultimately attributed to the fueling and ignition tables. Car runs great now. Lesson learned for me. It's not always are mechanical failure.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vet+BB=V View Post
    After all was torn down and inspected I found nothing. Finally finished the build over Christmas and stared it up. Still misfired exactly like it did before. However, there were no hard part failures. Took the car in for a the tune and after about an hour of playing with the car the misfire was gone. Ultimately attributed to the fueling and ignition tables. Car runs great now. Lesson learned for me. It's not always are mechanical failure.
    Glad you figured out, albeit the hard way. Problem solved!!
    2009 6MT - 708hp E63CORN-634hp/637tq 93 octane - stock cam-- 2.5/91 - ported blower/snout/90mm LS7 Mamo TB - Track Attack HX - Norcal Ice box - FIC 1000 - JMS BAP- Dsteck FF - MM catch can - ZL1 lid - AirAid Green Filter - pocket protector/side swipe-Kooks 1 7/8 Headers - 22in resonators - SW catback

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I had a misfire and it turned out being a pin in the injector harness which caused multiple misfire codes

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk
    Project IWHYNE - 625RWHP and 620TQ
    Vengeance Racing built -

Airaid intake, Billy Boat X-pipe and cat-back exhaust, QTP cutouts, Billy Boat headers, Vengeance Racing 1000cc injectors, DSTEK auxiliary fuel pump, Vengeance Racing Flex fuel sensor, Tony Mamo 90mm ported throttle body, 9.1 LG lower pulley, Vengeance Racing catch can, Zl1 Lid, LG 2.55 upper pulley, LG Solid isolator, NGK 7IX plugs! Track Attack HX, Varimax pump, Eibach Pro-kit springs, 160 thermostat, Full Black Moon Products rocker blades and front splitter.

Sponsored Links