Holy shit!! My roof is LEAKING!! HELP!!!! - Page 2
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Holy shit!! My roof is LEAKING!! HELP!!!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    V's aren't meant to be in the rain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hidden Content
    2011 A6 Sedan Black Diamond Edition w/ Recaros and lowered w Eibach
    4.5" CAI, NW102 TB, ported Snout, ported SC, 2.5/9.1 pullies, ZL1 lid, ported TF heads,
    ID850 injectors, SW headers w Xpipe, LTZ1 stage 2.5 cam, Track Attack HX, Norcal Icebox,
    Forged Lower built by Baker Engineering, Tuned by Dr Phil
    [SIGPIC]

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    bumping this thread since my car now sits out in the rain during the week for work.

How do I remove the headliner enough to access the REAR drain pain? Dropping the headliner enough to see the front is easy enough following the directions. The fronts are clear and I can push wire/weed whacker string up through the rear holes, but I don't know if perhaps one of the drain tubes is disconnected from the pan. My leak is on the rear passenger side roof area. Is it easier to remove the ultraview sunroof rather than the head liner?

Any help? This leak seriously has me considering a trade in on a new mustang.
    Last edited by svh19044; 12-24-2016 at 06:28 AM.
    2012 Black Diamond A6 Sedan: 2.4/Headers/CAI/Injectors - 10.92@127.97

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    bump?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I'm hoping that this is only a "here and there" issue and not a problem with most. I typically don't care for sunroofs but looked for one with the UltraView because I figured the kids and wife would love it. I hope that decision doesn't bite me in the ass.
    2009 Thunder Gray Sedan: M6, Recaros, UltraView

Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    They only leak if the drain tubes get clogged or fall off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    Kooks LT w/cats stock muffs
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post

I do plan to check and clean the drain tubes. Isn't there also a potential issue with the tape GM used for sealant?

Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

What's the best way to access the rear drain pan?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I sat on this a whole year because the rains let up and I had cleaned my drain tubes....well, it happened again, but only along the front driver pillar and the passenger rear pillar. And only in heavy downpours. It's as if it's just too much water at one time. It rained slow and steady all night the other day and there were NO leaks that day.

EDIT: I think I want to do the tube replacement. Anyone in LA wanna get together and try it?
    Hidden Content

Airaid w/ Green Filter, Ported LS7 TB, Vadder Destroyer HX, Varimax, Powder coated wheels with pretty black Gorilla lugs, MT ET SS 305/35/19's, PAC Nav Unlock, 2 Recaro Sport Child seats, and blacked out everything. Mod Pile: Ruskyab Detailed ZL1 lid (milled, ported, reinforced and painted), ID850's, Headers, WCCH (soon to be) ported heads, '11 fender vents, back-up camera, Blacked-out Headlights, 5K fogs.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    How about removing the bottom flap instead?
    '14 V Wagon 6MT

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sommer86 View Post
    I sat on this a whole year because the rains let up and I had cleaned my drain tubes....well, it happened again, but only along the front driver pillar and the passenger rear pillar. And only in heavy downpours. It's as if it's just too much water at one time. It rained slow and steady all night the other day and there were NO leaks that day.

EDIT: I think I want to do the tube replacement. Anyone in LA wanna get together and try it?
    I'm interested. Mine leaks with heavy rain as well.
    Corsa Sport l 2" SW LTs l Magnaflow Resonators l New Era CAI l D3 Comp Springs l ZL1 Lid l 2.55/8.66 ATI l DW 90lb Injectors l Varimax HX Pump l Flex Fuel l Mamo LS7 TB l Ported Blower and Snout l Fore Fuel System
    Tuned by New Era Performance
    Best 1/4 10.90@129

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    '14 V Wagon 6MT

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Courtesy of ThunderCad:
    Hey everyone, I think I may have figured how to keep your Ultraview roof equipped CTS-V bone dry regardless of the cloudburst or carwash. I found a few threads here regarding cleaning the drain tubes. I picked up a rear derailleur cable instead of weed whacker line and sure enough, when I pulled the trunk trim from the driver's side and disconnected the drain tube about two cups of water emptied into a container I had ready. I pushed the 6 foot long cable up through both rear lines, pours cups of water and watched all four drains do what they're supposed to. Last weekend I did a spot check up the same area of the back seat with my hand like I have dozens of times before after rain and DAMN IT, another puddle, only six weeks after I cleared the lines.

Alright, so I pulled the trunk trim and again and sure enough, when I pulled the drain tube there was some water backed up. So I fed the cable first up the tube, then again down the rubber grommet the line plugs into. I notice this time resistance I hadn't before. I pulled the grommet from the rear wheel arc the sheet metal and, low and behold, the drain tube plugs into a rubber piece that seals flat. Some of you already knew this, but I quickly found a way to get around it. Have a look at the photo. I carefully turned the grommet upside down, (note the word TOP upside down on the grommet) then inserted the drain tube into the proper sized hole in the rubber piece, plugged with a red cap. I then put the cap into the hole designed for the drain tube and I now have a proper terminating drain tube. It turns out that technically it's not the drain tubes getting plugged up, but where they terminate getting clogged. Tale care to NOT pull down on the drain tube when relocating it to the other hole or you may risk disconnecting it from the sunroof drain. There is just enough tube to connect into the shallow hole when the grommet has been turned upside down first.

Once I swapped holes I poured a liter of water into the drain channel and it POURS out behind the rear wheel instead of dribbling. My guess is that the design is supposed to open just enough to allow drainage when the tube fill up halfway under the weight of the water, but after a few years the rubber hardens and it just can't keep up with clearing the water in time before it overflows the channels and does a number on the interior. You can honestly do both rear drains in less than minutes, without making make any cuts or mods to the grommet, and then never worry about rain or a carwash becoming a problem in the future.
    Mikeyboyeee likes this.
    '14 V Wagon 6MT

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    Courtesy of ThunderCad:
    Hey everyone, I think I may have figured how to keep your Ultraview roof equipped CTS-V bone dry regardless of the cloudburst or carwash. I found a few threads here regarding cleaning the drain tubes. I picked up a rear derailleur cable instead of weed whacker line and sure enough, when I pulled the trunk trim from the driver's side and disconnected the drain tube about two cups of water emptied into a container I had ready. I pushed the 6 foot long cable up through both rear lines, pours cups of water and watched all four drains do what they're supposed to. Last weekend I did a spot check up the same area of the back seat with my hand like I have dozens of times before after rain and DAMN IT, another puddle, only six weeks after I cleared the lines.

Alright, so I pulled the trunk trim and again and sure enough, when I pulled the drain tube there was some water backed up. So I fed the cable first up the tube, then again down the rubber grommet the line plugs into. I notice this time resistance I hadn't before. I pulled the grommet from the rear wheel arc the sheet metal and, low and behold, the drain tube plugs into a rubber piece that seals flat. Some of you already knew this, but I quickly found a way to get around it. Have a look at the photo. I carefully turned the grommet upside down, (note the word TOP upside down on the grommet) then inserted the drain tube into the proper sized hole in the rubber piece, plugged with a red cap. I then put the cap into the hole designed for the drain tube and I now have a proper terminating drain tube. It turns out that technically it's not the drain tubes getting plugged up, but where they terminate getting clogged. Tale care to NOT pull down on the drain tube when relocating it to the other hole or you may risk disconnecting it from the sunroof drain. There is just enough tube to connect into the shallow hole when the grommet has been turned upside down first.

Once I swapped holes I poured a liter of water into the drain channel and it POURS out behind the rear wheel instead of dribbling. My guess is that the design is supposed to open just enough to allow drainage when the tube fill up halfway under the weight of the water, but after a few years the rubber hardens and it just can't keep up with clearing the water in time before it overflows the channels and does a number on the interior. You can honestly do both rear drains in less than minutes, without making make any cuts or mods to the grommet, and then never worry about rain or a carwash becoming a problem in the future.
    Thanks. I've read where you posted this before. I have your posts bookmarked, lol.

Instead of weed whacked cable, I actually used a $5 bicycle brake/gear selector cable. It's SUPER strong and firm but easily bends to clear debris. Just went to my local bike shop and got a 5 or 6 footer. I think it's time to clean them again....however, I've never found where either front or rear tubes terminate.
    Hidden Content

Airaid w/ Green Filter, Ported LS7 TB, Vadder Destroyer HX, Varimax, Powder coated wheels with pretty black Gorilla lugs, MT ET SS 305/35/19's, PAC Nav Unlock, 2 Recaro Sport Child seats, and blacked out everything. Mod Pile: Ruskyab Detailed ZL1 lid (milled, ported, reinforced and painted), ID850's, Headers, WCCH (soon to be) ported heads, '11 fender vents, back-up camera, Blacked-out Headlights, 5K fogs.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Wagon, in wheel Wells, front and rear. Should be the same in sedans. Coupes, well coupes are in a whole different world.
    '14 V Wagon 6MT

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    sooooo, does anyone have good advice on how to get the liner down towards the rear without kinking it? Does the back seat need to come out? B pillars? C pillars? I'd really like to see if my tubes are connected to the drain pain, as I can push the string/wire in without a hassle.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    svh19044 likes this.
    '14 V Wagon 6MT

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Thanks!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Hope it all works for you!
    '14 V Wagon 6MT

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

false.

Hope it all works for you!
    It did not work out. At all. There is still just as bad a leak as ever.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I think I dated her!
    tinman likes this.
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    How is this not something Cadillac covers? I got a fuel pump upgrade on my 04 from GM 11 years after it was made but our way more expensive cars with leather interiors are no big deal? The letter from GM I got with my fuel pump upgrade made me want to stick with this carline even more. They said that v series owners are very important to them and they will always take extra care of them. My back seat just got a good wet down in the rain. Just hit 45k on this car. I would think this has happened enough times for them to step up. It's not like they made a million of them. Don't get me wrong. I love this car. So much that water inside it sucks!!
    Rant over. (For now)
    09 thunder gray sedan. D3 tune. Corsa exhaust.
    63 nova ss. 02 ls6, 4l60e. All the goodies. Daily driver
    And that's my slow car haha!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Just had this happen in my car. We've had some SERIOUS storms the past few days, I got in the car today, after having not driven it for a few days and the passenger side floor had about an inch of water, the seat was wet and my service airbag light was on. The back seat had some water on it too, but I don't see any place that it was leaking in the rear. I cleaned the front drains and pulled the A-pillar on the passenger side and dried up the carpet. We'll see what happens with this next round of storms.
    2010 A6 Sedan - Corsa Sport Exhaust, Ported Throttle Body and an Airaid, plus a pile of stuff in the garage waiting to go on.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyPSD View Post
    Just had this happen in my car. We've had some SERIOUS storms the past few days, I got in the car today, after having not driven it for a few days and the passenger side floor had about an inch of water, the seat was wet and my service airbag light was on. The back seat had some water on it too, but I don't see any place that it was leaking in the rear. I cleaned the front drains and pulled the A-pillar on the passenger side and dried up the carpet. We'll see what happens with this next round of storms.
    Yeah... the flooding has been really bad in Wilton down the road.

Mine hasn't seen the light of day since last Friday.

Hidden Content

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links