How pissed would you be? What would you do?
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: How pissed would you be? What would you do?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

How pissed would you be? What would you do?

So I just got my V back today after almost 3 months! I want to ask my fellow V owners and muscle car enthusiasts how mad they would be under the circumstances?

So back on Feb. 19th, I flew from San Francisco out to Spokane WA. to pick up my V(2010 Thunder Gray 4dr A6, 71K) and drive it home. Before agreeing to come out and making all the necessary arrangements and all the paper work, I had only 1 request of the dealer....make sure that this car will pass CA smog! The only other question was about the engine covers, that seemed to be missing from the photo's, which other than a New Era intake appeared to be stock. I was assured that they were in the trunk. So after working all night until 4 a.m. , I go straight to the airport and take 2 planes and arrive in Spokane at around 8 a.m.
    I'm picked up by the sales man, who is a nice guy and did his best. We get to the dealer and as soon as the car is pulled up, I notice that some thing doesn't sound right....as in too much sound. So I look under the car, no mufflers! Red flag ...yes. Now I'm questioning if I should just go back to the airport and go home, but I decide no big deal as I will probably replace the mufflers anyway. So I look at the rest of the car, which seems to be in very good condition. But the cheepy type mod does concern me. Test drive is fine, feels good, so we go back to do paperwork. I reiterate repeatedly, that all I want is the car to be able to pass CA smog.....oh and get me home of course.

So after driving home in a monsoon/tornado/hurricane/every death defying nature disaster ass conditions and escaping death 75 times, getting CEL the only 2 times I went WOT for 2 gears, I make it to Cali. Now I go and try to smog.... no luck....code still in there. Reset codes....drive more to reset monitors....no luck, monitors still wont reset. Drive some more....no luck again.....but now a ticking noise! Smog shop checks and says ticking is definitely internal and not S/C noise. Call the dealer and tell them something is really wrong...time to cash in on 60 day warranty! Bad news is I live in S.F and the only other affiliated dealer is in Concord (35 miles away) and is a Dodge store. They have to farm out work to the nearest Caddy store.

Drop off the car to the Dodge store, they send it to Caddy, who has a " 1-1/2 week" back log before they can even look at it. So 3 weeks later they finally start on it....need approval for this and that, I get it, I worked at a dealership for along time. They find out that the cam is toast, 3 more weeks for approval to repair. Warranty wants to replace with a used engine, but cant find one. Finally (Apr. 7th) the repair is finally approved
    .. not just a cam, bad lifters too and wiped out cam bearings...so its long block time. Still they don't want to shell out for a GM long block and keep trying to find a suitable used one, but cant. I finally get to the end of my rope and work with Austin Performance (mad props to Al) to spec a long block (with CNC heads and LS9 cam package) that is cheaper than any option that the warranty company has found, speak with both dealers and the warranty company to get them to sign on, only to find that the Caddy store has ordered a factory replacement....grrrr.

So they replace the engine with a crate long block...fine. But now that its time for me to get my car...they call and say, would you be willing to pay for a battery, because the car sat so long the battery died. I say that should be part of the warranty repair, but if I can get my car today, fine I'll pay for it. Oh wait after 2 month's the Dodge dealer doesn't have an account with the Caddy dealer so doesn't have a way to pay for it, so no car 4 me!!!! So finally today after a month of them trying to figure out how to pay the bill and after 3 weeks of "you will have the car for the weekend", I finally get it back..........Dirty......with a empty tank of gas.....and my key is now broken!
    WTF would you do?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Irritating to say the least especially not really being able to drive your new car much since you purchased it. I've broken off all ties with Dodge due to my latest warranty denial on my wife's car so nothing surprises me with Dodge. No more Vipers for me. I wouldn't want them to wash my car... especially the way I've seen dealers wash cars. The key fob.. I'd at least go about getting that fixed.

On the positive note... you do have a brand new OEM motor! (Which is going to be more reliable on a mildly modified car in the long run on average.)
    neuronbob likes this.
    2009 CTS-V Sedan (ZR1 Cam, Catless X Pipe,..)
    **Previous 5 Cars**
    2016 S3 (Stage 2)
    2002 TA WS6
    1996 Viper GTS
    2004 Viper SRT10
    2006 Z06 Supercharged (800HP)
    2008 GT500

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I would fill the tank, clean it and Get a new key on your own dime and start enjoying the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    Kooks LT w/cats stock muffs
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post
    I would fill the tank, clean it and Get a new key on your own dime and start enjoying the car.

This. Having been thru a ton of shit with my car - a broken key and bad battery are TINY issues. I'd be WAY more concerned with whether or not they put the engine back together right, if the got all the bolts and fasteners and seals done properly. I had an engine remove/replace by a Caddy dealer and I can tell you that going over the car with a fine tooth comb I found countless fasteners missing. Some mechanical, some just those little push pin style that hold the plastics together. But the point is they missed a TON of stuff. Don't sweat the obvious things that you can easily see - just fix those, your sanity is worth more than they cost. Worry about them putting that nice, brand new OEM engine in there right. BTW - as others said, it's pretty cool you have a brand new motor. I'd be thrilled about getting a new factory motor for free. Fuck the key and battery - seriously! Get a new key, whatever the cost...I know they aren't cheap. Get a top end battery that will never leave you stranded, and give the car a nice detail. Honestly - I'd pay a reputable detailer for that, too so that you aren't mad while cleaning her up. Get her polished up, waxed, paint corrected, coated/sealed - whatever will make it perfect for you. Then enjoy!!

Should you have expected better? Absolutely! I don't think any of us are defending how it went down. But in the bigger picture, you made out pretty well, and I could get over those small items given all that. Sounds like the former owner didn't treat the car well, honestly. A new engine is exactly what it needed as you would be fighting problems for who knows how long. The trans is easy to swap/rebuild and that's your only other "major" complex mechanical item. Most other items are easier. Now you SHOULD go over the supercharger carefully given all the other issues. If you can get that swapped (did it come with the replacement engine or did they use your old one?) I would do that and hell...upper pulley, injectors, and tune. And maybe flex fuel. Woo hoo!
    2014 OBM/Titanium CTS-V Wagon "The Blue Whale"
    Auto, All Options, Interior 100% stock.
    Custom touches here and there...needs driver mod badly!
    7xx to 8xx rwhp

2015 Audi SQ5 Prestige Glacier White Metallic + Gloss Piano Black trim "Snow White"
    Black leather interior, 8 Spd ZF Auto, all options
    Pulley and tune
    21" RS6 wheels /Super Sport 285's all around / Lowered on KW's

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by blaine321 View Post
    Irritating to say the least especially not really being able to drive your new car much since you purchased it. I've broken off all ties with Dodge due to my latest warranty denial on my wife's car so nothing surprises me with Dodge. No more Vipers for me. I wouldn't want them to wash my car... especially the way I've seen dealers wash cars. The key fob.. I'd at least go about getting that fixed.

On the positive note... you do have a brand new OEM motor! (Which is going to be more reliable on a mildly modified car in the long run on average.)
    As much as they all suck... You do have a brand new long block.. I'd have to say that evens out the fustration you have had to deal with.
    Wrecked Em likes this.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Gotta say, it sounds like for all your trouble, you came out wayyyyyy ahead.

Enjoy the car.

679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Which dealer did you purchase from in Spokomton, I'll go piss on the front door for ya. Seriously, I watch the V market pretty close and the I have only seen two here for sale, one BD sedan auto and one black sedan auto with meth and other mods.
    Heavily modified exterior, stock Recaro seats, stock LSA-for now.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Tl;DR
    2009 CTS-V 6MT w/Recaro's, AirAid intake, Eibach Springs & electric cutouts

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Spend the $300 on a tank of gas, new fob and a car wash and enjoy your $10,000 free repair.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by blubyu View Post
    Spend the $300 on a tank of gas, new fob and a car wash and enjoy your $10,000 free repair.
    Rinsed her off last night, filled up this morning and put the exhaust on this afternoon! Now I need a key and the side engine covers.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    You guys are right....I guess after dreaming about driving this beast for 3 months I got pretty upset not being able to. Now I have to restrain myself during the break in period, but the more I drive it, the more I realize it was worth the wait and my pissedoffedness is subsiding quickly!
    Wrecked Em likes this.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Oh but wait there's more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Now after 1-1/2 days of having my super toy back and a couple of part throttle tip in's thru 1st- 2nd gear only..............."Service Power Steering" pops up! WTF, this bullshit is about to start all over again!???????????????? FML with an AIR HAMMER!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Could just be low fluid. They probably disconnected the power steering lines at some point and never rechecked the level. Small worry dude, easy check and fix.
    neuronbob likes this.
    2009 CTS V Black Raven Sedan, M6, Recaro's, Ultraview
    Stage 0.6 Airaid CAI, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, Kooks catted xpipe, stock mufflers, Mamofied LS7, NGK TR6, SM Dual CC, 160F stat, Dynojet tuned by Dave @dasilvamotorsport, SAE 526hp/508tq/91oct

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown376 View Post
    Could just be low fluid. They probably disconnected the power steering lines at some point and never rechecked the level. Small worry dude, easy check and fix.
    This. Don't freak out - a full engine swap invariably means a LOT of stuff got disconnected and reconnected. Most likely it is something simple. You got a whole new engine so working out a few post-install issues isn't uncommon. Keep your head up...youll get it all sorted soon and have a close to brand new V at a honey of a deal.
    7xx to 8xx rwhp

2015 Audi SQ5 Prestige Glacier White Metallic + Gloss Piano Black trim "Snow White"
    Pulley and tune

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Emotions are high in this one.

You kinda own some culpability here by buying a modded V when your goal was that it must pass CA emissions.

Don't EVER trust a used car salesman!!

Mikeyboyeee likes this.
    679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post

Don't EVER trust a used car salesman!!

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...nLLChU6NTmw3pg

Except from this guy!
    Last edited by Blown376; 05-20-2017 at 10:08 AM.
    2009 CTS V Black Raven Sedan, M6, Recaro's, Ultraview
    Stage 0.6 Airaid CAI, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, Kooks catted xpipe, stock mufflers, Mamofied LS7, NGK TR6, SM Dual CC, 160F stat, Dynojet tuned by Dave @dasilvamotorsport, SAE 526hp/508tq/91oct

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    That is what a warranty is for.

A little known fact is they are supposed to extend your warranty with the down time.

I would never buy a used car over $25k without a warranty.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Well the power steering fluid didn't work. Still very heavy and getting the Service notification. No leaks. No luck.
    Window washer fluid was low too. Lol
    But on A positive note, I gave her a nice wash and wax today!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcore4sure View Post
    Well the power steering fluid didn't work. Still very heavy and getting the Service notification. No leaks. No luck.
    Window washer fluid was low too. Lol
    But on A positive note, I gave her a nice wash and wax today!
    Power steering pump is turning tho right? Still likely it's something simple. They swapped the engine, I'm sure they can handle this...
    7xx to 8xx rwhp

Pulley and tune

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    maybe I'm in the minority here but i'd demand them to make it right. this sounds like pretty crappy service

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Don't forget to check the blinker fluid. You'd think dealers would remember this as all sorts of rough idles and flux capacitors in limp mode are caused from it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I worked at a Chevy/Caddy/GM dealer for 8 years I'm well aware of everything that supposed to happen and what actually does happen. But considering I had been in contact with the service writer over the course of the 3 months and he was well aware of the situation and how bad I was getting dicked around, even if I hadn't bought the car from them (not that it should matter) this was a perfect opportunity to go the extra mile and possibly earn the business of a lifetime loyal GM owner.

I mean hell we used to wash cars for people getting their oil changed, let alone a job that took 3 months and cost almost $20k total. Now i'm going to double check everything tomorrow, oil ,trans fluid, blinker fluid, muffler bearings, differentialator, flux capacitor...all of it.

Yes the power steering seems to still work a little but it is very heavy.
    Last edited by hardcore4sure; 05-21-2017 at 12:06 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    You got crappy service, OP....but got a free long block. $10k of free work...I'd deal with the little stuff. The steering fluid is a minor issue, should be easily corrected. Just believe me....this gen of CTS-V is *dead reliable*, almost Honda-reliable, unless something major is done to it....and something was obviously done to this car by a previous owner. I've owned two from new, one modded, and have had mostly minor, annoyance issues.

I promise, you'll get to enjoy your car. It'll be all good, you'll hear American bald eagles every time you accelerate!

Cavs, 2016 NBA CHAMPS! The drought is over...
    Delivered 12/13/2012: 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Opulent Blue/Ebony 6MT/Ultraview/Satin Graphite wheels/yellow calipers/Stainless Works catback exhaust/KPE-Airaid intake
    Retired: 2009 CTS-V Sedan, Radiant Silver/Ebony auto/nav/Ultraview
    --My videos: Hidden Content ...Hidden Content ...Hidden Content ... Hidden Content

Vendor
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Just go over the basics and fluids your self, wash it and enjoy the piece of mind the fresh GM longblock gives you vs the almost imminent disaster modding the motor it came with would have been

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt1z View Post
    Just go over the basics and fluids your self, wash it and enjoy the piece of mind the fresh GM longblock gives you vs the almost imminent disaster modding the motor it came with would have been
    Absolutely, had I made our appt. I'm sure I would have already blown this thing up and been really pissed. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to have a new engine, and very fortunate to have had this happen sooner than later while I still had the initial warranty. So in the end it's just a little salt in the wound, but not the full dismemberment it could have been.
    With that being said I am so impressed with pretty much every aspect of the CTSV, and being back in the seat of GM muscle again I have to say even in stock form this thing feels like a rocket with all that instant torque! I can't imagine the smile an extra 150-200hp will put on my face and the adrenaline rush I'll have So am I irked, yes, I want to spend my seat time not worrying that something is always about to take a shit. But I'm getting over it more and more every time I hear the S/C wind up!
    Lt1z likes this.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Your way to nice. After week 2 I'd be going for a buy back. Fuck them on this one
    12 coupe with man pedal. 683hp/689tq on 93

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Holy smokes. You're impressing with how you're dealing with this. Lesser folk would blow their top! Hope you're documenting all of the communications so that no one tries anything funny.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by anoopay View Post
    Holy smokes. You're impressing with how you're dealing with this. Lesser folk would blow their top! Hope you're documenting all of the communications so that no one tries anything funny.
    Well don't give me too much credit, a homicidal rampage did cross my mind after month #2 and missing my vroomy vroomy Birthday drive day!
    ccady likes this.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I'm not quite in the same boat but I got to drive my V just under a month then dropped it off at the dealer, which is going on 5 weeks now of not having my new car as well. With the parts delay I am expecting to be without it for about 2.5 months. While I can't quite agree with these guys telling you not to sweat the small stuff after getting a replacement engine, I do understand where they are coming from. I'd be thankful you have a warranty to cover this but the minor details with payment and unneeded delays are just bullshit. I'd not have handled this as well as you have at all and would have basically done everything I could to make the dealer buy the car back. I doubt you'd get anywhere because dealers are crooks, but you may have felt better wasting their time at least. The dealer who sold me my car blamed Gm, then Cadillac, then the car, then me for the dead rear end. Pretty sickening to know I have made two payments on the car and haven't gotten to drive it but a few weeks....
    2014 Black Raven A6 Sedan

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylos View Post
    I'm not quite in the same boat but I got to drive my V just under a month then dropped it off at the dealer, which is going on 5 weeks now of not having my new car as well. With the parts delay I am expecting to be without it for about 2.5 months. While I can't quite agree with these guys telling you not to sweat the small stuff after getting a replacement engine, I do understand where they are coming from. I'd be thankful you have a warranty to cover this but the minor details with payment and unneeded delays are just bullshit. I'd not have handled this as well as you have at all and would have basically done everything I could to make the dealer buy the car back. I doubt you'd get anywhere because dealers are crooks, but you may have felt better wasting their time at least. The dealer who sold me my car blamed Gm, then Cadillac, then the car, then me for the dead rear end. Pretty sickening to know I have made two payments on the car and haven't gotten to drive it but a few weeks....
    That sucks man, sorry to hear it.
    I did get pissed enough to give them an ultimatum to fix it by my birthday or keep it, unfortunately they did approve the repair and start it in time to get it done by my birthday, only to find out the cam bearings were toast which basically necessitated a new engine. That prolonged my
    patience to allow time for the new engine. Ironically the installation actually took less time to complete then the dealer setting up the account to pay for the replacement....oh and the new battery.
    The incompetence is spread all over. I'm just glad they didn't start trying to blame me like they did to you, that would have pissed me the fuck off and would have definitely changed my approach from patient and understanding to hell on wheels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links