Removing my clear bra, tips and advise please - Page 2
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Removing my clear bra, tips and advise please

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottcane View Post
    Great video of the steamer removal! Looks like the clear bra did the job of protecting your paint!
    It really did but I would tell everyone I know considering one to stay away as its a bitch to remove. Last week I finally removed the clear bra from the bumper and the adhesive. Gave me a good chance to remove the bumper and redo the grill and change out the fog HID's to 5k.
    2009 CTS-V 6MT w/Recaro's, AirAid intake, Eibach Springs & electric cutouts

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Stay away, because it did what it was supposed to? I guess I'm confused...

After 8 years, and almost 20,000 miles you're left with paint that looks immaculate. The few hours of your time it took to remove the film is somehow MORE valuable to you than not having a front end that's peppered in rock chips and dings?

As soon as clear bra begins to loose its gloss, it's time to take it off. The amount of time/mileage between new installation and when it's time to pull it off varies with how the car is stored, sun exposure, and how often its driven.

Simply going by what you've posted so far in this thread, it seems to me that the film was probably left on a bit longer than it should have been, which any installer will tell you that makes it more difficult to remove.

Maybe I'm the crazy one, but if I were you, I'd take the car straight back to a PPF installer and have the entire front end re-filmed. To me, your thread is more of a testament to how well it worked, than anything else.
    2012 BDT COUPE M6, 490/470, AIRAID, SW CAT BACK, Mamo TB, Core Shifter, V2V, Cut Eibachs, SunTek PPF, Dipped Wheels, More to come.........

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmundGTP View Post
    Stay away, because it did what it was supposed to? I guess I'm confused...

After 8 years, and almost 20,000 miles you're left with paint that looks immaculate. The few hours of your time it took to remove the film is somehow MORE valuable to you than not having a front end that's peppered in rock chips and dings?

As soon as clear bra begins to loose its gloss, it's time to take it off. The amount of time/mileage between new installation and when it's time to pull it off varies with how the car is stored, sun exposure, and how often its driven.

Simply going by what you've posted so far in this thread, it seems to me that the film was probably left on a bit longer than it should have been, which any installer will tell you that makes it more difficult to remove.

Maybe I'm the crazy one, but if I were you, I'd take the car straight back to a PPF installer and have the entire front end re-filmed. To me, your thread is more of a testament to how well it worked, than anything else.
    It certainly did its job however I do not wish the removal process on anyone. It took more like a week (a couple hours each day) to remove the bra and adhesive plus a ton of chemicals. Does the paint look great now sure but I would rather pay to have parts of the car repainted than have to see the ugly clear bra and the lines it leaves on the car. It was for sure kept on too long but for the money it costs to put on a clear bra you can have the bumper, fenders and hood painted without all the other trouble I went through.
    SHhhhh likes this.
    2009 CTS-V 6MT w/Recaro's, AirAid intake, Eibach Springs & electric cutouts

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I took some parts in to have Hydro dipped, and the guy that owns the place said they have to remove clear bras sometime and they use an IR light, kind of works like a micro wave, warms it from the inside/out. I have never tried this, so it is just my comment.
    2017 CTS-V on Order (mid April)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links