Tips for my 2013 Coupe becoming a DD
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By dbest671
  • 1 Post By Octopiston

Thread: Tips for my 2013 Coupe becoming a DD

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

Tips for my 2013 Coupe becoming a DD

Well it looks like soon I will need to drive my 2013 coupe a lot more (almost daily). It currently has less than 19K miles and is in mint condition. It has mainly been a toy and garage queen. So I was just wondering if anyone can give me any advice on things to be aware of with DD a "V" except that I will be spending more money on gas...LOL But maybe from a maintenance perspective, etc...when it becomes a DD...thanks.
    2013 CTSV Coupe
    M6, Recaro seats, Red calipers, AFL, EPB, Alcantara Steering wheel/shift knob, Corsa axle-back exhaust, 20in Vossen CV3R wheels, Pirelli P Zero tires 255/305, Eibach Pro Kit springs, Xpel Clear bra & Ceramic Pro

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Nothing? Drive it, it's not a track spec only car. Gas, rubber, brakes, do oil changes on time and smile every day you drive to work and home!
    Current mods
    Lt1z stage 2 cam - johnson lifters - Dynospeed 4.5 intake/Green filter - Mamo LS7 ported TB - ARH headers and x-pipe to stock mufflers - Weapon X Track attack HX - weaponX carbon fiber spoiler and side blades - Varimax HX pump - NGK afx wide band - 2.45 Griptech upper - ATI lower 8.8 ring - Green belt - idler pulley - Id850s, Zl1 lid - NGK TR7ix - MSD wires - Mighty mouse catch can - BMR ice box - Side Swipe -
    160ish or 170 thermostat- Tuned.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Don't know what your commute is, but it gets tiresome filling up the tank every other day. Tires wear will be a bitch. So my advice is to add the cost of gas, tires, oil changes, and the other odds-n-ends with DD and see if you could buy a cheap decent beater. I did the math last week, and yep I bought a beater to DD (partly because they salt roads here too). My beater will be paid for in less than a year with the gas money I'll save. But I'm retired and don't need to "keep up appearance" as IDGAF what people think about my ride. I would probably be worried if I pulled up and saw my doctor or dentist driving a 25 yr old $800 civic LOL.
    Mikeyboyeee and MYV like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Don't forget to factor in the cost of insuring said beater, plus double maintenance, tires, tags, and inspection for 2 vehicle.

As stated. There are no special things that the V needs to daily. Just drive it.
    MYV likes this.
    3/4 race cam in a 'Vette engine, roller muffler bearings, extra back pressure for more torque, traction bars, cross drilled brake lines, low profile tires, and dual whistle tips.... WOOO WOOOO!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Octopiston View Post
    Don't forget to factor in the cost of insuring said beater, plus double maintenance, tires, tags, and inspection for 2 vehicle.

As stated. There are no special things that the V needs to daily. Just drive it.

You need a beater!!!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

Insurance is nothing compared to the V. Double maintenance... I just bought a beater (even has working A/C and heater LOL) for the cost of two rear tires on V. Tags, $24/year... tags on the V are free. And I live in podunk TN... no inspections for me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I own a 2014 Coupe, plus I still have my aftermarket-supercharged 2002 Z06, plus my 2010 EVO X GSR, plus my 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Diesel. Each car is good at something the others aren't. They get driven as conditions and driving objectives demand. But I have tended to drive the V whenever conditions permit. I have snow tires on the car now. It's actually not bad in the snow with decent tires. I work from home now, which cut my gasoline bill by about $300/month, and my tire bill by about $1500/year. For the first 2 years of service, though, I drove the V almost every day, 20 miles each way, to and from work. It's a great daily driver. Just get in it and drive.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I don't worry too much about the costs of a hobby versus that of having a much less enjoyable, and less expensive hobby. It's just simply: I can afford this hobby, or I can't. So I drive my V Wagon daily - and enjoy the waves, thumbs-up and occasional notes on my windshield asking me to call someone about the Wagon as a consequence of apparently having a cool hobby.

But, with that said we're all different, and sometimes people enjoy their hobby more as a display piece of perfection, versus something more along the lines of an object worn through with the patina of a long, interesting history of use (and increased expense). Almost like stock or modded...

No matter what you do or decide, don't forget to enjoy the ride!
    Please enjoy my personal testing of common performance modifications, and as always: your mileage may vary!

Comparison Threads:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BADMOON View Post
    You need a beater!!!!
    I need a truck for when I need to haul crap, but from past experience it sucks seeing all the fast cars when you are in the turd.
    3/4 race cam in a 'Vette engine, roller muffler bearings, extra back pressure for more torque, traction bars, cross drilled brake lines, low profile tires, and dual whistle tips.... WOOO WOOOO!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    If you haven't already done so get a clear bra put on it ASAP! Arizona roads eat paint. Mine didn't have a single rock chip and after 5,000 miles it is trashed...

I really WISH I had done so for mine when I bought it.
    2013 OBM CTS-V Coupe
    Mods: Billy Boat Exhaust, Stoptech Drilled & Slotted Rotors, EBC Redstuff, Cut Stock Springs, 6K HID Fogs, Full ATS-V Emblem Conversion, Full LED Conversion
    2006 Black Raven STS-V (Traded In)
    Fully Modded: 459RWHP@5888rpm/451lbft@4696rpm

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by t.j.t View Post
    Nothing? Drive it, it's not a track spec only car. Gas, rubber, brakes, do oil changes on time and smile every day you drive to work and home!
    Yeah kind of what I was thinking...so it sounds like no issues as well as you take care of it which I already do.

Quote Originally Posted by dbest671 View Post
    Don't know what your commute is, but it gets tiresome filling up the tank every other day. Tires wear will be a bitch. So my advice is to add the cost of gas, tires, oil changes, and the other odds-n-ends with DD and see if you could buy a cheap decent beater. I did the math last week, and yep I bought a beater to DD (partly because they salt roads here too). My beater will be paid for in less than a year with the gas money I'll save. But I'm retired and don't need to "keep up appearance" as IDGAF what people think about my ride. I would probably be worried if I pulled up and saw my doctor or dentist driving a 25 yr old $800 civic LOL.
    I did this before when I owned a 911 TT. I had a Lexus lease as my daily...what I found was every time I was in the Lexus some bad ass car would pull up next to me...DAMN! And I got tired of dual insurance, etc...each day as I pulled up to my garage and there sat my 911 under the cover.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of insuring said beater, plus double maintenance, tires, tags, and inspection for 2 vehicle. As stated. There are no special things that the V needs to daily. Just drive it.
    I hear you...good points...see response above.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketSled View Post
    I own a 2014 Coupe, plus I still have my aftermarket-supercharged 2002 Z06, plus my 2010 EVO X GSR, plus my 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Diesel. Each car is good at something the others aren't. They get driven as conditions and driving objectives demand. But I have tended to drive the V whenever conditions permit. I have snow tires on the car now. It's actually not bad in the snow with decent tires. I work from home now, which cut my gasoline bill by about $300/month, and my tire bill by about $1500/year. For the first 2 years of service, though, I drove the V almost every day, 20 miles each way, to and from work. It's a great daily driver. Just get in it and drive.
    Right now my commute is around 25 round trip...but we are looking at moving and that could increase...will be more fun (time in the V each day) but as you stated more expensive due to fuel, maintenance and tires.

Quote Originally Posted by random84 View Post
    I don't worry too much about the costs of a hobby versus that of having a much less enjoyable, and less expensive hobby. It's just simply: I can afford this hobby, or I can't. So I drive my V Wagon daily - and enjoy the waves, thumbs-up and occasional notes on my windshield asking me to call someone about the Wagon as a consequence of apparently having a cool hobby. But, with that said we're all different, and sometimes people enjoy their hobby more as a display piece of perfection, versus something more along the lines of an object worn through with the patina of a long, interesting history of use (and increased expense). Almost like stock or modded...
    No matter what you do or decide, don't forget to enjoy the ride!
    All good points...I bought the V to own another nice fast car...might as well enjoy it right?

Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post
    If you haven't already done so get a clear bra put on it ASAP! Arizona roads eat paint. Mine didn't have a single rock chip and after 5,000 miles it is trashed...I really WISH I had done so for mine when I bought it.
    Thanks for the advice but it is the first thing I do to every car I own (see sig). So I think OUR V is in great shape and ready to hit the road even here in the AZ LOL
    2013 CTSV Coupe
    M6, Recaro seats, Red calipers, AFL, EPB, Alcantara Steering wheel/shift knob, Corsa axle-back exhaust, 20in Vossen CV3R wheels, Pirelli P Zero tires 255/305, Eibach Pro Kit springs, Xpel Clear bra & Ceramic Pro

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I'm driving my beater (DD before V) thru this winter and I've grown to slightly resent every morning commute without her... I am saving mine from this (mild) Michigan winter but she may see duty next winter while I work on aquiring a truck for myself and an SUV for the missus.

As you've seen, there's nothing that you need to prepare these cars for daily use, per se. Hell, we did 2400mi in the first ~54 hours or so of ownership!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    2012 BDT Sedan - Recaro's, Ultraview, A6 (>Hidden Content <)
    Stg 1 (as-purchased): Airaid, EE catchcan, 2.4", TR7IX, ported snout, Mamo LS7 TB, ID850's, ARH 1 7/8", Vadder Destroyer HX & CWA50 pump, ZL1 lid- 560rwhp/530rwtq SAE
    Stg 1.5: DMS Flexfuel sensor and fuel filter, reinforced brick and some purdy parts- TBD

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 94383Z71 View Post
    As you've seen, there's nothing that you need to prepare these cars for daily use, per se. Hell, we did 2400mi in the first ~54 hours or so of ownership!
    Very cool...thanks for sharing!
    2013 CTSV Coupe

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Other than the gas goes quickly nothing. Its not any worse than an SUV or other large powerful sedan though. That's the best part of these cars, they are perfect daily drivers.
    Currently slumming it in a Jeep SRT and watching Gen 3 V prices for my next car!

2011 CTS-V Coupe -WeaponX carbon fiber trim. (sold)

Originally Posted by WD2009CTSV
    1/2 tenth on the big end and a little more weight in the pocket. And that's like a sore dick, you just can't beat it!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I vote for buying a beater. I have a 2000 V6 Camaro. Its as base model and pathetic as possible, but it gets 30mpg highway and is completely reliable.
    2009 CTS-V - 2.4 upper, FIC1000, Airaid, Headers, Track Attack, PatG Tuned
    2013 Mustang GT - 430/400 11.90@116.7 SOLD
    1992 Mustang LX - 4.8/4L80e LSx Turbo project
    1966 Buick Riviera - 425ci Nailhead

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BDFabrizio View Post
    I vote for buying a beater. I have a 2000 V6 Camaro. Its as base model and pathetic as possible, but it gets 30mpg highway and is completely reliable.
    Might I ask why? The OP hasn't expressed any financial concerns over fueling the V and unless he's running a suuper soft street tire they're not THAT expensive for average DD mileage. Not like reliability is really an issue for the V either.

I'm currently driving a cheap beater that was my DD before. True, it was nice to save on winter tires this year (likely be buying them next year) and I saved it from the salt (but see above). Fuel bill is about a third of what the V costs, which is nice. But it will take more than the whole winter to save the $~650 turbo replacement I just busted my knuckles on a few months ago...don't think I wasn't pissed that that money could have been the better part of a flex fuel setup on the V that I'm still paying insurance on and wishing I was driving every time I fire up in the morning.

Caveats:
    1. I buy cars to drive and enjoy them, not as investments- when I have a daily driver I want to make it mine, not what I think future potential buyers want.
    2. Cars are my hobby, and part of that includes doing as much of my own maintenance as possible to offset costs (and it's part of the journey that I enjoy).
    3. I bought my car and garaged it before I was remotely done with the honeymoon phase, so I'm just bitter.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Stg 1 (as-purchased): Airaid, EE catchcan, 2.4", TR7IX, ported snout, Mamo LS7 TB, ID850's, ARH 1 7/8", Vadder Destroyer HX & CWA50 pump, ZL1 lid- 560rwhp/530rwtq SAE
    Stg 1.5: DMS Flexfuel sensor and fuel filter, reinforced brick and some purdy parts- TBD

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    A few years ago, I bought a Kia Rio 5 for our house in Florida, for my wife to drive instead of always driving the GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Turbo Diesel. This meant that sometimes I drove the Kia. It killed me to do it every time. My other cars have more HP in their wiper motors than the Kia had in its engine. Even though we lived in a fairly large city and I didn't know a lot of people, I always prayed that no one I knew would see me driving it. I told my wife that it "bruised my chi" to drive it.

In my experience, there are two basic types of car owners, the ones who view their high-end car as an investment, and the ones who view their high-end car as an amusement park ride. I'm in the latter category. I look for excuses to go for a ride. If I could get my cars inside, I'd drive from the living room sofa to the bathroom to take a leak. I don't look at the weather and say "this won't be good for the paint, I think I'll take the beater", I say "I wonder if it's too bad to drive in? I think I'll take her out for a spin and see". (and yes, I have gambled and lost and had to have my wife come out so we could drag the V home with the Pickup).

My winter beater is a 2010 EVO X which does absolutely amazingly well in the snow. It does not bruise my chi in the least to drive it. But it generally only gets driven when I know for sure the V won't handle the conditions, so it doesn't get driven all that much (though I did commute with it before I bought the V, since my 02Z06 is absolutely a no-go-zone if there's snow). Going on 7 years old now, the Evo only has 45K miles. The V is half that old and it's got the same mileage (and I work from home now!). I haven't driven the Vette much since I got the V, but I think it's clocked better than 125K of fun.

If you live where it snows a lot, even with snow tires, the V is not 100% reliable and another car more suited to severe conditions is warranted. But if you don't have to worry about climbing a 20% grade with 4" of snow on the road, the V will be good for everything else (with snow tires).
    Last edited by RocketSled; 01-17-2017 at 11:21 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketSled View Post
    In my experience, there are two basic types of car owners, the ones who view their high-end car as an investment, and the ones who view their high-end car as an amusement park ride. I'm in the latter category. I look for excuses to go for a ride. If I could get my cars inside, I'd drive from the living room sofa to the bathroom to take a leak.
    Now this made me laugh, and is a very good summation of my opinion. Totally using that bathroom line in the future!

And agreed, the V is not a true all-weather vehicle. I hope to have a truck similar to your one day, and would definitely DD that over the V when it's super icy or there's 5+ inches of snow outside. Hell, for me at that point it's as much about protecting it from other idiots on the road than inherent lack of ability from the car.

Sponsored Links