NPP (Dual Mode Exhaust) on a V2...
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: NPP (Dual Mode Exhaust) on a V2...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

NPP (Dual Mode Exhaust) on a V2...

So this might ruffle some feathers, but the thing I seriously miss the most about my Corvettes was the NPP exhaust. Quiet when I want, Loud when I want because I had it hooked to a radioshack switch lol. My car was straight piped when I bought it which is extremely annoying for me because I leave the house early, get home late, and it rattles the neighbors windows when i fire it up inside my garage. I can't imagine how bad it will be once I put 2" Longtubes on it.

So... I've been doing some looking around and I love Vadder's quad tips anyways so i'll be starting a project at the beginning of the year involving Gen5 ZL1 mufflers and the NPP in a box kit for Corvettes. It can be programmed to run off the Homelink buttons so you can select loud or quiet whenever. From looking at a LOT of pictures and doing some measuring on my friends stock ZL1 exhaust and it looks like the biggest issue is the angle that the tips come off the muffler itself and the length of pipe between the can and the bumper. I'll attach a pic and you can see they exit the can fairly straight and then bend when going to the bumper. I figure a little cutting, a lot of measuring, and a little welding I should be able to get them in their without much of a hassle. The biggest concern is fitting the cans, having the tips look like they should from the factory, and having the piping and cans not touch the "spare tire" well.

Input?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    In for updates!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by acblack View Post
    In for updates!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    It'll be a month or so before I get started on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    In for updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2011 CTS-V Coupe, Thunder Grey, 6 speed manual, Recaro's, Sunroof, Alcantara steering wheel/shifter, Airaid + Green Filter.

Web site... Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    In for updates. Loking to get exhaust by spring. c63 spoiled me with its LOUD stock bark.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Well its good to see there is interest in this haha. I totally thought I was going to get flamed over quad tips and wanting to make my car quieter.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Sorry for my ignorance but how is this different from cutouts? Reason I ask is I wanted to add cutouts but hear nothing but bad reviews on their reliability. I'm obviously not worried about quiet. Lol
    '13 BD Vagon, manual trans, recaros, alcantara, sunroof, yellow calipers.
    2.4 pulley, ID850's, headers and 3" full exhaust, Zl1 lid, ported LS7 TB, airraid w/ green filter, varimax, track attack hx, catch can and custom icebox.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrdriver View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance but how is this different from cutouts? Reason I ask is I wanted to add cutouts but hear nothing but bad reviews on their reliability. I'm obviously not worried about quiet. Lol
    In some cases not much. It really depends on what the two different paths thru the muffler do. Some of them ARE just a full bypass so not really different than cutouts. Others do have subtle differences.

From an actuation standpoint - cutouts are either open or shut. Most of these dual mode systems have some kind of programming that varies the amount of bypass automatically.
    2014 OBM/Titanium CTS-V Wagon "The Blue Whale"
    Auto, All Options, block and interior still 100% stock.
    Power Hood, Forgelines, Black Moon's rocker blades, fancy tires
    Other custom touches here and there...
    556whp

2015 Audi SQ5 Prestige Glacier White Metallic + Gloss Piano Black trim "Snow White"
    Black leather interior, 8 Spd ZF Auto, all options
    APR Pulley and Tune
    21" RS6 wheels /Super Sport 285's all around / Lowered on KW's

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTinMan View Post
    So this might ruffle some feathers, but the thing I seriously miss the most about my Corvettes was the NPP exhaust. Quiet when I want, Loud when I want because I had it hooked to a radioshack switch lol. My car was straight piped when I bought it which is extremely annoying for me because I leave the house early, get home late, and it rattles the neighbors windows when i fire it up inside my garage. I can't imagine how bad it will be once I put 2" Longtubes on it.

So... I've been doing some looking around and I love Vadder's quad tips anyways so i'll be starting a project at the beginning of the year involving Gen5 ZL1 mufflers and the NPP in a box kit for Corvettes. It can be programmed to run off the Homelink buttons so you can select loud or quiet whenever. From looking at a LOT of pictures and doing some measuring on my friends stock ZL1 exhaust and it looks like the biggest issue is the angle that the tips come off the muffler itself and the length of pipe between the can and the bumper. I'll attach a pic and you can see they exit the can fairly straight and then bend when going to the bumper. I figure a little cutting, a lot of measuring, and a little welding I should be able to get them in their without much of a hassle. The biggest concern is fitting the cans, having the tips look like they should from the factory, and having the piping and cans not touch the "spare tire" well.

Input?

Uhhh can someone explain to me where the hell this car is? balancing on..........what?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TriTexan
    In some cases not much. It really depends on what the two different paths thru the muffler do. Some of them ARE just a full bypass so not really different than cutouts. Others do have subtle differences.

From an actuation standpoint - cutouts are either open or shut. Most of these dual mode systems have some kind of programming that varies the amount of bypass automatically.
    What TriTexan said. Cut outs are either open or closed and this is essentially how it would be run on the CTS-V because it doesn't have the full module that the Camaro and Corvette have. Cut outs can be quite unreliable so hopefully I don't run into the same issues with the factory mufflers off a ZL1 and the NPP in a box kit. I've never seen anybody on the CorvetteForum having any issues with it. Here is a diagram showing how the muffler works. The red line is for the nonvalved tip. You see it comes into the muffler, goes completely around the muffler, then exits when the valve is closed because its the path of least resistance. When the valve is open the green line becomes effective and the exhaust gasses go into the muffler and straight out the tip. The straight through pipe is perforated in the older "Bi-mode" exhaust from the early Z06, i'm sure its the same way on the newer cars too for sound purposes, but Idk to what extent it is perforated on the ZL1. The last picture is of the Gen 6 Camaro.

Wrecked Em likes this.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by thundergreybeard View Post
    Uhhh can someone explain to me where the hell this car is? balancing on..........what?
    I have no idea what its balanced on, but I want one because it would make working on the bottom of the car super easy haha.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Thanks for the explanation gentlemen. I'd love to see you get this working. What drives the actuators? Vacuum or 12v?
    '13 BD Vagon, manual trans, recaros, alcantara, sunroof, yellow calipers.
    2.4 pulley, ID850's, headers and 3" full exhaust, Zl1 lid, ported LS7 TB, airraid w/ green filter, varimax, track attack hx, catch can and custom icebox.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Thanks for the explanation gentlemen. I'd love to see you get this working. What drives the actuators? Vacuum or 12v?
    Vacuum drives the actuators. In a normal setup say on a Corvette like mine, with the fuse in the system the actuators are closed at startup, open at 2800rpm WOT, and open at 3500rpm under any throttle. The NPP in a box was designed for C6 Corvettes that didn't come factory with NPP. Essentially add the mufflers, add the kit, have NPP, but it doesn't have the functions above. Its just open or closed off a switch which is fine with me because I hardwired my C6 on a switch anyways. Quiet in the early mornings/late nights in my neighborhood and loud when cruising and playing. There really is no performance to be gained from doing this. Its just personal preference. I hate the fact that my car came with straight pipes because in all honesty its annoyingly loud at all times and It doesn't sound all that great. This should give a better tone and essentially cutouts.

*edit*
    If you wanted the functions that come factory from a Corvette i'm sure you could always wire a Hobbs switch to open them under boost or a WOT switch as well. For me thats not really necessary as I don't care about that function which is why I bypassed it on my Corvettes. Also from my understanding vacuum keeps the valves closed, no vacuum means open. In theory you could skip the NPP in a box, run the vacuum from the engine to the exhaust and anytime you're in vacuum for 3-5 seconds the valves close, out of vacuum valves open.
    Last edited by TheTinMan; 12-08-2016 at 02:34 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    In for updates.
    2012 red wagon, 6speed, recaros, kooks header and x pipe, fic1000's, metco 2.4 upper, new era CAI, fasterproms block off plates and expansion tank, dw300c pumps and flex sensor, formato tuned on E60 put down 667whp 682wtq

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I was looking into this also. Maybe you will have more luck I got stymied because any muffs I could find were $500 a pair used plus I am not excited about screwing up my bumper cover.
    '12 V Wagon, M6, CRT, Recaros, chrome wheels, no sun roof
    '68 Ford Bronco (have to drive something in the snow)
    '68 Corvette 427 (basic 11 second street car)
    '60 Corvette 283/250hp restoration in progress

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    This a great idea. Don't think you're ruffling anyone's feathers. Especially if your car is a DD. Please keep us posted.

Always loved the way quad tips look as well, so I'm curious to see it on the V.
    Radiant Silver 2009 Sedan

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Is this car on a fucking rotisserie? OMG....
    Hidden Content

Airaid w/ Green Filter, Ported LS7 TB, Ruskiyab ZL1 lid (milled, ported, reinforced and detailed), Vadder Destroyer HX, LPE Varimax, 5K fogs, Powder coated wheels with pretty black Gorilla lugs, MT ET SS 305/35/19's, PAC Nav Unlock, 2 Recaro Sport Child seats, and blacked out everything. Mod Pile: ID850's, Headers, WCCH (soon to be) ported heads, '11 fender vents, back-up camera, Blacked-out Headlights.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    In for updates; keep up the good work and thanks for the pics.
    2013 CTS-V Wagon,TG,MN6,Recaro's,SG wheels/Red Brembo's, D3 sway bars, Whiteline & Creative-Steel bushings, GM Export Differential cooler, Weapon X Track Attack HE, CF Sleeper hood, front splitter and side skirts. Halltech intake, VMax ported TB, Sideswipe & Pocket Protector.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I want this.
    11.0@127.9 mph e85 610whp■11.4@123.5 mph 93 569whp■CAI, 2.5 , ID850, flex fuel on street tires

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    The car is on stands that bolt in place of the wheels and use a hoist type system to roll the car on it's side. We have 2 that we use for shows. Pretty cool but I wouldn't be willing to work on a car that's set up on one, it's not quite that stable. I can't post a picture since I'm new but just google image search BMR PRI and you'll see a bunch of pictures of our setup.

As far as the exhaust, I really wish they had this option from the factory. The new 6th gen Camaro sounds great with the exhaust open. I'm definitely interested in seeing what you come up with.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I'll keep people updated. I'll probably order the stuff on the first and start cutting.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    in for updates

Vendor
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Might be a lot easier to make C7/sixth gen stuff work. I'm working on a controller that can activate the valves on those applications (they're electronic and not vacuum actuated).
    Lt1z likes this.
    Dedicated Motorsports - Austin, TX
    Hidden Content
    DSX Tuning - Personal projects
    Hidden Content
    Injector Dynamics dealer/supporter/lemming - The Flex Fuel Guy
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Might be a lot easier to make C7/sixth gen stuff work. I'm working on a controller that can activate the valves on those applications (they're electronic and not vacuum actuated).
    The sixth gen Camaro is a no go as its one very large muffler that spans the entire rear of the car as seen below.

As for the C7 exhaust I haven't looked much into it, however the cans are substantially larger than that of the ZL1 and also a LOT more pricey. ($500 for one side C7 NPP vs $500 for a complete NPP ZL1 exhaust). Either would require about the same amount of work, the piping on the ZL1 mufflers needs changed vs the entire can on the C7 would have to be cut down to fit and the tips would have to be angled.

As much as I would love to have the newer actuators, the ZL1 is still the easier and cheaper option. The cans, a little cutting and welding, and the NPP in a box kits for the C6 Corvette and you're all set. The NPP in a box comes with the "Mild to wild" controller as well, but it can also be hooked to the homelink switches in the V2.

Vendor
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I'm referring to just the valves. The V bumper isn't really intended for dual tip unfortunately.
    Dedicated Motorsports - Austin, TX
    Hidden Content
    DSX Tuning - Personal projects
    Hidden Content
    Injector Dynamics dealer/supporter/lemming - The Flex Fuel Guy
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    I'm referring to just the valves. The V bumper isn't really intended for dual tip unfortunately.
    Just replacing the vacuum actuators with electronic ones i'll have to look into. I'll be cutting the bumper on my V for the quad tips.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    i saw this cts in the dealer, someone has done it already but in a v6 that plastic part looks like it's from GM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NPP (Dual Mode Exhaust) on a V2...-image2-4-.jpg NPP (Dual Mode Exhaust) on a V2...-image1-2-.jpg
    2012 Red Sedan - 6A - 2.4 pulley - TA HX - ZL1 pump - ID850 - TestPipes - Corsa sport - KW coilovers - AG Wheels M590

jrV
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    In for the tips but not just the tips.
    - 2011 TGC Sedan | A6 | Recaro's | Ultraview | Suede
    - 2015 Suzuki GSXR 1000

- Hmm, upgrades: AIRAID CAI w/green filter | Mamo Ported TB | Elite Engineering Catch Can | DSX Flex Fuel Kit/Filter/Aux Fuel Pump Kit | ZL1 Lid | Fluidyne T-Rex HX | Varimax HX pump | Solid iso | Kook's Headers w/green cats | 2.4" upper | 100mm idler | ID1300's | TR7's | LTZ1 stg 2.5 cam | Pat G Tuned
    - WTB: Ported TFS Heads | Ported blower/snout/102mmTB | Weld RT-S S71's and DR's

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I love the dual-mode exhaust on my car. Stays in tour mode on my street, but when I'm off and driving around I'm in sport mode. It's wet out otherwise I'd get you pics.

It does have two separate mufflers, and they are actuated on 12v. They may work with the V depending on their size and shape.

Oh, also they for sure would not be cheap, I don't think the Holden variants got a dual-mode from factory.
    2016 Jungle Green Metallic Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick
    2011 Radiant Silver Metallic CTS-V Wagon - Corsa axleback, AirAid Intake *Traded 7/7/16*

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Vadder also has dual tips on his V which is what made me want dual tips on mine to be honest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links