issue with rps twin disk
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hornetraider

Thread: issue with rps twin disk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

issue with rps twin disk

ive had it in a few hundred miles and have started to drive the car harder

I am getting some slip, when I get into it the clutch will slip for a split second then grab and hold,

It doesn't chatter at all and has no other symptoms

I called rps last week and they said it sounds like it needs to be bedded in, so he gave me some tips on bedding it in so I went out and did some second gear starts and slipped it a bit, as it heated it up it slipped less and less and got to the point it had zero slip, I of coarse was super happy

next day get back in the car and it slipped like it did before

I called rps back for their advice and this time he was trying to compare it to a Camaro that the clutch pack in the rear was going bad?? and advised me to check the fluid in the rear? he said drive it some more and see what happens . Im not real comfortable with the answer anyone else have advise or ideas. pretty bummed ive spent the amount of money I did thinking I would have no issues and now do. I dont want to go the shop that installed it with nothing for them to check.

do our cars have an inspection plate I could check the clearance on the throw out bearing make sure its not preloaded, as this is the only thing I can think of and if it does I want to check it myself and not depend on the shop to check it
    Hidden Content

2011 coupe m6 black diamond with recaros

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    damn, I was hoping someone could shed some light, I have one more idea and then will have no choice but to have the shop pull it down to inspect it

its not getting worse but it doesn't seem to be getting better

can anyone with the rps clutch and tilton slave comment on how tight the pedal feels at the top of the stroke. Any clutch ive ever had has a little bit of play in the top where you can tell nothing is happening, mine fells like its pushing the clutch in the entire time, like there is no clearance between the throw out bearing and clutch fingers
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Sorry to hear of your issues. I don't have an rps but am subscribed.
    M6: 10.88 @ 132mph

"I've ridden in a lot of what I thought were fast cars, but yours was the first one to ever give me butterflies."

Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I checked everything I can think of install wise include clearance on throw out bearing cant find anyting wronf, gonna call rps again today but not very encouraged considering last time they started talking about a Camaro that the clutch packs in the rear were slipping

im sure they will want to inspect it, which is reasonable but that means paying someone to pull it down and then wait for their response, this fucking sucks!!

$4k into it and im guessing im not done
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Mantic?

"I've ridden in a lot of what I thought were fast cars, but yours was the first one to ever give me butterflies."

Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by vcyclenut View Post
    I checked everything I can think of install wise include clearance on throw out bearing cant find anyting wronf, gonna call rps again today but not very encouraged considering last time they started talking about a Camaro that the clutch packs in the rear were slipping

im sure they will want to inspect it, which is reasonable but that means paying someone to pull it down and then wait for their response, this fucking sucks!!

$4k into it and im guessing im not done
    I'll try to help you.
    When you start off in first gear, how far off the floor does it finally start grabbing, then how much further from that point does it fully grab, then how much from that point does the pedal come to rest?

Also, how many miles on the clutch?
    Last edited by Bluebeare; 11-18-2016 at 01:12 PM.
    2013 TGC V Sedan M6
    Crane Cam, BTR DVS, BTR moly PRs, ATI damper, 8.66", 2.55", LPE Iso, Kooks long tubes, Kooks cat X-pipe, Corsa Perf. Axle-back, FIC 72/lb, MSD BAP, MSD plugs, NGK plugs, 160* T-stat, Centerforce DYAD twin-disc, Airaid intake, Mich Pilot SS tires. Cooling and E85 coming soon!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeare View Post
    I'll try to help you.
    When you start off in first gear, how far off the floor does it finally start grabbing, then how much further from that point does it fully grab, then how much from that point does the pedal come to rest?

thanks

about 3/4 up

how can I tell when it is fully grabbed??
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    thanks

about 3/4 up

how can I tell when it is fully grabbed??
    So you're saying that while idling/low rpm, you let the clutch out 3/4 of the way and then it starts to grab??

After it starts to grab you can usually tell when it fully grabs by feel when taking off.

Generally when you have a new clutch, you want engagement to be closer to the floor, (mine was about an inch off) because after break-in, the clutch engagement moves away from the floor. (Mine now engages about 1.5 inches off).

You're saying 3/4 off the floor which is about 3 inches and it's new. Sounds to me like you need to either take shim out, or grind down the Throw out bearing. You're disengaging the clutch way too quickly when pushing in, and never letting the pressure plate out all the way when the pedal comes back out.

Sorry if I missed this, but who did the install?

And if the above statements are accurate, while the clutch is cold and not warmed up, you've been driving around burning the clutch up until it finally expands enough to grab. I am not aware of any twin-disc clutch that likes constant slipping, nor is it a proper break-in procedure for a clutch to intentionally slip it as a bandaid for other issues. I have always babied my twin-discs for 500-1000 miles. Then I start doing load pulls in higher gears. Early slipping of clutches can lead to friction surface issues which could result in ever-lasting chatter during take off.
    Last edited by Bluebeare; 11-18-2016 at 01:40 PM.
    2013 TGC V Sedan M6
    Crane Cam, BTR DVS, BTR moly PRs, ATI damper, 8.66", 2.55", LPE Iso, Kooks long tubes, Kooks cat X-pipe, Corsa Perf. Axle-back, FIC 72/lb, MSD BAP, MSD plugs, NGK plugs, 160* T-stat, Centerforce DYAD twin-disc, Airaid intake, Mich Pilot SS tires. Cooling and E85 coming soon!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    RPS BC2. Tilton Slave. Installed by VR. Verified and road tested per procedure.

Grabs probably 1-2" off floor, probably less than 1" of travel before full engagement. If that. Never really took measurements but it's definitely in the bottom half of travel.

This thing flat fucking GRABS. Like. NOW. No discernable slip.

It can sometimes be very on/off until you get some heat into it. All carbon faces are like that.
    2012 CTS-V Coupe 6MT - Metco 2.5 Pulley, Solid Iso, Carbon Fiber Intake pipe, Modded Airbox, K&N, 63lb Injectors. Tuned by Mike @ New Era. Labor by New Era Performance.

68* - 22% humidity - SAE .99 - 578 hp & 577 tq - Track Times TBD

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I have the tilton slave, im gonna have him pull it down and measure the clearance between the throwout and fingers

thanks fro the replies gentleman!!
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by fubar569 View Post
    RPS BC2. Tilton Slave. Installed by VR. Verified and road tested per procedure.

Grabs probably 1-2" off floor, probably less than 1" of travel before full engagement. If that. Never really took measurements but it's definitely in the bottom half of travel.

This thing flat fucking GRABS. Like. NOW. No discernable slip.

It can sometimes be very on/off until you get some heat into it. All carbon faces are like that.
    Is that yours or the OPs? He's saying engagement 3/4 way up the pedal which is not good.

I agree with the on/off, I always have that on first drive of the day and lasts maybe 2-3 takeoffs from a stop.
    Last edited by Bluebeare; 11-18-2016 at 02:04 PM.
    2013 TGC V Sedan M6

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    anyone know what the clearance between the throw out and fingers is supposed to be??
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Should be in the install instructions. I think they differ per manufacturer when aftermarket.
    2013 TGC V Sedan M6

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    gonna have him pull it down reset the throw out bearing and cross my fingers, sucks its so much work to reset the throw out bearing and the transmission being bolted to the bell housing from the inside is a total pain in the ass
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Happy to report that the clutch issue was install related and the throw out bearing putting perload on the clutch fingers, had him take it out and reinstall it after backing up the throw out bearing and it now does not slip
    Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Happy to report that the clutch issue was install related and the throw out bearing putting perload on the clutch fingers, had him take it out and reinstall it after backing up the throw out bearing and it now does not slip
    Nice! Now go out and enjoy the car.
    vcyclenut likes this.

Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Good to hear you got it worked out. So now that it's fixed, you like the new clutch? How close to stock feel/drivability is it? I'm asking because I'm shopping and pretty much decided on the rps twin disk carbon. Thanks.
    '13 BD Vagon, manual trans, recaros, alcantara, sunroof, yellow calipers.
    2.4 pulley, ID850's, headers and 3" full exhaust, Zl1 lid, ported LS7 TB, airraid w/ green filter, varimax, track attack hx, catch can and custom icebox.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrdriver View Post
    Good to hear you got it worked out. So now that it's fixed, you like the new clutch? How close to stock feel/drivability is it? I'm asking because I'm shopping and pretty much decided on the rps twin disk carbon. Thanks.

I do like it, it liked it before it was fixed besides it slipped when I dropped the hammer

I don't find it hard to drive at all, the engagement point feels natural, I don't find it to be hard to modulate and zero chatter

at times its a bit noisier but nothing horrible. It does not take away from the driving experience of the car which was my biggest concern, I didn't want a car that was tough to cruise around town in
    Hidden Content

Sponsored Links