1/2 mile advice
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lt1z

Thread: 1/2 mile advice

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

1/2 mile advice

I signed up for the FL 1/2 mile in a couple weeks. I've never raced 1/2 mile and only did the 1/4 a couple times. I'm getting conflicting info on which tire to run. I have new drag radials and the re-11s I run on the street. Are there any stability issues, etc? Which setup should I use? I heard that the launch isn't as critical and a lot of folks kinda roll into the throttle, that it doesn't really affect your top speed. So with that in mind where should the suspension setting be? Nannies on or off?
    I realize I'm not gonna set any records just want to do the best I can and have fun, so any advice appreciated.
    '13 BD Vagon, manual trans, recaros, alcantara, sunroof, yellow calipers.
    2.4 pulley, ID850's, headers and 3" full exhaust, Zl1 lid, ported LS7 TB, airraid w/ green filter, varimax, track attack hx, catch can and custom icebox.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Be safe bro!
    14 RB Vagon 626/621 on E49 10.65@128.9
    Norcal Icebox, Varimax, Track Attack, 3/4 hose mod, Airaid/Green filter, Mamofied TB, Sideswipe
    Moroso Catch Can, Ported Blower/Snout, 2.4, 100mm idler, D Steck Flex Fuel with aux filter, Kooks LTs catless
    FIC 1000, 160 stat, BR7EF plugs, MSD Wires, Fasterproms Thermal Plates, Reinforced brick, Aeroforce in dash w/wideband.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Wow. I guess no one has set up their car for a half mile event and has a few tips?
    2.4 pulley, ID850's, headers and 3" full exhaust, Zl1 lid, ported LS7 TB, airraid w/ green filter, varimax, track attack hx, catch can and custom icebox.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    With your mods I would run your street tire setup. Also I always turn off all the nannies. Ocala is a slick track. There's plenty of room if you lose it down low so don't stress about it...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Street tire is fine. There's argument if a DR will hold for the prolonged high speeds. I leave all the nannies on. Ur not stabbing it like a 1/4 mile and the ones I go to start at a 40 mph roll
    '13 BD coupe - Hawk-Moroso-Airaid-IDs-TaHx-Varimax-MSD-NGK-Kooks Catless-irish'd ZL1 lid-ATI w/10" lower-Mamo LS7.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I'm trailering the V this year and still gonna run the Michelin SS. Btw no skinnies!
    '13 BD coupe - Hawk-Moroso-Airaid-IDs-TaHx-Varimax-MSD-NGK-Kooks Catless-irish'd ZL1 lid-ATI w/10" lower-Mamo LS7.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Ocala will be a dig run for what its worth. Like stated above, you don't have to hit it hard off the line. The car next to you will
    make it hard not to though lol
    12' A6, 2.5/9.1, Btr stage 2 cam, 2" tsp catless headers, Fic 850's, jokerz ported stock tb, Dms reinforced brick, airaid with green filter, moroso cc, Bmr underhood icebox, Ta hx, varimax pump, eibach sedan springs, aem 30-0333 wideband.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I run my 17" DR setup for the 1/2. High speed stability isn't a problem. Ocala is incredibly slick thanks to the runway material. The more grip you can get the better and the tallest tire you can run will help trap speed as well. You will roll into the throttle at the start if they can't prep it (they were able to put down some prep material at TX this year).

Just have fun with it. At your power level...there isn't really much to prep for. Put the car in competition mode and sport on the suspension to start. As soon as you know you have grip...stab the gas and go for it.
    2009 Black Raven Sedan - Loaded with Recaro's | 6MT |Vengeance Racing | ADV.1 | JPM Coachworks | 1,215whp/1,077wtq - Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Fastest ET 6MT and 2nd Fastest Trap Speed Overall - 10.09@150.48mph at 2,138 DA - Hidden Content
    Standing 1/2 Mile Personal Best - 178.00mph at wannaGOFAST GA (3rd Fastest V Overall)

Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Ok sweet. Thanks for all the replies. I'm borrowing a trailer to go up and I might throw the DR's into it but start with re11's. I'll see how they hook and go from there.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I ran my car at a 1/2 mile event in Coalinga CA. No prep of any kind, whatsoever With Toyo R888's (315/30R20) I had NO traction under 80mph. EVERY RWD vehicle was running Drag Radials in the rear. Speaking from experience, if you have DR's: use them. I was the moron that didn't use my DR's and just left them in my garage instead

Have fun!

Allen
    Hidden Content
    2012 CTS-V Coupe 6MT
    10.580 @ 135.97MPH ; 1.520 60'
    778hp & 720lb-ft tq (Dynojet)
    851hp & 794lb-ft tq (Dynapack)

Vendor
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Coalinga hooks worse then most unprepped streets. 888s work for AWDs but drag radials and a burnout are needed for RWD cars making power

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Ok. In reference to tire pressure at the half mile. I read to keep the tires at manufacturers recommendations but what about drag radials? Same?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrdriver View Post
    Ok. In reference to tire pressure at the half mile. I read to keep the tires at manufacturers recommendations but what about drag radials? Same?
    Start off at 22-23psi and work from there. You might end up going down more.
    2009 Black Raven Sedan - Loaded with Recaro's | 6MT |Vengeance Racing | ADV.1 | JPM Coachworks | 1,215whp/1,077wtq - Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Fastest ET 6MT and 2nd Fastest Trap Speed Overall - 10.09@150.48mph at 2,138 DA - Hidden Content
    Standing 1/2 Mile Personal Best - 178.00mph at wannaGOFAST GA (3rd Fastest V Overall)

Hidden Content

Sponsored Links