Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

Am I going to get walked by a Cobalt SS?

6K views 64 replies 29 participants last post by  Sonicyeller 
#1 ·
Friendly race probably going to happen today. Guy I work with talks about his cobalt non-stop. I know it has a pretty good sized turbo and is running E47. He wants to do a 40 roll.

I am 2009 sedan M6 on stock tune with no cats, corsa touring, airaid, ported stock TB, and HPE Hx....

We are going to run just for fun, hopefully I can get a video (even if I dont want to claim it ever happened...) Wanted to race before I do injectors and pulley. If it's bad, I can run him again after :)

#2 ·
Did you really just ask if you are going to get beat by a cobalt.....?

#3 ·
Hey, some of those Cobalts are extremely nasty. You should know that.

#5 ·
A guy I know had a Cobalt SS w/ 24lbs of boost and other mods. If I remember right, it was putting down 400ish whp in a 3200# car. He could HANG w/ a bone stock V to about 100-110mph and then the V would pull. So, unless the guy has MAJOR mods, no way he'll hang with your slightly modded V. Have fun!

#6 ·
FWD that's all that needs to be said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I'm sorry but I don't see a modded cobalt beating a slightly modded ZR1. This is my opinion so don't take it to heart.

Also whats with the roll racing? What happened to the good days where you both pulled up to a line and a hot chick would take out her bra and drop it to start the race? Back in the day you actually needed to know how to race and launch your car. Cant beat a race from a dig and banging through the gears. It wasn't about who's car was better, it was about who was the better driver.

#11 ·
Digs are harder on a car. Shit just breaks easier. You cant do 4k clutch dumps in a V1 constantly unless you have an awesome rear end/suspension setup. Rolls, you can do all day.

As for the cobalt, the turbo ones can get nasty. Yes its FWD, yes its a cobalt, but if he is well modded he may hang for a bit.

#15 ·
I have been talking in that post. I do have a CEL, and two codes relating to inefficient cats. Does not affect drive-ability. This is my garage queen, so CEL is no biggie until I get a tune...

The reason we are starting from a roll is because his clutch is slipping in first...

Say what you want about it being a cobalt...I have seen dodge neon's (one that this guy built) take on cars they should not have been in the same conversation as. People who have no respect for what big money into a shitty car can do, have not been around racing long enough...

#12 ·
Race it, break it, build it, race it again. Gotta pay to play the game.

#17 ·
Say what you want about it being a cobalt...I have seen dodge neon's (one that this guy built) take on cars they should not have been in the same conversation as. People who have no respect for what big money into a shitty car can do said:
Make no mistake,I completely understand that a person can throw tons of money into a little car and turn it into a monster. I never said that. I've seen civics beat ZR1s but by the time they were done with the civic they could have bought a ZR1.

Now if you would have stated this guy has thrown 40k into his cobalt we would be having a different conversation. The conversation is based off the knowledge at hand.

#38 ·
That's not what I'm stating at all I mean this guy literally spent 8k on this build and beat the zr1 I personally witnessed it.... But of coarse vid or bs right..... My friend Ryan has one making 632whp ..... He didn't even spend 10k and the Balt weighs 2900 with a driver 3050 maybe!!! Just saying

#20 ·
I see only one reason why the nose of the V would dive like that....

#21 ·
So he sent me his dyno sheet. No Boost numbers, but he is making 438/455 and the car weighs 2860 with him in it. I made 505 and weight ~4300...numbers would certainly say I am in trouble.

#22 ·
Make sure you hand him one of these before the race

#28 ·
Uhhh..... does this "calculator" compare FWD to RWD? Or tire size, tire compound? Rim width? 5 speed vs 6 speed?

#31 ·
Welp friends....the deed is done. I have my first loss in the V.

We ran from a 40 roll. I started in second, we ran till I let out at around 130. His back fender was even with my front fender at the end.

He said he is running ~27 PSI with DR's on the front. Not sure the turbo size...and E47.

His car was fast for sure. Any pulley upgrade for me would flip the outcome...but be warned, there are some fast cobalts out there.

He took a video, so as soon as he puts it up I will link it here.

#34 ·
Did he forget which one was the gas pedal? And you doubters forget about the 1k weight difference. Doesn't take more than 400whp to out run our cars if that much weight advantage is there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.