Ok Tesla is the coolest car company-check this out. - Page 2
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Ok Tesla is the coolest car company-check this out.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I really like what Tesla is doing in the auto industry. I love the model S.

I think the model X looks like a complete pile of shit, I don't care what kind of doors it has or how fast it is. It looks like a disproportionate pile of shit and is expensive as hell. Fuck the model X.
    Currently slumming it in a Jeep SRT and watching Gen 3 V prices for my next car!

2011 CTS-V Coupe -WeaponX carbon fiber trim. (sold)

Originally Posted by WD2009CTSV
    1/2 tenth on the big end and a little more weight in the pocket. And that's like a sore dick, you just can't beat it!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by RaVeNous View Post
    I really like what Tesla is doing in the auto industry. I love the model S.

I think the model X looks like a complete pile of shit, I don't care what kind of doors it has or how fast it is. It looks like a disproportionate pile of shit and is expensive as hell. Fuck the model X.
    I saw a model X from Florida zoom by in what looked like autopilot mode. now you can't tell me that setting your destination from FL to somewhere in north NH with automatic stops at necessary EV stations along the way isn't cool..
    2013 OBM M6

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Legality of autonomous driving isn't quite up to speed yet, this is one technology that is not ready for prime time.

This is advice from the engineers working on the tech.

My nephew and his wife work as engineers for Ford autonomous, it's just not ready no matter what Tesla says.

Musk takes insane risks.

However he wins some and loses some.

I will say the solar shingles and power wall will be cool if the price point is what he claims, equal to an asphalt roof replacement and if they hold up to weather elements

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    Kooks LT w/cats stock muffs
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by m13s View Post
    Great wow factor on the doors. I see them as a maintenance nightmare. Kind of like the pop up screen in the Vagon, just waiting for it to break. Time will tell on the tesla, how long can they burn cash and live ? I read that they lose money on every car sold (don't know if it is true or not. I dig the fact that Elon is a disrupter and innovator. No for the long haul and quality....
    I feel like the ultimate goal for Tesla is not to be in the car building business. I think they will set the standard format for EV technologies (batteries, motors, chargers, etc.) then make their money building the peripheral hardware. I believe that's why their technology is open source. Do you think HP makes more money off of printers or ink?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    My other theory is that they are trying to create competition for themselves, since the EV will never catch on if they are the only ones building them.

Vendor
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleventeen View Post
    I feel like the ultimate goal for Tesla is not to be in the car building business. I think they will set the standard format for EV technologies (batteries, motors, chargers, etc.) then make their money building the peripheral hardware. I believe that's why their technology is open source. Do you think HP makes more money off of printers or ink?
    This is what I read. Musk wants to be the energy supplier of the future, thru his giga-thing in Nevada.

It's all about getting up to a critical mass to get the costs per kWh down.

Not the price we pay, his costs. That's a good thing.
    http://dynamicflowconcepts.net/t/superchargers

2010 Thunder Gray sedan, A6, ebony recaros, LPE 650 (well, sort of), AR headers with (blown out) cats, 22" Magnaflow resonators, 9.1/2.5" pulleys, ID1000's, ZL1 Lid, CNC ported blower, WCCH heads, Mamo Motorsports custom cam, 102mm TPIS TB, DSteck Flex Fuel module, ZR1 HX pump, custom HX tube set, Fluidyne 3X HX,4.5" intake tube, FlyingV installation

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    How to they get past the limited resource that is utilized to make the batteries, as well as the fact that the resources are somewhat toxic. Particularly when we use this battery technology in everything?
    Currently slumming it in a Jeep SRT and watching Gen 3 V prices for my next car!

1/2 tenth on the big end and a little more weight in the pocket. And that's like a sore dick, you just can't beat it!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    EV cars for the most part are false green. I know they claim batteries will be repurposed to battery farms, this remains to be seen.

Landfills will see a large portion of these batteries.

679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post
    EV cars for the most part are false green. I know they claim batteries will be repurposed to battery farms, this remains to be seen.

Well whatever your views on how "green" EV are, there is for sure a performance benchmark to be gained in the technology. Long term though, can we make enough batteries to power them?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

Ok Tesla is the coolest car company-check this out.

The most impressive vehicles are the high performance hybrids. I see that being the future of high performance. Best of both worlds.

Would expect the V4 to be V8/EV awd

679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karch View Post
    This is what I read. Musk wants to be the energy supplier of the future, thru his giga-thing in Nevada.

It's all about getting up to a critical mass to get the costs per kWh down.

Not the price we pay, his costs. That's a good thing.
    Musk himself has said Tesla isn't a car company. His vision is a renewable/green energy company. Cars and solar and batteries and such are just WAYS to achieve this. Long term I think he has an interesting vision - to blend the car, the house, and storage together in a unique and cost effective way. Musk certainly realizes there are massive hurdles to get there, but he's the type of guy not to let those details get in the way. I like that about him - he pushes boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by RaVeNous View Post
    How to they get past the limited resource that is utilized to make the batteries, as well as the fact that the resources are somewhat toxic. Particularly when we use this battery technology in everything?
    I think there's a ton of research being done in non-lithium and rare earth metal batteries. I think it remains to be seen how far we can take this. For years materials engineers said we would reach a limit on CPU clock speeds, and that hasn't held - we've found ways around everything. We have to hope we can do something cool with energy storage - there's a global revolution to be had (in a good way) if we can make some breakthroughs in battery storage technology.

I dunno - the ARE very green aside from the battery life, disposal, recycling bit. I'm not sure - as you note - how this will play out.

The most impressive vehicles are the high performance hybrids. I see that being the future of high performance. Best of both worlds.

Would expect the V4 to be V8/EV awd
    LaFerrari, 918, P1, etc etc etc - agreed on this one. But all it would take is one major improvement in battery technology and materials and they'd be far behind and irrelevant. The gas/battery hybrid makes sense because the majority of the power is still coming from the ICE, even in these top-end cars. Pure EV cars can accelerate as fast or faster - the challenge is cooling the battery (or some tech that reduces the heat generated from discharge to begin with), and range/storage. But even a minor (less say 50%) increase in power density in EV car batteries would be a HUGE change and tip the tide IMHO.

And there are some unique advantages EV cars without ICE's have - simpler, reduced maintenance (hybrids are MORE complex than either pure EV or pure ICE), pure EV's are super quiet, and you can just charge them at your house, so it's convenient. Range issues and time to recharge are still holdbacks...
    2014 OBM/Titanium CTS-V Wagon "The Blue Whale"
    Auto, All Options, Interior is still 100% stock.
    Custom touches here and there...
    somewhere north of 556whp

2015 Audi SQ5 Prestige Glacier White Metallic + Gloss Piano Black trim "Snow White"
    Black leather interior, 8 Spd ZF Auto, all options
    Pulley and tune
    21" RS6 wheels /Super Sport 285's all around / Lowered on KW's

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Figured this is better here than in Tri's test drive thread...

My Escalade has lane keep assist as well as front and I believe rear crash monitoring. If you change lanes without a blinker or drift to the line it turns the wheel and gets you back in your lane. It's also slows to follow the vehicle in front of you when cruise is engaged. I've even used this in town which was very uncomfortable but it came to a stop at the light and when the car in front took off, mine followed at a safe distance. Of course I turned the wheel, that was plenty of automation for this guy.

I know that's not new news to many of us so what I'm getting at is that the video of the tesla "predicting" a crash wasn't very impressive to me. It's monitoring everything in front of it and it saw a vehicle coming up too fast on another one. No doubt my Cadillac would have stopped short of that accident as well, just wouldn't have beeped and assuming I have enough braking power to stop that hog. I guess I just don't get it, why would you want a vehicle to drive for you? Take a train, take a plane then uber, greyhound or whatever. I feel like it's more of a cool thing at this point. I have no plans of putting my families life in the hands of a computer driving my car. Computers get hacked, I know Tesla was hacked before and I'm sure it will happen again even though the changed their security after the previous hack. Sure would be awesome to be driving down the road and some Russian decides to make my vehicle turn left....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by HUGN*RDS View Post
    I saw a model X from Florida zoom by in what looked like autopilot mode. now you can't tell me that setting your destination from FL to somewhere in north NH with automatic stops at necessary EV stations along the way isn't cool..
    I was watching Jay Leno and he was driving in his tesla, it didnt take very long before it signaled to him to put his hands back on the steering wheel.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Electric Cars suck. If god had intended us to drive Electric, he wouldn't have given us Internal Combustion. And if you can't burn something to make it go, and make a lot of noise while you do it, what's the point of driving? Do you think little kids sit around pretending they're driving Teslas? "WeeeEEE WeeeEEE" instead of "Vroom Vroom"?

Tesla's biggest selling feature is that it drives itself! How can a car that drives itself ever be considered a "driver's car"? It's simply a "gilded" conveyance. A high-tech rendition of the horse-drawn version that Queen Elizabeth rides in during Parades in London.

If you buy a Tesla, IMO, you are signing away your automotive soul.

Harsh, I know. But maybe my strong words will save someone from making a bad decision...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketSled View Post
    Electric Cars suck. If god had intended us to drive Electric, he wouldn't have given us Internal Combustion. And if you can't burn something to make it go, and make a lot of noise while you do it, what's the point of driving? Do you think little kids sit around pretending they're driving Teslas? "WeeeEEE WeeeEEE" instead of "Vroom Vroom"?

Tesla's biggest selling feature is that it drives itself! How can a car that drives itself ever be considered a "driver's car"? It's simply a "gilded" conveyance. A high-tech rendition of the horse-drawn version that Queen Elizabeth rides in during Parades in London.

If you buy a Tesla, IMO, you are signing away your automotive soul.

Harsh, I know. But maybe my strong words will save someone from making a bad decision...
    I am sure there was a Cowboy or Knight 100 years ago saying the same thing as you about ICE motors and their horse. Its not really an insult if I called you a Cowboy or Knight, I mean both are pretty cool
    TriTexan and Greg S. like this.
    Current mods
    Lt1z stage 2 cam - johnson lifters -Airaid CAI w/Green filter - Mamo ported TB - Corsa Sport cat backs - Weapon X Track attack HX - weaponX carbon fiber spoiler and side blades - Varimax HX pump - NGK afx wide band - 2.4 upper - Green belt - idler pulley - Id850s, Zl1 lid - NGK TR7ix - MSD wires - BB test pipes - Mighty mouse catch can - BMR ice box - Side Swipe. Tuned.
    Mod pile
    American Racing headers and Xpipe - ATI lower 8.8 ring
    Best 1/4 mile to date
    1800DA
    1.67 - 60foot
    125.24 mph - 1/4
    11.1489 - Still working on the tune

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by t.j.t View Post
    I am sure there was a Cowboy or Knight 100 years ago saying the same thing as you about ICE motors and their horse. Its not really an insult if I called you a Cowboy or Knight, I mean both are pretty cool
    And when cars first came out, they kinda sucked too

2015 Audi SQ5 Prestige Glacier White Metallic + Gloss Piano Black trim "Snow White"
    Pulley and tune

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Faraday Future: thoughts? Pulls 1.1g on acceleration
    2009 6MT - 708hp E63CORN-634hp/637tq 93 octane - stock cam-- 2.5/91 - ported blower/snout/90mm LS7 Mamo TB - Track Attack HX - Norcal Ice box - FIC 1000 - JMS BAP- Dsteck FF - MM catch can - ZL1 lid - AirAid Green Filter - pocket protector/side swipe-Kooks 1 7/8 Headers - 22in resonators - SW catback

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Faraday Future: thoughts? Pulls 1.1g on acceleration
    Looks like Faraday has no future What the Hell Is Going on at Faraday Future?
    Currently driving my wife crazy
    Sold: 2010 CTS-V M6 Sedan blk/blk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    yeah well good luck in the zombie Apocalypse with your electric car!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mprtetr View Post
    Figured this is better here than in Tri's test drive thread...

My Escalade has lane keep assist as well as front and I believe rear crash monitoring. If you change lanes without a blinker or drift to the line it turns the wheel and gets you back in your lane. It's also slows to follow the vehicle in front of you when cruise is engaged. I've even used this in town which was very uncomfortable but it came to a stop at the light and when the car in front took off, mine followed at a safe distance. Of course I turned the wheel, that was plenty of automation for this guy.

I know that's not new news to many of us so what I'm getting at is that the video of the tesla "predicting" a crash wasn't very impressive to me. It's monitoring everything in front of it and it saw a vehicle coming up too fast on another one. No doubt my Cadillac would have stopped short of that accident as well, just wouldn't have beeped and assuming I have enough braking power to stop that hog. I guess I just don't get it, why would you want a vehicle to drive for you? Take a train, take a plane then uber, greyhound or whatever. I feel like it's more of a cool thing at this point. I have no plans of putting my families life in the hands of a computer driving my car. Computers get hacked, I know Tesla was hacked before and I'm sure it will happen again even though the changed their security after the previous hack. Sure would be awesome to be driving down the road and some Russian decides to make my vehicle turn left....
    Just to be clear, your Cadillac is not doing the same thing the Tesla does and likely would not have predicted danger as quickly. The Tesla saw the cars that were several vehicles ahead of the eventual crash braking.
    TriTexan likes this.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Just to be clear, your Cadillac is not doing the same thing the Tesla does and likely would not have predicted danger as quickly. The Tesla saw the cars that were several vehicles ahead of the eventual crash braking.
    Also just to be clear, my vehicle is following the one vehicle in front of me. It's not predicting everything on the road but only monitoring the one vehicle directly in front of me. If I'm following at a safe distance, mine would stop as well. And since I'm not in a car, I can see the road in front of me and observe brake lights up ahead and slow down if I see it to be necessary.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mprtetr View Post
    Also just to be clear, my vehicle is following the one vehicle in front of me. It's not predicting everything on the road but only monitoring the one vehicle directly in front of me. If I'm following at a safe distance, mine would stop as well. And since I'm not in a car, I can see the road in front of me and observe brake lights up ahead and slow down if I see it to be necessary.
    Yeah, exactly. The vehicle in front of the Tesla crashed LOL. Is that the vehicle you want your vehicle following?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Yeah, exactly. The vehicle in front of the Tesla crashed LOL. Is that the vehicle you want your vehicle following?
    Ya it is

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I wonder if they program the Tesla to be more careful around Mustangs?
    TriTexan and Eleventeen like this.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod-Realtor View Post
    I wonder if they program the Tesla to be more careful around Mustangs?
    I'd program it to stay FAR away from Mustangs.

I'll post this elsewhere, but did anyone follow Nvidia's new generation of self-drive car tech? Tesla is a big partner with them so Nvidia will likely be the Tesla platform going forward.

It's called Drive PX 2 if anyone wants to check it out.

Pulley and tune

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links