Gonna go test drive some "other" cars - who's got a Tesla, McLaren, Porsche, Audi, etc? - Page 3
Welcome to the Cadillac CTS-V Forum at CTSVOwners.com.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Gonna go test drive some "other" cars - who's got a Tesla, McLaren, Porsche, Audi, etc?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by FRCFED View Post
    tri, why not save some chedder. buy a grocery getter for DD duty and buy a 10-13 ZR-1. Finding heavily modded ones 50-60K, spend a few grand after doing a C7 interior swap and boom 1.1K hp with a small shot.
    Two car garage right now. Saving up for the CTSV Jim house with 4 car garage, etc. If I had 3 or 4 spots to park I'd do exactly as you suggest: get a nice faily DD and a fast toy. Just don't wanna buy a new home just to buy a new car.

Plus: How does buying, insuring, and maintaining 2 cars save me money vs one?
    2014 OBM/Titanium CTS-V Wagon "The Blue Whale"
    Auto, All Options, Interior 100% stock.
    Custom touches here and there...needs driver mod badly!
    7xx to 8xx rwhp

2015 Audi SQ5 Prestige Glacier White Metallic + Gloss Piano Black trim "Snow White"
    Black leather interior, 8 Spd ZF Auto, all options
    Pulley and tune
    21" RS6 wheels /Super Sport 285's all around / Lowered on KW's

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Park the beater outside on the street man, minimum insurance levels on it for collision and what not, cant imagine a CPO'd pickup / 4 door cruiser / mid-size Suv would cost more than an additional 50-75 bucks a month over the wifes if you are on the same insurance. You can only drive one at a time, so even if you and miss tri are on both vehicles its gonna be hell of a lot cheaper than insurance on the whale. For the ZR1 its a low production car, find any of the many insureres for low volume cars and boom I bet its like at most 1800/yr for agreed value of around 60K.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    my advice would be not to go drive any of them, if you do im in for the part out as well I just cant see getting back into the tyrannosaurus rex wagon after driving those cars

although member AWD spent months selling off his white wagon to buy a porsche, sold that and is now looking for another white wagon so maybe I have no idea what im talking about lol
    busabob likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CTSVOwners.com
    Advertisements

Honey Badger in Rehab
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF300 View Post
    my advice would be not to go drive any of them, if you do im in for the part out as well I just cant see getting back into the tyrannosaurus rex wagon after driving those cars

although member AWD spent months selling off his white wagon to buy a porsche, sold that and is now looking for another white wagon so maybe I have no idea what im talking about lol
    That's the smartest thing you've ever said

Where's my free beer !!!
    ShelteredV likes this.
    I'm just a poor retired fucker.....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by busabob View Post
    That's the smartest thing you've ever said

Where's my free beer !!!
    where's the sister!
    Mprtetr and ShelteredV like this.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    2013 Rolls-Royce Ghost---Ask for Jeff Snyder - Pre-Owned Inventory Available at Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Houston

If you're serious about a nice DD in that price range, I highly recommend a gently used Rolls-Royce.

JP
    JayC'sV likes this.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by FRCFED View Post
    Park the beater outside on the street man, minimum insurance levels on it for collision and what not, cant imagine a CPO'd pickup / 4 door cruiser / mid-size Suv would cost more than an additional 50-75 bucks a month over the wifes if you are on the same insurance. You can only drive one at a time, so even if you and miss tri are on both vehicles its gonna be hell of a lot cheaper than insurance on the whale. For the ZR1 its a low production car, find any of the many insureres for low volume cars and boom I bet its like at most 1800/yr for agreed value of around 60K.
    Heh...I guess my hood be fancy. No cars parked on the street - at least not overnight or more than 18 hours at a time or some crap like that.

Its all about discipline. I do LOVE a nice new fancy car. But between triathlon and investing - I've managed to learn a wee bit of self control.

If I find something I like better, then it will come down to the numbers. Most people decide based on whether or not they can afford something. With me it's more about whether or not it fits or wrecks my other goals...
    Quote Originally Posted by payne View Post
    2013 Rolls-Royce Ghost---Ask for Jeff Snyder - Pre-Owned Inventory Available at Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Houston

If you're serious about a nice DD in that price range, I highly recommend a gently used Rolls-Royce.

JP
    Yeah, your on point. I've seriously considered a well maintained Bentley Flying Spur Speed or similar 4 door. The Ghost is beautiful too. A high percent of wealthy households own at least one RR, Bentley, or other "ultra luxury" car. A good used one is a HUGE bargain.

The flip side is accidentally getting one that was owned by Justin Beiber or some loser rapper thug who treated the car like crap, then covered it up to sell it. Knowing the car's provenance would be critical - at least for me.

What's prevented me from doing this is outward appearance. No one at work would get it and it would only come across as pretentious. My job, house, and my personal attitide are definitely NOT Rolls or Bentley-esk.

But I've done well enough that a good used one would be not only a great DD functionally, but would hold enough value such that it wouldn't be that much different financially than taking the 3 -4 year depreciation hit on something like an Escalade.

Its funny you said this...every time I'm getting a new car I've told Mrs. Tri that this is what I would consider doing.
    7xx to 8xx rwhp

2015 Audi SQ5 Prestige Glacier White Metallic + Gloss Piano Black trim "Snow White"
    Pulley and tune

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

JP
    The real question is: how much are mods and who's the best Houston Rolls/Bentley tuner?
    7xx to 8xx rwhp

Pulley and tune

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    TT have you ever driven a Jaguar XJR? If not, you should. It won't match the RS7 or S8's 0-60, but it will match a stock CTS-V and feels and sounds unbelievably good doing it. Used examples are mid-60's. So wishing I could talk my wife into one.
    REDLINE

2016 Corvette Z06 3LZ
    Callaway SC757
    "I lived my life by one motto.......mottos are for losers" cvp33

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TriTexan View Post
    But I've done well enough that a good used one would be not only a great DD functionally, but would hold enough value such that it wouldn't be that much different financially than taking the 3 -4 year depreciation hit on something like an Escalade.
    I just leased, I know some of you don't get it and think it's awful, a 2016 Escalade ESV with a $92k sticker (paid 81xxx). In 3 years figuring 36,000 miles my buy out will be $55,550. My 15 Denali had 13k miles after 2 years so I doubt I'll get close to the 36k mileage but I did tell the wifey we're paying for those miles so we need to use em! Maybe off topic but I already know what I'll be able to buy it for in 3 years.

I say you keep the whale and slap some turbos on it...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cvp33 View Post
    TT have you ever driven a Jaguar XJR? If not, you should. It won't match the RS7 or S8's 0-60, but it will match a stock CTS-V and feels and sounds unbelievably good doing it. Used examples are mid-60's. So wishing I could talk my wife into one.
    Love the new Jags. They look and sound incredible. They are "almost" in the performance and capability area. Reminds me of the Lexus F cars...nice try but not quite. I haven't bought one because I'm always thinking they'll turn out like the hot looking bimbo...fun to play with for a day or two, but by the third day you can't stand them. After a week you are Googling for ways to get rid of a body.

Quote Originally Posted by Mprtetr View Post
    I say you keep the whale and slap some turbos on it...
    I'm well past the "usable power" threshold already lol!!. The reason to buy another car or a different car would NOT be for more power. A Flying Spur would never keep up with a lightly modded V or XFR or something like that.

It would have to offer me something worth GIVING UP the power of the Whale in exchange for.

I know technologically the V2 is old. But its also legendary in terms of its appetite for mods and the power delivered. We had my wife's Audi tuned by APR and while it did very well, I wouldn't call the change "radical". But with the V2 that car came back from the shop with almost a SCARY and honestly unreal amount of power and torque...
    7xx to 8xx rwhp

Pulley and tune

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Yeah, your on point. I've seriously considered a well maintained Bentley Flying Spur Speed or similar 4 door. The Ghost is beautiful too. A high percent of wealthy households own at least one RR, Bentley, or other "ultra luxury" car. A good used one is a HUGE bargain.

The flip side is accidentally getting one that was owned by Justin Beiber or some loser rapper thug who treated the car like crap, then covered it up to sell it. Knowing the car's provenance would be critical - at least for me.

What's prevented me from doing this is outward appearance. No one at work would get it and it would only come across as pretentious. My job, house, and my personal attitide are definitely NOT Rolls or Bentley-esk.

Its funny you said this...every time I'm getting a new car I've told Mrs. Tri that this is what I would consider doing.

The real question is: how much are mods and who's the best Houston Rolls/Bentley tuner?
    IMHO, a stock paint/wheeled RR exudes class and sophistication, not pretentiousness. Especially if you're known as the car guy around work. I also think the RR holds an edge on prestige and class above the Bentley. Now if you 'murder' out one and put 22s on it, that's another story. If you want to avoid the rapper beat RR, look for one from a smaller market - Omaha, Santa Fe, Jackson Hole, Boise, etc.

You could sign up for the Rolls-Royce Owner's Club and look on their forum for Ghosts for sale by owners. Most RR owners actually own more than one RR, and most of them keep them stock and drive them like the proverbial dentist drove his 2002 z06 to and from work and the golf course. A lot of the RR owners have Dawns on order and will be selling their Ghosts and Wraiths shortly (or Phantom Dropheads, but that's going to be over your budget).

Underneath it's just a BMW TT motor that is very well sorted. Should respond well to a tune

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    IMHO, a stock paint/wheeled RR exudes class and sophistication, not pretentiousness. Especially if you're known as the car guy around work. I also think the RR holds an edge on prestige and class above the Bentley. Now if you 'murder' out one and put 22s on it, that's another story. If you want to avoid the rapper beat RR, look for one from a smaller market - Omaha, Santa Fe, Jackson Hole, Boise, etc.

You could sign up for the Rolls-Royce Owner's Club and look on their forum for Ghosts for sale by owners. Most RR owners actually own more than one RR, and most of them keep them stock and drive them like the proverbial dentist drove his 2002 z06 to and from work and the golf course. A lot of the RR owners have Dawns on order and will be selling their Ghosts and Wraiths shortly (or Phantom Dropheads, but that's going to be over your budget).

Underneath it's just a BMW TT motor that is very well sorted. Should respond well to a tune
    Great thoughts. I know guys like YOU wouldn't think pretentious - but I am sure a good many people would. There ARE some car guys and gals at my office, but not nearly enough for the level of appreciation for finely engineered cars as you have.

I think I've decided your advice is spot on, but I'm going to also consider doing this when I get a house with a 3 or 4 car garage. Then I can buy a sports car AND a "fine" car like a RR or Bentley. I'm curious what your take is on Bentley vs RR? Everyone I know that daily drives something like this drives a Bentley. As you said, there are a fair number of RR guys that are more in the collector category and generally have more than one, drive them infrequently, keep them 100% stock, etc.

I also agree that stock ones are generally VERY elegant - no worries there! I figured there were clubs or organizations to help one navigate the car's history and avoid buying one that's been trashed or abused. Not a fan of the Wraith or Phantom as much. The Ghost is nice. But all of these don't really match ME as a person or my personality. But they kinda match my wants/desires. The Bentleys just seem to be more my style...but who knows, I've never owned or even driven a Rolls, just a few Bentleys and they were very impressive.
    7xx to 8xx rwhp

Pulley and tune

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Great thoughts. I know guys like YOU wouldn't think pretentious - but I am sure a good many people would. There ARE some car guys and gals at my office, but not nearly enough for the level of appreciation for finely engineered cars as you have.

I think I've decided your advice is spot on, but I'm going to also consider doing this when I get a house with a 3 or 4 car garage. Then I can buy a sports car AND a "fine" car like a RR or Bentley. I'm curious what your take is on Bentley vs RR? Everyone I know that daily drives something like this drives a Bentley. As you said, there are a fair number of RR guys that are more in the collector category and generally have more than one, drive them infrequently, keep them 100% stock, etc.

I also agree that stock ones are generally VERY elegant - no worries there! I figured there were clubs or organizations to help one navigate the car's history and avoid buying one that's been trashed or abused. Not a fan of the Wraith or Phantom as much. The Ghost is nice. But all of these don't really match ME as a person or my personality. But they kinda match my wants/desires. The Bentleys just seem to be more my style...but who knows, I've never owned or even driven a Rolls, just a few Bentleys and they were very impressive.
    Rolls-Royce is a cut above. I've been chauffeured all over southern England in all of the Rolls-Royce models for a few factory visits/meetings, and I also did an extended test drive at Pebble Beach with a Dawn - it's absolutely spectacular in every way. I am admittedly biased - Rolls-Royce has invited my company (I'm the founder and CEO of Ada Diamonds) to be an Affinity Partner at a few events and photoshoots this year, and I've sold a lot of very nice jewelry to Rolls-Royce owners as a result. I've also done work with Koenigsegg (put our diamonds in a customer's Agera RS), so I'd steer you toward an Egg if your budget was a bit higher

Go test drive the Ghosts at the Houston RR dealer, there is a je ne sais quoi about them - they are just sublime. Then you'll buy one, and then you'll hire your neighbor's kid that you trust to chauffeur you and your spouse out to dinner a few nights a month. That'll get the wife onboard with the purchase.

I'd guess that very few Ghosts have been modded in any way, or really beat on in any way. It's just not in the character of the car TBH.

Cheers,
    Jason
    Last edited by payne; 12-29-2016 at 04:50 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I heard if you get a Chrysler 300 and put a Rolls Royce grill on it, it's pretty much the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    cvp33, Mprtetr, Boatmangc and 4 others like this.
    679RWHP 662RWTQ
    BMF cam
    Ported SC/Snout/90TB
    Kooks LT w/cats stock muffs
    ID850's
    IW 9.1/2.55
    Airaid w/green filter
    Katech+W4M HX ZR1 pump
    Norcal ice tank

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)

Audi drives - RS7, S8 Plus, and R8

So today was Audi day. Drove an S8 Plus, RS7 Performance, and R8 V10.
    We had PERFECT weather here in Houston - 70's in the AM and got slightly cooler as the day went on, ending around 65F by the time I got home.

I've attempted to organize my stream-of-consciousness post into sections for each car, but there are overlapping comments.

I figure you cunts already know I'm not a world record holder in brevity or conciseness...but I hope you enjoy the read. Just don't give me a play-by-play of your toilet time...remember, legs crossed for best results!!

First - the amazing R8:

The R8 was the sportiest - has a really almost harsh ride, and is the most athletic of the three. At $200k and up, and a very tiny interior, it's not spacious or comfy at all. It's just a REALLY fast coupe that's beautiful and elegant.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of THESE wheels on the R8, or the carbon everywhere. The engine sounds you'll likely enjoy forever. Very "BMW M" -esque. The car itself looks great and is everything it should be. But it's low to the ground - you almost need a sling to get in and out. It rides rough on ANY setting, has modest visibility compared to the other, higher-riding models, and is clearly a very visceral, emotional, physical experience to drive. You and your passenger will have a blast. As long as you don't have too far to go and can stop when you get worn out with the ride.

The 305/30/20 rear tires are identical in size to the ones on my V. These are P Zeros and ride and grip nice. The Michelin Sport Cup 2's are CLEARLY better than the OE P Zeros. The R8 seemed to actually have LESS grip around the underpass turnaround we tried all the cars thru. And yes - I took my sales guy along in the V and all of his cars so he could give me some feedback from his view...more on that later!

The R8 engine is just fabulous. It's a high revving, NA V-10 and sounds wonderful. But it's a high revving NA engine. So low end torque SUCKS. Thankfully it has the same 8 speed ZF gearbox my other Audi has, so there's always a gear handy to rev up this high spinning heart. Unfortunately the R8 always seems to be lugging - UNLESS you put it in sport/dynamic modes and drive it hard. But it doesn't do a GREAT job of just "figuring it out" based on your hands and right foot. I've driven other cars where the computer programming is just magic - it takes the speed at which you mash the gas, and all sorts of other inputs, and kinda "interprets" what you are doing - driving casually, aggressively, or just trying to pass an idiot in the left lane. I love cars that seamlessly and automatically switch from insane to tame without you having to go searching for "modes" and "settings" to get the behavior you want. The R8 falls short here. Not that the V2 is even close to it in this regard - but if I'm dropping $200k on a coupe, I have HIGH expectations.

The R8 transmission is also pretty slick. Of the three cars I drove, only this one had the dual-clutch trans, simply because the R8 actually has a lot less torque, and much less low end torque than the RS7 and S8 Plus. The ZF 8 speed has a much higher torque rating - it's used in the Hellcat and several large super-luxury cars. Bentley, BMW, and many more use them up to about 800 lb/ft WITH warranty, and you can probably push 900 lb/ft thru it without really causing major issues. And because of the dual clutch setup, the shifts in the R8 are neck snapping fast. But I quickly realized I wasn't a huge fan of having my neck snapped ALL THE TIME. Dialing back the car to the various "comfort" modes helps, but the difference isn't dramatic.

And ALL of the cars have extensive modes and customizations. The V has two settings for suspension, two for trans. The Audi's have 10 to 12 configurable items, and each item has 3 or 4 options each. You have four "modes" in the cars - Comfort, Auto, Dynamic, and Individual. The first three put all items in pre-programmed positions. The last one - Individual - allows you to create a custom mix and save it. So if you like the suspension soft and the transmission shifts firm, and the steering feel tight/heavy - you can set it up that way. Or you can do firm suspension, soft shifts, gentle/easy steering, and comfort/quiet exhaust note. Yes - my wife's car and I think all three of these have dual or multi-mode exhaust systems with the usual dampers/flappers to bypass the mufflers and do other things to change the exhaust sound. Most Audi's also have some of that fake engine and exhaust sound crap piped thru the audio system. I played around with it on the wife's car and it quickly became an annoying gimmick. It's like being with a sexy, dumb girl that always fakes her orgasms: It's fun the first few times, but it doesn't take long for it to get old and you want more of a connection. Well - some of you do. Some would just keep banging the dumb, hot chick - and I will NOT blame or judge you for that!!!

NEXT - The incredible RS7!!

There are a few main differences between the regular RS7 and the Performance version. Carbon brakes, steel springs on the Performance vs airbags on the regular RS7, and the same engine mechanically, but tuned for more power. You pay a HUGE price for this, but you get an amazing car. Impressively, the RS7 Performance even on steel springs is VERY comfortable - on both smooth roads and rough. The engine is quiet, but you can kinda tell the active engine vibration management is working hard. It FEELS smooth, but between your ears and eyes you can somehow tell there's a lot more vibration happening that you can't exactly feel. But you can hear remnants of it, and that detracts from the luxury aspect a bit. Impressive nonetheless as all of them are smoother and quieter than the V.

Some shots of the RS7:

Fog light surrounds - reminded me of the V2...lights, air intakes, etc. I like the Audi variant better from a styling perspective, but the general design is familiar...you can see one of the multiple radiators behind there peeking thru:

21 inch optional wheels, Conti SportContact 5p tires. Rode VERY smooth even on these rubber bands. AWD means plenty of grip for launches...but wheels are a BIG thing for car guys and gals. So I just assume some peeps will like them, some not. And they can always be changed - for a price. At 21x9 inches with 275/30's all around, there's a fair amount of rubber here, but a 9.5 inch wheel like we have on my wife's Audi would be better, but probably also reduce acceleration and have other tradeoffs...

Carbon brakes on this one, steel on the regular. All offer plenty of grip. Service tech told me that Audi considers the carbon rotors as "lifetime parts" - i.e. should never wear out and any wear is covered by warranty. I'm sure "never" only means until the warranty expires!!

This one had this "Quattro" script on the front, but you can get without it too. Love the black optic trim - no chrome anywhere, looks slick, and holds up better than the cheap crap on the V2 console!

The RS7 has some key advantages in my book.

First - it looks GREAT. It's sporty but not tacky, classy but not overdone. It draws the eye, but not the cops (sorta)!

Surprisingly, the RS7 has a TON of usable space. The trunk of the RS7 and S8 Plus are actually identical in width and length. And on the RS7 it has a hatch instead of a trunk lid. So the vertical space is WAY better. It seems the main differences in terms of usable space between the RS7 and the S8 Plus are in the passenger compartment. The S8 had a roomier back seat (note that the S8 Plus is based on the normal wheelbase 8 sedan, not the longer A8L, with an extra 5 inches of rear seat legroom. It's almost OVERdone - they had an A8L on the showroom floor that I had some time to check out. It's odd because the main consumer of the A8L would be someone with a driver/chauffeur. But someone with that much lettuce would buy a Bentley, Rolls, etc - not an Audi. At least I think - I've never had a chauffeur - maybe you .001 percenters can chime in with the logic here!

Last - the luxurious and spacious S8 Plus:

The S8 Plus shares the same basic engine with the RS7 Performance. 605hp TT 4.0 liter V-8 in a hot V configuration. What I was really surprised about was the small size of the airflow path in the RS7 and S8 - here's underhood (this is the S8 not the RS7) with the cover removed. It's a briliant, compact design that holds up under extreme conditions - hot or cold. I looked at this like two really wound up inline 4 cylinder engines mated together. In that way, the airpath parts don't look quite as small. But the inlets and outlets are like 1.5, MAYBE 2 inches in diameter. That's smaller in total cross section that the stock V2's 4 inch intake. And it makes 50hp more.

The interior of ALL of the Audi's are extremely well done. Here's the door of the S8 Plus - everything inside is well thought out and elegant.

The RS7 Performance and the S8 felt almost comparable in terms of performance. The S8 Plus is obviously heavier and it feels it. Not as nimble as the RS7. But it has some cool features the RS7 lacks, like this neat overhead parking view called "Top View". Not even an option on the RS7. It uses fish-eye lens cameras under the rear view mirrors, front, and rear of the car and the computer to piece together a bird's eye view picture. Here's my ACTUAL parking job in the S8 Plus:

What's cool is you can see all around the car, and can easily tell if you are parked straight, etc. It also has both front and rear cameras and proximity sensors with visual alerts on the screen. Very cool. The RS7 with the lower front chin needs this, too.

Sadly, like the R8 the S8 and RS7 seemed sluggish to drop gears in response to throttle input. They tried hard to use low end torque (which the RS7 and S8 had, but not the R8) to overcome the desire of the driver to accelerate.

The RESULTS:

But here's the final analysis - and before you flame me, I DO REALIZE I am comparing my highly modded V to these OEM cars with a warranty. But that's the deal: I really do HAVE to look at that comparison unless I am willing to mod a $150k car, which is unlikely other than a tune (which really does a lot on the TT cars...the R8 doesn't really need any tuning tho!).

What I found, and my sales guy agrees with, is that NONE of these Audi's hold a candle to the V in terms of performance. Even with modern computer wizardry, AWD, and much more - the V2 wagon left them behind by HUGE margins. They asked me not to film us roll racing them or punching it in the test cars. But we did do a couple of side-by-sides, which was tough due to traffic. We wanted clear roads and ample safety and due to the great weather and holidays, a lot of people were out and about even in the middle of the day.

What I found is that these cars LAUNCH HARD. The AWD and launch mode gives you a hella push off the line. But after that, a V2 with mid-levels mods will eat them alive. The Blue Whale put a couple of BUS lengths on the R8 from a 45 roll in just a few seconds. 5 to 6 cars is just wild guess here...NO video was taken by request and I respected that given how nice they treated me. The RS7 and S8 took even more punishment.

What REALLY REALLY surprised me was the turning and handling performance comparison results. With an emphasis on COMPARISON - read on...

The Audi's are pretty good turning cars - there's a clear gap from the Audi's to the Porsche's, but the Audi's ARE pretty competent and the Porsche's more so. When we bought the wife's Audi, we also checked out it's sister car the Porsche Macan. Even Mrs Tri who isn't as well versed with cars could tell a significant difference between them. The Porsche had clearly better ride, handling, steering feel, and overall turning performance. Not sure what black magic Porsche uses, but it works. And the SQ5 lowered on KW's can turn like a mofo. I have pushed it HARD around various real world street corners I know well and it sticks damn good for an SUV. A few guys on here have one - on stock wheels and tires they are good. Lowered on wider Pilot Super Sports, they are amazing for what they are.

SO -

On the Sport Cup 2 tires, the V2 easily out cornered the RS7 and S8, and it - again based purely on subjective assessment here. And more surprising - the V2 held it's own against the R8. I'm on stock springs now - not lowered. Which I actually think HELPS, not hurts turning grip - the softer stock springs seem to help keep the tires in contact with the road over bumps and imperfections. The only handling differences between a stock V2 and my V are the larger and wider 20 inch Forgelines - 9.5x20 fronts and 11x20 rears with 265/305 tires. My wheel/tire combo is also lighter than stock by a few pounds - unsure how much real world difference that makes, but I didn't ADD weight with the 20's. Each corner is about 3-4 lbs lighter than stock. And as you know I'm running the grippier Sport Cup 2 tires, which I still claim are the world champion summer tire that isn't a drag radial.

I was totally caught off guard and shocked by how much difference the wheels and tires made - it closed the gap between a stock V2 and a brand new R8. I was floored. The sales guy was too. Now REAL, instrumented data may show otherwise, and I will be the first to admit that measurement is the RIGHT way to do this kind of comparison. But I was only kicking tires - no instrumentation today. I really wanted a "feel" for things right now - what did my brain and my hands and butt dyno tell me?

Net on handling - NOT A BIG DIFFERENCE between the V2 and some top end Audi's - at least with stickier and lighter tires on the V2. On stock wheels and rubber, I am certain the RS7 would be ahead in this category and the R8 far ahead. The S8 Plus is probably on par with a V2. It feels and drives about like a V2 wagon - at least in terms of feeling like a heavier car, the turn-in response, etc. All of which are better on the V2 with a little more grip, well dialed in alignment (which I have worked to get spot on), and wider tires front and rear. FWIW, the R8 has the same size rear tires as my V2, and smaller 265 front tires because the R8 is rear engine and can use less tire up front for greater agility - and it definitely works and makes a difference.

All three cars had EXACTLY 35 miles on them when I got in. I discovered that 35 miles is precisely how far the testers drive them at the factory. So I was the very first "commoner" to test these bullets out!

A HUGE thanks to Sewell and their sales manager AJ and his sales guy and intern who worked with me today. They spent plenty of time with me even though I was straight and up front with them that I was literally and truly just kicking the tires right now. But my wife's SQ5 is apparently somewhat of a local legend at this dealership. They told me that countless customers come in with pictures of Mrs Tri's car off the Audi forums and other places and said "I wanna order exactly THIS - what did you do to get the car to look like that?" Sadly, it included wheels from Europe and a few other not-so-easy-to-obtain parts. But lots of sales people know her car as it apparently has driven quite a few customers to their dealership. So they were MORE than happy to let me drive some pretty awesome cars today that they don't normally give the customers the keys to.

So here's where I landed:

The S8 Plus, while truly awesome - is also kinda bland. It looks tame, feels tame, acts tame. It draws ZERO attention and doesn't get your heart racing in any other way. If it were BRUTAL fast like the V, it would have something going, but the reality sunk in that a modded V2 had really spoiled me, and that modding a car of THIS calibre was a serious proposition. Maybe if you are a nine figure net worth guy it's no big deal and you can play around with $200k. And to level with you guys - I could swing that if I wanted to. But I'm making tradeoffs in my family's financial security doing so, and I've worked too hard to save up a nice nest egg to do something foolish and blow a $100k repair job on a super luxury sports car.

The R8 at $200k is fast and raucous. And cramped and uncomfortable. And fun as HELL. If I had room for three cars, I'd get an R8 and an RS7 or S8 LOL!!

The RS7 turned out to be a clear winner in my book. It had sufficient room for clients, employees, family, and friends. It was very sporty, fast, and handled great. And it was surprisingly smooth, quiet, supple, and luxurious. And with a tune it MIGHT satisfy the lust for acceleration that my modded V2 provides. I realized today what a HUGE expanse of space fills the void between ANY ultra-fast factory car and a good modded V2. Now I know not every V2 owner is at my power level, but a lot of guys are 600, even 650whp or more. That would make you fairly competitive. I'm sure most of you guys know a hella lot more about that than me...

NONE of these where anywhere CLOSE to the modded V2 in terms of power and acceleration. The sales guys said at one point, "I cannot believe the car doesn't spin all over the place with THAT much power going to only TWO tires." They were convinced (as was I to some extent) that AWD was absolutely necessary at this level. My take is that because Audi sells a ton of cars in snowy climates, that AWD is really needed in low-traction situations, and that in a powerful car, it gets harder and harder to modulate the throttle and maintain traction. Computers obviously make this FAR less of an issue. But I've heard more than one of you say that AWD may actually make people drive MORE recklessly in snow and ice because they get TOO confident. It improves acceleration, but braking and turning are kind of already "AWD" if you will - brakes cover all four wheels and turning, too - not necessarily active rear steer, but all four wheels participates.

I think my next visit will be the Tesla dealer...
    7xx to 8xx rwhp

Pulley and tune

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Sorry - fixed the permissions issue on pics above, should work now.

Couple more shots of the RS7, etc...

Soft close doors - nifty feature. Maybe a tad gimmicky, but also luxurious...kinda crappy demo, but it tells you something about "soft close doors". The feature makes you be TOO gentle with them, then they don't even catch and they don't close at all LOL! But I'm sure you get used to them quickly and they are beneficial. There's something about the "thunk" a car door makes that manufacturers pay a lot of attention to. MB I am sure sold a TON of cars simply for the feel of their doors closing.

STICKER SHOCK!!

7xx to 8xx rwhp

Pulley and tune

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Nice write up as always Tri. Makes me feel like I was sitting next to you on the drives!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I'm curious what your take is on Bentley vs RR?
    Ask this guy
    TriTexan likes this.
    2011 CTS-V

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Great review Tri.
    Looking forward to the rest.
    2011 CTS-V

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I love the R8, I mean love it! Unfortunately it's slower in 1/4 mile and road course than my Z06. For $200K it's gotta do better.

Lightning lap for the R8 was 2:56 versus 2:44 for the Z06. 12 seconds is an eternity.

1/4 mile R8 was 10.60@130mph versus 10.50@131mph. The R8's 0-60 is 2.6 seconds versus my Z06 at 2.8 but just before the 1/4 mile the Z just walks the R8.

Kinda like the McLaren 570s that got beat by the GS. But damn I love that car too! And for the record the GS beat the R8 pretty badly on the LL as well.
    Last edited by cvp33; 12-29-2016 at 06:38 PM.
    REDLINE

2016 Corvette Z06 3LZ
    Callaway SC757

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Self closing car doors are so 1990!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cvp33 View Post
    I love the R8, I mean love it! Unfortunately it's slower in 1/4 mile and road course than my Z06. For $200K it's gotta do better.

Lightning lap for the R8 was 2:56 versus 2:44 for the Z06. 12 seconds is an eternity.

1/4 mile R8 was 10.60@130mph versus 10.50@131mph. The R8's 0-60 is 2.6 seconds versus my Z06 at 2.8 but just before the 1/4 mile the Z just walks the R8.

Kinda like the McLaren 570s that got beat by the GS. But damn I love that car too! And for the record the GS beat the R8 pretty badly on the LL as well.
    Yeah - I was quite shocked with the R8. Looks like my short time with it and your obviously longer experience are the same - VERY lovable car but just not as fast as you expect it to be, money or not. Add in the steep sticker price and it just makes it worse.

Self closing car doors are so 1990!
    But, but....Tesla has them!!!
    7xx to 8xx rwhp

Pulley and tune

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by papi View Post
    Great review Tri.
    Looking forward to the rest.
    Thank you sir - be patient with me, I'm getting around to these as I have time, weather, and inclination.
    7xx to 8xx rwhp

Pulley and tune

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    For $200K I want to be crushing EVERYTHING on the road and the seat needs to be licking my nether regions.
    TriTexan likes this.
    REDLINE

2016 Corvette Z06 3LZ
    Callaway SC757

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    I'd take an rs7 over the r8... unless I was single... then you wouldn't need seats that lick your neither region, you would have a line up of good looking women.
    cvp33 and DenaliTim like this.
    Current mods
    Lt1z stage 2 cam - johnson lifters - Dynospeed 4.5 intake/Green filter - Mamo LS7 ported TB - ARH headers and x-pipe to stock mufflers - Weapon X Track attack HX - weaponX carbon fiber spoiler and side blades - Varimax HX pump - NGK afx wide band - 2.45 Griptech upper - ATI lower 8.8 ring - Green belt - idler pulley - Id850s, Zl1 lid - NGK TR7ix - MSD wires - Mighty mouse catch can - BMR ice box - Side Swipe -
    160ish or 170 thermostat- Tuned.

Burnout King
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Tri just get a Hellcat Charger, with some mods you can be running 9's and they are very roomy and comfortable.
    Gman likes this.
    Hidden Content

CTS-V

Best 60ft 1.57
    Best ET 10.77
    Best MPH 127.60

BURNOUT KING! Hidden Content !

2011 Sedan Black - CAI, Ported TB, Snout and Blower, upper and lower pulley, cam, dual springs with titanium retainers, injectors, thermostat, heat exchanger, kooks headers and xpipe, engine and tranny tune. 631 rwhp. SOLD

2002 Porsche 911 turbo - 640 rwhp Cannonball Run great read! Hidden Content SOLD

1965 Shelby Cobra (Superformance)

2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat 707hp, 10.89 @ 125.70 mph with a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty!
    MASSIVE BURNOUT! Hidden Content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyg View Post
    Tri just get a Hellcat Charger, with some mods you can be running 9's and they are very roomy and comfortable.
    Gonna drive one soon. Unless the dealership are jerks about it. I know how it probably goes with the Dodge dealers...lots of tire kickers wanting a joyride and nothing more, racking up "precious miles" on the one Hellcat they have in stock.

Did you have any trouble getting a test drive, etc with yours?

I'll definitely check them out. But something tells me that while fast in a straight line, I'll miss the rest of the stuff cars like the V3 and RS7 and others in that category do really well at.

It'll be REALLY hard to go from a top end Audi S8 interior to a Hellcat interior. That said - I need to hold back until I've spent some time with the Kitty.

Also gonna hit Tesla and MAYBE check out an AMG car - CLS or similar. Just to see how it feels compared to the RS7.

So far - nothing has made me want to give up the V2 in the least. They are nicer in every way, but my power mods have turned out extremely well. Its nearly as quiet as the S8 at cruise and WAY faster than anything at WOT. The RS7 actually felt slow. I mean truly slow. I'm totally spoiled/jaded/whatever with 800 hp at the tires. Its gonna be REAL hard to give that up...for anything.
    7xx to 8xx rwhp

Pulley and tune

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post
    I heard if you get a Chrysler 300 and put a Rolls Royce grill on it, it's pretty much the same thing.

Lol. Imported from Detroit.

Tri keep the wagon. Burn off some Sport Cup 2s and use the new car funds to buy more Nvidia. You're emotionally invested in the V2 and nothing else will hold a candle to it. Like you said it a 800hp Vagon!
    Last edited by Barryg; 12-31-2016 at 07:13 AM.
    2009 6MT - 708hp E63CORN-634hp/637tq 93 octane - stock cam-- 2.5/91 - ported blower/snout/90mm LS7 Mamo TB - Track Attack HX - Norcal Ice box - FIC 1000 - JMS BAP- Dsteck FF - MM catch can - ZL1 lid - AirAid Green Filter - pocket protector/side swipe-Kooks 1 7/8 Headers - 22in resonators - SW catback

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I call BS (Given)
    I call BS (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post
    Sadly, driving home from dinner last nite Mrs Tri and I rolled up on a 300C with a gloss black grille and trim package. She points and asks, "Isn't that an S8 like you drove yesterday?" That was a bit of a downer. And she was right - the S8 and the 300C do kinda have similar, if not somewhat bland, styling cues. If anything the 300 is just as visually interesting as the S8. EVERYTHING else about it - not so much!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Lol. Imported from Detroit.

Tri keep the wagon. Burn off some Sport Cup 2s and use the new car funds to buy more Nvidia. You're emotionally invested in the V2's PERFORMANCE and nothing else will hold a candle to it. Like you said it a 800hp Vagon!
    Fixed. DEFINITELY not attached to the V2. Love my wife's Audi and it's great style and ergonomics, plus the new tech and all. But dang - with all the hype videos out there about the RS7, I guess my expectations were WAY too high.

I watched TST and several other vids online of the RS7 smoking all kinds of shit at airstrip races. After watching you guys on this forum, I couldn't imagine a stock RS7 would just show up at an airstrip race and mop the floor with everyone. So it seems the RS7 press cars are tuned within an inch of their lives, or something doesn't add up. There's no way a 600 crank HP RS7 is laying wasted to 800+whp CTS-Vs, Vettes, GT-R's with likely mods, and so on. But the RS7 has been painted as some pedestal car that even modded and tuned cars can't keep up with.

I don't regularly go driving these types of cars, but for whatever reason I had an itch to scratch (and perhaps emboldened by my double on NVDA and 80% gains in two other positions...), I decided to go kick some tires. I'm kinda thankful it turned out to be a non-event...nothing worse than getting excited about a car that pricey when I should be saving a bit more for a day when social security dries up, civil unrest breaks out, or the zombie apocalypse happens LOL!!
    7xx to 8xx rwhp

Pulley and tune

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links